Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 6,974 Words
  • 1,043 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fox's Love - 9. Dragons and Demons

The following chapter has a content warning for rape. Reader discretion is advised.

Daniel stepped through the portal, finding himself in a forest bathed in the light of midday. His clothes changed at his whim, taking on the appearance of a traveller’s garb. This was Germany, and if he remembered his geography, he was somewhere in the Black Forest.

Conjuring a staff, the dragon picked a direction and began walking. Birdsong filled the air, lightening his mood as he passed. What had happened to Artix was unfortunate, but it was history. At least the fox could live on in his memories.

An hour passed, and he found a small stream. Turning west, Daniel followed it, trusting it would eventually turn into a river upon which a town would sit. And soon enough, he found a city sprawling before him.

The dragon entered the city in the light of early evening. There was no fuss on this trip, he simply walked in. It took him almost an hour to find an inn that would put him up for the night, but that gave him plenty of time to observe the currency in the place, and he was able to duplicate it easily enough with his gramyre. He picked up the language with a spell that he cast instinctually. He couldn’t speak it naturally yet, but if he held to his usual pattern, of remaining here for years, he’d learn the language in time.

“You’re kicking me out? I paid through the week!” an elf snarled at the sheep behind the counter of the inn.

“Magic is forbidden in the city. If you were caught, it would be bad for my business. Leave,” the sheep said.

“Agara mei kesu! Make me leave! Arudanel salei!”

Daniel shook his head, stunned. So much for conservative views in history.

Hidden in a group of people, the dragon decided to have some fun.

“Ey cal nela avu kesu,” he called, throwing his voice.

“WHO SAID THAT!? I WILL END YOU!”

The elf spun, her eyes scanning the room.

“Leave!” the sheep roared, standing up.

Muttering under her breath, the elf stormed from the building, shoving past a red dragon in the doorway.

Daniel’s eyes were drawn to the dragon and hers to him. They were solitary creatures, extremely territorial, and Daniel fought to keep from growling as she stared.

Tearing his eyes from her, the black dragon walked to the counter.

“I need a room for the night,” he said, handing the sheep several marks.

The sheep took the money and slid a heavy key across the counter.

“Upstairs, last door on the right. Mind the mess, we have cleaned up after that witch yet.”

Nodding, Daniel turned, and almost ran into the dragon.

“Excuse me,” he muttered roughly.

“I think you dropped this,” she said, holding out a book.

Daniel glared at her.

“Staen avbora feir mei tedarl,” he growled, taking his grimoire from her.

The red dragon laughed, stepping aside so he could pass.

“That was a neat parlour trick,” she called as he walked away. “I hope you have more than that when she finds out it was you.”

“Why don’t you follow me and find out?” he called back.

Heading up the flight of stairs, he passed almost a dozen doors before reaching the one the sheep had spoken of. Unlocking it, Daniel stepped into the room and closed the door behind him.

The room was basic as far as inns go, a writing table in the corner, a chamberpot, and a decent sized bed. Daniel set his grimoire on the desk and turned as a knock came at the door.

The other dragon stood outside the door, a smirk on her face.

“So, you have more tricks up your sleeves?”

Daniel stared at the dragon.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“I might ask you the same thing. You’re clearly not from here.”

The red dragon smiled.

“You might want to do a little research into clothing before you enter a time.”

Daniel’s eyes widened.

“Are you a traveller?” he asked.

“I fall through time,” the red dragon replied. “Here’s a tip, the 22nd century is great for moving between countries.”

“Who are you?” Daniel demanded again.

“Anyone I want to be,” the red dragon laughed. “For now, I am Anne Elizabeth. Soon, who knows, I might be an Emir in 12th century Jerusalem.”

Anne snapped her fingers and a pile of clothes appeared on the bed.

“These are what a man wears in this time,” she said, holding up a white silk shirt. “If you plan on staying here for any length of time, I suggest you wear this. You stick out like a sore thumb right now.”

Daniel lifted his shirt over his head, freeing his wings with a sigh of relief.

“Well, you’re certainly not shy,” Anne grinned, studying the dragon’s physique.

“When you live for as long as I have, you stop caring about what’s considered appropriate,” Daniel shrugged, pulling his pants off.

“Is that so?” Anne asked, running a finger over Daniel’s chest.

Daniel grabbed her hand.

“I don’t do one night stands,” he growled.

“And what makes you think this will be one? I plan on spending quite a bit of time with you. You clearly need my help.”

“Fine. Tell me who you are.”

“A space ninja,” Anne grinned.

Daniel grabbed the breeches from the bed, and stepped into them, staring at the red dragon.

“Okay, fine, you win. I was born in 1639, a day’s flight outside of town. My parents moved east, wanting to explore Asia. I haven’t heard from them since they left over a hundred years ago.”

Daniel stepped out of the pants, picking them up.

“And how did you learn to jump through time?” he asked.

“Much the same way as you, I assume. I desired to see Prussia in the Roman period, just a simple curiosity, until I discovered simply wishing it made it happen. I toyed with the practice until I had found a way to jump forward in time as well as back.”

“I’ve never travelled past my own time,” Daniel said.

“Which was?” Anne asked, stepping into Daniel.

She nearly dwarfed the black dragon, standing a good seven inches above him, and Daniel had to crane his neck to meet her eyes.

“2023. That’s when I first jumped. I was visiting a friend in Japan and ended up landing in the 12th century.”

The red dragon smiled and unlaced the top of her dress. She nodded for him to continue, and Daniel sighed.

“I spent many years in Japan, and had a daughter named Moon.”

Daniel closed his eyes, remembering.

“She was beautiful, lavender fur, the prettiest eyes I have ever seen…”

“You are a dragon, but your child had fur?”

“Her mother was a kitsune. She may still be alive in this time, but I don’t have the heart to scry her. Leaving those two was one of the hardest things I have ever done.”

Anne nodded in understanding.

“Leaving the ones we attach ourselves to can be difficult,” she murmured, working at another lacing.

Her chest now bare, the red dragon looked back up at Daniel.

“I have never seen a naked dragon…” he whispered, staring.

“I should hope you have. How else would you wash?” Anne laughed. “Did you find your way anywhere after Japan?”

Daniel looked into Anne’s eyes. He didn’t really trust her, but something about her made him want to tell her everything.

“Greece,” he said quickly, trying to hide his hesitation. “I don’t know when it was, but it was some time during the Bronze Age.”

“You’ve been everywhere. Trying to get your money’s worth, or are you running from something?”

“That is not a question I will answer,” Daniel said quietly, an edge to his voice.

“Running from something then. Or someone.”

Daniel glared at the red dragon, who sighed as she removed the sleeves of her dress. She wore no bra, but then she was a dragon, lacking the large breasts of a mammal.

“At least tell me one last thing before we engage in carnal passions,” she requested.

“This was your idea in the first place.”

“Ah, but you were the one who invited me to your chamber. Might I know your name?”

“Daniel. Daniel Mystara.”

Anne chuckled.

“Mystara. It has a nice ring to it, but don’t you think it’s a little pretentious? What, because you wander through time, you can take the Wanderer as a title?”

Daniel shrugged, reaching for his pants again.

“If you don’t like it, you can leave. Thank you for the advice.”

Anne grabbed Daniel’s hand.

“No. I want to see what it’s like with a dragon.”

Daniel sighed and placed the clothes on the desk.

“I don’t know why I am doing this,” he muttered, sitting on the bed.

“Because you’re lonely?” Anne suggested. “And because I’m throwing myself at you.”

She pushed Daniel down, kissing his neck. Standing, she stepped out of her dress and pulled her underwear off.

Daniel gazed at her body, at her wings that she flexed and her shining scales.

“You are very pretty,” he admitted.

“And you are clearly excited.”

She placed a hand on Daniel’s hardness, over his own underpants.

“Let’s get rid of these, shall we?”

 

Thirty minutes later they lay back, Anne’s fingers running over Daniel’s arms.

“Shall we continue our game, or are you satisfied with me already?” the black dragon asked.

“Oh, I don’t think I could ever be satisfied with you. I’ll always want more.”

Anne yawned and stretched.

“Nonetheless, it’s getting late and I need to leave early tomorrow if I want to get home without having to camp. Do you mind if we share the bed?”

Daniel laughed.

“We just shared twenty minutes of passion. Why would I suddenly shy away from being near you?”

“You’d be surprised what some people do.”

A red wing fell over Daniel, and he curled up under it.

“I thought you’d enjoy a little comfort. You aren’t that tough Daniel Mystara.”

“Less psychoanalysis, more sleep,” Daniel said.

“Indeed,” Anne smirked.

Daniel wrapped an arm around her, and let himself relax, his eyes closing. The dragon lay with Anne for over an hour, before carefully sliding out from under her wing and sitting at the desk.

He cast a spell on his eyes, allowing himself to see without light, and pulled out his grimoire, conjuring a quill and inkwell. Turning to the back pages of the tome, Daniel dipped his quill and began tracing the lineage of his family, as far as he knew it.

Hours passed and Anne stirred from her slumber. Daniel lit a candle as she woke, shedding light through the room.

“You’re still here,” Anne said, stretching.

“Well I did pay for the room,” Daniel smirked.

He sprinkles fine sand on the ink, and scraped the excess away, before closing his grimoire.

“You wanted to get moving early, correct?”

Pulling the new pants up to his waist, Daniel found they fit rather tightly, leaving very little to the imagination.

“These are a little small.”

“I think they’re perfect,” Anne grinned, standing and stretching.

“How long were you in the 21st century again?”

“Fifty years, give or take a decade. Plenty of time to erase the prude from the 1600s.”

The two finished dressing, and Daniel sent his grimoire through a portal, Anne watching in interest.

“Where did it go?”

“America. There’s a town in California that’s kind of my base of operations,” Daniel said. “You still want me to go with you, right?”

“Yes. I need your expertise,” Anne grinned, grabbing Daniel’s groin.

“Let’s go then. And no public groping.”

“Aw, you’re spoiling all the fun.”

 

It took them an hour to walk out of the city. From there, they took to the skies, speeding west through the air. Both pushed themselves, trying to one-up each other as they flew over the forest, but finally, Daniel called a stop around four in the afternoon.

Anne shook as she landed, panting for breath. The black dragon grinned at her.

“I win,” he said.

“But you called the stop. You lost.”

“Look at you. You’re exhausted. I’ll have to carry you the rest of the way.”

“Aw, you’re so sweet,” Anne laughed, trying to jump into Daniel’s arms.

She missed, wincing as she landed hard on the ground.

“Okay, I could use a rest,” the red dragon sighed.

“That’s why I called it.”

Anne turned her head, holding up a hand.

“Do you hear that?” she asked.

Daniel cocked his head, listening. He heard a muffled whimpering.

“This way,” he said quietly.

They crept through the trees in the direction of the sound, Anne struggling to control her breathing. She took the lead, stalking through the trees five feet ahead of Daniel.

Daniel felt cold metal pressing into his back, and he froze.

“It’s the elf from Hamburg,” Anne called quietly, turning around. “She’s tied up-shit…”

“On your knees, both of you,” a man said behind Daniel.

Anne knelt, but Daniel remained on his feet.

“Now!” the man snarled.

The dragon focused on a point behind him and spoke.

“Oenel.”

He twisted to the side as a portal opened in front of him. A loud bang rang through the trees, followed by the howl of a wolf.

The dragon stood over their attacker, who lay on the ground, blood leaking through a hole in his pants.

“I’m glad I improved that spell,” Daniel said, picking up the wolf on the ground. “Now. What do you know about the elf tied up over there?”

“She’s a witch,” the wolf spat, wincing.

Anne laughed.

“You think a witch would allow you to catch her?”

Daniel looked at the wolf.

“Do what you want with him,” he told Anne.

He left the dragon with the wolf, and walked to the elf, noticing the blood leaking down from her mouth. Her dress was torn, and scrapes covered the visible parts of her body. Her eyes glared at him, filled with a puffy rage.

“Open your mouth,” he said gently.

The elf spat, a flood of blood splattering Daniel’s shirt. He saw what he needed to though, and placed his hands on the elf’s cheeks.

“Eila,” he whispered, healing energy travelling from him over the elf’s tongue, mending it.

The elf lowered her head to the side, spitting again. Daniel placed a hand on the ropes binding her to the tree.

“Daro.”

The ropes snapped, freeing the elf, and she stood up, her legs wobbling.

“Thank you,” she said, spitting more blood from her mouth.

They heard a loud yelp from the trees, and Anne approached, cleaning the blood off her hands with a spell.

“You don’t look so good,” she said.

“I don’t feel so good.”

“What’s your name?” Daniel asked.

“Maria.”

“Well Maria, we’re about an hour’s flight from my home. Why don’t you come with us, and we’ll get you cleaned up,” Anne said.

“Thank you, both of you.”

Maria’s knees buckled, and Daniel caught her before she collapsed. He lifted her into his arms and turned to Anne.

“When you’re ready.”

Anne snorted.

“I could go another three hours,” she said.

“I’ll believe it when I see it. Are you ready?” Daniel asked the elf.

She nodded nervously, and Daniel leapt into the air. Maria screamed as Daniel hovered thirty feet above the ground. Her arms wrapped around his neck tightly, nearly choking him, and Anne called, “Relax, he won’t drop you.”

Slowly they flew over the trees, gradually picking up speed as they went.

 

The three reached a large house as the sun fell below the horizon. A dog came outside as the trio approached the front door and Anne waved him off, helping Maria into the house. Daniel followed quietly.

They took Maria to a room, and Anne said, “This place will be yours for as long as you need.”

“Thank you,” Maria smiled slightly, sitting on the bed.

“We’ll leave you to settle in,” Daniel added, pulling the red dragon out of the room and closing the door.

“Giving orders in my house already?” Anne chuckled as they walked down the hall.

“She needs her space,” Daniel shrugged.

“She could also use a bath,” Anne said.

She focused for a moment, and the dog walked toward them.

“You called ma’am?”

“Daniel, this is Erik, a friend of mine. He helps care for the house while I’m away. Erik, Daniel and the elf, Maria, will be staying here for the foreseeable future. In an hour, can you draw a bath for Maria?”

“Of course ma’am. It is a pleasure to meet you sir,” Erik nodded to Daniel.

“And you as well.”

“I will get the other guest room prepared-”

“There’s no need,” Anne smiled mischievously. “We won’t be needing it.”

Grabbing Daniel’s arm, she pulled the dragon along the hall.

“So. He seems nice,” Daniel said as they walked.

Anne laughed.

“You’re jealous,” she accused.

“Why would I be? Is there something between us? Besides a night or two of passion.”

“Why not?” Anne smiled, stepping into him. “Think of the fun we could have together. When we’re bored of this place, we could visit pre-Columbus America or Qing China. We can do anything we want, you and I. Why shouldn’t we be together?”

“Common ability doesn’t imply common interest.”

“You were interested enough last night.”

Anne grabbed Daniel’s crotch.

“And I know you’re interested now.”

Anne pulled the black dragon into another bedroom, kicking the door shut behind them. Her hands ran lightly down his back, opening his shirt.

Daniel stepped back against the door, pressing his back against it.

“We know what we want, the both of us,” Anne whispered into his ear. “Why fight it?”

“Because I do not know you. I do not know what you want, what you like-”

“All of which you can learn tonight.”

Her breath tickled his ear. Anne lowered her head, nipping at Daniel’s neck, and a quiet moan escaped his mouth.

“I know you like that,” she smiled, fingers once again working at the black dragon’s shirt. “You have given yourself to me already. Why hesitate now?”

“I-”

Anne’s lips caught Daniel’s, silencing him as she took over his body.

“You like having someone dominate you,” she continued when they broke apart.

Her clothes fell to her feet, and the red dragon attacked Daniel again.

“You don’t even know why I’m here,” he growled into her mouth.

“Does it matter? For tonight, you are stuck here. And I will make sure you enjoy your stay.”

Anne stuck her hands into Daniel’s breeches, squeezing the globes of his ass. She bit his neck, and the black dragon yelped quietly.

“You don’t act your age,” he gasped.

“And what age is that?”

“Three hundred?”

“Try five,” Anne laughed. “I’ve picked up a thing or two.”

Her finger slipped between his cheeks, and Daniel knocked her arm away.

“You’re a little touchy down there,” she grinned.

“Only one person is allowed to touch me there.”

“Oh, a secret lover?”

“Forgive me, but I do not know you well enough to speak of that.”

“Oh, the English dragon is getting airs,” Anne smirked. “Well, allow me to reintroduce you to myself.”

She grabbed Daniel’s hand and directed it to her folds below. The black dragon snatched his hand away and swept the red dragon off her feet. Lifting Anne into his arms, he carried her to the bed and set her down.

“There we go. Show me who’s a bad dragon.”

Daniel kicked off his pants and climbed over Anne. His finger traced around her stomach, trailing down until it found her slit.

“I find it hard to believe you know what a bad dragon is,” he murmured, his finger slipping inside her to rub that sweet spot Hana had once shown him.

Anne gasped, clenching around him.

“A sex toy? Sure I know what it is,” she breathed. “But that wasn’t what I had in mind tonight.”

Her hand found the small of his back and Daniel hissed as a finger touched the patch of skin where his blue scale had been. He twisted away, scowling at her.

“Hmm, the bad dragon has a lot of no-touch zones.”

“Yes. So don’t touch.”

Anne grabbed Daniel’s head and pulled him back down.

“You have my apologies. I didn’t know it was there,” she whispered.

Anne placed her hands back on Daniel’s ass, kneading his globes firmly. His finger slipped back inside her, and the dragons moaned together.

Daniel pulled out again, replacing his finger with his dick. He buried his head in Anne’s neck, thrusting slowly. Their quiet panting and soft moans filled the room as he filled her.

 

Daniel walked down the hall quietly, a soft light glowing in his hands. He stopped before a door and knocked gently.

The door opened a moment later, and Maria stared at him, blinking in the light. She still wore the bloody rags she had arrived in, and Daniel realized Anne had never given her any clothes.

“I want to make sure you’re okay. I know you went through an ordeal today,” Daniel said.

“Did she kill him?” Maria asked.

“I did not ask. But I believe so.”

“He’s lucky it was her who did it then.”

Daniel conjured a shirt and a pair of pants, handing the clothes to the elf.

“I know these aren’t the best clothes, but they are clean,” he said.

“Thank you sir,” Maria lowered her head.

“Please, just call me Daniel,” the dragon smiled.

“I’ll be out of your way tomorrow.”

“Don’t worry about it; you can stay for as long as you need. Did Erik draw you a bath?”

Maria shook her head no.

“I’ll do it if you’ll allow me to enter?”

The elf silently stepped aside and Daniel entered the room, conjuring a metal tub in the far corner, opposite of a bed.

“Laqueel,” he whispered, filling the basin with water.

The dragon heated his hand and held it in the water until the liquid steamed. Turning, he saw Maria standing naked, and immediately averted his eyes.

“You could have waited until I left. I have no intention of laying with you.”

He heard the elf grab a sheet from the bed to cover herself.

“Forgive me, I assumed you came-” she started.

“No. I will never hurt you the way that man did,” Daniel said quietly. “Enjoy your bath. If you need anything else, all you have to do is ask.”

The dragon left the room, keeping his eyes averted and closed the door behind him. He took a deep breath before quietly returning to Anne’s room.

 

He felt the dragon watching him. Three days together in her house, and she still hadn’t had enough of him. Maria had not left either, choosing to stay with the two instead of wandering for another place to stay.

Daniel set his axe on the ground, turning toward Anne.

“Did you need something?” he asked, sweat running down his bare chest.

“No, I’m just enjoying the show,” Anne smiled.

Shrugging, Daniel recovered the axe and continued cutting wood. It took him over five hours to get the wood he wanted. Anne eventually tired of the show, and went back to the house, claiming she had a stomach ache.

The black dragon loaded a wheelbarrow with logs, taking the wood to the side of the house, where he had built a small oven. Filling the oven, Daniel burned the logs, turning them to charcoal.

“Daniel!”

The black dragon dropped the wood he’d been holding, cursing as it bounced off his foot. He ran to the house, calling.

“Maria? What happened?”

He found the elf standing in the doorway to the parlour. Hurrying toward her, Daniel froze as he saw Anne holding a large red egg in her hands.

“Anne?”

The red dragon looked up, meeting Daniel’s eyes.

“I didn’t- This shouldn’t happen…” she whispered.

Maria stepped aside as Daniel passed. The black dragon knelt beside Anne and placed a hesitant hand on the egg. Its shell was firm, almost scaly, and now that he was near, he could see it had a dark undertone to it.

“I guess this means you’re a mom,” he chuckled nervously.

“You won’t leave me, will you?”

“No. I will remain with you,” Daniel said, gently taking the egg from the dragon. “Where is Erik?”

“It’s his day off. He’s visiting his family in the village to the north,” Anne said, her eyes drooping.

“Okay. Come on, stand up.”

Daniel helped Anne to her feet and supported her to their bedroom. The red dragon fell onto the bed, and Daniel set the egg on the floor beside the bed, where he was sure it would be safe from breaking, before helping Anne crawl under the covers.

“We are going to have a child…” Anne whispered, her eyes closing.

Daniel picked the egg up again as Anne sank into the warm embrace of slumber. He had no idea what he was supposed to do with it. His mom had said something about fire once.

The dragon carefully placed the egg into the empty fireplace and left the room quietly. He walked quickly to where the wood was waiting. Daniel sighed as he collected several logs. This was going to be hard for both Anne and himself. He couldn’t stay here forever.

“You are together.”

Daniel nodded, continuing to gather wood. Maria walked around until they were facing each other.

“She is a very lucky person. You seem like a nice man.”

“We shouldn’t even be together,” Daniel said. “But we are, and I don’t know why.”

“You don’t love her?”

“How can I? I barely know her.”

“But the two of you had a child together. Out of wedlock,” Maria said.

Daniel sighed.

“You… you don’t know how to hatch a dragon, do you?” he asked.

The elf nodded at the wood in the dragon’s arms.

“Fire. It needs to be constant. Go take care of your child. I can burn the charcoal for you.”

“You can?”

Daniel raised an eyebrow.

“I’ve read books before, and one of them spoke of it. I’m sure I can figure out the rest,” Maria smiled. “Consider it a thank you for helping me as you two have.”

“Thank you.”

Daniel hurried back into the house, carrying the wood into the bedroom, where he set about making a nest for the egg.

He was sitting beside Anne when she woke from her exhausted slumber. A fire crackled quietly in the hearth, heating the room almost unbearably in the late spring warmth.

Anne set her head against Daniel’s bare thigh, smiling up at him. Her smile turned to a frown as the day caught up with her.

“The egg?” she whispered.

Daniel pointed to the fire, where the egg nestled comfortably between several logs.

“That’s too much,” Anne said, standing and hurrying to the flames.

She muttered a spell and stuck her arm into the flames, moving the logs until the fire died down to embers that glowed brightly.

“There.”

She looked at Daniel.

“We need to keep it like this until it hatches.”

Daniel nodded.

“I’ll keep it burning through the nights,” he promised.

Morning light filtered through the window, shining down on the two. Anne moved to the window and opened it, letting out some of the heat.

“You should get some sleep,” she said.

“I have things I need to do,” Daniel denied. “You have no need to worry about me. I will do my part in raising our child.”

Daniel turned, and left the room, cutting the conversation short.

 

A fire burned brightly, Daniel standing beside it with a bar of steel in his hands. This would be his greatest smithing task to date, and he wasn’t sure he was ready for it. But he wouldn’t know until he tried.

Placing the bar beneath the bed of charcoal, Daniel waited. He could use magic to speed up the process, as he had done many times in the other realm. But Daniel had already decided he would forge this project naturally, and take his time.

So he waited. And when the steel glowed yellow, he removed it and began hammering.

A sword sat nearby, his reference for this project. The dragon drew out the steel until it was near the length of the blade. Turning it, he heated the metal again, then formed the tang, narrowing it to a proper taper.

Taking a wire brush, he cleaned the steel, scraping off the black slag that had accumulated with every hammer stroke.

Pausing his work for the day, Daniel set about gathering more wood, carrying it inside to the bedroom.

“You were gone all day,” Anne said as he entered the room.

“I’m sure you can find ways of spending time on your own,” Daniel shrugged. “I kept myself busy without having sex with you nonstop.”

“I’m surprised you’re still awake. You were up all night and you’ll be up all night tonight as well.”

“Have you ever gone to war?” Daniel asked.

Anne shook her head.

“I learned I don’t need a lot of sleep. Between life and rest, I choose life.”

“There is no war here. You can sleep,” Anne said.

“I’m going to take a bath. I’ve been outside sweating all day.”

The black dragon conjured a tub in the corner of the room, filling it with steaming water. He fixed the fire, rotating the egg before removing his clothes and sliding into the tub with a sigh.

Anne knelt behind him and began soaping him down.

“You’d think you were the one that gave birth,” she said.

“You didn’t give birth, you laid an egg.”

“It still hurt,” Anne protested.

A knock came at the door and Anne stood. She opened the door, revealing Erik on the other side.

“Are you unhurt my lady?” he asked.

“I’m fine Erik.”

“At your word, I will remove this rapist from the building,” he continued.

“He didn’t rape me Erik,” Anne sighed. “Though the way he’s acting he might as well have.”

“I told you I will help take care of our child. But I have other things happening, things I was doing before you brought me out here.”

“And just what are those things?” Anne asked.

“Researching my family for one.”

“Well, there you go. Add a kid to your tree.”

“You seduced me.”

“Like you didn’t know exactly what you were doing,” Anne retorted.

Daniel stood up and dried himself with a word. He dressed and pushed through the door.

“The egg’s rotated, the embers will burn for another four hours. I will return to rotate it again then.”

 

The dragon built up his furnace again, placing his blade inside. He hadn’t planned on continuing work into the night, but it gave him something to do, and he had no desire to be near Anne right now.

“You’re a smith?”

Daniel turned with a sigh. Maria stood near, a jacket over her shoulders to ward off the breeze in the air.

“Yes, I am, though it’s more hobby than trade.”

“I assumed when you were burning charcoal.”

The elf approached, seeking the warmth of the forge.

“I heard you two fight. Are you okay?”

“Yeah. It’s not the first time I’ve been in an argument,” Daniel shrugged, pulling the glowing steel from the flames.

“You know, I don’t think I ever properly thanked you for saving my tongue,” Maria said, stepping up to Daniel.

“And you don’t have to,” Daniel said, picking up a wedge.

He began tapping it into the steel, forming the fuller of the blade.

Maria stepped closer, her hand resting on Daniel’s lower back. The dragon missed his next swing, hitting his hand with the hammer.

“Galaran!” he snapped, shaking his hand out.

“Here,” Maria smiled, lifting his hand to her lips.

She kissed his hand, and Daniel pulled away from her.

“Look, I’m flattered, but I am not looking for a relationship. And I definitely do not want another kid,” he said.

“I’m not like Anne. I don’t need a relationship and I don’t expect anything-”

“Sex. You expect sex, which is already more than I am offering.”

Maria stepped back with a nod.

“I understand. Forgive me.”

Daniel shrugged, turning back to his work, and the elf left a minute later.

 

Maria was gone the next morning, heading back to Hamburg. She would return, Daniel knew, but until then, he had work to do.

The dragon spent the next three days working on his sword, forging a crossguard and using acid to etch a stylized fox onto it.

Anne left the house to watch him on occasion, and Daniel felt her eyes on his body as he worked. He ignored her, beyond polite conversation. There was no way they were getting into bed with each other again.

On the third day, Daniel brought his missing scale back into the world, and crushed it into a blue diamond-like powder. Heating the blade once more, the dragon coated the weapon with his scale, giving the sword a blue colouration.

“You look thirsty.”

Daniel turned, finding Maria standing with a pitcher of water in her hand.

“Welcome back,” he said, taking the water from her.

The dragon drank deeply, pouring the remaining quarter of the water over him to cool his scales from the forge.

“Thank you,” he said, handing the pitcher back to the elf.

Maria smiled and nodded, carrying the jug back into the house.

Daniel removed the blade from the quenching oil, and ran it through one final heat treatment. Quenching the blade once more,he began work on the pommel of the blade. As the rounded metal was finished, he blinked, his vision growing dark.

“Fuck…” he muttered. “Aen ceral.”

The spell did nothing, the poison still coursing through him.

“That bitch. What did she put in that water?”

The dragon’s body was heating up, becoming more sensitive to everything. Setting the unfinished sword aside, Daniel sat against his anvil, closing his eyes. There was something that would stop this, but he didn’t know what.

Rope wrapped around his wristed, binding them behind his back, and Daniel’s eyes flew open.

“You’re still awake? That nightshade should have knocked you out,” Maria grunted, tightening the rope.

“What the fuck are you doing?!” Daniel snapped.

“Something we both want, but you’re too afraid to grab.”

Maria smiled as her dress fell to the ground.

“Staen avbora!”

“Your gramyre has no effect now dragon,” Maria smiled, stradling the dragon.

She untied his breeches, smiling as she felt his shaft harden beneath him.

“At least that herb worked.”

Daniel blinked, and Maria blurred in his eyes, becoming a blue fox.

“Artix?” Daniel murmured.

“Shh. Let me work my sweet…”

Artix slid down on Daniel’s member, moaning as he went. The dragon pushed up into him, and the fox gasped. He rode the dragon, crying out as Daniel thrust deeper and deeper into him, until at last Daniel came.

The fox stood up and smiled at him.

“See, I knew you could do it. I’ll leave you here to cool down, and tonight we’ll go again.”

Daniel blinked again, and the fox was gone. He was alone.

 

He sat in a dazed stupor for hours, as the poisons raged through his body. Time held no meaning for him, and after, he couldn’t say if he had sat for an hour or for a week.

“Daniel?”

His eyes fluttered open, and a smile lit his face as another fox knelt before him

“Ryan… You found me…”

The rope binding his wrists together was cut, and Daniel leapt at the fox, knocking him to the ground. Their lips met, and the fox yanked his head away.

“No, Daniel, it’s me. Anne.”

A hand touched his head, and he heard a spell cast.

“Aen ceral.”

The fog in his brain vanished, and Daniel blinked as Ryan turned into Anne. His forge had burned out, and the air was chill, the dark of night settling over them.

“Come on, let’s get inside,” the red dragon said, helping him to his feet.

They walked through the house, into Anne’s room. She knelt in front of the fire, and lovingly rotated the egg, before sitting on the bed beside Daniel.

“Okay, what happened?”

“I… I don’t know…” Daniel muttered. “All I remember is… Artix…”

“Who?”

“He was a fox apprenticed to the same smith as me in Portsmouth. He’s been dead for hundreds of years.”

“You called me Ryan.”

Daniel sucked in a breath.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

“Who was he?”

Anne placed a hand on Daniel’s shoulder.

“I don’t want to talk about him. A hallucination is bad enough,” Daniel sighed.

“Someone poisoned you,” Anne said. “I trust Erik with my life, and Maria is the only other person nearby. So why would she poison you? You saved her.”

“She wants me to have sex with her,” Daniel said. “And I think she got her wish.”

“She raped you. I won’t have her living here then,” Anne said, standing.

Daniel caught her hand.

“Not tonight. You can kick her out tomorrow,” he said quietly.

Sighing, Anne sat back down.

“You will stay in here tonight. I don’t want her to touch you.”

“The poisons are out of my system. She surprised me once. It won’t happen again. Besides, there’s something I need to finish tonight,” Daniel said, standing.

“You’re just going to waltz back out there and give her another go?”

“No. I’m going to walk back to my forge and finish my sword. If she wants me to stick her so bad, the next time she can have my blade.”

“You can finish it in the morning, can’t you? Come here,” Anne whispered, wrapping her arm around him.

“I want to finish it tonight-”

“And I want to talk about our child tonight.”

Daniel looked at her.

“Okay,” he relented. “But I’m taking a bath.”

He conjured the bathtub again, filling it with steaming hot water. Sliding into the liquid, the black dragon began scrubbing at his scales.

“I hope it’s a girl,” Anne said, watching him.

“I have a daughter,” Daniel reminded her. “They’re not as easy mannered as you might think.”

“Oh no,” she laughed. “I remember giving my parents all sorts of problems. Okay, so you want a son. What should we name him?”

“Mystara.”

“Yeah, sure. Every elf and dragon will laugh at him.”

“Then you pick a name,” Daniel challenged.

Anne thought for a moment.

“Zenoan.”

Daniel paused in his scrubbing.

“What?”

“Zenoan. You don’t like it?”

An image flashed before Daniel’s eyes, of a red dragon in a cave.

“It’s… it’s perfect,” he replied.

 

Daniel penned the last name in his family tree and turned back a page. He had one last message to write, before he was finished.

“David, everything happens for a reason, and it is best not to know why. I hope in time, you will learn to forgive me.”

The words were penned, not the most elegant, but they would work. Daniel closed his grimoire with a sigh. He felt tense, like something was going to happen, but he didn’t know what. Nor did he want to know.

Conjuring a silver athame, the dragon pricked his thumb, and stamped the blood onto the leather cover of the book.

“Oenal fer mei arudan arvel,” he muttered, and the pages glowed red, before the gramyre binding them faded.

The book was unreadable by anyone except his children now. Setting the tome aside, the dragon silently walked outside.

Standing before the forge, Daniel took a piece of wood, and cut it down to size. He rekindled the flames, whittling the wood into a hilt as he waited for the fire to burn bright enough.

Heating the tank of the blade, Daniel stuck the bottom half of the hilt into the dirt, and shoved the hot tang into the wood, listening to the sizzle as a hole was burned into the wood. When the tang was deep enough, Daniel pulled it out and quenched it, before filing the inside of the hilt so it would fit better.

Wrapping the hilt in a leather grip, Daniel slid the crossguard onto the blade, and followed it with the hilt. He finished with the pommel, and hammered everything into place.

The sword was finally finished.

 

The dragons rose bright and early the next morning, Daniel setting his sword beside his grimoire. He rotated Zenoan’s egg again, then he and Anne walked to Maria’s room. They wouldn’t be able to get rid of her, he knew. But it didn’t matter. He would not let her actions go unpunished.

Anne pounded on the door, and it opened, revealing an empty room.

“Looks like she left already,” Anne said, walking into the room.

Daniel looked around warily. Something was off. He heard the floor creak behind him, and he spun, dodging a flying knife.

Maria stood behind him, a dagger held against his throat. He heard Anne cry out in the room, and his heart fell.

“Don’t bother sweetheart,”Maria leered at the red dragon. “You’re dead already.”

“Why?” Daniel said.

“Because you insulted me. And because she murdered my friend. Did you really think I’d let some wolf have his way with me?”

“But your tongue was cut out-”

The knife dug into his throat.

“I don’t owe you any explanation. Don’t worry. I’ll take good care of Zenoan. I wouldn’t want little David to grow up without his brother.”

Maria smiled, placing a hand over her stomach. She slashed across Daniel’s throat, and the dragon sighed as he felt his blood rush out. Dying was such a pain...

Daniel has the whole world as his oyster. If there is a particular time period and/or place you would like to see him in, please feel free to leave a comment. I will do my best to make sure he ends up there at some point. Also if you have any comments about the story in general, I enjoy hearing from all of my readers.
Copyright © 2019 Cata the Meek; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..