Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,062 Words
  • 5,005 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Vanguard - 13. Chapter 13

The barbeque was fully loaded in the back of Brody's truck; through some unfathomable magic Jared had managed to talk the salesman down a full hundred dollars for the floor model. Sure it was left over from last year, but a barbecue was a barbecue--it didn't really matter that it was a year old or that it had a scratch on the hood.

It was secured using a couple of brightly-striped bungee cords that strained threateningly when wrapped around the big black monstrosity. Will stood with his hands on his hips looking down at it suspiciously from the loading dock.

"Are you sure that's going to hold?" he asked carefully.

"Sure," Brody said, already climbing into the cab. "It's just a quick ride home; so long as I avoid the potholes it should be cool."

Jared and Andrew were over by the little red Toyota talking amongst themselves and glancing over in their direction every so often. Will didn't pay them much heed as he stepped down from the loading dock and walked around the truck. "You sure?" he asked again, imagining a fiery explosion should the propane tank get dislodged and hit the road.

"It'll be fine," Brody said confidently, starting the truck with a turn of the key as he reached for his seat belt. "Just get in."

"Carter," Andrew called out, beckoning him over.

Will frowned and crossed to the Toyota. "Yeah?" he asked, resting a hand on the roof.

Andrew gave him a typically Canadian smile, "I was just talking it over with Jared; want your first driving lesson?"

"Now?" Will asked in surprise. "Don't I need a license or something?"

Brody had turned off the engine and was listening to the exchange.

"Well, we were thinking of just showing you the basics," Jared said, leaning out the window of the Toyota. "Quick turn around the school parking lot just to get you started."

Will looked a little dubious, "Shouldn't we off-load the truck first?"

Brody grinned, "It can wait, this I gotta see."

Will shook his head reluctantly, "Ok, but if I get arrested..."

"You'll be fine," Brody called out. "Just think of the men you'll meet in jail."

* * *

When Toyota designed and built the Tercel, they were trying to create a fuel-efficient, inexpensive car. It was designed with economy in mind, and it saved on everything, including space; but though it was cramped on the inside, the car was thrifty and dependable...and small.

Will was petrified sitting in the front seat of the car, his first time behind the driving wheel with the intent of driving the car. His heart was racing and his palms were sweaty; he kept rechecking his mirrors and adjusting the seat, anything but having to deal with the thought of the monumental step he was about to take that sunny Saturday afternoon.

Brody was sitting smoking on the hood of his truck, taking long puffs from his cigarette as he leisurely stretched out to watch the entertainment unfold. He had liberated Will's sunglasses and was wearing them as he lounged, a crooked smile on his face as he watched the fun.

Jared was in the backseat of the Toyota, his hands braced on the backs of both front seats leaning forward so that he could see everything that was going on and could offer his advice when it was needed. He grinned and patted Will's shoulder reassuringly as he continued to look excited.

Andrew, however, wasn't looking so thrilled. Even though it had been his idea, he was already beginning to have second thoughts sitting in the passenger seat breathing a little too heavily as he tried to steel himself to teach Will the fine art of driving. At least the Toyota was an automatic; there wouldn't be the nerve-wracking torture of a new driver on a clutch.

The route was to be simple---a couple of laps around the private road that looped the school. It provided access to the parking lots, and in the case of an emergency fire trucks could position themselves anywhere around the squat modern building to bring their hoses to bear. At least the paramedics would be able to get right up to them should they have to.

Andrew rubbed his face, obviously nervous, and that was doing nothing for Will's nerves. He fidgeted again.

"Don't do anything unless I tell you to," Andrew insisted, looking through the windshield, his voice firm. "Nothing at all."

"Yes sir," Will said, feeling his nervousness building a little more.

"Start the car," Andrew commanded.

Will reached down and tried to turn the key; it didn't turn. He tried again and looked helplessly in the rearview mirror at Jared, "It won't turn."

"Push the button," Jared said helpfully, pointing to the button just under the ignition switch. Will found it, pushed it and the car started. With a yelp it lurched forward startling everyone in the car.

"Brake!" Andrew yelled, clutching onto the dashboard, visions of a horrific death suddenly foremost in his mind.

Will leaned down a bit to see and moved his foot off of the gas. "Sorry," he apologized sheepishly, putting all his weight to keep the brake down.

"It's ok," Andrew said, calming down and looking back at Jared who shrugged, "Now always keep your foot on the brake when you start the car."

"Brake, right," Will repeated by rote; so you weren't supposed to push the gas when starting the car, right.

"Now slowly," Andrew stressed the word slowly, "take your foot off the brake and push down on the gas, slowly."

"Okay," Will said, glancing down again as he lifted the foot up and moved it onto the accelerator; he touched it again and the Toyota began to trundle forward. He pushed it a little harder and the car gave a burst of speed.

"Slowly!" Andrew bellowed again, still clutching onto the dash.

"Okay," Will said, sounding frightened as he eased off the gas a little. They were cruising at about twenty crossing the parking lot to the private road. Brody waved as they went past, highly entertained by the whole situation.

"Ok," Andrew said still sounding tense, "turn onto the road, take your time and lift your foot off the gas as you turn."

Will complied, the Toyota crawling around the corner at a pace that would make his grandmother happy. He cheered up happily as he realized he had made it through his first turn and he grinned up at Jared who was smiling goofily back at him.

"Now give it some gas," Andrew said. "And keep your eyes on the road," he snapped, realizing Will was staring into the rearview mirror."

"Relax," Jared said in his mellowest tone. "He's doing fine."

Will pressed down on the gas, giving it a little more than before, the car climbing towards thirty as it began to move down the small road. Will was clutching the wheel tightly, leaning forward into his seat and darting glances at Andrew hoping what he was doing was okay.

"Ok, we're coming up on a speed bump, slow down to..." The car slammed over the speed bump causing the two drivers to wince at the thought of what that had done to the suspension, "I said slow down!" Andrew was annoyed again.

"I'm sorry..." Will said, looking in the wing mirror at the yellow bump he was leaving behind, "I didn't react..."

"Bump!" Andrew warned, too late, as the car slammed over the next one as well. Andrew threw up his hands in disgust. "Eyes on the road!" he yelled.

"I'm trying," Will snapped back growing annoyed. "It's hard."

"I know it's hard," Andrew fired back angrily. "But this is dangerous, you need to stay focused and in control of the car at all times..." He looked up, "Drive on the right side of the road!"

"I am on the right side of the road," Will shot back with a slight snarl. He was losing his patience now; he didn't like being yelled at and for something that was supposed to be fun he was certainly having none.

"The right, right side of the road." Andrew cursed, "Come on, Will..."

Will looked up and sheepishly saw Andrew was right, and deflated his anger; he swung the car a little and brought it into the right lane. "Sorry..." he said quietly.

It was that point Andrew realized Will hadn't buckled his seat belt and threw up his hands expressively. "Seatbelt!" he exclaimed gesturing angrily.

Will looked down. "Shit," he said, grabbing for it and trying to press it into the clasp. As usual this proved tricky and he bent down to get a better look, snapping it home triumphantly...

"BRAKE!!" Andrew yelped

Will, in shock and surprise looked up at the road ending in a small turn and a high brick wall that was rushing towards them. He lifted his foot and plunged it down on the brake; missing it completely, his foot connected squarely with the gas pedal and the car screamed as it accelerated.

"BRAKE!!!" Andrew yelled loudly.

"TURN!!" Jared screeched from the back seat.

Andrew, seeing Jared was right, joined him in the frantic call for a turn. Will panicked, cutting the wheel sharply as the little red rocket hit the turn. They entered the parking lot where they had begun on two wheels, a rather startled looking Brody standing up on the hood of his truck as the small red car bounced back to its four wheels, three young men screaming for dear life inside of it.

"I'm gonna die!" Jared wailed seconds before Andrew grabbed and held onto the parking brake, the Toyota fishtailing to a stop a few feet away from hitting Brody's truck.

Will, his hands glued to the wheel and visibly shaking took a moment to catch up with what had just happened. He wasn't dead; he was very much alive... alive... yep, he was alive all right.

Jared pried his hands from the death grip on the back of the two seats, pale and white, shaking with fear. He exchanged a look with Andrew who had gone white. "Let me out of the car," Jared insisted flatly.

Andrew struggled to find the handle, getting out and walking away shaking his head and trying to calm down. Jared walked the other direction, leaving the shell-shocked Will clutching the wheel and staring straight ahead of him, the engine still running.

Brody calmly reached in through the window and turned off the engine, recovering the keys. Once the keys were safely in his hands he began to laugh. At first a slight chuckle, it rose in intensity to a full roar; he clutched his sides and collapsed to the asphalt he was laughing so hard.

Jared glanced back, flopping to a sitting position on the ground as well; laughing so hard tears were rolling down his face. He held up a hand. "I'm gonna die," he mocked himself and began to laugh again.

Andrew's shoulders were shaking as he too began to laugh, turning back to the car with an apologetic smile as he came back to kneel in the passenger side door, "Are you okay?" he asked gently.

Will looked grumpy, a scowl on his face at his three friends laughing at his expense. He narrowed his eyes and released the wheel, sitting back and crossing his arms, a dark look of anger on his face.

Brody cackled again; trying to get up, he used the passenger side door for support, coming up to see Will's scowl, snorting again as he collapsed back into his fit.

"I'm sorry," Andrew insisted, reaching out, still chuckling to touch Will's leg, "are you okay?"

"No, I'm bloody not okay!" Will snapped angrily. "First I get yelled at, screeched at and now I am getting laughed at!"

"I'm sorry," Andrew reassured, still trying to hide his own laughter. "It's just... well you're a menace behind the wheel."

"Well, you were the one to tell me to buckle my seat belt," Will complained.

"You were supposed to do it when you got into the car," Andrew said to his own defense.

"You said not to do anything you didn't tell me to do!" Will snapped, setting his jaw.

"He's got you there," Jared grinned back. "Man, I need a beer after that!"

Copyright © 2010 By Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Will how's he ever gonna learn to drive if everyone yells at him. Some people should not teach driving. Fun chapter thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I recently started teaching one of my sons how to drive. It wasn't anywhere near as exciting as this chapter... :whistle:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

you can only start an automatic car if it is in park or neutral so it cannot drive fwd  when it is started, just pointing that out  .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..