Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 8,152 Words
  • 1,415 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fox's Love - Prologue. Prologue

Daniel’s hand trailed across a row of books. This was his favourite store, and he made sure to visit every week. There was always a new story to find within the shelves; a new world to explore.

His hand tripped across a small black binding, and the dragon paused. He had learned to trust his instincts, and had found many a good book that way. This one felt different somehow.

He removed it, keeping an eye on the two tomes it had been stuck between. There was no title, just a blank black leather cover. The pages seemed worn with age, and Daniel was afraid to open the cover, lest he destroy the book. That was the last thing he wanted to do. He loved the older couple who ran the store, a lioness and a goat. They watched him now, the only regular customer they got these days.


He carefully carried the book to the counter, and cleared his throat.

“Did you find something dearie?” the lioness asked, her voice like warm honey.

“I don’t know…” Daniel admitted. “There’s no title, and no barcode on the back. And it looks fragile.”

The lioness took the book gently from him.

“Hmm… This binding is strong, but the pages do seem as though they’ve seen better days. I don’t recall seeing this anywhere.”

She turned to the goat.

“Albert, do you recognize it?”

“That binding seems like early nineteenth century work. If anything, that’s probably a first edition,” the old goat rumbled.

He handed it back to the dragon.

“It’s not one of ours though. Feel free to take it. A Christmas present from us to you,” he smiled.

“Thank you!” Daniel beamed.

“Would you like a bag for it?”

“No thanks. I want to make sure I get it home in one piece.”

The dragon made his way to the exit.

“Merry Christmas,” he said, hand on the door.

“And to you as well,” the two smiled.

Daniel returned to his flat, worn out from a day of exercise. It was his day off at the gym, but he didn’t like to miss a day of working out. The trip to the bookstore had been a little extra, but as he studied the black book again, he thought the trip had been worth it.

It sat on his table now, as he moved around the kitchen making dinner. One poached egg with tomato and bacon later, and he was seated with the book in hand. He hesitated, a strange feeling coming over him. Whatever was in these pages, he felt like it could change his life forever. But he had no idea how or why.

“It’s just a book…” he murmured.

Just a book, sitting innocently on his table.

Daniel reached out, and slowly opened the cover. It creaked quietly, threatening to break apart, but he was gentle, and it held.

On the first page, he was surprised to see a neat cursive handwriting in bold ink. There was a date, and an entry below it.

“It’s a journal. From 1914.”

The date was plain to see, and he could easily read the writing, even over 100 years later…

1914, 1 January

The dawn of a new year, and perhaps a new start. I have returned to the land of my birth, to wander through the country for a time. Perhaps I will settle here, and make a new home, away from my memories. It wouldn’t be the first time I have had to flee my past.

For now, I will remain in my former home, deep within old Prussia. There is a village nearby, where I can meet others should I choose to. Nineteen years is a long time, yet I fear it will be longer still before I can forgive myself.

But I must leave for there is much to do before winter is through. I am grateful for my time in the west,. Rough though it was, it has taught me how to survive. I just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other, and I will make it through this.

The entry ended abruptly, not even halfway down the page. It seemed a waste of paper to Daniel, but he figured the writer was wasteful. It was strange though. The writing showed a steady, careful hand, not one used to spending without thought.

Daniel carefully turned the page, revealing another entry. This one was dated a little later, close to the end of the month, and Daniel wondered what had happened. New Year’s resolution gone awry? Did 1914 even have New Year’s resolutions?

Regardless, he decided to read one more entry before turning in for the night.

 

19 January

A blizzard came last night. I am locked inside the house for now. It is a good thing I returned from the village yesterday afternoon. I have been chopping wood in preparation for this as well. I am as stocked up as any dragon could be. I can last for a month in here, longer if I boil snow for water. The only issue I see for now is the chamberpot, and for that I have gramyre.

There is still much to do inside the house. I have a gramophone for music, as well as her violin. I’m making progress with it, though I still have trouble playing. I study my grimoire daily, learning new healing spells. All too little, too late. But I will be prepared should there ever be a next time. Then I also have my chores around the house, and my mother’s library to sort through. Should I remain for a long time, I will have to upgrade it.

But that is all for the day. I don’t expect much writing to be done. There won’t be anything of note for some time.

Again the words cut off suddenly, as though their master was afraid of farewells.

A dragon scared. The idea seemed humorous for some reason. It happened. Daniel himself was scared of being on the open water. So why did it seem so funny? And who was this dragon, so hurt by life? Slowly the enigma would unravel, and Daniel would learn who this dragon was.

With that thought, Daniel recovered his bookmark, and slid the journal closed around it, saving the words for another day.

 

He woke early the next morning, the journal on his mind. His dreams had been plagued by a mysterious dragon. More magic, a gramyre that drew others to him.

Sighing, Daniel swung his feet over the side of his bed, and stretched his wings. For once, he had no desire to exercise. He just wanted to curl up in a chair and continue reading. But he hadn’t gotten his shape by taking breaks.

Throwing on a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt, the dragon headed for the door of his flat, grabbing his phone as he went. His feet crunched in newly fallen snow as he emerged from the building, and a gust of wind sent a shiver through his body.

Shaking it off, the dragon tucked in his wings, and took off, jogging north. He had done this run hundreds of times before, and the course was ingrained in his mind. Music played from his phone, the latest popular song from the radio. It was loud enough to be heard, but not so loud as to be annoying.

As he ran, he thought through a couple spells. Every dragon family carried a grimoire with them, and his was no exception, though it was relatively new, with only two generations of spells before his own. He was expected to change that, a task he took to with not a little trepidation.

Around kilometre two, his mind turned from a warming spell to the journal. It nagged at him constantly, and he was started to regret ever picking him up.

But he had started something and he could not just let it go unfinished. Kilometre three came and went as he turned back to home. There was no work to be done today, save for work around the flat.

As he returned home, Daniel made a beeline for the journal, promising himself he’d stop at one more entry.

 

29 January

I created a way out today. There is now an eight foot long tunnel of snow in front of my door. I couldn’t handle remaining inside any longer. A dragon’s got to fly.

It was my first flight in what they’re calling Germany. And it was cold, but it satisfied me. I will live another week. While I was out, I took the opportunity to chop some more wood. Magic can only do so much after all.

I have heard rumors stirring of unrest to the south. It’s no big news really. The Balkans have always been rowdy. Nonetheless, I will head to Hamburg tomorrow, and make sure my papers are in order. If there’s any trouble involving the country’s allies, I don’t want to be too suspicious.

 

A foreigner then. But still no name, and with no name, no story outside of what was within the pages of the diary.

It didn’t concern Daniel too much. He still wasn’t sure what he should do with the book. The owner was long gone. The best he could hope for was to find the surviving family, but would they even care?

He wanted to read on, to see if the next entry might give any inkling of a name, but he had told himself only a single entry.

Muttering under his breath about self imposed limits, Daniel stood up and tracked down his grimoire from where it lay in his bedroom. He spent an hour casting simple spells, building his ability and training his mind.

With his practice over, he went online to check on his American friend.

‘What’s new with you today?’

It took a few minutes, but Ryan eventually replied, ‘The same old shit. Jake’s being Jake and Kel’s being Kel.’

‘Eh, maybe you can’t teach old dogs new tricks.’

Daniel chuckled as he wrote, knowing it would probably go over Ryan’s head.

‘I guess not. I tried, and I’ll keep trying until it gets through his head.’

Daniel checked the time, sighing when he realized it was almost noon.

‘Gtg. The gym is calling my name.’

‘I thought you didn’t work today?’

‘I don’t, but it’s leg day for me, so I have to go in anyways. Later.’

‘Later dude.’

Daniel closed his computer, and laced up his trainers once more. The gym was only a ten minute run, but on leg days, he had a hard time getting home, so he took his car today. An hour of working out, and then he’d be back to the journal…

 

Ninety minutes and three hot compresses around the leg later, and Daniel had his hands on the journal once more. A plate of sugar cookies sat in front of him, a holiday treat. He munched on one as he opened the journal to his bookmark.

 

3 February

It is done at last. I am now listed in the annals of German citizens as David Enterai. Now I have the two day walk back home. I could fly, but not until i leave Hamburg, and the city is a big place.
It has been an experience coming into the city. There are these loud monstrosities moving around that they call ‘cars’. I remember hearing something about them, but to see one in person was quite the shock. Scared a few of the horses too. I haven’t been around this many people in a while either. I realize that I have really secluded myself in the past nineteen years.

I did manage to get the violin to a luthier for some tuning. The fox told me it would take a day to get it sorted out. I suppose I can find an inn, though I don’t have much money on me at the moment. I’ll pick up the instrument in the morning, and if it has been damaged in any way, may the heavens help that fox.

 

Enterai. David Enterai. He had a name now. It was a start.

Daniel grabbed his phone, and started typing. He wasn’t quite sure what he was looking for. A family? A death certificate?

“Wait… He’s alive?!”

Daniel stared at his phone, where a picture of a blue dragon stood with a tiger leaning against him. The facebook page listed a town in America, but didn’t give an actual address.

Daniel looked back at the journal.

“Shite, I’ve been reading this bloke’s memories…”

 

A week passed before he touched the book again. It felt weird, reading the thoughts of someone who was still living. He wanted to return the journal, but how could he? The dragon was across the pond, and Daniel was not planning on visiting America any time soon.

He continued his daily routines, working at the gym, and practicing his spells, but the journal continued to nag at him.

Daniel returned home from work after the New Year, and found the book laying open suspiciously.

“Fuck, I guess more wouldn’t hurt. I mean, he’s going to know I read it if he gets it back anyway.”

The dragon hated magic sometimes. Especially fatal magic. He would not be able to rest until he got the journal to this dragon. Maybe. It was still unclear exactly what he needed to do with it, but for now, he continued to read.

 

23 February

I bought a gun today. One of those Gewehrs they sell here. Upon inspection, I found it perfect for a marksman. Those bottles will never bother anyone again.

I don’t really need the weapon, but I feel like it helps me fit in. I figured, if Zenoan was still looking for me, he’d find me through the census. If he does show up, I’m ready for him, but I hope he’ll bury the hatchet and we can go our separate ways in peace. Father willed me the sword, it is mine by right.

I don’t want to get into all that again though. It’s been thirty years since I’ve seen family. I have to assume they’re going to leave me alone now.

 

Again it cut off. There was another name. Maybe he’d have an address?

Daniel looked up Zenoan Enterai, but was unable to find anything. It was just a name, nothing more than that.

Then he realized Ryan lived in the same town. He would know where David lived if no one else did.

It took only a moment to send the text. While he waited, Daniel continued to read.

 

2 March

Truly I live in an age of wonders. Yesterday a newspaper reported the successful flight of a balloon for over 3,000 kilometres. I don’t doubt that some day I will have competition over the sky. It used to be my place to think, my place of peace. Now the world has taken even the sky from me.

I will watch this ballooner with interest. Maybe I am wrong and this dream of flight will die as it begins.

 

Daniel’s phone buzzed, startling him from his reading.

‘There is a David Enterai here, but I don’t know where he live exactly.’

It had been a long shot, but Daniel still sighed with disappointment.

‘Thanks anyway,’ he replied, turning back to the book.

 

4 March

The snow has finally started to melt. Perhaps spring has finally arrived. It’s still cold, but at least now I can stand to chop firewood. Two axes can cut a lot of logs at once. I should have enough firewood to last until summer soon.

Tomorrow I’ll have to head back to the village. I’m out of fresh meat.

 

Nothing. There was nothing there. Daniel growled in frustration. What was his magic trying to tell him?

He skipped a couple pages, and found an entry from May.

 

5 May

I met a young wolf today in the village. Wilhelm Galathar. He has done things to me that I have not felt since I met John in the Nebraska territory all those years ago. Claire, I hope you can forgive me for my dalliance, wherever you are. I have to believe that you would not want me to be celibate, for it is too late now. He has undone me.

 

Strange. Claire was his great grandmother’s name. It wasn’t uncommon by any means, but Daniel still found it funny.

Also, David had apparently still been alive when Nebraska, wherever that was, had still been an American territory. Daniel grabbed his phone again and searched.
1867. The year Nebraska became a state. He was probably older than that.

Daniel took a deep breath. It was unnerving. Did all dragons share that lifespan? And he had lost what seemed to be his his wife. From what? Old age?
Daniel inhaled once more, shakily. He felt for the man. That would be a hell in and of itself.

And then there was that name. Claire. Maybe it was time to call his mum and get some questions answered…

 

“Aye, her name was Claire. She was married to a dragon, if I remember Mother correctly. Gave up the baby. I think it was an age thing. The husband was older than her, and she thought the child might be taken away because of the differnce. We never heard anything from his family. I don’t think he had any.”

“Thanks Mum. I want to do a little more digging, but this helps a lot,” Daniel said.

“What’s with all the questions?”

“Eh, nothing. Just a little personal project. I thought I might start a genealogy in my grimoire.”

“That sounds brilliant. If you have any more questions, let me know.”

“Thanks Mum. I will.”

Daniel hung up, and put his head on the table. This was his great grandfather’s journal…

He could still be wrong about it, but it was unlikely. Things were adding up too neatly…

 

He spent a month thinking, worrying, and planning. Finally, he called Ryan.

“Hey dude, what’s up?” the fox asked on the other end of the computer.

“I need to talk with David.”

“Um… sure, but I don’t know where to find hm right now.”

“I mean in person. I’m coming to America.”

“Oh. If you can wait a few months, you can stay at my place. It will save some money.”

“I can wait,” Daniel agreed. “How long is a few months?”

“Probably the end of the year. I’m thinking about moving out, and I should have my own place by then.”

“Jake’s not playing nice?”

“No,” Ryan sighed. “I need to go; he’s complaining about Tristan. Again.”

“Okay. We can plan the details later then.”

Ryan hung up,and Daniel glosed his computer. He was going to get his answers soon.

 

The dragon stepped off the train, black scales glinting in the sunlight. He shivered in the winter cold, dressed in a tank top and a pair of shorts.

“Hell, it’s colder here than at home,” he muttered under his breath, steam rising from his mouth with every word.

Gathering his suitcase, he walked toward the entrance of the train station, passing through the doors.

The interior of the station was utter chaos, people running everywhere, and voices raising to be heard over each other. The dragon scanned the mob until he saw a sign reading “Daniel Thethar”.

Making his way through the throngs of people, he saw a blue fox holding up the sign.

“Ryan?” he asked, approaching.

“Yep. You’re Daniel?” the fox questioned in return, his accent strong in Daniel’s ears.

“Aye.”

“Great. Let’s get out of here. I can’t hear myself think,” Ryan said, pointing Daniel toward another door.

A blast of cold wind met the two as they passed back into the outside world, and Daniel shivered.

“I thought it would be warmer here,” he said.

Ryan chuckled.

“California has winters too you know. Come on. My car’s right over there.”

They reached the vehicle quickly, both walking to the left side.

“Um… your seat’s on the other side,” the fox told the dragon.

“What? Oh, right, you folks drive on the wrong side of the road.”

Daniel headed for the right side of the car, sticking his suitcase into the back. He slid into the front seat, sighing at the warmth inside as Ryan turned on the heater.

“You can turn on the radio, but I’m afraid there’s only Christmas carols at the moment,” Ryan said as he pulled out of the parking lot.

“Thanks, but I’m not a fan of those,” Daniel said, still trying to come to terms with having the steering wheel on the left of the car.

He wanted to yell that Ryan was on the wrong side of the road and that he was going to crash, but as he started seeing other cars on the road, his mind slowly started to calm.
Before he knew it, Ryan was pulling into another parking lot. They were in a large complex, and as they stepped out of Ryan’s car, the fox pointed Daniel toward a red door. They hurried to the entrance, and Ryan unlocked it, allowing the dragon inside.

“I’ll get a key made for you within the week,” he said, flipping on the lights.

“This place is huge,” Daniel said in surprise.

“Just a two bed one bath,” Ryan shrugged. “Your room is on the left. I took the liberty of getting a bed so you won’t be sleeping on the floor tonight. I’m giving you a month to get settled, then you will be helping with half of the rent.”

“Thank you. This means a lot,” Daniel smiled, dragging his suitcase into the bedroom.

Ryan followed him.

“We can work out something with food. The bathroom is through the center door in the hall. Feel free to take all the showers you’d like. I generally have lights out around midnight, so after that, please try to be quiet.”

“Will do. If you don’t mind, I’m feeling rather tired right now. That was a rather long journey.” Daniel said, hand on the doorknob.

“Of course. Let me know if you want to go anywhere. I’m off for the next three days, and we can get you some more… wintery clothes.”

The fox backed off, and Daniel closed the door gratefully. Sitting on the unmade bed, he sighed, unzipping his case. The first thing he withdrew was a throw, which he placed on the bed. The rest he would unpack later. For now, the dragon curled up on the bed, and fell asleep.

 

Daniel woke up in a dark room. His phone read six am, but it felt closer to noon. He flicked a light on, and looked around the empty room. Soon, he’d make his mark on it. But for now, he needed to practice.

Pulling a thick tome out of his suitcase, the dragon plopped it on the bed, and lay on his stomach. He opened the grimoire, and began flipping through pages.

“Nican du eim,” he murmured, and the light flew out of its bulb, and hovered around his hand.

“Cen belan,” he continued, and the light returned to its glass prison.

Satisfied, the dragon turned to another page, coming across a spell to show him the best path to any destination he desired. He already knew this spell worked, he had used it several times on his journey here.

Now he used it to find a park where he could run, and maybe even stretch his wings. Grabbing his phone from the floor, he slipped on his trainers, and quietly slipped out of the apartment.

The morning air froze his scales, and he thought about going back in to grab another shirt. But it wouldn’t really help.

A spell came to mind, something to warm his skin, though it wouldn’t really help much other than that. It would be enough for now.

“Tesoru mei galin,” he murmured, and his scales took on an orange glow as the air heated around him.

Sighing in relief, Daniel began walking, following a yellow line only he could see. A kilometre later, he arrived at his destination, a rather large, wooded area.

The dragon took off running, easing off on his heating spell as his body warmed itself. He came around a tree and stopped.

A yellow dog sat huddled against the tree, grey sweatshirt pulled up over his eyes.

“Hello,” Daniel said in surprise.

The dog’s head shot up, his eyes meeting the dragon’s.

“Hi,” he said quietly.

“You okay mate? It’s pretty cold to be sitting out here.”

The dog shrugged.

“I could use some company, if you want to join me on my jog,” Daniel offered. “It’ll warm you up at least.”

He helped the dog to his feet.

“My name’s Daniel.”

“Tristan,” came the muttered response.

The dragon motioned ahead, and the two took off at a slow pace.

“So what are you doing out here, if you don’t mind me being nosy.”

“I dunno. Nothing really.”

Daniel didn’t push the dog, sensing he’d come around in his own time. They continued jogging, Tristan running out of breath rather quickly.

“Who are you?” he panted. “Usually this place is empty for another hour.”

“I just moved here from England. I want to find David Enterai. I have a book that belongs to him.”

“He left for Germany two days ago,” Tristan said, as they slowed to a walk.

“Bollocks. Do you know when he’ll be back?”

“Soon, I hope.”

Daniel studied the dog.

“You aren’t like… his boyfriend or anything, are you?”

“No! Not at all. He’s dating a tiger. David’s just a friend.”

“Oh. And what about you?”

“A wolf,” Tristan growled.

“I seem to have hit a nerve. My apologies.”

Daniel glanced at his phone, figuring he could probably find a store on his way back to the apartment so he could get a sweatshirt.

“Well, it’s time for me to head home. It was nice meeting you, Tristan. Maybe we can run again tomorrow?”

“Sure. Whatever.”

The dog turned and stalked back to the tree, leaving Daniel to find his way out of the park.

 


Ryan stared at the dragon as he pushed the bar up. 200 pounds, and Daniel was handling it like a pro. He probably didn’t need a spotter. Not that Ryan would tell him that. The fox was too busy enjoying the view.

Was this another roommate doomed to break his heart? Ryan snorted. He sure knew how to pick them. The dragon wasn’t even here for him, he was here for David. Something about a book. He’d stay in the country three months if Ryan was lucky. Then he’d be back across the Atlantic.

The fox needed to work fast with this one. But after Jake, he didn’t know if he had it in him to even try. He had known Ryan for longer than he knew the dog, but that didn’t mean much. The dragon never hinted he might be interested in the fox.

He helped the dragon set the bar back on the rack, and switched places with him, as Daniel removed some weights.

“You want to try seventy kilos?” the dragon asked.

“Huh?”

The fox could see the dragon working through some math frantically. The look of concentration made him even more adorable.

“Um, 170 pounds? I think?”

“Yeah. Let’s go for it.”

Hell, if he couldn’t do it, it might get Daniel’s hands on him.

The dragon stood behind him. If he craned his eyes, Ryan could just get a glimpse of Daniel’s crotch. Their hands nearly touched on the bar, and Ryan shivered.

“Ready?”

“Ready,” he answered, taking a breath.

“One, two, three.”

The bar lifted, and they held it together for a second, before Daniel slowly took his hands away. Ryan’s arms shook slightly as he lowered the bar, but he forced his way through the pain, and pushed up.

Three reps in, his arms faltered again, and Daniel’s hands gripped the bar, helping him ease it back onto the rack.

“Eh, it was a good effort mate,” the dragon smiled. “We’ll try 65 next.”

Damn, he didn’t know what it was about that accent, but Ryan would gladly roll over for the dragon.

Focus Ryan. Focus.

He took another deep inhale, and they began again.

 

David paused as he stepped off the plane, taking a deep breath. He hated flying in the metal contraptions, but Max refused to ride on his back, at least while flying.

There was something different about the town. He could feel a presence had entered the town in his absence.

The blue dragon shrugged, and began walking again, catching up to Max. If it was a threat, he would deal with the newcomer when he was ready.

“You okay?” Max inquired. “You look like you smelled a rotten egg.”

“I’m fine. We may have company later though,” David answered, as the two walked through the airport.

They left the building, and walked toward the street, David focusing on a clear area. A car appeared, old, but still in working condition. As much as he’d rather use his bike, the two had their luggage to think about.

He stopped again, in the process of opening a door. Someone was coming.

The dragon growled quietly, and Max looked at him in alarm. The tiger had never heard David growl in anger before, and the sound unnerved him.

A dragon approached the two on foot, a heavy sweatshirt hiding most of his features.

“David Enterai?” he questioned.

“Who’s asking?”

“My name is Daniel. I think you are my great grandfather.”

“That’s a pretty wild claim.”

“I know,” the dragon smiled apologetically. “But I’m pretty sure it’s true. Even if it isn’t, I have something for you.”

The dragon pulled a worn black book out of his jacket, revealing hands covered in black scales.

David stiffened at the sight of the book, and Max put a calming hand on the dragon’s shoulder, unsure of why a simple book would unsettle his beloved.

“Where did you find that?” David asked quietly, dangerously.

“In a bookstore in Portsmouth.’

“And am I correct in assuming you read it?”

“Most of it,” Daniel admitted. “It’s how I knew where to find you.”

“You don’t simply track a person through a journal they wrote a hundred years ago.”

“No, but I had some help. A fox, Ryan, said you lived in town.”

“And you came here from England just to give me my journal back?”

“Um, no. I came because my mum mentioned your name. Something about a doe named Claire too. Said she was my great grandmother. I put two and two together after reading the journal, and came up with you.”

“So why come here? What does it matter? I will tell you one thing. Claire and i never had a child together.”

Daniel faltered.

“Y-you didn’t?”

“No, for various personal reasons I will not discuss with you. And I do not appreciate a runt coming up out of nowhere, insinuating that my deceased wife slept around. This conversation is over. Now if you will give me my journal, we will part ways and never speak with each other again.”

The blue dragon snatched the book away from the black, and stormed to the driver seat of the car. Max quickly slid into the passenger seat, and the two peeled away, leaving a chastised black dragon in the dust.

 


“You’re leaving.”

It was a statement, delivered in a worn voice. The fox was tired, defeated. Yet another person was leaving him.

“Yeah, I have a flight tomorrow,” Daniel said. “I’m sorry. I thought I could stay here, but he doesn’t seem to want me around.”

“Who cares what he thinks? Daniel, you crossed an entire fucking ocean to give him that damned book. Did he even thank you?”

The dragon shook his head.

“Look, this was a nice vacation. But I need to go home. Maybe you can come visit me sometime?”

Ryan sighed.

“Yeah, maybe.”

The fox stood up from the couch.

“Well, if this is your last day, we can at least make it memorable. What time do you have to catch your plane?”

“Noon.”

“Perfect,” Ryan smiled.

“What are you planning?” the dragon asked.

“Oh, just a stroll through the nightlife. I figure you could use a drink.”

“Actually, I could use something,” Daniel said.

“Great, let’s get going.”

 

The dragon could feel the pounding music in his feet a block away. He had no idea where Ryan was dragging him, but the fox seemed happy. Daniel had the nagging suspicion that he wouldn’t enjoy the evening half as much.

As they neared the entrance to the building, Daniel saw a yellow lab walk away from the door dejectedly.

“What’s up with Tristan?” he asked the fox.

“Eh, he’s our depressed little puppy. The town kind of looks out for him. But he should know better than to try and get into a bar. He’s still got a year to go,” Ryan said loudly, as the music threatened to mute his voice.

‘Fuck it,’ Daniel thought, casting a spell that muted the music in his ears.

The dragon walked to the door, shocked when a rather bulky wolf stopped him.

“You gotta show him your I.D.” Ryan laughed.

Muttering about silly American rules, Daniel took out his passport and showed it to the wolf, who let him pass.

The fox came through a second later, and they passed together into the flashing lights within. Ryan took Daniel’s hand, and dragged him to a bar.

“WHAT DO YOU LIKE?” he yelled, causing Daniel to wince.

Maybe the spell had been a bad idea…

He let the magic go, and flinched as the noise hit him with all the weight of a freight train.

“What spirits do you have?” he asked.

“Whiskey, vodka, rum-”

“Whiskey’s fine.”

Ryan nodded, and pushed his way through a throng of bodies, vanishing quickly.

Daniel felt eyes on him, and he turned, spotting David glaring at him from the corner of the building.

“Bloody hell,” he muttered, looking away.

“Hey sexy…”

The dragon spun at the voice, finding a buck standing uncomfortably close to him.

“You here alone?” the deer asked, a drink in hand.

“No, I’m with Ryan.”

The buck laughed.

“You’re alone. Ryan’s probably hooked up with some wolf already.”

The deer put his hand around Daniel’s shoulders, and the dragon shrugged him off.

“Come on man, I’m just being friendly.”

“I’d rather you didn’t. I don’t even know you.”

“Oh, where are my manners? Anthony Quinn. And you are?”

“Daniel.”

“Well Daniel, you have the sexiest accent I have heard in a while. You want a drink?”

Anthony offered the glass to Daniel, who smelled vodka mixed with a powder.

“Um, no thanks.”

“C’mon, just a sip?”

“Look, leave me alone. I’m not interested.”

Daniel felt his ire roused, and he took a step away from the deer.

“Hey Anthony, get the fuck out of here,” Ryan snapped behind him.

Scowling, the deer turned, and melted back into the crowd.

“I don’t seem to be making many friends today,” Daniel groused, as Ryan handed him a glass.

The dragon eyed it warily. Not finding anything wrong, he took a drink.

“What is this?” he asked, taking another sip.

“Whiskey and coke,” Ryan shrugged. “On me. Think of it as a going away present. And trust me, you don’t want to be friends with Anthony. He’s the town slut.”

Daniel noticed a similar coloured drink in Ryan’s hand.

“You’re not driving us home?”

“Nah, we’ll get a cab or something. Don’t worry I won’t get drunk. You can get as drunk as you want though.”

“Um… thanks.”

It was strange, having weak whiskey mixed with the taste of pop, but Daniel shrugged it off. He could get a beer after. He let Ryan lead him to a table, his ears finally adjusted to the volume

around him.

A fox approached them, and Daniel stared at her, shocked at how much she looked like Ryan. If her fur was blue instead of black, and she didn’t have wings, Daniel would have sworn they were

twins.

“Hey Faelan, how’s it going?” Ryan asked, as the fox quickly wiped the table.

“It’s Friday at ten. How do you think it’s going?”

Ryan chuckled.

“So, this is the Brit? Nice to meet you,” Faelan said, holding out her paw.

“The same you you,” Daniel replied, surprised by the firm handshake.

“Either of you want something? Max started working today, and he actually is pretty good.”

“That’s David’s boyfriend?” Daniel asked.

“Yep. Fine tiger ass and all.”

“Don’t let Pip hear you say that,” Ryan warned.

“Oh please, Pip drools over Max more than me.”

The two chuckled, while Daniel looked on in confusion. He finished his drink while Faelan and Ryan continued to chat. Soon, the fox was called away, and Ryan turned back to the dragon.

“She’s a fun girl,” he said.

“I can see that.”

Ryan looked at him.

“You wanna dance?”

“I- what?!”

The fox took the dragon’s hand and dragged him to an area where the crowd was bouncing around.

“Hell no mate! I’m nowhere near drunk enough for this!”

“You’re cute when you’re nervous,” Ryan laughed, getting into the beat.

“And you’re a cock gobbling tit,” Daniel shot back, his ears burning.

“Ooh, dragon got some fire. Go talk to Faelan if you aren’t drunk enough. She’ll hook you up.”

“That’s not the point! I don’t want to dance!”

“Then don’t,” Ryan shrugged.

Daniel stalked back to the table, and sat down. A moment later, Faelan walked up with a mug of beer.

“Compliments of Max, who says he apologizes for earlier. Whatever that means,” the fox shrugged, setting the beer down.

Daniel took a sip, and smiled. It was Guiness. Perhaps a watered down version of it, but the flavour was there.

“Tell him thanks,” he said.

Faelan nodded, and left. Daniel drank his beer, and looked for Ryan. He found the fox dancing with a wolf, and something inside him grew restless.

‘What the hell am I doing?’

The dragon stood up and walked to the fox. He tapped the wolf on the shoulder, and yelled, “May I step in here mate?”

The wolf grinned, and stepped aside. Daniel grabbed Ryan’s wrist, and pulled him to the edge of the crowd.

“What the hell man?!”

“I don’t know what’s going on, but don’t dance with that wolf. Or anyone.”

“Kel? What’s wrong with Kel? He’s already taken.”

“I don’t care. Just don’t.”

“Well excuse me, but you don’t own me. You’re not even my boyfriend.”

Daniel growled quietly, and Ryan stared at him, startled. The dragon grabbed the fox, and kissed him.

Ryan resisted momentarily, trying to catch up. Then he gave in, deepening the kiss.

“I’m so sorry. I don’t know what got into me,” Daniel apologised, pulling back.

“Whatever it was, can you do it again?”

Daniel shook his head, backing away.

“Can we go please?”

Ryan touched his lips, trying to hold the moment in his mind. He nodded slowly, and followed Daniel out of the bar.

 

Ryan heard the sound of objects hitting the floor in Daniel’s room. He hesitated at the door. The dragon was going to leave. Did he really want to get involved in a long distance relationship?

The door opened suddenly, and the dragon slammed into the fox, dropping them both to the floor.

“Sorry,” Daniel muttered, standing up.

He hurried out to the living room, and looked around.

“You haven’t seen a book laying around, have you?” he asked.

Ryan tore his eyes off of the dragon’s ass long enough for the question to register.

“Um, yeah, under the pillow on the couch.”

The dragon bent over the couch, and Ryan could have sworn the room temperature rose a good ten degrees. He realized he was still on the floor, and hurried to his feet as the dragon turned with a book in his hands.

“Thanks,” Daniel said, heading back into the room, and closing the door.

He was ruining this. Ryan had no idea what was happening. One minute the dragon had been growling, the next, they’d been kissing, and then the dragon had just... stopped.

The door opened again, and Daniel stopped, pantsless.

“Did you need something?” he asked.

Ryan gulped, fighting the downward drift of his eyes.

“Yeah, about earlier-”

“I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me. I really don’t.”

“But I liked it.”

“I know,” Daniel said dejectedly. “But it’s not like I can stay in town. Not with David around.”

“You don’t have to stay to have fun for one night. And we don’t have to leave it off after only one night either.”

Ryan’s hand moved up to Daniel’s cheek, giving the lightest touch. The dragon inhaled sharply, and Ryan smiled.

“If you want me to stop, just tell me,” the fox whispered into the dragon’s ear.

His hand trailed down Daniel’s face, to the dragon’s shirt. Unclipping the buttons holding the shirt around Daniel’s wings, Ryan carefully removed the clothing. He let his hands trace over Daniel’s chest, eliciting another sigh from the dragon.

As Ryan let his hands explore Daniel’s body, he confirmed that the dragon’s abs were rock hard. He traced Daniel’s love handles with his thumbs, and the dragon’s breath quickened. The gentlest scrape of his claws on the waist of Daniel’s lime green briefs sent shivers through the dragon.

“I- I have to go in a few hours…”

“I know,” Ryan breathed. “But you’re already packed, and this needs some attention.”

The fox cupped the tented briefs in his hand, and Daniel moaned quietly.

Ryan was determined to take his time. He knew he’d probably never see the dragon again after today, and he wanted to memorize every moment that he could.

Daniel stepped into the fox, his crotch rubbing against Ryan’s.

‘Oh no boy, I’m in charge here,’ Ryan thought, moving back ever so slightly.

Daniel growled quietly, the same sound from last night, and Ryan froze. The dragon nearly tore off the fox’s shirt, and Ryan chuckled nervously.

“Okay, I guess you’re in charge…”

Daniel huffed in agreement, burying his nose in Ryan’s neck fur. His crotch grinded against Ryan’s reminding the dragon the the fox still wore pants. A moment later, they were in tatters on the floor.

“Hey, those were my favourite sweats,” Ryan protested.

“You shouldn’t have started what you weren’t prepared to finish,” Daniel laughed.

He was a completely different beast now, cocky, and rough. And Ryan loved every second of it.

The dragon turned, rubbing his ass against Ryan, and the fox’s breath caught.

“Are you serious?” he asked.

“Aw, is the little bitty fox afraid to top?”

“Not at all,” Ryan grinned.

‘You better get ready for the wildest ride of your life.’

He went to pull Daniel’s underwear off, and the dragon stopped him. Suddenly, his underwear was on the floor, and he was naked, his dick pressing into Daniel’s back.

“You know, we probably should get some lube and a condom,” the fox smirked.

Daniel sighed, and Ryan led him into his room. He found what he was looking for quickly, as Daniel removed his briefs.

The fox dealt with the condom, and took care of the dragon’s ass. When he was confident he wouldn’t hurt Daniel, Ryan pushed the dragon onto the bed, and straddled his lap. It took a little effort, but the fox was quickly at the dragon’s door. Looking Daniel in the eye, he saw an indescribable need, and he acted on it.

Pushing hard, Ryan popped into the dragon, both of them gasping at the invasion. The fox hadn’t topped in years, and he fought himself, holding out. He thrust quickly, not giving Daniel a chance to get accustomed to him. The dragon groaned with every thrust, and Ryan knew he was hitting the sweet spot.

Daniel’s dick pressed against Ryan’s stomach, leaking heavily, and Ryan twisted his torso so he could lap at the juice that came from the dragon.

“Bet your tongue can’t do this,” he panted, still ramming deep inside the dragon.

The only response was a shudder, as Daniel suddenly released onto Ryan’s tongue, way sooner than the fox expected.

No matter. He could play along.

The fox redoubled his efforts, feeling Daniel wince in discomfort under him. Within seconds, the fox was gasping in his own orgasmic pleasure, knot buried deep within the dragon.

Ryan lowered himself until he was laying on top of Daniel, both of them panting heavily. He still squirted into the condom, and he knew Daniel could feel the pulsing. But the dragon didn’t complain, instead tentatively running his hand down Ryan’s back.

The fox moaned in ecstasy under Daniel’s ministrations, his eyes closing, just for a second.

 

“Oi, wake up!”

Ryan’s eyes opened suddenly, and he found himself lying nude in his bed. Daniel was dressed, and standing at the door.

“You gonna drive me?” the dragon asked.

“Wha- oh…”

Ryan groaned as he sat up. The condom was gone, and he assumed Daniel had dealt with it.

“Give me a minute dude. I need to get dressed.”

Daniel shrugged, and left the fox in peace.

Standing up, Ryan grabbed a new pair of sweats and a shirt. He walked blearily into the bathroom, and relieved himself before dressing.

The fox found the dragon standing by the front door, bag in hand.

“So…” Ryan said.

“So… What now? What exactly did we get from that?” the dragon asked, somewhat bitterly.

“A good time?” Ryan shrugged. “I don’t know man.”

He scratched his neck.

“Well, we better go,” Daniel sighed, opening the door.

Ryan followed him out to the car, and slid into the driver’s seat. They pulled out quickly, and sped on their way.

“You know, I’ve never had a one night stand before,” Daniel said.

“I’d like to think this doesn’t count,” Ryan replied. “I like you, love you, even. I was looking forward to you staying here longer than you did.”

Daniel stared at the fox.

“You serious mate?”

Ryan snorted.

“Of course I am dummy. I don’t joke about these things.”

“So, what, you want us to be boyfriends? I don’t really know how that will work out,” Daniel said.

Ryan shrugged.

“It sure as hell beats never seeing you again. Maybe next year you can show me England.”

Daniel’s hand found its way to Ryan’s thigh, and rested there. The fox placed his own hand on top and squeezed it gently.

“We’ll definitely have to work out who’s in charge in bed though,” he laughed.

Daniel chuckled.

“I thought it was obvious.”

“So, this is a yes then?”

“Aye,” Daniel smiled, as they pulled into the airport.

Ryan walked with the dragon to the gate,and the two stopped to face each other.

Slowly, cautiously, Daniel kissed the fox.

“I love you too,” he whispered.

Then the dragon turned and made his way to the plane, leaving the fox alone. With a heavy sigh, Ryan turned, and headed back to his car.

 

Daniel stared at his phone, fuming silently. Three whole days, and not a word.

It had started out great. Ryan had sent him a tonne of messages the first day, while he was switching planes. Then they had stopped.

The first day, Daniel assumed Ryan had been busy. He had been busy himself, going to the gym and letting his boss know he was back. He’d start working in a week, and saving up for Ryan’s visit.

The second day with no message, Daniel had sent one of his own. It went unread.

He sent ten more messages, asking if Ryan was okay, begging the fox to talk to him. They all went unread.

By day three, he was beyond worried.

He looked through Facebook, tracking down Faelan. A message was sent, and he sat in his apartment, growing ever more agitated.

‘What’s up?’ the fox sent an hour later.

‘Ryan won’t answer any of my messages. Is everything okay?’

‘I don’t know. No one has seen him in two days,’ came the reply.

Daniel’s heart sank into his feet.

‘We thought he went with you. I’ll talk to David and see if he knows anything.’

‘Let me know as soon as you hear anything,” Daniel sent, before putting his phone aside.

The dragon wandered slowly to his room and fell into his bed. He curled up in the corner with his blanket, and cried himself to sleep.

Copyright © 2019 Cata the Meek; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..