Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,247 Words
  • 5,023 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Vanguard - 5. Chapter 5

Will was early for school that morning. His Sunday had been relaxing despite the fact that Andrew hadn't been around, his mother insisting he spend the day with her, shopping. He had grumbled about it to Will Saturday night, the two of them promising to postpone their dinner together and the usual antics that came afterwards for later in the week; privacy at Brody's wasn't a possibility when hockey night in Canada was on.

Will found it more humerous that it was Andrew who seemed to take it the hardest, his recent excitement for spending time with Will only added to his frustration. And Will couldn't help but grin as he stared into the cup of Lisa's famous thermos coffee.

Lisa gave him one of her looks, suspicious of why he was grinning, and hesitant, wondering if she really wanted to ask.

Will looked up, "Andrew," he said simply, answering her question.

"I guessed that much," Lisa replied, tearing ruthlessly into one of her mother's banana muffins, pulling its cap off to get to the soft insides. "It usually is when you grin like that."

Will nodded, sitting back into his chair and tilting his mug slowly to drain the cup down his throat; he sighed expressively as he set it down, "I was just thinking of how open he was this weekend."

"Open?" Lisa asked, flicking her hair back as she fixed her green eyes on him. "Andrew's always been open."

"Well," Will blushed a little, "he was a little more open than he was at Christmas."

"I don't get how you mean," Lisa confessed. "Open how?"

Will licked his lips, a little embarrassed; he was always shy discussing his sex life with other people, "Well open, about being gay; he was...we were out in the park and he wanted to, you know...hug and stuff."

Lisa nearly choked on her muffin as she laughed at him, "I was half-expecting you to tell me you two did it in the middle of Confederation Park. So, you're saying he's more comfortable being out?"

"Well yeah," Will replied, pouring himself some more coffee. "It was nice, like a regular relationship."

"You are in a regular relationship," Lisa retorted, watching a couple of freshmen tear through the cafeteria chasing after a couple of the all too familiar green jackets of the Condor's hockey team. Hero worship was still in full force in the school.

"You know what I meant," Will said, watching them run as well.

"Well, as I remember, after that first Christmas he was pretty comfortable at school," Lisa remarked, looking back at him. "And nobody really treated him any differently."

"They did," Will replied, "but I get what you're saying. And it doesn't bother me, I like the fact he is comfortable being seen with me."

"Well," Lisa reached out to pluck a rogue strand of Will's hair and set it back into place, "I'm not really that surprised. Were you straight, half the girls in this school would be chasing you."

"Lies," Will said, blushing as he stood up. "There is only so much flattery I can stomach this early in the morning; besides I need to get upstairs before the sprogs, otherwise they will tear my classroom apart."

"You can run, William Carter," Lisa yelled as he beat a hasty retreat, "but one of these days you're going to see what we mean."

Will shook his head as he started up the stairs to the junior high wing of the school. Their high school shared facilities with the junior high, which was tucked away on one of the upper floors towards the rear of the school. Will had luckily been spared attending it having only immigrated to the school in grade nine. But the horror stories both Jared and Lisa had told him about their experiences there had made it sound terrible.

To Will it was just like high school but with smaller kids, or sprogs as he affectionately dubbed them.

He slipped off his coat, walking into the teachers' lounge to hang it up on the rack and walking over to fill a mug with the thick sludge that always passed for coffee in that building. Lisa loved the fact that he was working there; it meant she no longer had to steal coffee from the high school lounge, dodging Mister Greenwood who had noticed her foraging trips last year and had given her detention for it.

He adjusted his tie and steadied his nerves; he was always nervous first thing in the morning and had thought it would pass after the first week, but it hadn't. Like stage fright before a big performance. After all he was an "acting-teacher;" it was perfectly acceptable for him to develop stage fright.

He steeled his nerves and strode out into the pandemonium of seventh- and eighth-graders running between their lockers, talking, yelling, screaming and generally terrorizing one another. A couple of bright faces turned and greeted him with tiny voices, and Will responded to them politely, reaching into his pocket for the keys to his classroom.

He would never get used to being called Mister Carter, it was such an alien name. His father had always been called Major Carter or simply the Major. Nobody dared drop to a more informal address for him, mister was for enlisted men. So it was something that was uniquely Will's, something that would be his right into adulthood, his title that he was earning.

He fumbled the key in the lock and swung the door open, suddenly swept forward by the rush of pushing kids all wanting to get in and to their desks a few seconds before the bell went. Not because they were eager to get started on their days, but more from the fact they wanted to be inside the classroom rather than in the hall, it was more space for them to expand into.

Will shook his head wondering where Mrs. Casey was as he took his desk and began to fish out his teaching books from his satchel. Like the kids, he too had homework: correcting an English test he had given them on the spur of the moment. Pop quizzes were a great way to get even with rambunctious sprogs that had tried to make his life miserable for most of that week.

He shuffled the tests as he glanced up at the clock, nearly eight-thirty and he would have to take roll call and settle in for an hour of English, before slipping into history. He hated calling it social studies; it was a daft name for history and so very American that he refused on principal to use it. He taught history and was proud of it.

The bell rang and there was still no sign of Mrs. Casey; Will sighed to himself as he walked to close the classroom door, standing aside to let little Bobby McCormick rush to his desk, consistently a few seconds late. Bobby was such a contrast to his twin brother Peter sitting in the aisle next to him. Bobby was such an extrovert, outgoing and fun-loving, while Peter was so quiet and introverted it took everything Will had to convince him to participate in the class some days.

He turned back to the class momentarily uncertain what he should do. Normally, Mrs. Casey would be there with a lesson plan for him to run through, some guidelines about what he was supposed to work on with the sprogs. Without her guidance he felt woefully unarmed to face thirty seventh-graders, an Uzi or a good textbook would even the odds a little.

"Good morning, campers," Will said loudly as he balanced himself on the edge of his desk. "I have tests for you; I'm pleased to say none of you failed which means you're actually listening for a change." He grinned at their small faces waiting patiently for him.

Sure, he thought to himself, they looked innocent now, but he knew from experience they were secretly plotting his untimely demise, or worse yet, their next prank. He remembered one of his father's old battle adages, show them no fear....

He picked up the register and started at the top reading names and checking for hands. It felt so strange to be on the opposite end of the whole morning ritual that went on in every classroom in the school. Checking names and marking absents while he kept one eye on the door for reinforcements to arrive.

But like Monro after Fort William Henry, he was to be left to the mercy of his enemies.

He stood up and began handing the tests back as the students, noticing Mrs. Casey's absence, began to murmur amongst themselves, plotting mutiny. And he knew that if he went over the test with them they would go into full revolt. He needed a distraction and quickly.

He walked back to the front of the class and scooped up a book from the corner of the desk, a particularly dull piece of Canadianna that was being force-fed to the students because it was on the curriculum. Will shuddered; when he was their age he had been studying Shakespeare in an English private school. Here, the students had to content themselves with something that wouldn't challenge a seven-year-old to read.

He sighed as he looked up at their pained faces, knowing that they hated the book as much as he did. There were even a few groans from some of the more vocal students anticipating an hour of complete catatonic boredom.

Will dramatically tossed the book back down on the desk. "You know what?" he said, reaching down to pick up his own schoolbooks. "Who here would like to know what it's like in high school?"

He looked up at them, smiling as his ploy worked. They weren't rumbling mutiny, in fact some of them looked mildly curious to see what trick he had up his sleeve. That was good; at least he had their attention.

"Richard the Third," Will said, holding up the book. "Anyone tell me anything about him?"

"He was a king, right?" one of the kids chimed up hopefully.

"King of England," Will smirked to himself, "but not just any king." Will walked back to the front of the class, "He was considered the evilest," his voice sank conspiratorially, "nastiest King of England."

A couple of the kids leaned forward a little curious. Still others began to look bored.

"He killed his own brother to become king, murdered his own nephews. This man was an all-around bad sort of guy." Will grinned, "You may think this is boring," he directed to a couple of boys who were whispering in the back, "but it's a story about war."

That got their attention.

"Yep it's a story about war, and about love," he looked over at some of the girls and winked at them. "But most importantly it's a story all about greed."

He perched himself on the edge of his desk. "I'm not going to read it to you because you won't understand most of the language," he said simply. "But I'm going to tell you the story and we're going to discuss it just like in high school..." He affixed a dramatic tone in his voice, "Richard was born deformed, his body twisted to make him, at least in his own mind, ugly." Will twisted his body a little to add to the drama, "And he was jealous of his brother, the heir to the throne, who was in perfect health..."

* * *

Will needed a glass of water; he'd been telling the story for over an hour now, still no sign of Mrs. Casey. The class were probing him with questions, especially when he asked them what they thought about Richard the Third. It was rare that he could have their complete attention, and even rare to get them all participating in a discussion.

They'd covered Richard's rise in the book, they'd touched on some of his motivation. The jealousy and the greed. He was surprised how quick they all were, excited to actually be challenged by something, much like Greenwood had discovered about Will. Using that example, Will didn't talk down to them as he found himself enjoying the discussion as much as they were.

It was almost a shame the bell had to ring. He looked up at it in mild annoyance as a couple of students got up to rush towards the doors. He started to stand as well, noticing that a couple of the students hadn't moved and were looking at him expectantly. Little Peter McCormick amongst them.

Will froze and sat back down, relaxing into the chair behind his desk as he looked at each of them staring at him. "I suppose you want me to finish the story," he said, staring forlornly into his empty coffee mug. "Tell you what;" he decided getting up again, "why don't you borrow it from the school library, and if you get stuck on anything come and ask me. Fair?"

The students all clamored in agreement getting up themselves to finally go to their recess. Will shook his head and took off his glasses, pushing his hair out of his eyes with a hand. He had really enjoyed that, English solo down, history to go. He took a deep breath and went off in search of a refill on his coffee.

Copyright © 2010 By Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

In Australia, a seventh grader would be a high school student. Our high schools are for six years, not four. Why should seventh graders learn history and English at the same time? The Shakespearean details can wait until they're older, but the story itself is well within their capabilities. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..