Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rompecabezas. - 15. Chapter 15 - Parting.

[Second Edition]

They didn’t know I could hear them, much less that I was lying back serenely watching events play out to their final conclusion. I think perhaps at the beginning they maybe thought I knew they were there, perhaps my mother and John were more convinced than my sister and dad. They had all been here, on and off, at my bedside. I didn’t know that then. I was too busy travelling, pursuing a journey that was probably only in my head. It’s true I mixed things up, I could see that now. John and I set out on this trip together, we were still together, only I was about to leave, and he would be left behind. There was a great sadness in me about that. I loved him, but soon I would never see him again. I think he’d be okay though. Why did I mix him up with Dr Gonzalez? Jabez, Fernandez, Gonzalez. John was beautiful, Jabez was also beautiful. Today he was here with his family. I suppose it was normally his day off. So today he had his father, uncle and little brother here, his little brother he called Chin, that name made me smile.

Absolam Alquezar, Dr Alquezar, was here of course. He had to be, he was the consultant neurologist. He was talking to my mother and father. I didn’t need to listen to what he was saying, I knew everything, I knew what was happening and I accepted it. I had thoughts about how short life could be, about leaving people behind. About how one little event can come out of the blue to change things forever. I was lucid, but they didn’t know it. I had travelled and now I had arrived, at my final destination. I had been here all along. Lying here in this bed, surrounded by machines, white walls and white sheets. A window with a view across the desert plains and the mountains hazy in the distance. I never saw through that window until today, but I had the feeling that I’d travelled across that desert and up into those distant mountains. I’d even seen the sea. Time is relative you see, all just relative.

I would never come out of the coma Dr Alquezar was certain of it. I was how he explained things, in his gentle bedside manner, brain dead. There was no detectable neurological activity. Which was odd considering how alive I felt, although I have to admit that often things had been confusing and nothing was clear. Today everything was clear, but I couldn’t tell them that.

John was holding my hand, he was sitting right next to the top of my bed. My mother brushed my hair back off my forehead, she had tears in her eyes. My sister too, who was holding my mother, looking over her shoulder. The sun was as white as the moon, and glowed outside the window. Shooting an intense white beam over the mountains and across the desert. Demitri was standing there waving, beckoning me to follow him. I had to go, it was my destiny. I could see everybody there around me, I could even see myself, more importantly I could feel all their emotions.

Demitri turned and headed towards the distant mountains. He looked back over his shoulder to make sure I was following. I left them all behind and ran towards him into the sunshine and the light. I left behind distant memories, I was gone.

The End.


 

Copyright © 2018 William King; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'd sort of wondered if this would end with the main character waking from a dream. This however was fitting. The dying brain I think takes many journeys before it finally stops.
William, this whole story was brave, and beautiful, and frankly a perfect tribute or rememberance.
I feel lucky to have read it and I'm grateful for the experience.
I'm a fan.... tim xo

Link to comment
On 11/08/2016 12:17 PM, Mikiesboy said:

I'd sort of wondered if this would end with the main character waking from a dream. This however was fitting. The dying brain I think takes many journeys before it finally stops.

William, this whole story was brave, and beautiful, and frankly a perfect tribute or rememberance.

I feel lucky to have read it and I'm grateful for the experience.

I'm a fan.... tim xo

You followed the whole story chapter by chapter and I do really appreciate all your comments and encouragement, thank you.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..