Gayness and depression

old bob

It's still to early to tell with the Wellbutrin, but I did have my first therapy session today. She seems to think I am already making some good progress. I also told her that I was gay, and she had no problem with it. I know there are still some who go by the old way of thinking. I had to make sure. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still to early to tell with the Wellbutrin, but I did have my first therapy session today. She seems to think I am already making some good progress. I also told her that I was gay, and she had no problem with it. I know there are still some who go by the old way of thinking. I had to make sure. :)

Welcome to the psy world !

It seems your first steps are the right ones. Go slowly, step by step, and trust nobody else than yourself B) .

Good luck and take care :wub:

Old Bob

I only ever went to one psychologist. He let me talk for all of ten minutes, and then proceeded to tell my all of my problems were my parents' fault.

My parents are great people. I know that my depression is situation-based. Kind of like PTSD. I never went back to him - or anyone else, for that matter.

Best of luck, Tiger.

Good for you, Tim!

I only ever went to one psychologist. He let me talk for all of ten minutes, and then proceeded to tell my all of my problems were my parents' fault.

My parents are great people. I know that my depression is situation-based. Kind of like PTSD. I never went back to him - or anyone else, for that matter.

Best of luck, Tiger.

Aww, sorry to hear that, Dion. Don't give up on psychologists though; there are a lot of good ones out there. I've met several of them first-hand :) (I've never actually been as a patient - though would be comfortable going if I needed to - but it was my major in school).

When I went to a shrink, I knew that I needed it. My PTSD was getting very bad- dangerous, with flashbacks. I was so used to not sleeping and having horrible nightmares, I didn't even think to mention them until she asked. Although I'm a lot better, it's still not a good idea to try to wake me by putting your hands on me.

I still can't sleep the night in the same bed with another person and that has caused a lot of complications when it comes to relationships. Who wants to wake up with a psycho trying to kill them. :(

I have to admit I don't know about attacking my sleeping partner - it hasn't been put to the test. I do know I have some rather nasty dreams.

As for getting a shrink - I've been told on numerous occasions that I need one. It's a matter of 'once bitten twice shy' for me.

I don't doubt that there are good ones out there. I just haven't found any... for several reasons. I'm glad you found one, though, Tiger.

I don't doubt that there are good ones out there. I just haven't found any... for several reasons. I'm glad you found one, though, Tiger.

I think one of the best ways to find a good one is getting a referral from a trusted friend. I'm not sure if you have a trusted friend who might have a referral, but if you do know anyone who sees one whom you also like, respect, and feel at least marginally similar to, it might be a good idea to consult with them for recommendations.

I think one of the best ways to find a good one is getting a referral from a trusted friend. I'm not sure if you have a trusted friend who might have a referral, but if you do know anyone who sees one whom you also like, respect, and feel at least marginally similar to, it might be a good idea to consult with them for recommendations.

To coin a phrase: "Aye, that's the rub."

I don't.

Good advice, though. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Dion, this is actually the first psychologist I have had that I actually like. The rest were judgmental, and to me that does not make a good psychologist. They need to understand the needs of their clients. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of going to therapy. If the client is to reach a level where he or she is able to cope with depression and the stresses of life, being judgmental is not going to help. Making suggestions is good, but it's best to have the client have an active role in the treatment plan. That way a better way of treating the depression is established. You sometimes have to do a lot of searching to find a good counselor. I am lucky this time.

I figured I would go ahead and give an update. The medication does seem to help, but there are still times when I feel depressed. However, those days are becoming less and less frequent. Thus, it is working. It may be a slow process, but I am recovering. For those of you who are depressed (and I know who some of you are) you really do need to find a medication that works for you and go to a psychologist to get to the source of the issue.

I need a shrink again

ever since the first took me off Lexapro {she thought i was cured and thusly told my PCP(primary care physician) so they took me off)

been god knows how long since ive taken it

but i need it

so very badly

I need a shrink again

ever since the first took me off Lexapro {she thought i was cured and thusly told my PCP(primary care physician) so they took me off)

but i need it

so very badly

Well, there are often side-effects to long-term usage of SSRIs. However, I think she made a mistake in discontinuing the medication too soon. There are some people who are more susceptible to bouts of depression than others. It looks like we're in the same boat. I intend to stay on Wellbutrin for the foreseeable future. I don't want to have a relapse. It's my 3rd major depression in 10 years, and I don't want it to happen again. I hope you get better soon. :hug:

Edited by Tiger

Dion, this is actually the first psychologist I have had that I actually like. The rest were judgmental, and to me that does not make a good psychologist. They need to understand the needs of their clients. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of going to therapy. If the client is to reach a level where he or she is able to cope with depression and the stresses of life, being judgmental is not going to help. Making suggestions is good, but it's best to have the client have an active role in the treatment plan. That way a better way of treating the depression is established. You sometimes have to do a lot of searching to find a good counselor. I am lucky this time.

Wow! Being judgmental is pretty much the worst personality trait a psychologist can have, at least in his/her professional dealings anyway.

I'm so glad you're doing better and found someone who is a good fit for you, Tim :)

I figured I would go ahead and give an update. The medication does seem to help, but there are still times when I feel depressed. However, those days are becoming less and less frequent. Thus, it is working. It may be a slow process, but I am recovering. For those of you who are depressed (and I know who some of you are) you really do need to find a medication that works for you and go to a psychologist to get to the source of the issue.

Exactly! Most studies indicate that psychotherapy and medication are about equally as effective in the long-term (although some people respond much better to one than the other); however, the best results are garnered through a combination of both treatments.

I need a shrink again

but i need it

so very badly

:hug:

I hope you get back on it then.

Take care all :)

-Kevin

Hehe, I hated my therapist. She was all "mmhmm" and "uh-huh". Screw that. I LOVE my psychiatrist. That woman is like the female incarnation of Hannibal Lecter, only she's yet to eat my liver with fava beans and a nice chianti. She knows what I think before I think it, and I love it. She cuts through all the bullshit and sidestepping and goes right for the problems, and no one's ever been able to do that, and I'm too shy and anxious to just spit it out face to face.

I was on Prozac once. I hated it. It was awful. Terrible. Vile. Made me INSANE.

I was on Zoloft recently. Bout the same as Prozac only I had the sense to stop taking it before I did something really insane. No more DUI's for me, kthnxbai.

Now I'm on Wellbutrin. I actually LIKE this one. I could tell a difference from the first time I took it. It helps SO much with my ability to concentrate, and the ability to find a little motivation. I mean, it's not like a miracle or anything and I still have lots of problems, but it's like where there was this absolute wall and total inability to motivate myself to do anything, now it's a little easier. When you go from absolutely no motivation to a little, it's a gigantic improvement.

I've been depressed, but I think that the main problem with me has always been anxiety and ADD. When I was little the ADD was actually a blessing because I was actually interested in everything anyone had to say or teach me. Since I was actually intelligent at one point in time, I could absorb stuff just as fast as people could spit it out. Now, though, I'm not interested in very much at all so it takes a TON of effort to pay attention if I don't want to. Plus I think I may have damaged my brain a bit. I reverse words sometimes, and a few other little nifty weird things. Didn't used to do that, so I'm chalking that up to my years as a hardcore druggie. Glad I stopped that before I ended up like some of the burned out old guys I've seen. :D

Anywho, I just think as gay men we're all a lot more likely to develop serious mental issues. Even if they're just natural coping mechanisms gone haywire, we have to respond to stressful stimuli in some manner... and truthfully most of us handle it pretty damn well. We're still breathing, so I say it's a success. :D Y'know how it goes with the whole glass thing...

The pessimist says it's half-empty. The optimist says it's half-full. I've always wondered why no one ever asks if they've got anything stronger. :D