Jump to content
    Tim Hobson
  • Author
  • 414 Words
  • 1,641 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Coming to Love - Prologue. Prologue

Bruce's autobiography picks up as he leaves Stanford on his way to a new job in the aerospace industry outside Seattle.

“Am I in the story yet?”

I smiled at my husband, “Not quite yet, but I’ll soon arrive here for my new job and friends, and we both know where that leads.”

“But this is the part where you try to move on from your crushing loss over the death of Winston.”

“That it is, and it’s still damned hard to write about that.”

“Come here, babe.” My husband pulled me into his arms.

We were still in bed on a cold, rainy morning at our home on the eastern shore of Mercer Island in Lake Washington. Seattle was 12 miles to the northwest, across the I-90 bridge, and Renton, where I worked, was 14 miles southeast.

We bought this beach house three years ago when we decided to live together. Marriage came as a natural progression, and we often marveled at how right it felt for both of us.

I loved to rest in his embrace, safe in the knowledge that at last, I had found the man for me.

We kissed lovingly. At our age, sex was less frequent, less frantic, and longer-lasting. In addition, his situation required preparations that took a little time, so it was never spontaneous.

We weren’t interested in fucking this morning. Lying in bed naked with a warm duvet over us and listening to the rain surge and recede on the metal roof was relaxing—almost hypnotic. You have to like rain, or at least be able to tolerate it, in order to be happy living in the Pacific Northwest.

I thought to myself, I have a really good life here, after all the false starts over the years. I’m one lucky son of a bitch.

My project of writing my autobiography, at least up to this point in my life, was entering its final phase, and I was eager to write it, and perhaps even more eager to have it over with.

Leaving my lover in bed as he lazily drifted in and out of sleep, I crossed the room to my desk and switched on the tiny lamp to continue telling my story.

I paused to gaze out the picture window at the lake and rain, and then touched the mouse, bringing the laptop screen to life. The cursor blinked patiently, waiting for me to continue documenting my experiences in love and loss, success and failure, and most of all, as my mother once told me, living my life as best I can.

Let's see what Bruce is up to...and who he's into!
Copyright © 2023 Tim Hobson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 11
  • Fingers Crossed 2
As a writer, I live for reader responses—the reaction emojis and especially the comments. I also welcome direct messages (DMs) on the GA website. If you like (or hate) what you’re reading, let me know. If you have hopes for the direction that the story—and Bruce’s life—might take, please share them. And if you want to reminisce about your own experiences at that age, I bet we’d all enjoy hearing them!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I anticipate we will be seeing the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel for Bruce, a young man worthy of the love he seeks...

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I anticipate we will be seeing the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel for Bruce, a young man worthy of the love he seeks...

I see just the faintest glimmer...Live For GIF by The Weeknd

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

I just hope that light is not the train coming at us!

Well, Bruce has 8 chapters to let us know. Fingers crossed.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

An interesting prologue that peaked my interest.  At least it seems to promise a happier ending this time.  Only 8 chapters? 😄

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..