AFriendlyFace

Vegetarianism  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian

• Yes
    • No, but I was at one time
    • No, but I may eventually be
    • No, I've never been one and don't intend to be
  2. 2. Do you think vegetarianism is more common in the GLBT population than the straight population?

• Yes
    • No
    • About the same
  3. 3. How often do you (knowingly) come in contact with a vegetarian? (not including yourself if you are one)

• Daily
    • Several times a week
    • Weekly
    • Every couple of weeks
    • Monthly
    • Almost never

Raising animals for food is a very inefficient use of grain, particularly the way we do it in the US. Now that so much corn is being used to make gasohol and it is displacing other less subsidized food crops, the fact that so much corn goes into meat production doesn't leave much US grain for human consumption. Our agricultural subsidies have caused economic dislocations and resettlement from farms in other countries. It's certainly a factor in the upswing of illegal immigrants. I lose count of all the vicious cycles that are generated and/or sustained by our heavy consumption of meat, our corn-based meat production, our subsidies of corn, our very petroleum-dependent farming methods, etc.

Good point, another thing I 'feel good about' when it comes to vegetarianism is that I frequently read reports about how it greatly reduces the impact of my 'carbon footprint'. Which is good considering that in most ways I'm a fairly consumptive person :*)

I'm glad to off-set this in any way that I can.

I voted:

I'm not a vegetarian and am not likely to ever be one.

I voted that Vegitarianisim is about the same in the GLBT community, becuase as far as I know it is, but, if its not thats a very intriguing subject. I have no idea what percentage of the total US population is vegetarian, though I'll see what I can find out.

I only know one vegetarian in offline life, and only see him a few times a year.

OK, my take on this is that I basically agree with James Savik's point; I feel that humans are natural omnivores. The reason I feel that this is important (I don't care if something is natural or not in and of itself) is that I have my doubts whether vegitarianisim is nutritionally sound for humans. The fact that there is strong evidence that it is not healthy for infants is not conclusive for adults, but it is an indicator that has to be considered, IMHO. However, even if it is nutritionally okay for adults, I've yet to see convincing evidence that its better.

For myself, I love most kinds of meat, and won't give it up, mainly becuase I see no reason to do so. If someone wants to be a vegetarian, that's their right and I support them, but I certainly won't be joining them. In my opinion, one of the best approaches to nutrition is a varied, balanced diet, with nothing to excess, so that's what I follow.

An the whole animal issue, I've jest never been able to understand the point. I have a PETA sticker on my SUV: People Eating Tasty Animals. :) I feel strongly on that issue, becuase I simply can't see the logic in saying that it would be better for the animal never to have lived at all rather than raised for meat. Some people even give up dairy products "for the sake of the cows". I'm guessing they would prefer the cows to never have existed at all? That just makes zero sense to me. (maybe there's something I'm missing, but that's my opinion at the moment)

I'm not fond of some meats.. For example, the only lamb I'll eat is New Zealand lamb; it doesn't have as heavy a flavor as other varieties, and as a rule I don't like lamb. I do however very much like beef, especially Argentine beef. (A store about a hundred miles from me imports it, it's quite reasonable in bulk and, if claims are to believed, has less harmful chemicals and saturated fat). Kobe beef from Japan is superb nutritionally, and I highly recommend it, BUT, it's so expensive that I've only had it twice. I'm also very fond of Pork, chicken, and turkey.

I'm also a huge fan of cheese. The store I mentioned that imports the beef is also the best source I've ever found for imported cheeses; in many cases those aren't as expensive as one might think (barely any difference in price from US cheese at the supermarket, in fact), and some of them are superb! (and in fairness, some of them, to me, are awful). English red cheddar, for example, is IMHO just made to be mixed with chili peppers in an omlette. If you're concerned about fats, look into the hard cheeses such as Romano and Parmesan; almost pure protein, very little fat. (just get the good stuff, not the supermarket variety; it's well worth the few extra pennies IMHO).

Ok, dang it, I've gone and made myself hungry. :)

I voted:

I'm not a vegetarian and am not likely to ever be one.

I voted that Vegitarianisim is about the same in the GLBT community, becuase as far as I know it is, but, if its not thats a very intriguing subject. I have no idea what percentage of the total US population is vegetarian, though I'll see what I can find out.

I only know one vegetarian in offline life, and only see him a few times a year.

OK, my take on this is that I basically agree with James Savik's point; I feel that humans are natural omnivores. The reason I feel that this is important (I don't care if something is natural or not in and of itself) is that I have my doubts whether vegitarianisim is nutritionally sound for humans. The fact that there is strong evidence that it is not healthy for infants is not conclusive for adults, but it is an indicator that has to be considered, IMHO. However, even if it is nutritionally okay for adults, I've yet to see convincing evidence that its better.

For myself, I love most kinds of meat, and won't give it up, mainly becuase I see no reason to do so. If someone wants to be a vegetarian, that's their right and I support them, but I certainly won't be joining them. In my opinion, one of the best approaches to nutrition is a varied, balanced diet, with nothing to excess, so that's what I follow.

An the whole animal issue, I've jest never been able to understand the point. I have a PETA sticker on my SUV: People Eating Tasty Animals. :) I feel strongly on that issue, becuase I simply can't see the logic in saying that it would be better for the animal never to have lived at all rather than raised for meat. Some people even give up dairy products "for the sake of the cows". I'm guessing they would prefer the cows to never have existed at all? That just makes zero sense to me. (maybe there's something I'm missing, but that's my opinion at the moment)

I'm not fond of some meats.. For example, the only lamb I'll eat is New Zealand lamb; it doesn't have as heavy a flavor as other varieties, and as a rule I don't like lamb. I do however very much like beef, especially Argentine beef. (A store about a hundred miles from me imports it, it's quite reasonable in bulk and, if claims are to believed, has less harmful chemicals and saturated fat). Kobe beef from Japan is superb nutritionally, and I highly recommend it, BUT, it's so expensive that I've only had it twice. I'm also very fond of Pork, chicken, and turkey.

I'm also a huge fan of cheese. The store I mentioned that imports the beef is also the best source I've ever found for imported cheeses; in many cases those aren't as expensive as one might think (barely any difference in price from US cheese at the supermarket, in fact), and some of them are superb! (and in fairness, some of them, to me, are awful). English red cheddar, for example, is IMHO just made to be mixed with chili peppers in an omlette. If you're concerned about fats, look into the hard cheeses such as Romano and Parmesan; almost pure protein, very little fat. (just get the good stuff, not the supermarket variety; it's well worth the few extra pennies IMHO).

Ok, dang it, I've gone and made myself hungry. :)

B) ..........I can mostly agree with you here, never had Kobe beef though. With the exception of pork...a definate no-no for me, I personally just don't care for milk. That all said I would add all seafood and duck, and maybe one day, someone will invite me to partake in a goat roast. ;)

It's unnatural for humans not to eat meat. Humans are natural omnivores and a balanced diet is essential to our well being.

People who do not eat meat, especially during early developmental processes, brains do not develop as fast as a child who eats a normal diet. In fact there are studies that suggest that the effects of FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) and a vegetarian diet are just about the same on children.

Traditionally a vegetarian diet has been used by tyrants to control populations. A prolonged lack of protein causes people to be compliant and easy to manage. This is also a tool of brainwashing and was used extensively on American POWs during the Korean War.

Once again, I mustg agree with you James.

I work with a large number of vegetarians, so I come into contact with them regularly. I am not, and would never be a vegetarian. I love meat and don't really see the point of not eating it. It is illogical and contrary to human evolution.

Menzo

Once again, I mustg agree with you James.

I work with a large number of vegetarians, so I come into contact with them regularly. I am not, and would never be a vegetarian. I love meat and don't really see the point of not eating it. It is illogical and contrary to human evolution.

Menzo

B) ........Lets see..........t-bone steak.......celery..... ...lobster.......broccali......Kosher hot dog........alfalfa....need I go on?????

Edited by Benji

Honestly I believe there are so many other things that could and should be removed from the diet before meat is considered... how about corn syrup? FD&C "color" #"whatever" (especially the reds!)? citric acid? anything a second grader cannot pronounce?

at our house we do consume meat -- red meat, white meat -- however we do not eat processed or deep fried meat

we also consume tofu, textured vegi protien, and lots of beans (and sprouts) not to mention a lot of green and not-so-green grown things -- my son actually REQUESTS brussel sprouts!

I think the true key is moderation and variety -- but to each their own!

Honestly I believe there are so many other things that could and should be removed from the diet before meat is considered... how about corn syrup? FD&C "color" #"whatever" (especially the reds!)? citric acid? anything a second grader cannot pronounce?

Oh I quite agree!

I strive to eat unprocessed foods free of preservatives. I do my best to avoid eating anything which comes in a package unless it is simply frozen foods or fresh foods bundled together in one bag/package.

I also avoid caffeine and readily admit that I need to reduce my sugar and alcohol intake if I want to achieve optimal health.

You're right 'corn syrup' is an especially prevalent and toxic additive.

at our house we do consume meat -- red meat, white meat -- however we do not eat processed or deep fried meat

we also consume tofu, textured vegi protien, and lots of beans (and sprouts) not to mention a lot of green and not-so-green grown things -- my son actually REQUESTS brussel sprouts!

Well! What do you know!? I think I'd feel comfortable eating dinner at Lugh's house! :P:boy:

I still find it shocking and amazing that to date I'm the only vegetarian around here! I swear there used to be more of us a couple of years ago!

-Kevin :boy:

I still find it shocking and amazing that to date I'm the only vegetarian around here! I swear there used to be more of us a couple of years ago!

Maybe they've all died due to a lack of nutrition? poke-poke.gif

Benji, do you adhere to a kosher diet? BTW, in answer to your question about baby back ribs. Yes, they are pork ribs.

Nick, lamb for breakfast? shrug.gif

CJ, Kobe beef is so tasty. There is a steak house here in Miami that sells a US$40 Kobe beef hamburger. As an occasional treat it's wonderful. hungry.gif

Maybe they've all died due to a lack of nutrition? poke-poke.gif

:P

Benji, do you adhere to a kosher diet? BTW, in answer to your question about baby back ribs. Yes, they are pork ribs.

B) ............Pretty much, but I love my seafood!

Nick, lamb for breakfast? shrug.gif

<_<...........And whats wrong with that??

Edited by Benji

I thought seafood was alright with the exception of shellfish because they're considered unhealthy since they eat all the crap that sinks to the bottom of the water.

I guess there's nothing wrong with lamb for breakfast. It's just not something I usually associate with breakfast food. Then again I did eat rice pudding for breakfast this morning. Either one beats cold, leftover pizza! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My little sister announced to me today that she is now a vegetarian. I was unloading the U-haul with my mom, and we took a break for lunch... ate the hell out of a poor, defenseless chicken (by the way, it was delicious; rotisserie cooked with lemon pepper and herbs). She began to talk about how mean it is that they kill the cows that can't produce milk anymore. I took it upon myself to explain how the eggs she eats so much of are produced by hens who are treated far worse than the cows she was ranting about.

My mom threw some random bag of clothes at my head and told me to shut the hell up before the kid dies of celery overdose. :P

ANYWHO... yeah... um... I still love you, Kevvers, but if you were a cow, I would eat you. ~nods~ Only after you ceased to give milk, of course. Okay, wait, I'm gonna shut up before this is all misconstrued. :)

Beef cattle and dairy cattle are generally different breeds specialized for their appropriate functions. Most beef you eat doesn't come from retired dairy cows.

Beef cattle and dairy cattle are generally different breeds specialized for their appropriate functions. Most beef you eat doesn't come from retired dairy cows.

Very true! My family raised beef cattle. LOL, there was NO WAY it would have been an efficient, effective course of action to try to use them for milk.

I suspect retired dairy cows would not taste nearly as good as beef cows either. Indeed, for beef cows you want to butcher your younger bulls and heifers, and keep an older bull and several older cows around for the purpose of breeding. Once they're 'worn out' they usually are butchered, but the meat is considered inferior to the younger, standardly butchered animals. You'd also be more likely to use this sort of meat for dishes that required lower grade meat, like hamburgers, or stews or something. People don't want to eat a steak from a twelve year old cow (and even worse a twelve year old bull! :nuke: ).

Edited by AFriendlyFace