Jump to content
    VVesley
  • Author
  • 4,842 Words
  • 767 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Truce - 10. Chapter 10

Thank you for reading!

Ysabel Clarion was greeted royally when she reached her other brother-in-law’s estate, which was quite a contrast to her last visit to family. Damien had been stiff and cold from the get go, while Devan was clearly glad to welcome an ally to his home. Several servants welcomed Ysabel as soon as she arrived, and they made immediate moves to take her horse and refresh her from travel. A row of soldiers to either side of the path leading up to the main entrance of the manse stood regally at arms, and bowed respectfully when she walked between them.

This is unlike Devan, she thought. Devan Di Coteau was typically harsh and reserved, and was famed for being practically reclusive. The last time that Ysabel had seen him was at the most recent meeting of the thirteen. Prior to that, the previous meeting of the thirteen was the only time she got to see him. Devan did not leave his manse except to fulfill obligations of his role, so Ysabel had expected a cold welcome and a thorough search before she would be permitted to see him. Still, he doesn’t fail to impress. Anyone with eyes could see that he’s kept the strength of this region up. There were guards at every outpost on the property, and Ysabel thought she could see the tops of tents from the vantage point that the estate offered. She also noticed walls that had been erected that weren’t original to the stronghold.

Devan Di Coteau’s home had once belonged to the descendants of Saint Irridious, who was famed for aerial assassinations. As such, the architecture consisted of multiple towers that were linked via a number of sky bridges. As far as structural stability went, this wasn’t the most tactically sound fortress. Devan had been busy during his tenure, adding several walls and expanding the stone buildings that formed the bases of towers. Ysabel hadn’t been there since she was a girl, so she didn’t really have an accurate understanding of just how much work had been done, but she suspected that it was a lot.

She was led to one of the larger towers at the center of the group, and was beckoned up a spiral stone staircase. After five flights, the building opened to a wide area. There were a few doors to the edges of the room, but Ysabel couldn’t imagine that they led to rooms of a significant size. By rough estimation, this space incorporated most of the circumference of the tower. There was also a large black desk at the head of it, where Ysabel knew Devan conducted his business.

“Hello Ysabel,” said a deep voice while she fixated on the furnishings of the room. It came from her right, and Ysabel was astonished to realize that she hadn’t noticed Devan’s approach. He was completely silent despite sporting a light leather set of armor, and she hadn’t seen him in her peripheral vision.

“Devan,” said Ysabel as she turned. “It is marvelous to see you.” The sight of him made her heart pang for her husband, whose loss was still too painful to bear.

He looks so much like Darion.

“And you,” Devan replied in kind. The two grasped arms as a greeting, and Ysabel noticed that she felt naked performing the gesture without her claws on.

She had chosen not to wear them so as not to alarm anyone, given that she knew this particular territory was subject to fierce paranoia. Then again, maybe he has a right to be paranoid. When Ysabel learned that Devan had not been the one to dispatch his family as rumors had suggested, her outlook on the man had changed. Had I been in that situation… I would not have spared the assailant. Actually, I would not have spared the assailant or anyone that he had ever come into contact with. If he causes harm to come to my children… her mind flashed to the thought of Talia in captivity, and she hoped that Yago would not risk her wrath by touching her. There was no guarantee that she would be protected from other opposing generals, but Ysabel was banking on the idea that Yago would inspire fear in them and keep them in line.

Devan looked at her hands for a brief moment, and Ysabel knew he was noting the absence of her weapons. I wonder if I could take him in a fight? He’s certainly as tall as Darion was, but perhaps less wide. He doesn’t have the hulking musculature that defined so many Di Coteau men. Maybe he’s faster as a result. It would be a close call.

“I hope that you were treated well upon arrival, and had no qualms traveling up here?”

“Of course. Your staff has been wonderfully receptive – please give them my compliments.”

“Excellent. Come,” he said, “sit. There’s still some time before dinner, and my people will take care of getting your belongings to your room. I figured that we could talk for a bit about the nature of your call.”

“That sounds good,” replied the other General. They sat, Ysabel on one side of the desk in the room and Devan on the other. The offices of Nabian generals were typically designed to make visitors feel small in comparison to the general that was seated, but Ysabel was not intimidated. She felt more comfortable here than with any other current general, Elsa Torne included. People like her and the Nandra’s were allies, but she was not clued into their full list of motivations. Devan had been purely loyal to Darion, and had not made any political move of note since taking office.

“I assume that you’re here to request troops?” Devan asked. “I heard that you visited Damien before me – tell me, how is my little brother doing?”

“He’s petulant, and foolish.” Ysabel said plainly. Devan nodded at that – he was a good Nabian in that he didn’t smile, but Ysabel could tell by his eyes that her assessment amused him. “And yes,” Ysabel continued, “you are correct. We’re spread too thinly across the country, and only have enough men to hold our ground when we concentrate them. Troops have been moving up and down the center line for weeks now, trying to counteract the movements of enemies based on what intelligence we have. It feels like we’re just guessing all the time.”

“I had anticipated that,” Devan said with a nod. “Five platoons are wrapping up training within the week. They will be sent to the Capitol, for dispersal from there. We have been preparing for some time.” Ysabel was rarely surprised, but this caught her entirely off guard. She had expected Devan to be cooperative, but not outright eager. It was excellent news, but Ysabel still felt this was entirely too easy. After a few moments, she realized that Devan’s forces must me much greater than she had been aware of. If he was so willing to part with troops, they must have been only a fraction of his army. Ysabel also knew that he had money, as his territory had always produced money. Sapphires were plenty in this region, and Ysabel was certain that Devan had been building his fortune for years.

I can push for more.

“Devan… thank you. I don’t know what else to say.”

“Thank me by winning,” he replied. “Gratitude is useless – results are the only thing that I care about.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Ysabel said with a nod. “We will certainly do our best, and Alexandre will be in your debt.”

“Alexandre will satisfy that debt if he releases us from our current situation. Meritocracy is a wonderful foundation… but it has gone too far. No one is safe anymore.” Ysabel thought about Devan’s late wife and his other child, and felt bad for him. She wondered how long he had been harboring these thoughts, and just how much distaste he had grown for the Nabian rule of law.

“That’s true,” she agreed again. “Which is why we need more help. Your contribution will be extensive… but I can’t help but think you’re holding back. Why keep men in the northeast if you know the fight will be to the west? I can tell that you have strength beyond the knowledge of most other generals just by a quick walkthrough of your camp.” Devan’s mouth hardened into a line, and he clasped his hands.

“I will retain as many men as I see fit. My lands need protected, and my people need basic security. I can only grant so much.”

“The security you requisition could hardly be called basic.”

“Perhaps our standards are different then.” The answer was too quick, and Ysabel sensed that Devan knew what she would ask for. Ysabel figured that she could wine and dine another group of troops or two out of him later, which she was sure he had already calculated in. All negotiations would start low, and climb higher. It was painstaking to go through the ritual, but this was how the game was played. Both Ysabel and Devan were experts by now, and they had practically already agreed that additional soldiers would be procured for Alexandre’s army besides what was promised moments earlier.

“Very well,” said Ysabel. “We can talk about it over dinner. There is more news I’d like to discuss.”

“Yes, indeed. Do you trust the Tomacians?” Ysabel found herself surprised for a second time in their short conversation and thought that this was a very odd question to ask.

“I suppose, yes. Not all of them of course and only to a certain degree, but Alexandre has based his reformation of the country on good relations with the Tomacians.” Devan arched an eyebrow, and Ysabel continued talking. “Prince Cathcart is also respectable in most ways. He’s genuine in his affections for my family. His judgement is clouded by emotion to be sure, but I’m afraid so is my son’s.” Devan nodded, but seemed a little puzzled.

“That’s… an interesting assessment, but I was referring to more recent events.”

Recent events?

“Has something happened?” Ysabel’s interest was sparked now.

“General Nandra has been attacked,” Devan said. “Did you not hear? Laura, that is. By Tomacians from directly across the Pike.”

Now that IS surprising.

“When did this happen?”

“Not long ago. There were several casualties, but most of the dead were civilians. I’ve heard Laura herself was there, and was wounded.”

“And you’re sure it was Tomacia?”

“Absolutely. There is no question of that.” Ysabel wondered briefly who might have done that, but knew that she didn’t know enough about Tomacian nobles to understand who might make a grab for power.

I don’t think it was Richard or Carmine Cathcart – they’re likely too protective of their son to risk such a thing. By all accounts, they’re also fully bought into the civil war as well. Probably just someone trying to make a play.

“I wasn’t aware,” she said plainly.

“Will Alex respond?”

“Violently? I doubt it. All in all, I don’t think he’ll do much other than investigate. There are bound to be players on both sides that want their slice of infamy in this war. I’m sure they’ll crop up all over, more and more frequently the longer this goes on.” Devan nodded.

“I’ve already squashed a few.”

“Good to know.” The two sat quietly ruminating on this for a little while, before Devan spoke up.

“There is more news to digest? You were clearly referring to something else.”

“Ah, yes. It’s about your son Kade.” Devan went entirely still at that, and Ysabel noticed one of his hands curl into a fist. “Yes, Alex told me,” she said. “Yago does not know as far as I am aware, and I will do everything in my power to ensure that he doesn’t find out.” The tension in the air was thick, and Ysabel knew that Devan had perceived a threat.

“He’s your brother,” Devan growled.

“That doesn’t mean I owe him anything. I… I was very sorry to hear what had happened. When I found out that it was Yago just recently… I knew that you were telling the truth.”

“Of course I was. What kind of man slaughters his own family?”

“Plenty in Nabius,” Ysabel countered.

“Not me.”

“I know.”

“Why has this news travelled? Alexandre promised to protect him should something go wrong – not spread word of his existence.”

“Yes,” Ysabel said, “he did. And he’s doing more right now to protect Kade than anyone else as far as I can tell. It wasn’t his idea, but he and his advisors may have found a solution for Kade’s safety.” Devan visibly relaxed, though his eyes still betrayed grave concern.

“What kind of a solution?”

“Marriage.” Devan’s eyes went wide at that, and he gave one single, loud laugh.

“Ha! Who on earth would Kade be able to marry here without endangering himself? Half of the value of a marriage with him is his link to the Di Coteau line – a line that I’m sure you realize is under heavy fire.”

“Indeed. But you’ve pointed out the problem with a single word in your rebuke: ‘here.’”

“Kade… is going to leave Nabius?”

“Precisely. To be quite honest, I’m surprised none of your spies have reported back to on the matter of his suitor. I left Adrian Fray, Prince of the Illjard with him some time ago. I’m certain that they’ve been in close contact since.”

“I do not employ spies to watch over him. Any intelligence I have on my son comes from me directly.” Ysabel nodded, thinking that was probably smart. Had Devan asked about the affairs of a random commoner, anyone assigned the task of gathering intelligence would realize who they were looking into. They probably wouldn’t guess that Kade was a trueborn Di Coteau, but they would have at least guessed he was a bastard based on his looks alone.

He resembles the men of our family too much. He has the face, and the muscular build as well. Alex certainly inherited the looks, but his build takes after the Clarions. You could argue that Kade is more a Di Coteau than my son.

“I see. But you do have intelligence at the borders of your lands – surely you knew an Illjardi was here.” Devan nodded at that, admitting he was aware.

“Of course. Their skin and hair makes them stand out to anyone who sees them – not just spies. I was aware you were in the company of one, but I didn’t realize who he was. The prince of the Illjard…” Devan trailed off of that last sentence, his mind working rapidly to process what Ysabel had told him. “They’ll have to announce his pick, and why Kade is eligible.”

“That he’s your son.” Ysabel had finished the thought for him and was, as always, impressed with Devan’s ability to adapt to changing circumstances. “Yes. But our hope is that they’ll be in the Illjard long before that.”

“This… is an excellent idea. A much finer match than he probably could have hoped for otherwise, and it gets him mostly out of reach from my enemies.”

“That’s what we thought. It was Prince Cathcart who suggested this in the first place.”

“I see. That is… good to know. Tell me honestly – do you think he will be safe?”

“I can’t think of a safer place than a frozen wasteland. No one from the mainland has ever tried to conquer the Illjard – it’s just too harsh a climate.” Devan nodded, and Ysabel thought she saw tears well in his eyes. “I don’t think anyone will try. Yago can be… persistent, but the homogeny of Illjardi culture should alert the prince to any rumblings or future danger once they’re there. He’s already been warned that Kade will need extensive protection.”

“Thank you, Ysabel. This is the best news I have been brought since the night my wife died.” His voice cracked with emotion at that sentence, and Ysabel thought this highly irregular.

He has always been stoic, even more stone-hearted than Darion. I have never seen emotion on Devan – how strange.

“Good. Let us take care of things, Devan. We can handle it.” Ysabel was doing her best to sound soothing, but it ended up coming out sounding a bit aggressive. Consolation wasn’t her strong suit. Devan glanced up at her with mild confusion on his face, but she hoped he got the message that she was trying to deliver. “The only thing that we ask is that you have our backs. We’re counting on you.”

***

Marion reviewed all of the information that she had amassed over the past few days, and tried her best to make sense of it all. The task felt monumental, and she had reached out to her tutor Almanita Nandra for advice the very night that Alexandre Di Coteau had stayed in her home. Having him as a guest felt like an insult to the memories of her family, and she had debated killing him almost the entire time he was there. Her head eventually won out over her heart, but the internal struggle felt like it was ripping her in two.

Thank you for your guidance, Almanita, she thought. Almanita had written her a response that arrived just an hour earlier, and it steadied Marion’s conscience. She says I did the right thing. I have to believe that I did the right thing. Marion knew that she had, despite how bad it had felt.

I had him at my mercy. I could have exacted anything out of him, and yet I chose to let him live and move on. His future actions will never cleanse the mistakes of his past, but sparing him was necessary. In the long run, a rebellion victory in Nabius will help Ironia out more than the young general’s death. She sighed, knowing that this is what her parents would have wanted. I have to put the people ahead of myself. And so I shall.

Marion had seen selfless acts before, but rarely had to partake in any. Growing up, she hadn’t wanted for anything – but in return she had always been kind to those around her. Her wealth had been shared with her friends regardless of their class, and no one in the Monciet territory had been subjected to abject poverty that she had seen. The Monciets had always spread their good fortune out amongst the people, and Marion had done the same simply by way of emulation. When everyone is taken care of… nobody has to give anything up.

For a while Marion thought that this was what had made her family weak, and was what allowed the occupation in the first place. Alex had simply been able to march up, storm the castle, and take it by force directly after he graduated from the Mullansburg academy. He had been her same age when he conquered the Monciet lands, and Marion couldn’t help but compare herself to him at the time. She had done nothing to resist, and was simply handed her fate. I can’t let something like that happen ever again. Nobody controls my fate – nor the fate of Ironia.

We should have been more prepared. But preparation and doing the right thing aren’t mutually exclusive, I guess. I was raised to be better than revenge. I can be strong and help Ironians at the same time. Marion confirmed her thoughts with a reread of Almanita’s letter, in which some reading between the lines was necessary. Almanita wrote of the sisterhood that she conducted, and had named Marion her successor. Jezebel was mentioned nowhere, and Marion wondered if she would be ostracized.

After all, Almanita’s group of girls was designed to spread knowledge in the hopes that it might help the world. Marion knew that Almanita was the last member of a once great tribe that had existed in patches spread out amongst Nabius, Ironia, and the provinces. The knowledge of poisons and alchemy that she had passed along was exclusive to the group, and was all that remained of Almanita’s heritage. While some members of the group used it exclusively for violence, Marion knew that what she had learned had great potential for healing as well. If Almanita trusted Marion to continue her legacy, that meant that Almanita had faith in Marion’s abilities to heal – both physical ailments and the world around her.

It’s the reason my parents let me join in the first place. Almanita was trusted because she was a member of the Hallowed Order – when she went off script and suggested a covert group of girls under her own command, several people were skeptical. But my parents never doubted her… And now I need to do what I can to pass that knowledge along and help the world recover from the blight of Nabius.

Marion folded the letter in her hands up, and set it down on her desk. There was a new blackened star pattern burnt into the wood on it’s surface, and she lazily traced her finger around it’s edges. And perhaps the blight that includes Jezebel. Her sister in arms had turned on her, and Marion’s first reaction at discovering Jezebel’s plans enraged her. Jared had alerted her immediately of the shipment that Jezebel had sent to the Monciet estate, and it hadn’t taken long for her to discover what it meant.

I can’t believe that she would endanger us like that. Jezebel had routed the wagon of explosive powder through Alexandre’s territory by way of one of their sisters at the Di Coteau manse, Elizabeth. Then, another girl had taken it from the Nabian territory to Marion’s doorstep. Marion didn’t even know her name, but her recital of Almanita’s vows had confirmed that she was a member of the sisterhood. She had been given instructions to apply fire to the entire pile once all of the leaders were near, and was promised a reward. When Marion lit a small amount of the substance on fire on her desk, she was shocked to see the immediate reaction that had damaged her desk.

Jezebel would have killed two of her sisters in arms just to get her revenge. She has betrayed me. Thank the gods that Jared was suspicious and brought my sister to me before she had the chance to kill herself. She likely didn’t even know what she was doing.

Marion had plenty of time to dwell on the subject of betrayal after getting the note, and finding out that Almanita’s wife had been injured. Someone in Tomacia had betrayed the alliance with Nabius, and had wounded Laura. Marion had come to realize since that there were disloyal people everywhere, and knew that she needed to be more self-reliant if she wanted to get through this war.

It’s what good leaders do. They might make compromises, she thought while envisioning the face of Alexandre, but they also consolidate their own strength. Marion thought of the Ironians that were now slowly being released back into her territory, and dreamt of the army that she could put together. She also now had a new weapon, in the form of a giant cart full of explosive powder from Jezebel.

This is good, she thought. I’ll become more armed than the past Monciets before me, and I can use this new technology to prosper. I’ll be able to take care of my people, and bring glory back to Nabius. I also now know who is truly loyal to me – and who is willing to cross lines. She thought of Luca, her mind painting him as an example of someone who could develop a fierce loyalty to ideals. Even though he wasn’t born in Nabius, Marion knew that he was someone who could rise to power regardless of his background and past. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself, and shrug off the past. If a slave boy can manage that, so can I. While she was thinking of it, Marion made a mental note to write to Luca to warn him of Jezebel’s attempted assassination. Luca had explained that she had made other attempts, but she figured that it couldn’t hurt for him to be in the know. If she was back to mounting attacks on the allies that trusted her, someone needed to be warned. Marion couldn’t abide writing to Alexandre for a while, but she knew that at least one person would be able to write without complete distaste.

She picked up the note from Almanita, and began to make her way to the aviary to compose a message. I’m going to be a good leader. And I’m going to develop the strength that I need. Now that revenge no longer cripples my focus… the world is going to get reintroduced to Marion Monciet. Thank you for all of your lessons Almanita.

***

Carl and Alex had made their way through the north of Nabius and down the center line several miles. They had chosen to bypass the Di Coteau estate on their way, leaving Luca and Eamon to return there in a rushed goodbye. It would still be another few days before they could get to the Capitol, and then to Laura Nandra’s territory after that.

“I can’t believe this. Whoever it is, they are going to feel every ounce of pain that they’ve caused returned tenfold,” Carl said.

“Careful there,” quipped Alex, “it sounds like I might be rubbing off on you.”

“I wish you were rubbing off on me,” said Carl immediately back. The pair paused, made eye contact, and then laughed out loud at the joke the Tomacian had made.

“Ahh,” he continued. “I just don’t know how to even take this. I swear I had a lot more control over the kingdom when I was growing up there.”

“We expected that your authority would take a hit,” said Alex with a shrug. “There’s not much to be done but take action.”

“I know.” Carl gritted his teeth, and urged his horse onwards. The two were riding side by side, and a slow pace. The sun was going down, and they had ridden hard for most of the day. Carl wondered if Alex was as exhausted as he was, or if the effects of doubt and uncertainty on his mind had worn him down more than usual.

“We’ll get through this,” said Alex while looking straightforward. Carl turned to look across at him, but Alex pressed on forwards.

How can he stay so focused all the time? I can’t decide whether I admire it, or if I’m jealous of it. Or if I don’t ever want to be that way. The past few days had taken a heavy toll on Carl’s mind. He knew that there would be unrest, but Tomacia was supposed to be a land of virtue and acceptance. He briefly thought back to an assassin that Talia had dispatched during his wedding. Maybe he had been after me instead? He shook the thought from his head, and followed Alex a bit further. Hoping that they would stop to rest soon, he replayed his interactions with Eric Chamberlin for the hundredth time.

He has always been so kind… like an uncle to me. And Brian… Brian was Eric’s son, and longtime friend to Carlisle. The bond there had made the thought of a Chamberlin betrayal even more painful, and Carl didn’t know how he would be able to deal with this in a way that wouldn’t damage his friendship with Brian. He hoped that Mr. Chamberlin wasn’t the defector, but all signs pointed that way. He was opposed to sending troops to help Alex in his time of need. He also never showed at our wedding, and was stealing mail to my parents from the Order… Now that Carl knew that Eric Chamberlin was a member of the Hallowed Order himself, this made the scenario even more suspicious.

Thank you Jared for that. If he was trying to keep the Cathcart throne from being up to date with what was going on in a society that we have membership in… Carl frowned, realizing that he couldn’t draw a conclusion from this. He sighed.

When he and Alexandre finally stopped to make camp, he determined that he would write a letter to his parents directly. For now, I can’t make any moves. I’m just going to let them know to not trust Eric Chamberlin, and begin an internal investigation into the mobilization of troops against Laura Nandra on the Pike.

“I’ll build the fire if you erect the tent,” Alex said.

“I can erect a tent alright, Carl said with a suggestive look down his own body.” Alex gave a wink, and went off to search for firewood.

Ugh. Why does life have to be so damned complicated?

Copyright © 2018 VVesley; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The proposed marriage of Kade to Adrian awakens long dormant emotion into the normally stoic Devan. I'm with Ysabel in wondering how he repressed the need for revenge against Yago for murdering his family.

Marion now knows the depth of Jezebel's deceit. It appears Jez will soon be on the outside looking in.

I'm more than surprised that Alex and Carl are traveling alone. They make a tempting target. Decapitating the primary leaders of the rebellion would be a devastating blow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Devan is proving himself more capable than anyone probably thought, he was afterall supposed to be the one with the brains. Unable to take on Yago alone, I think he has been building up and patiently praying for this moment when he would be able to help bring the viper down and exact some revenge for his murdered family. I think too that with the chances of Kade now being safe and having a better future, he will look forward to being able to meet with Kade as father and son once more.

Hope Marion takes steps to deal with Jezebel. I wonder why she feels the needs to build an army and have this powerful new weapon if there is to be peace throughout the continent.

Carl is torn over the suspected betrayal of his best friends father. Since the Hallowed Order probably wants to see Alex create a new world, I can only guess Chamberlin is in league with Yago and getting orders from there. Speaking of, after everything he's done and is doing I'm surprised Ysabel still feels that her blood ties to him would give her any special consideration. I sense there will be a huge showdown between these two, a classic matchup, deviant arch villain vs pissed off mother. 

Thanks for the new chapter, now I wait with keen anticipation for more.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The proposed marriage of Kade to Adrian awakens long dormant emotion into the normally stoic Devan. I'm with Ysabel in wondering how he repressed the need for revenge against Yago for murdering his family.

Marion now knows the depth of Jezebel's deceit. It appears Jez will soon be on the outside looking in.

I'm more than surprised that Alex and Carl are traveling alone. They make a tempting target. Decapitating the primary leaders of the rebellion would be a devastating blow.

I think the patient and reserved type often make the most dangerous.

I would agree, but Jezebel has never really been on the "inside." I think things are more like her goals aligned with Marion's, and now they don't.

I didn't write in any back up soldiers, but I imagine they're traveling with a small group to be fast. On the east side of the line, they're in relative safety.

 

Thanks for reading and the comment!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Goodie said:

Devan is proving himself more capable than anyone probably thought, he was afterall supposed to be the one with the brains. Unable to take on Yago alone, I think he has been building up and patiently praying for this moment when he would be able to help bring the viper down and exact some revenge for his murdered family. I think too that with the chances of Kade now being safe and having a better future, he will look forward to being able to meet with Kade as father and son once more.

Hope Marion takes steps to deal with Jezebel. I wonder why she feels the needs to build an army and have this powerful new weapon if there is to be peace throughout the continent.

Carl is torn over the suspected betrayal of his best friends father. Since the Hallowed Order probably wants to see Alex create a new world, I can only guess Chamberlin is in league with Yago and getting orders from there. Speaking of, after everything he's done and is doing I'm surprised Ysabel still feels that her blood ties to him would give her any special consideration. I sense there will be a huge showdown between these two, a classic matchup, deviant arch villain vs pissed off mother. 

Thanks for the new chapter, now I wait with keen anticipation for more.

Devan will definitely have his moment - he's what I imagine a truly capable general of Nabius to be.

We will just have to wait and see about Jezebel and Chamberlin!

 

Thank you for reading and the review!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..