Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 595 Words
  • 879 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thread of Fate - 8. Chapter 8

Walking once more to the carved cedar chest atop the dresser, Oberon placed his palm over the lid. Purposely he avoided looking at the remains of rose petals and blood smudged crystal still lying upon his saturated coat. The crystal would have to be thoroughly purified before it could return to the chest, another deed for another day.

Concentrating on the task at hand, Oberon murmured the needed words to open the chest. Growing warm beneath his touch, the lid popped open with a click.

“There is something I want you to have, Kaoru. I believe it will offer you some protection.”

Reaching into the chest Oberon lifted out an oval moonstone, leaves of ivy wrought in rose gold filigree surrounded the polished stone which hung from a rope chain of the same lustrous metal. Warm to the touch it practically glowed with magic.

“For much longer than you’ve been alive I’ve imbued this stone with my life force and my magic. I want you to wear this...actually I want you to keep it.”

He held up a hand as Kaoru’s mouth opened to argue, silencing him.

“There is no such thing as chance, fate is far reaching and puts us exactly where we are meant to be. Even if I could not know before, you were always supposed to have this.”

Walking over to the young dragon, Oberon placed the chain over his head, the moonstone laying over Kaoru’s heart.

“If you are certain…”

“I have no doubt in my mind.”

Closing the cedar chest, Oberon turned to meet Kaoru’s eyes before continuing, conveying the serious and dangerous nature of what they were about to undertake.

“I know I don’t need to impress upon you just how dangerous your assailants are, it’s already nearly cost you your life once. Going on the assumption that they are indeed one and the same with the murderous organ traffickers I’ve been trailing, we know that they are desperate in their pursuit and will stop at nothing to attain their target. It’s safe to say they are watching your hotel for your return, and NO ONE is to be trusted. The doorman, reception, bellhop...nobody. Follow my lead, we must keep up the appearance of being nonchalant, just simply picking up your things.”

Kaoru listened with careful attentiveness, once more placing his life in the hands of the Seelie King. Intelligence shone brightly in his animated features and Oberon was beginning to see that he had hidden depths.

“I’m going to call our ride so we should probably head downstairs. He’ll be here in no time.”

Pulling on a fresh clean coat, Oberon turned towards the door.

“Ride? We’re not driving ourselves? I thought you just said we couldn’t trust anyone…”

“No worries about that with him. My personal car will stand out far too much and it's not ideal for the narrow maze of streets that is New Orleans. It’s highly likely that we will either need to make a fast get away or on the other hand a quick pursuit, but either way he’s the man for the job.”

Pulling his phone from the pocket of his tailored pants, Oberon scrolled through his contacts. Hovering over a name simply listed as ‘Ben’ he pushed the button, lifting the phone to his ear.

“The Hilton on St Charles. Yes, the standard rate, double if you accomplish what is needed of you. I know you’ve never disappointed before...okay we’re heading down.”

Ending the call, Oberon held the door open for Kaoru.

“Our chariot awaits.”

Fun fact: Ben is my husband IRL, and I'd have no one else for my getaway driver XD
Copyright © 2020 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

It's not a ring, but does this mean they're engaged?

Now I'm wondering not only what Oberon drives but what Ben will turn up driving.

Every single time I've been to New Orleans has been surreal.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

It's not a ring, but does this mean they're engaged?

Now I'm wondering not only what Oberon drives but what Ben will turn up driving.

Every single time I've been to New Orleans has been surreal.

 

at this time it's more a talisman of protection, and as a Louisiana native, New Orleans is a fascinating place

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..