Jump to content
    VVesley
  • Author
  • 3,047 Words
  • 2,438 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bond - 2. Chapter 2

“Yes, your majesty,” Talia said, drawing out the last word with such a ridiculous flair that it was impossible not to know it was mocking. The queen looked at her long and hard, a beautiful set of emerald eyes giving the most piercing gaze. Her mouth twitched slightly, and Talia smiled. After a few seconds, the queen couldn’t help but smile back and give a laugh.

“You have got to stop calling me that Talia. You know that you can call me whatever you want.” Queen Carmine Cathcart’s face was kind, and her smile was warm. Talia loved this woman, and thought of her almost as a mother.

This was the kind of mother I should have had.

“And besides, the whole of Tomacia knows that we are on a first name basis. No need to put up a front, our walks in the market have made sure of that already.” It was true. Talia had recently taken to walking the streets with Queen Cathcart, admiring what was for sale and observing Carmine’s way with people. Even Talia had to admit she was good. There was no hint of manipulation in her voice, no subtleties that let others know what she wanted to gain. Sometimes Talia didn’t even know what the purpose of the queen’s talks with beggars and the average middle class salesman were. She considered occasionally that there was no gain, and the queen was simply being benevolent, but she knew in her heart that no leader maintained their power by being nice. And she knew that the queen would know this too – she was a sensible woman, and was highly intelligent. In fact, Talia had come to find that she was a scholar before she was a leader. This fact had revealed itself on one of their many talks together since she, her brother, and a few of their companions had arrived in Tomacia.

The country had a complex system of laws and courts, and the queen was no stranger to them. She had studied for years to know the ins and outs of the law, and often oversaw the trials of men and women, and assigned punishments only according to the strict guidelines set forth by the litigation at hand. She had done so before even meeting her husband, and before becoming a mother to Carlisle Cathcart, Prince of Tomacia. Talia reflected on the idea that this was a woman of conviction, but also reason. She wondered if their friendship would last after it was made known that Talia was a Di Coteau, daughter of the most prominent enemy family on the continent. Or perhaps she knows already… I know she knows I’m well off, and there aren’t too many Talias around. She cut suspicious eyes the queen’s way for just a second, but the shrewd woman noticed them immediately.

“Now Talia, I know you don’t trust the people of this town, but I can assure you that they mean you or any of your companions no harm. The people here listen to me because I listen to them. And if you are treated by my family as honored guests, the townspeople will treat you the same.” Talia looked back at her, and smiled genuinely. It was a new thing for her, smiling without baring teeth. Or perhaps she smiled the same way as she always had, but no one quaked in fear when she did so here.

Well, no one except Roark. He’s probably the weakest of Alexandre’s guard though I suppose.

“I’m aware of that Carmine. But I see so many flaws in this system of trust that governs Tomacia. It’s just too risky. Surely you have some sort of failsafe for times of rebellion?”

Carmine smiled right back, and answered Talia’s question matter-of-factly. “Honestly, there has never been a time of rebellion against the crown here.” Seeing Talia’s look of eye-rolling disbelief, she laughed again. “I don’t mean to say that there haven’t been times that were stressful here. There were. It’s just that the monarchs of this place have always done a good job in listening to what the people want, and ensuring that their goals align with those of the common folk. It’s how we keep order.”

“And if you believe in something that the townsfolk might not?”

The queen raised an eyebrow and thought for a moment. “I can’t think of an issue that would be so divisive as to get between the crown and the people.”

That might change, thought Talia.

“There may be some in the future. Are you prepared for that at all?” Talia crossed her arms, looking at the older, but still beautiful woman that stood across from her.

Carmine sighed, and motioned for her companion to begin walking. They did. “Yes. If all else fails, I believe that we could consolidate control of Tomacia rather quickly.”

“Good. I’m glad to hear that.” The queen looked at Talia as they walked, and rolled her eyes with a smile.

“One day, I hope you learn to let go of your Nabian doubts and skepticisms. It is better to rule those who love you than to rule those who fear you.”

“I disagree. Love and the lack of caution that comes with it leads to betrayal and destruction.” The queen began to open her mouth to reply, but Talia spoke before she could. “Every single time.” The queen closed her mouth again, and thought carefully.

“Let’s go to south street today. I hear that there is a new merchant in town that sells the most adorable clay figurines.”

“That sounds wonderful.”

***

“Carl, you know we have to tell them soon.” Alexandre sat on his new bed, shared with the Prince of Tomacia in his private quarters. Technically it was Carlisle’s old bed, given that the room that they now lived in was his room growing up as a child. He had evidently lived a life of luxury as a child, because the room that they were in now was much larger than the room that he had lived in during his later teenage years and those of early adulthood. The room was massive, adorned in gold and blue and still holding onto a few remnants of Carl’s past. The night before, Alex had noticed that there once might have been stars painted on the ceiling.

“I know… I just don’t want to right now. Let’s go swimming. The lake seems like it will be warm today.” Carl was looking out the window, down into one of many massive interior courtyards at the Cathcart palace. In its center was a huge lake, sparkling blue that reflected light so intensely Alex could make out the wavy, watery patterns on the wall even from several stories up. Alexandre frowned.

“Don’t change the subject. You know that I’m right, and that your father is suspicious enough. Besides, I’m going to have to return to Nabius soon as it is… and your mother has probably already guessed correctly anyway. I’m surprised she hasn’t had someone try to drown me in that very lake yet.” Carl looked horrified. Alex cocked an eyebrow, and waited for a reply.

“Okay, fine. We won’t go swimming in the lake. We could go swimming in each other though,” Carlin said with a devilish wink. He walked from his place near the window over to the bed, placing his strong hands on Alexandre’s hips. Still standing, he pulled Alexandre across the bed onto his back until his pelvis made contact with Alex’s rear end. Alex wanted to shove him off and talk seriously, but he could not resist this man.

His hair is so nice when it’s all tussled from just waking up. And what’s nicer… Alexandre slid his hand down the flat ridges of his lover’s stomach. When he got below the navel, he heard a sharp intake of breath. Even lower, Carlin let out a low moan, verging on the edge of a growl. “Do you like this?” Alex asked as he began to slowly stroke his partner. Carl gave nothing but a nodding of the head up and down, while his breath got raspy.

“Then talk to me about what I’m trying to talk about,” Alex said curtly as he jerked his hand away and crossed his arms. The look of hurt and betrayal in Carl’s eyes almost made Alex feel bad, and would have if he hadn’t known that his boyfriend was milking his good looks for all they were worth. “Don’t give me that,” Alex said indignantly at the pouty face that the handsome man across from him now sported. Carl persisted for a few moments later, but eventually caved to Alexandre’s steely reply looks. Sighing, he spoke.

“Fine. You’re right, we need to tell them.” Alex nodded, and gave a small smile.

“Yes, we do. And I want you to know that it’s not that I haven’t been enjoying my time here. Your family is wonderful, and the people here have been more than welcoming. But even you have to admit that this has gone on a little long. I’m sure there are people who have guessed who I am but don’t believe it because of just how outlandish the truth really is.”

“You’re right. I’m pretty sure that my mother knows – there aren’t many noble Nabian families with a Talia and Alexandre.”

“Do you think she’s being nice because of what she believes?” Carl gave a funny look, and scrunched up his face.

“What do you mean?”

“About… my father.”

“Oh.”

Alex knew that Carl felt guilty from the moment that they had arrived because everyone believed that his mission to Nabius had been a success. Indeed, he had gone to Darion Di Coteau’s estate, and now the man was dead. It wasn’t difficult to put the two together, even though that’s not exactly how it had happened. If Queen Carmine believes that her son killed the father of who she suspects me to be, maybe she takes pity.

“Well, it certainly complicates the matter given that she and the rest of this place knows that we’re lovers. But maybe. I don’t know. I’d like to think that she and my father are nice simply because I’ve made a great choice.” Carl gave a hopeful smile, and Alexandre’s hint of a blush and smile gave him the courage to get on the bed and get even closer, to the point where their noses were almost touching.

“I think she’s a good woman. And my sister has taken a liking to her. Which is all the more reason we need to tell her the truth. Our whole plan of alliance hinges on her accepting us.”

“When do you want to tell her?” Alex paused, and thought hard and solemnly. Eventually, he reached a conclusion.

“They invited us to a formal feast in celebration of summer harvest four days from now. Does that work?” He knew that Carl wouldn’t have liked any amount of time given to him, but hoped that four days would be enough for mental preparation. As suspected, Carl frowned and opened his mouth to protest. But as Alex waited to hear his reaction, Carl closed his mouth and thought a bit more.

“What do I get out of it?” Alex did a double take, and was confused.

“Excuse me?”

“You’re always telling me to think about what I say, and extort situations for the most that I can get. Very Nabian, but I think there’s some wisdom in that.” Alex was surprised at his partner taking his advice in this situation particularly, but broke into a sly smile once he started catching on.

“Oh. Well what would you like?” he asked, slowly lifting his shirt off of his shoulders so the skin just above his manhood showed.

“I was thinking about swimming…”

***

Carl walked through his home with ease and pride, smiling and waving to the men and women that had been his friends and family for his entire life. This was his domain, and he was happy and comfortable here. But it’s all going to change. Just a few hours now. He had enjoyed having Alex in the castle, and loved introducing him to all of his friends since he had been here. Everyone loved Alex, minus a few women who were bitterly jealous. Even so, they made all of the efforts they could have to be polite.

And Alex… Carl could tell that his lover was enjoying his stay. He talked enthusiastically with the master at arms, and had learned a few Tomacian poses and fighting forms, though his instructor clearly had no idea about what to make of his hookswords. Simple broadswords were all anyone used in Tomacia – the showmanship and glamor in killing simply didn’t exist there. All the same, he was glad to see Alex happy, and relaxed for once.

Not that his above average performance in the bedroom when he wasn’t stressed hurt either. Carl looked around as he walked, entering a hallway that connected to the outdoors. Rows of arched stone windows exposed him to the air, and he felt the warmth of the sun on his skin. He noticed it was red, a true harvest sun. At every corner, there were people that loved him and only wanted what was best for each other. In every house was a family that was more or less happy and remained loyal to leaders that truly cared about them. This was his vision for the future, and he was lucky enough to only have to try and maintain the equilibrium that his parents had set up when he ruled. And with Alexandre by my side… he frowned. Will he be by my side, if he’s in Nabius? Carl didn’t like that this issue was unresolved, but shook is head. More important things to do right now.

As he walked down the hallway, he noticed Barclay sitting in the yard, chatting to a young lady that probably was the only person on the entire continent that might have a shot at outweighing him. Carl smiled, and moved on. This is the way it’s meant to be. Alexandre deserves this too. I want there to be hope in every corner in Nabius too, not killers in every corner. But this lofty goal needed approval from his parents first, and that was the real issue at hand. Speaking at dinner would be difficult, and he needed to rehearse what he was going to say.

He began running over a few things in my mind. Hey Dad… you know that guy you sent me to kill? Well here’s his son! No… no. Mom, you’ve come to know and love Alex, right? Well it turns out he’s actually a Nabian General! Isn’t that interesting? …no. I don’t know. I’m getting married and saving the world and ending the war and you’re going to have to deal with it because my mind is already made up. Maybe I should skirt around the issue a little at first? Or maybe – Carl was cut off by an approaching Mikhail, who seemed to have something on his mind.

“Mikhail! Good to see you. Can I do something for you?” The anxious look on the man’s face made Carlin slightly uncomfortable.

“Well… yeah. I was just wondering, since you’re the prince and all… may I have your go to leave?” Carl was surprised at the question, and didn’t say anything. Rather his mouth just opened and shut. Only once Mikhail cleared his throat to non-verbally ask for an answer did Carl realize he hadn’t said anything.

“Oh, yeah, of course. Any reason for your early departure?”

“I heard you and Alex were telling everyone who we were tonight.” Mikhail looked guilty when he said it, and Carlisle slowly picked up the implications.

“Ah. Yes… we are. But I promise you, no one would ever hurt you here, you’re under my protection and –“

“Yes, yes, I know. I don’t doubt you. But honestly I was just an excuse to get all of your weapons through the borders along the way, and out of all the Nabians here, I’m the only one that doesn’t fight well. I mean I fight, but I’m not academy trained or anything like that.” Carl nodded his understanding, and placed a hand on Mikhail’s shoulders.

“You may go at any time. I can’t thank you enough for all that you’ve done for us.” Mikhail nodded, a silent gesture of appreciation.

“I hope to see you back at the Di Coteau manse again some time. Under different circumstances, of course,” he said cheekily. Carl smiled and gave Mikhail a hug. The two said goodbyes, and Carl walked on.

I wonder why salesmen and smiths aren’t expected to behave like every other Nabian. That’s kind of a funny tradition. He heard Talia’s voice coming from somewhere outside, and listened briefly to see that she was with his mother again, per usual.

I wonder if she likes him too. Truthfully, Carl didn’t think Talia would notice even if Mikhail were even more obvious. If that was even possible. She knows when men are interested in her, and she uses that full well to her advantage. But I wonder if she knows when someone likes her. He briefly considered that actual love and feelings in relationships in Nabius didn’t happen too often, so there’s good reason for Talia to be oblivious.

And she seems so distant… Carl remembered a night on the road in which he had killed an assassin coming for Alexandre without waking him, just so his precious boy could get some sleep. Talia had seen, and made remarks about what it was like to care for another person, truly care. The look in her eyes was longing, in a very sad way. He resolved to make sure he got to know her better at some point.

Perhaps a bit of Tomacian friendliness would be good for her. Her voice faded away, and realized that he needed to wash up for dinner. Reaching the end of the hall that lead into another wing of the castle, he opened the door, and started to brace himself.

Lets hope nobody dies at dinner tonight.

Thank you for reading!
Copyright © 2016 VVesley; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So different approaches to life. Maybe they can learn from each other and meet in the middle. Although I prefer the Tomacian way.

 

I'm not envious of the boys coming clean and telling the truth. That's quite a bomb they're about to drop.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well, Talia understands what it takes to rule in her homeland; but do have to wonder if this land is that much different?

 

Can't wait for this dinner conversation; it is going to be very interesting...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Good chapter. Getting a closer insight into Tomacian society was very eye opening for me as well as the Nabians. As enlightened as they appear to be though, they are not above a little political assassination. I'm sure they have their vices too, but they certainly seem more civilized than the savage Nabians. Mind you, how they react to Carls' news should be interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..