Foreign dishes

old bob

This post is specially dedicated to Procyon White.

In a last chat, the discussion came on foreign dishes. At this occasion, I was asked about typical Swiss dishes and the chat went on much too quickly to give me the time to answer. So my suggestion:

We have members all around the world, and each country has its favorite dishes. And I suppose there are a lot of gastronomes around us, people who appreciate good meals and like to try new savors.

So my detailed answer, first for my country.

Swiss people are very simple-minded (James would say

Edited by old bob

Fondue sounds really good! I've had "real" French, German, English, Irish and Italian food, but I don't think I've had "authentic" Swiss food. It'd be great to try.

I love a well-made dish, but I have a special fondness for Chinese food, because that's what I've eaten all my life. It also means I have a lot to say about it. :P First of all, there's really no such thing as Chinese food. It's like saying "European" food -- there are common themes, such as the usage of cheese, but each region is extremely distinct. Likewise in China, you have the wheat-based meals of the north and rice-based meals of the south; attention to lightness, freshness and delicacy in the Zhejiang and Guangdong provinces of the southeast; "hot" spiciness of Sichuan and "numbing" spiciness of Hunan; love of vinegar and garlic flavoring in the northeast; etc.

The foods I've had most experience with are from the Jiangsu and Shaanxi provinces. If you ever go to Nanjing, the ancient capital of Jiangsu province, be sure to get the xiao long bao zi (little dragon buns), which are sold by street vendors first thing in the morning. The ideal xiao long bao zi is basically a precariously thin "bag" (from dough) of meat (usu pork) and soup. If you go to Shaanxi province, visit the Qinling Mtn Range, where you can get a bowl of mao'er -- "cat's ears" -- from one of the small restaurants on the road up. They're doughty little "nudlets" cooked in a broth of tomatoes and things I've forgotten, haha.

Mm, this is a great topic, only it's dangerous to read when you're hungry...

Wow real English food?

This week I have had stir-fry (Chinese) and curry (asian though this one was Indian), by the end of the week I will have had stew (not sure), pizza (Italian), bolognaise (probably Italian with a name like that) and shepherds pie (not sure). I have no idea what authentic English food is.. we are a mix of a lot of culinary traditions from our colonial days and I regularly eat food originally eaten in many different places all over the world. That may be because as a family we have always cooked for ourselves much more than average, though.

What do you think English food is? Perhaps Tea :P .

Wow real English food?

This week I have had stir-fry (Chinese) and curry (asian though this one was Indian), by the end of the week I will have had stew (not sure), pizza (Italian), bolognaise (probably Italian with a name like that) and shepherds pie (not sure). I have no idea what authentic English food is.. we are a mix of a lot of culinary traditions from our colonial days and I regularly eat food originally eaten in many different places all over the world. That may be because as a family we have always cooked for ourselves much more than average, though.

What do you think English food is? Perhaps Tea :P .

:P .....Those 'yum yum' wonderous meat pies??????

I've always had this idea in my mind of what I think Swiss or Danish food would taste like, but I really want to try it for myself. The last time we went to Disney World we ate at a Norwegian buffet in Epcot and I imagine that it was close to the food of the Danish or the Swiss, but I might be wrong.

Bob, is Norwegian food similar to Swiss food? How about Swiss cooking and Danish food? Are they totally different?

I get good Greek food when we go home to California, but here at home it's all American (to me) cooking. Lately I've been doing the vegetarian thing, but I've been craving a slice of lamb or a well marbled ribeye.

The meat pies (pasties) are traditionally from Cornwall and Wales... Shepherd's pie I'm pretty sure is English. Yorkshire pudding (with roast beef)... Fish and Chips. Bubble and Squeak. Black pudding...

The meat pies (pasties) are traditionally from Cornwall and Wales... Shepherd's pie I'm pretty sure is English. Yorkshire pudding (with roast beef)... Fish and Chips. Bubble and Squeak. Black pudding...

B) .............What ever is Bubble & Squeak??

Wow real English food?

What do you think English food is?

I know just 2 examples of "British" food : Irish stew and Haggis, traditional Scottish dish.

Irish stew (in Irish Stobhach Gaelach) is a traditional Irish dish made from lamb or mutton, (mutton is used as it comes from less tender sheep over a year old and is fattier and more flavourful) as well as potatoes, onions, and parsley.

There are many recipes of Haggis, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

My friends from GB told be it's worth to try both. I agree for the Irish stew, we cook it often at home. But Haggis ? It's not "my cup of tea", as we say in French :P .

Old bob

Edited by old bob

I've always had this idea in my mind of what I think Swiss or Danish food would taste like, but I really want to try it for myself. The last time we went to Disney World we ate at a Norwegian buffet in Epcot and I imagine that it was close to the food of the Danish or the Swiss, but I might be wrong.

Bob, is Norwegian food similar to Swiss food? How about Swiss cooking and Danish food? Are they totally different?

Sorry Nick, but you are wrong !

Switzerland is about 600 miles away from Scandinavia and its a lot for food traditions.

To answer your question : no similarities !

I tried to research on Google adresses of swiss restaurants in the States. There are certainly a lot. I know some in New York. <perhaps you can find one near your place ?

Good luck for your quest :D

Old Bo

B) .............What ever is Bubble & Squeak??

Found a good description:

Bubble & Squeak

Typically made from cold vegetables that have been left over from a previous meal, often the Sunday roast. The chief ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. The cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potato until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides. The name is a description of the action and sound made during the cooking process.

I once tried an authentic Pakistani dish called a kebab. Those are really good. They're actually widespread across the Middle East. The Mediterranean, and parts of Africa. They're delicious, and I highly recommend them. The variety I tried was beef.

I once tried an authentic Pakistani dish called a kebab. Those are really good. They're actually widespread across the Middle East. The Mediterranean, and parts of Africa. They're delicious, and I highly recommend them. The variety I tried was beef.

B) .........I've eaten a lot of stuff that will not qualify as gourmet :wacko: ....some of it was neccessary for survival, others dishes were simply a whim of ...'when in Rome'.

I liked Birds nest soup when I was in Singapore.

There's an Italian dish I am not even about to try. It's cheese that has maggots in it. It's only a certain part of Italy, but I think there are Italian foods that are much more palatable. Thus, not all foreign cuisine is something of interest. I also have no intention of eating escargots. :blink:

There's an Italian dish I am not even about to try. It's cheese that has maggots in it. It's only a certain part of Italy, but I think there are Italian foods that are much more palatable. Thus, not all foreign cuisine is something of interest. I also have no intention of eating escargots. :blink:

B) ........I love escargots!!! I make them at home at least twice a year. BTW, the first time I had snails it was in the jungle and I had to find them in a stream, you have to bite of their head and steam cook them over a fire inside a piece of bamboo. :P Thanks Tiger!!

B) ........I love escargots!!! I make them at home at least twice a year. BTW, the first time I had snails it was in the jungle and I had to find them in a stream, you have to bite of their head and steam cook them over a fire inside a piece of bamboo. :P Thanks Tiger!!

I'll take your word for it. I don't know if I could ever eat them. I'm sure they taste good. I just can't get past what they are. :lmao:

I'm glad to inform you that in Germany and France (that I know of), kebab restaurants are serious competitors of Mc Donald's. I'd even say that in the last decade they've outgrown hamburgers. You usually get a full plat with veggies on top of the greasy meat, and here in France, fries on top. The greatest breakthrough in culinary marketing in France of the recent past.

I'm glad to inform you that in Germany and France (that I know of), kebab restaurants are serious competitors of Mc Donald's. I'd even say that in the last decade they've outgrown hamburgers. You usually get a full plat with veggies on top of the greasy meat, and here in France, fries on top. The greatest breakthrough in culinary marketing in France of the recent past.

I will have to remember that if and when I visit France. Are there any other foods you suggest in France? :)

I'll take your word for it. I don't know if I could ever eat them. I'm sure they taste good. I just can't get past what they are. :lmao:

Snails are more or less flavorless. What makes them tasty is the butter, parsley and garlic they're cooked in. Great entr

This post is specially dedicated to Procyon White.

Thanks old bob! I've so been looking forward to this.

Be careful, you can't find elsewhere the kind of cheese you need for a fondue or for raclettes. You have to take Swiss cheeses ("fromage

I know just 2 examples of "British" food : Irish stew and Haggis, traditional Scottish dish.

Irish stew (in Irish Stobhach Gaelach) is a traditional Irish dish made from lamb or mutton, (mutton is used as it comes from less tender sheep over a year old and is fattier and more flavourful) as well as potatoes, onions, and parsley.

There are many recipes of Haggis, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

My friends from GB told be it's worth to try both. I agree for the Irish stew, we cook it often at home. But Haggis ? It's not "my cup of tea", as we say in French :P .

Old bob

I have never tried Haggis.. it sounds a bit weird. I think that black pudding might be some sort of English food, its made from blood and can be sausage shaped, never really had any inclination to try that either!

I use the phrase "my cup of tea" too, though I tend to say it in English :D .

Bubble and squeak is very nice, like the description Trebs posted says it is basically fried mashed potato with various chopped up leftover veg or meat. Its very easy to make. I think that the secret to making a good one is a very hot pan :) .

Euw snails :( . I dont know if the common garden type snail that we have over here is the one you eat, they are a garden pest :P .

My favourite British food is.. curry! :) . I also really like peppered German salami, its great.

Thanks old bob! I've so been looking forward to this.

When can I come?? :D I've actually been to Switzerland once, to Grand Saint-Bernard, which is where I had raclette for the first and only time ever...

That looks so lovely! I bet you have lovely coffee in Switzerland, too. And it would be worth a pretty long food holiday, that is obvious. :D I'll tell you more about the food from the places I come from later as I have a lot to do today, I am going away for the weekend.

I'm going to enjoy this topic, hehe.

Hi Procyon,

Maybe you can answer a question for me.....is Swedish food anything like Danish food? Or is there a difference at all? How about compared to Norwegian food?

Oh man, the discussion of food is making me hungry lol... but I would have to say that the best food i've eaten in a long time was a Thai dish that my friend made for me about a month or so ago. It was amazing, very sweet but spicky at the same time. I couldn't get over the fact that it was healthy for you. If I remember the name of it, i'll post it on here. I really recomend everyone try it.

Euw snails :( . I dont know if the common garden type snail that we have over here is the one you eat, they are a garden pest :P .

B) .....Come on try it, you'll like it!! :P

Hi Procyon,

Maybe you can answer a question for me.....is Swedish food anything like Danish food? Or is there a difference at all? How about compared to Norwegian food?

I don't know a lot about Danish food, but I know they make violently red salami-like sausages and they eat 'sm

I really like dear meat. I'd LOVE to try reindeer meat. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says that caribou in the US are considered reindeer. I wonder if there's a difference between that and what you guys eat. Everything else you described sounds scrumptious, too.