Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 760 Words
  • 1,039 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thread of Fate - 4. Chapter 3

Something pulled Oberon’s in transient existence back into the here and now, and as his eyes slowly opened, the faint scent of hawthorn flowers still lingered in the air, metamorphosing into the coppery tang of bloodsoaked goose down.

Seconds. Minutes. Hours.

How long had he lain there vulnerable and unaware? The air around him was cold, devoid of humanity’s thrushing inner glow. Lifting his head he found the bed empty, only a vaguely man shaped indentation and his blood soaked coat remained.

Something was off kilter in the world, Oberon pushed himself to his feet, immediately searching out the carved cedar chest on the dresser. In serene solitude it sat untouched and unmoved from where he’d left it. Swallowtail wings shimmering in golden opalescent glory lay furled close against his back, and gossamer strands of moonlight hue hair cascaded down to his hips.

No glamour, no facade. Oberon was bare to the world as he truly appeared.

The air was charged with electric tension, his wings quivering with disquiet. Behind him the barest sound, a shoosh across plush carpet met his long elegantly pointed ears. On the far side of the king size bed, hidden from his view, the sound came again.

The tension ratcheted higher as Oberon took measured methodical steps around the bed, his control slipping with every inch taken. It knew that he knew, and it was panicking and cornered.

Oberon wasn’t taking chances, not anymore. Slim fangs extended down, indentating his lower lip with tearing grace, eyes glowing lavender fire. The man whose life he’d saved was missing and this was no human presence.

Wings fully unfurled behind him, their tips brushing against the ceiling above, he turned the corner of the bedside, a swirling glowing orb of energy forming above his right palm. Lifting his hand to strike, Oberon froze in his tracks. The orb fizzled and dimmed, dissipating away to nothingness. His knees hit the thick carpet with a dull thud, wings drooping to lay sad and slack against the floor behind him.

Quaking in fear, he’d curled his long serpentine body in upon itself, coiling into a ball. Jewel-like scales undulating between shades of lapis and onyx covered his long body. Sharp black claws that left furrows in the carpet as he’d pushed himself back in fear of Oberon’s wrath.

The eyes were his undoing, robbing him of all anger only to be swiftly replaced with self loathing. A dragon with doleful mahogany eyes, those eyes had never left him, not once as he’d rushed through the streets carrying his bleeding body against him. Never again could Oberon ever not know those eyes, they were ingrained inside him.

Another thing in his very very long life that he’d managed to defile and pervert. Blighting those chocolaty depths was a ring of lavender, like the beginning of sunrise fighting against the nights hold.

“Blood binds. Binds tie…”

The words of Cernunnos came back to haunt him, Oberon held up his shaking hand, moving no closer to him.

Unsure of his actions or intentions, the dragon moved to clamber back up onto the bed, attempting to put further distance between himself and the Seelie King.

Oberon could only stare dumbfounded at the Eastern Dragon examining him from his high perch. Young and inexperienced, he pushed his bluff, black mane shaking all the way down his body.

It’s him.

The dots connected somewhere and he wracked his brain trying to make them meet and nothing made sense.

He’s a dragon.

Those five men chasing him through the crowded streets of carnival, with no care to who saw or noticed. Desperation made for stupid decisions and the what ifs that might have been if he’d not been shitfaced drunk on that particular street at that time of night...He’d have disappeared into the night, hacked into pieces and parceled off so his carcass could rot and wait to be found…Alone and scared while his life seeped away.

They’d nearly succeeded in snuffing out his life and he’d been the one to pull it back from the brink. By his blood, and by his magic, the proof of their bound fates was literally staring back at him. Laid bare by the universe, both of their true forms were revealed to the other.

“Cha dèan mi cron ort.” I will not harm you.

“Bidh fuil a ’ceangal. Ceangail ceangail.” Blood binds. Binds Tie.

His eyes were soulful and encompassingly dark, they would be as voids if not for the damning ring of lavender marking him as his.

Copyright © 2020 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

But were those men the same that killed the werewolf and the other fae? Maybe Oberon has a link to them now. As for other aspects of Oberon's link to the dragon, time and future chapters -- not too long coming, I hope -- will tell us.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

A Japanese dragon, innnnnnteresting. Now a fairy dragon, too. (Sorry, couldn’t help the D&D reference.) With Oberon as his other half, will he be the savior myth suggests he is?

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

what an interesting take on cultural aspects

and even more thrilled to see others (finally!) discovering tsukihana 😉

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, NoSkis said:

what an interesting take on cultural aspects

and even more thrilled to see others (finally!) discovering tsukihana 😉

you're awesome and truthfully im just happy that people are as happy to read my world's as I am to write them. y'all help me grow ❤️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..