Adoption: Domestic or iternational?

Tarin

If you were to adopt...  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather adopt domestically ot internationally?

• Domestic
    • International
    • Either, it doesnt matter.
    • Both
    • Other (Did I miss anything?)

International adoptions recently have gotten a lot of press, especially with adoptions by Angelina Jolie.

True, there are many children in less fortunate countries with no families and a tattered orphanage system.

However there are also many children in your country that also have no families.

So,

Edited by Tarin

There are so many children in this world who need a home, so it's hard to choose between domestic or international, but I'd go with domestic, at least initially.

I think one of the misconceptions is that it may be easier to adopt abroad because these third world countries might not be as strict, or policies get loset in translation. Or even that it's the trendy thing to do. It's sad to think that way, but with so many celebrities adopting abroad and then the media constantly showing that, well, people get swayed. It becomes the "right thing to do", as in saving poor impoverished children from war-torn countries or horrible living conditions.

But what about children in our own countries who are also suffering or don't have a home? Imagine adopting a child from another country while there are numerous orphanages, discarded babies, or abused foster kids in need of a loving home? It's as if we're turning their backs on them because other children from third world countries are perceived as needing more help.

Sometimes it's best to solve our own problems first, then collectively, try to help others.

This was a big ramble/tangent, but I had been discussing this with someone today and my thoughts had run wild.

Either way, adopting is great! You're helping a person in need and that's all that matters. It depends on personal preference or where your passion lies.

I can go either way

Also, as a side note that I perhaps shouldn't get into here, I don't think I'd differentiate much between an "American" child or another. I think people are equally worthy of love and support regardless of which boarders they happen to have been born in.

My first loyalty is to my family and friends whom I actively know and love. Beyond that people are people. So while most of the people in my immediate sphere happen to be Americans I'm not going to go around thinking that Americans are better or more worthy than anyone else.

• Site Administrator

I voted domestic, but that's because I was voting as a gay Australian. The current situation here is that adoption law is a state issue, and some states allow gays to adopt, while others are thinking about it. However, international adoptions fall under federal control, and the last government made it effectively impossible for same-sex couples to adopt from overseas. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing anytime in the near future.

Edited by Graeme

I can go either way

Also, as a side note that I perhaps shouldn't get into here, I don't think I'd differentiate much between an "American" child or another. I think people are equally worthy of love and support regardless of which boarders they happen to have been born in.

My first loyalty is to my family and friends whom I actively know and love. Beyond that people are people. So while most of the people in my immediate sphere happen to be Americans I'm not going to go around thinking that Americans are better or more worthy than anyone else.

Kevin, you're absolutely right. People are people, children in need are children in need no matter where they come from. Americans are definitely not better than anyone else. If any child that can be helped, then that's all that matters at the end of the day. The only problem I have about international adopting is how everyone seems so eager to adopt abroad and they do not even consider adoption domestically. I think it bothers me more than people are unaware of the children that need help here as well, or they're following the trend of adopting from Asia and Africa because again, it seems cool when Angelina Jolie seems to be collecting babies.

However, I wouldn't mind adopting from abroad either. I'd probably get one from China, or another part of Asia. No one would think they were adopted; they'd look just like me! :D

I voted domestic, but that's because I was voting as a gay Australian. The current situation here is that adoption law is a state issue, and some states allow gays to adopt, while others are thinking about it. However, international adoptions fall under federal control, and the last government made it effectively impossible for same-sex couples to adopt from overseas. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing anytime in the near future.

That's very interesting. Did the previous government give a reason why same-sex couples are not allowed to adopt overseas? There has to be some background/thought process on their decision, that they hopefully shared wth the public.

Edited by AFriendlyFace

• Site Administrator
That's very interesting. Did the previous government give a reason why same-sex couples are not allowed to adopt overseas? There has to be some background/thought process on their decision, that they hopefully shared wth the public.

Essentially, they said that children are best brought up by a mother and a father, and hence same-sex couples shouldn't be allowed to adopt because it's not an optimal environment for child-raising.

They never presented any evidence (that I know of) to support that stance, but the Prime Minister repeated it several times in the national media.

I would go domestic Race is something as well to have in mind, all the teasing he could have if he's a different race from his parents and all... I've lived through teasing only because of my thick glasses so I wouldn't want my kid to be teased because his parents are of a different race plus anything that he could have (being fat, not good in sports, grades and all)

Actually, last I heard (which was about 3 or 4 years ago) research on adoption shows that in most cases the parents are better off if the child doesn't look that much like them. The reason is that genetics still play a major role in child development, so it can be frustrating if the child looks like you and you're raising him/her in one fashion and he/she is turning out in another. If the child looks significantly different you're less likely to have those unconscious expectations that the child will still turn out like you.

I could go either way, but I would probably go domestic first. For me, the issue is more with age than with nationality. I would want a very young child, I'm not sure I could or would want to deal with the issues of raising a child with memories of a previous life.

Menzo