Jump to content
    Wicked Witch
  • Author
  • 342 Words
  • 1,709 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Soul To Receive - Prologue. Prologue

Prologue

Once upon a time ….

No, no, no. That will not do. That is a terrible way to start a tale such at this. How about…

A long time ago ….

No, even worse. I don’t know for sure it’ll be a long time ago, this may be read years in the future or before the month is out. How about I simply introduce myself?

Greetings my dear reader. I am Arcturus Stalf, High Mage of the Empire of Resolution. Blame the name on its founder, dear old Izar I. A great man really but he had a thing for strange names. He called his capital city Embracement, after all. I was just an apprentice mage when Izar the Great built an empire, everyone knows the story - rags to ultimate power, cadet in a local militia to ruler of the known world.

Anyway, I’m rambling. Forgive an old fool. I write this many years after Izar ruled Resolution. I have lived a long time; I’ve seen many Emperors pass, watched even the Empire itself crumble into dust. I was cursed with extraordinary long life and have seen eons fade, all I knew disappearing. I’d never believed I’d reach such heights when I was boy. I remember imagining my future on a cool spring morn; my highest dream had been to become a travelling mage.

The one that hit me the hardest was the passing of our very species. We are gone now from the world, forgotten altogether except as fables. Mankind rules Gaia, littering her surface in the destruction they were always so adept at spreading.

Ah, but you didn't pick this up to hear an old man rant. Let me indulge you in a tale before it is my time to pass. Finally I have found a soul to take my mantle and let me greet my brethren in Paradise. I have no further wish to play god, I just want peace. This is the story of the soul who has granted it to me ….

Copyright © 2017 Wicked Witch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sounds like a great premise. I can't wait. I confess to reading the review before I started. I didn't get the "first-person" indication out of the prolog. So perhaps that was something they read into it.

I look forward to it.

Cheers

r

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..