What type of Internet Connection do you use?

BeaStKid

Internet Connection  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Internet Connection do you use?

• ISDN
    • DSL/ADSL
    • Good Old Dial-Up
    • Other...Please Specify

For home I have a 6MBPS cable modem and for work (RNapp don't look) we have 6 T1 lines for our building from 2 different vendors so when some idiot cuts a line digging we still have a big pipe to the outside world. This means blazing fast access at work but they track web access so....

Steve

Oooo good, a techie thread :)

I have a public 54Mbps 802.11g wireless connection.

Over that I run two encypted virtual private networks (VPNs), one to my servers in the U.S.A., the other to my servers in the U.K..

All my internet access goes via one or the other VPN so my usage can't be intercepted, or details of sessions stolen.

Which one is determined dynamically by some routing rules I've set. The geopgraphical location of the destination IP address is analysed, and then my local router uses the VPN that will provide the theoretically fasted response times.

In practice it doesn't work out so perfectly, because the GeoIP database is sometimes rather inaccurate, and sometimes also the routes from the data-centers aren't perfect.

It also uses the alternate VPN if one of them is currently fully utilised so it's partially fault-tolerant, especially as the WiFi network here has multiple Internet gateways and uses IGMP quite cleverly.