Live long enough to find the one

SRevol

I really hate to say this, but I can't see them being effective at all. Plus the gay one had about every stereotype in it, it was awful & crass.

I think you need short hard hitting messages in campaigns like this. This was way too tacky & far too long

Edited by Sir_Galahad

We've actually had this campaign linked to a couple of times in the past. I personally quite like it. I think it's cute and amusing. Tacky and stereotypical sure, but I think most people can have a good laugh and still get the important point of the message.

One thing that might be effective is creating a whole series of campaigns. That way some of them could be the short, hard-hitting ones, and others could be the long, silly ones.

Thanks for posting it, SRevol :)

-Kevin

I don't like these at all personally.

Besides looking like a cutscene from The Sims, all these ads to is make the image that if you use a condom, you'll magically be fine.

Well guess what? That's hardly the case. Things can happen: condoms break, etc.

Maybe they should show cutsey cartoon characters getting tested before they jump into bed with each other. We need ads that show the reality. Where are the statistics??

But maybe I'm just a downer.

As I said in my topic ("How to inform and support young gays" in the Teen spot), the best way to stay healthy is to participate in GBLT groups, or to talk openly with other gays if there no group where you live (see my post under : Visit my topic ) .

Apart the examples from my group (Dialogai in Geneva) brought in my post, an interesting survey was organized last year. 531 gays in Geneva answered the questions. You can download the survey under survey .

The shown results are optimist, much better than any campaign!

BTW I'm sorry, for french speaking people only :( .

I don't like these at all personally.

Besides looking like a cutscene from The Sims, all these ads to is make the image that if you use a condom, you'll magically be fine.

Well guess what? That's hardly the case. Things can happen: condoms break, etc.

Maybe they should show cutsey cartoon characters getting tested before they jump into bed with each other. We need ads that show the reality. Where are the statistics??

I'm going to have to disagree with you, at least for the most part. Yes, condoms certainly aren't foolproof and you can still get something when using them, but they have a good track record when used correctly. This means checking the expiration date, storing them properly, throwing them away at once and getting a new one if you notice any tears or after they first come in contact with body fluids, and being certain to avoid oil-based lubricants. They're not perfect but they help alot. What we need to do is encourage people to use them every time and educate them about the proper use and handling of a condom.

I personally think it's a bad idea to criticise condoms - be realistic yes, but not overly critical - because it might make people throw up their hands and say, "why bother at all?" The truth is condoms can be quite effective (not perfect) if used consistently and correctly.

As I said in my topic ("How to inform and support young gays" in the Teen spot), the best way to stay healthy is to participate in GBLT groups, or to talk openly with other gays if there no group where you live (see my post under : Visit my topic ) .

Apart the examples from my group (Dialogai in Geneva) brought in my post, an interesting survey was organized last year. 531 gays in Geneva answered the questions. You can download the survey under survey .

The shown results are optimist, much better than any campaign!

BTW I'm sorry, for french speaking people only :( .

I completely agree, Old Bob! Great post and very helpful! :)

Take care all,

Kevin