Jump to content
    Wicked Witch
  • Author
  • 1,242 Words
  • 1,197 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Soul To Receive - 3. Chapter 3

The city loomed high above us as the carriage headed for the massive front gates. I stared in amazement from my seat at the window, trying to soak in every detail. The guards snapped to attention as we rolled under the portcullis and through the dark tunnel, emerging out into sunlight moments later.

An entire small city spread out in front of my eyes as I craned my neck. It was so unlike Ardmere, which had no walls or keep, no active military. Everything was small and low, spread out like a giant sprawl, cobbled together throughout the ages. Here, buildings were tall and squished together, all of the latest design, modern and shining white with new lime and wood.

I glanced to Aric with a wide smile. “Wow! It’s amazing Sir.”

He smiled mildly, nodding in agreement. “The people of Graye had done a grand job.” He slid onto the other window seat to watch the sights with me. “The merchant caravans have made Graye rich and the walls have made it safe.” He sounded proud of his city.

The carriage turned a corner and we passed a towering spire. I gaped in wonder, reaching out the window to try to see its top with no luck. “The White Tower. It used to be home of the High Magi.” Aric explained and I looked back questioningly.

“What happened to the High Magi?”

“He left. No one knows why but perhaps it was for the best. His magic was powerful, and therefore dangerous. But lets not concern ourselves with the spooky.” He shook his head in dismissal of the question. “Here, you should see this.” I followed the direction of Aric’s outstretched finger and let out yet another gasp.

A huge edifice of carved stone and sparkling coloured glass towered over the street, sporting a giant pointed tower that reached to the clouds, carved with a representation of the God. Silent guardians in the garb of monks stood outside, like statues. For some reason it was them that my eyes alighted on. They seemed infinitely lonely, gaping holes in the crowds around them. The people avoiding them out of respect. I couldn’t help but consider what a horrible thing that would be; being placed on such a pedestal that no one would reach out and actually touch you anymore.

In a way it seemed to fit with the entire thing, the whole building like those monks. A holy, intimidating edifice, full of majesty but so distant it seemed unreal, no longer part of the same world. I’d been taught about the God of course but the faction of the Holiness that ran the schools of Ardmere was a humble order of scholars, the utter opposite of this spectacle.

These thoughts occupied my mind until the cathedral disappeared mostly out of sight, though it seemed parts of it could be seen from all across Graye. Its spire towered above the neighbours so far that we could still see the tip even as we neared the gates of the inner wall. I looked away when the grating sound of the giant portcullis raising distracted me, dragging my eyes to the arched gate through which we passed into the castle courtyard.

“Welcome to Castle Graye.” Aric smiled, nodding in thanks to a servant who opened the carriage and I stepped out behind him. I felt suddenly tiny as I looked up.

Castle Graye sat like a monster above us, a convoluted mess of buildings stuck together over the ages. Square towers, round towers, pointy towers, flat towers. Fat keeps and thin keeps. Some parts of white stone, others of black, yet more in gray. All bizarre, yet together it made it seem formidable - like some sea creature that had grown up over the rocks and would never be shaken loose.

I couldn’t seem to articulate any response to seeing Castle Graye for the first time. It made the temple I’d just thought so massive look like a normal home next to this thing.

“What do you think?” I turned my eyes to Aric when he spoke, smiling when I saw his eager gaze. He seemed excited to know what I thought.

“I-t, it’s . .. . wow?” I mumbled, blushing nervously at fumbling my words and somehow making it sound like a question. I wanted to slap myself right then. “It’s amazing Sir. I’ve never seen anything so huge.” I managed to spit out when I recovered my train of thought.

“She will be happy to know she impressed another one.” A burly man in armour seemed to have approached while I was starstruck. He smiled jovially, dipping his head in my direction in greeting.

“She?” My question hung in the air, not to be answered.

“Ah, Sir Galt! Good to see you again.” Aric hugged the man with a grin on his face.

The big man’s wide smile grew even wider. “And you as well My Lord. You picked up some company I see?”

Aric nodded, putting a hand on my shoulder. “Sabien, this is Sir Galt - he was my bodyguard when I was a boy and now he is the Fortress Commander. Galt, this is Sabien. He’s a . . . survivor of Ardmere.”

The man shook my hand. I hid a grimace at his tight grip but smiled back gently. “Uh, hello.”

“Good to meet you, Sabien. Welcome to Graye.” He released my hand from his vigorous grip eventually, because he had to turn to follow Lord Aric.

I shook the crushed muscles to relieve the tingling and hurried after the pair, towards a heavy oak entrance. I wondered if these things were throughout the entire building? It’d sure make it hard to break in, I guess.

The doors opened as we approached, the air seeming to hum as I stepped across the threshold. I couldn’t see whoever had let us in, despite poking my head into every crevice I could before hurrying after Lord Aric. The inside of the castle was impressive, but sadly I didn’t get to see much of it as I kept up with his brisk pace.

We seemed to walk for an age, passing through more of the giant doors and climbing up a curling staircase inside a tower. I peaked out first when we came to the top, my eyes widening as I saw the room. Aric smiled, stepping up beside me and gently urging me forward.

“Welcome to your new home, Sabien.”

“This . . . this is mine?” I turned to Aric with a questioning gaze, unable to believe this beautiful room at the top of a tower was for me, with its amazing view over the courtyard and rich furniture. I ran my hand over the soft bedspread with a smile so wide it felt like my jaw would break.”Thank you.” I rushed back to Aric and hugged his chest.

He chuckled, ruffling my hair. “I’m glad you like it. I’ll leave you to explore everything. Dinner is at 6, someone will come get you, and tomorrow I’ll organise clothes and anything else you need.”

I nodded, letting go of him reluctantly and smiling as he turned and left in a fluid motion, the door closing with a quiet clunk. I tossed myself back onto the bed, laughing as it bounced under me, staring at the painted scenes of mythical beasts on the ceiling. This felt like a dream.

Big thanks to BlackInkRain for editing and Ricky for beta reading. Enjoy.
Oh, and I have a thread for this on the forums now; I'll probably be posting sneakpeaks and such there, so please do visit and leave feedback.
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39704-a-soul-to-receive/
Copyright © 2017 Wicked Witch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..