Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,485 Words
  • 960 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fox's Love - 5. Iason

Daniel scratched his shoulders as he walked. The lack of wings was weird, and he wasn’t sure how long he’d be able to stand the feeling.

The dragon walked up a hill on the island of Crete, trying to escape the smell of fumes. It was everywhere in this world, as if these creatures called humans breathed carbon dioxide.

He found a quiet spot to sit and think as the sun sank low in the sky. It had been three days since he had escaped from the other realm, and he still had no idea where he was, or how to get home. Where ever home was. It was moments like these that he longed for Hana’s soothing touch.

But longing for things couldn’t bring them about.

Daniel winced as a plane flew low overhead. He needed to get away from this gas, and this noise. Somewhere quiet, where he could think for just five minutes.

Cool bark pressed into the dragon’s back, and he turned. There was no tree here a moment ago…

“Shit,” he groaned, standing up.

Daniel ran his hands down his body, his clothes changing into an era bland outfit. He had jumped again, and he had no idea when he was.

A goat bleated at him, and he growled quietly, his draconic presence asserting itself. The goat bleated again weakly, and fell on its side.

“Poios eisai?!”

He turned, and found a staff at his throat. The boy wielding it appeared to be close to fourteen, tall with bronze skin and light brown hair. He wore a simple tunic with a rope tied around it, and sandals covered his feet.

“Weirlen tel,” Daniel muttered.

“Answer me!” the boy snarled in his language.

“Don’t be alarmed. I’m merely a traveler seeking rest,” Daniel said, holding up his hands.

Behind him, the goat clambered back to its feet and ran away. He could feel the approaching night, and he knew the boy saw the sun sinking as well.

The boy sighed.

“Do you need shelter this night?” he asked.

“I will not turn it down,” Daniel replied.

 

He helped the boy turn in the goats for the night, and followed him to a whitewashed mud house.

Stepping inside, the Cretan called, “We have a guest this evening Mater!”

Daniel looked around, surprised that the centre of the building was open to the air. He heard light footsteps approach, and turned to see a middle aged woman.

“Welcome to our home sir,” she smiled warmly.

“Thank you. I am honoured to be invited in,” Daniel replied.

“Iason, please show our guest where he can clean himself before the evening meal.”

“Yes Mater.”

The boy beckoned to Daniel, and the dragon followed him into the court, where a well sat with a bucket waiting. Iason removed his shirt, and lowered the bucket into the well. After a minute of wheeling, the bucket returned, filled with water, and the boy used a hand to splash some on his face and chest.

Daniel copied the boy, and Iason chuckled, before pouring the unused water back down the well. They replaced their tunics, and Iason led Daniel into a dining area, where a simple meal was laid out.

They sat, and food was passed around. Daniel ate sparingly, not wanting to be a burden on the two. Their meal was taken in surprising silence. Daniel expected questions to be asked, but these people went out of their way to make him feel at home, not intruding on his peace until the evening meal was had.

Aside for Iason trying to spear him through the throat with a staff. But that could be forgiven.

As the food was finished, all three feeling not quite as full as they’d like, the woman smiled at Daniel.

“Sir, I have a favour I would ask of you.”

“If it is in my power, I will do it for you,” Daniel replied.

“My son has been without his father for near ten years. He has grown up not knowing of manly things. You appear to be a cultured man, a traveller who can teach him many things.”

“Mater…”

The woman gave her son a stern look, and he fell silent.

Daniel looked the boy over. He reminded the dragon of Moon, growing with no male hand to guide her, losing one who meant the world.

“I will teach him what I know, though there is much about your land that I do not know myself,” Daniel said.

“My sincere gratitude to you, kind sir.”

“And mine to you in turn,” he smiled.

 

Daniel walked down a dirt path, Iason trailing behind him. He had been with the family for three years now, and in those three years he had watched the young teen become a mature man, in spite of the troubles that seemed to plague their home.

The dragon pulled his weight around the home. When the well ran dry a week after he met them, Daniel had found a new spot and dug a fresh well by hand with Iason at his side. Sharing in the labour with the dragon had opened Iason’s mind, and the boy began following Daniel in earnest, soaking up every bit of information the stranger had to teach him.

Iason’s mother took ill a month after the new well had been dug, and the town physician could do nothing to help her. Daniel stayed with the woman, casting healing spells upon her, and the woman had pulled through, becoming even more healthy than she had been before the illness. From their struggles, he gained their respect, and they trusted his council.

Yet Ryan was never far from his mind.

“Pater?”

Iason’s voice pulled him out of his mindless walk. The teen insisted on using the term, and Daniel didn’t see the need to stop him.

“Yes Iason?”

“When will you make a man of me?”

Daniel froze, and Iason nearly walked into him.

“What do you mean? You are a man,” Daniel said, turning to face him.

“But I do not have seed. You have not given me any. Without seed, I will be no better than a slave.”

“We can’t have that now, can we? While you gather the supplies for home, I will make arrangements.”

Iason smiled, and the two continued walking toward the village.

 

Daniel sent the teen off when they reached the village, and busied himself gathering the youth’s friends. He had read about this before, but he barely remembered most of it.

Gathering their pledges to help, the dragon left town, and let his wings out, as he did every night. Rising high into the air, Daniel sped to a point five kilometres outside town, landing on a grassy hill with no one around.

Gathering his magic, he let it all loose at once, and the earth around him took on the shape of a good sized Greek home. It wasn’t quite perfect, but it would do for now.

Returning to the village, Daniel purchased a tunic, a bronze sword, a hunting bow, and an ox, to be delivered to the home he had built.

He had no sexual interest in Iason, but he knew the culture he found himself in required him to show the teen the ways of life. He was damned if he stayed, and there was no way he would abandon the family.

And so he went to where Iason played with his friends. Watching the teens from a distance, he planned his move, waiting until one of the boys gave him a subtle nod.

Iason was faced away from Daniel when he struck, grabbing the taller boy and hoisting him over his shoulder.

The other teens all whooped and hollered as they chased Daniel and Iason, laughing at the teen’s plight. Daniel’s tireless feet carried him the five kilometres back to the building, and his strong arms held the squirming boy in his arms, Iason laughing as he realised who had him; who was carrying him.

Barren when he left, Daniel’s magic had continued flowing through the building, creating tapestries, furniture, and clothes in his absence. He knew the boys would be impressed. It was good for them to see Iason chosen by a man of means. It would give Iason a good start in his life.

He was at the end of his knowledge about this ritual. From here, he would be winging it.

Setting Iason back on his feet, Daniel took a step back.

“Pater, this wasn’t quite what I thought-”

“Are you displeased eromenos?”

The youth’s breath caught as he looked at the older man. Daniel was playing a role now, but it was a role he would play well, for he cared for Iason.

“Pater-”

“No,” Daniel said quietly. “I am not your father. I am Daniel.”

“Daniel.”

The name rolled awkwardly off the Greek’s tongue.

“Your mother may have arranged this in her way, but that does not mean we can’t do this properly.”

At that moment, the rest of the boys caught up to them, gasping for air.

“Now that your friends have caught us,” Daniel smiled warmly.

He led them through the building, into a room near filled with a single table and several chairs.

“Please, sit.”

As Iason’s friend scurried to find a seat, Daniel took Iason to the head of the table, seating the teen beside him.

“Pater- Daniel… Where did this come from? Mother and I thought-”

“That I was poor? Struggle and obstacles can make a man stronger. The deception was necessary for you to become the strong man you are today.”

Daniel snapped his fingers, and four golems were created from the earth in a nearby room, along with a full feast. The golems each grabbed a platter of food, taking on the appearance of various humans Daniel had met in his travels before stepping from the room. They served the teens, and stayed at their sides to pour mulled wine in their glasses as the group feasted.

After they’d eaten their fill, the food was returned to the side room and disposed of. Two golems returned, bearing a spear and the bow Daniel had bought in the town market.

“These weapons belong to you now. Use them well and wisely,” Daniel said.

 

They spent the night in various rooms, Iason and Daniel sharing a bed. Nothing came to pass between them, and Daniel told the youth nothing would. Iason would receive his seed, but not from Daniel.

The group rose early, traveling with weapons until they reached a suitable hunting ground. Daniel bade Iason’s friends to head out and herd an animal back toward himself and Iason. As they moved out, the dragon turned to Iason.

“You will use your spear to bring the beast down, and the others will finish it off.”

Iason nodded his understanding and they waited.

A large goat galloped toward them, the teens on its heels. It sped up, running straight for Iason, and the youth gripped his spear, thrusting it at the animal’s throat as the goat’s momentum carried it onto the speartip.

The teens cheered as Iason wrenched the spear free from the beast’s death throes. They would feast well that night.

 

And so it continued for nigh on a month’s time, the group celebrating Iason’s passage into manhood. And the day came when the youth received the rest of his gifts from Daniel, a rich tunic signifying his becoming an adult, as well as the sword, and the ox. One final gift was given, a silver goblet engraved with Iason’s name, a princely gift, for the man Daniel considered his son.

They returned to the town, Iason leading the ox. His mother met them at the entrance of the town, a smile upon her face. She led them to a temple, where Iason and Daniel entered alone with the ox.

A priest stood within a shallow basin, a bronze dagger in hand. Daniel bade Iason to approach him, and backed off, watching closely. The priest handed the dagger to the youth, and began chanting, calling upon Zeus to bear witness.

Iason turned, and sliced the ox’s throat. Blood poured into the basin, as the animal bellowed. The priest knelt, and dipped a finger into the blood, smearing a mark on Iason’s forehead as he continued his prayers to Zeus.

Daniel breathed a word, and a ray of light shone on Iason’s head, causing the priest to gasp.

“Gods above be praised… Zeus appears to be please with you. You have been touched by the gods themselves.”

 

Once again, Daniel sat at the head of a table, though this time, Iason stood beside him. A man knew how to be served. Now he would learn to serve in turn.

Dark wine poured into the goblet, and Daniel raised the cup to his lips, tasting the liquid within. And like Ganymede beside Zeus, Iason kept the cup full throughout the feast.

When the feasting ended, the games began. Discus throwing, boxing, wrestling, and bull leaping. Daniel took part in all, beside Iason, and the two did well, though the dragon was careful not to do better than the youth.

He was surrounded by bare flesh, the beauty of which rivalled most elves. And yet he did not feel a thing. Even as he let a man pin him to the dirt, Daniel’s body refused to react. He was too busy thinking about what came next.

The dragon had done what was requested of him. Iason was an adult now, and there was nothing tying him here any more. He was free to continue his search for his fox.

But leaving was hard. It had been with Moon, and it was no different now.

He pulled Iason away from his wine in the dark hours of the night.

“You are an adult now, and I am so proud of you,” the dragon smiled. “I know I’m not truly your father, but I’ve come to think of you as my own son.”

“Pater, why does this sound like a goodbye?”

“Because it is. I have done all that I can for you and your mother. From here on, it is your job to protect her.”

“But I need you…”

“No. You need to trust in yourself to see what needs doing. And remember, men can be afraid. But a true man will face his fears. He will cry, but he knows that he must do his duty.”

“I will miss you Pater,” Iason said, embracing the dragon.

“And I will miss you too.”

Daniel pulled away gently.

“Give your mother my farewell and thanks.”

“I will.”

Daniel turned away, and walked out of the building, directing his feet toward the olive tree on the hill in Iason’s pasture. Gathering his magic, Daniel pushed himself forward, falling through time once again.

Copyright © 2019 Cata the Meek; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..