World AIDS Day

December 1st (today) is World AIDS Day.

More than 33 million people in the world are living with HIV/AIDS, two thirds of whom live in Sub-Saharan Africa. Over two million children are infected with HIV. More than two million people died last year from AIDS. Life expectancy in Sub-Saharan Africa is under 40 years old. More than 2.7 million people became infected with HIV in 2007 alone.

Awareness quiz: Can you name the countries with the highest HIV infection rates?

I challenge everyone to PLEASE show support for any AIDS charity in your area any way you can. I'm going to a candlelight vigil tonight here. Most communities are doing something. You may have to look for it because apparently AIDS is no longer "press-worthy".

While I'm on that point, I also challenge anyone reading this to NOT become apathetic about HIV/AIDS. Yes, there are new medications that effectively "control" the disease. But they are expensive, toxic, and far from a cure. Make NO MISTAKE this disease is still a killer. We can just delay it a bit longer.

I also challenge EVERYONE to get tested regularly. At least once a year. It is estimated that perhaps more than 25% of those currently infected have NOT been tested and are not even aware they carry the virus. That's the dirty little secret the CDC and WHO don't publish. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. :(

If you are reading this, chances are high that you know someone with this disease. Most will never admit it because of the stigma that is still attached. Just being gay in some parts of the world or even in this country is hard enough. adding the stigma of AIDS, well, ... So yes, there is much work yet to be done in this arena. The crisis is far from over.

Hugz everyone... :hug: