DST

old bob

I don't like DST either. "Standard Time" usually is closer to the "astronomical time" for where you live, i.e. the sun is at the peak at 12 noon (thats how it should be). I don't think it really saves energy (thats the reason they started this mess - at least that was the plan). This "one our more daylight" in the evening doesn't really make a big difference in terms of energy usage.

Some farmers don't change the time they milk their cows, or feed their animals, because the animals are used to be fed (or milked) at a certain time and get edgy/distracted if the farmer suddenly shows up an hour earlier or later than they are used to. For me, it disturbs my sleeping rhythm.. it takes me some time to get used to the time switch (so yea, i am one of those people that are now rather grumpy because i lost an hour last sunday...).

I think its one of those stupid ideas that some highly payed government consultant came up with - just so that he came up with something to justify his fee... totally useless and plain wrong (unnatural).

(Seems like its closer to 95% against DST here now :P )

It's nice to have longer evenings, but really we'd need longer evenings all year round. While it's great to get an extra hour of sleep when changing back to winter time, it doesn't compensate for the loss of an hour in the spring (I can feel it for weeks! The extra hour in the autumn just disappears...) and also, it suddenly gets dark at 4:00 instead of 5:00, which is rather disheartening. The message seems to be, 'It's getting cold now, why don't you just stop having a life altogether and go to bed as soon as you get home from work.'

By the time we get summer time here, the evenings are kind of long already, though I admit it does feel good when you're out late and it's still light.

You know I think you're right! Let's just roll back the clock an hour and give ourselves an hour extra of daylight in the evening and then just leave it alone! A permanent extra hour :)

As far as time zones go, my phone has a World Clock. What it does is on one side it displays my current local time. On the other side it displays whatever the local time is for whatever major city in the world I choose to monitor. If I live in the Northeast, but I am constantly contacting people out in California, I can tell my phone to watch my local time (kept in check via satellite, wherever I am) AND set the World Clock to watch the Pacific time zone.

That is pretty nifty! :)

But look where the divide is: between Central and Mountain time. There's not a lot there, for the most part. It's not like people are commuting to an urban center somewhere. It doesn't much matter if the next little isolated town is two hours off. It may in real life be two centuries off. Every little town could observe local sun time, and no one would much notice or care. As far as relating to the rest of the world, they're already dealing with satellite TV feeds in Eastern and Pacific times.

Oh that is a good point!

You know I think you're right! Let's just roll back the clock an hour and give ourselves an hour extra of daylight in the evening and then just leave it alone! A permanent extra hour :)

Well, that would be an hour of daylight you lose in winter in the morning... thats why they change it forth and back...

Oooh why didn't I think of that! Or rather, I did think of that, many times, haha. We need an extra hour per day, that is, 25, not 24. Because invariably I want to stay up for an hour longer than I should, and get up an hour later too. 25 hours per day would be great. :music: Wonderful idea!

During exams I'd get on a 28-hour day cycle: stay up 24, sleep 4. Then I'd catch up on my sleep during the break.

I could do that then. Now, I get jet lag twice a year just from the time change.

Well, that would be an hour of daylight you lose in winter in the morning...

Well that's okay though. I don't mind losing daylight in the morning, daylight in the evening is much more preferable IMO.

Oooh why didn't I think of that! Or rather, I did think of that, many times, haha. We need an extra hour per day, that is, 25, not 24. Because invariably I want to stay up for an hour longer than I should, and get up an hour later too. 25 hours per day would be great. :music: Wonderful idea!

LOL, now that is a good idea!

We need an extra hour per day, that is, 25, not 24. Because invariably I want to stay up for an hour longer than I should, and get up an hour later too. 25 hours per day would be great. :music: Wonderful idea!

There is some research that suggests that a lot of people's internal clocks run closer to a 25-hour cycle than 24. That's the "circa" in "circadian." If people were just left to do things at their own pace and didn't have to work with others' schedules, or arbitrary schedules, a lot of folk would stay up an hour later each night and get up an hour later each morning, more or less, especially if daylight clues are not a great factor (such as places/times of year with lots of or very little daylight).

Thank God there is no such this as DST here in India cos it sounds crazy :wacko: But the Indian govt is "planning" on getting two time zones. YIKES!!

B) ............I rather like DST, having extra sun when I get off of work is great especially after that winter.

There is some research that suggests that a lot of people's internal clocks run closer to a 25-hour cycle than 24. That's the "circa" in "circadian." If people were just left to do things at their own pace and didn't have to work with others' schedules, or arbitrary schedules, a lot of folk would stay up an hour later each night and get up an hour later each morning, more or less, especially if daylight clues are not a great factor (such as places/times of year with lots of or very little daylight).

Yeah, I'd read about that too, and let me tell you, I'd really need that extra hour right now, every day. It'd make such a big difference. Another alternative would be a ten-day week, with five days of work and five days off. We suggested that to our boss at work a while back, and even made up names for the extra days of the week ('Lokiday' for the first weekday instead of Monday, which could be part of the weekend), but sadly it hasn't come about... ;)

Thank God there is no such this as DST here in India cos it sounds crazy :wacko: But the Indian govt is "planning" on getting two time zones. YIKES!!

Is there parts where sun is still up and others where it's dark?

Because only then would two time zones make sense.

Edited by Drewbie

Most of Indiana didn't have DST until fairly recently. The northwest corner was in Central time and observed DST, as did some eastern counties in the Eastern zone. The rest of the state was in Eastern Standard year round. Now I think most of the state is in the Central time zone and observes DST. Perhaps India follows the lead of Indiana, rather than vice versa. The closer a country is to the equator, the less sense it makes for it to observe DST. Having one time zone in India would seem to me to be like having permanent DST in the western part, anyway. Isn't all of China in the same time zone as Beijing? That's worse than India.

Yeah, I'd read about that too, and let me tell you, I'd really need that extra hour right now, every day. It'd make such a big difference. Another alternative would be a ten-day week, with five days of work and five days off. We suggested that to our boss at work a while back, and even made up names for the extra days of the week ('Lokiday' for the first weekday instead of Monday, which could be part of the weekend), but sadly it hasn't come about... ;)

LOL, I think a longer week with more off days would be a great idea!

Just the other day I was pondering how I think the work day/week is too long. Simply put I just don't want to spend nearly a third of my life at work! That's just way too much. I think the traditional 8 hour work day needs to be to cut down to no more than 6 hours, and I think we need more vacation time annually too.

I was reading some statistics recently about how America (and I think Japan) had the most working hours per year out of all the industrialized nations. I think that's so unfortunate. Not to sound overly lazy but an abundance of leisure time in which to pursue hobbies and social interests, or just to exercise and relax in, has always been one of my biggest priorities in life.

I'd prefer cutting working time, but increasing off time by making weeks and days longer is certainly a good option too! :D