Iowa high court legalizes gay marriage in state

NaperVic

Wow! This is so awesome! I have to confess it wasn't on my radar at all! I got a text about an hour ago from a friend with the news, but he said "they'd struck down the ban on gay marriage." So I simply took that to mean that the actual possibility of gay marriage was now an option that might be discussed in the future. This is obviously a million percent better!!

:worship::great::2thumbs::worship::great::2thumbs::worship::great::2thumbs:

That's amazing news, especially coming from a state like Iowa in the country's heartland. Hopefully, this will show people in other states that it's not just liberal east coast states that want this. I pray that the decision will hold up. I'm no legal expert, but I'm not exactly sure what anyone can do about it if the Iowa Supreme Court ruled that not allowing gay marriage was unconstitutional. In the AP article, it said that the general public couldn't try to take it to a federal court because they weren't involved in the case, and the state said they wouldn't try to get the ruling overturned. It seems to me like the only way to get around the court's decision is to amend the Constituiton. How exactly did it get repealed in CA again?

Edited by Collegeguy1

That's amazing news, especially coming from a state like Iowa in the country's heartland. Hopefully, this will show people in other states that it's not just liberal east coast states that want this. I pray that the decision will hold up. I'm no legal expert, but I'm not exactly sure what anyone can do about it if the Iowa Supreme Court ruled that not allowing gay marriage was unconstitutional. In the AP article, it said that the general public couldn't try to take it to a federal court because they weren't involved in the case, and the state said they wouldn't try to get the ruling overturned. It seems to me like the only way to get around the court's decision is to amend the Constituiton. How exactly did it get repealed in CA again?

California's constitution is relatively easy to amend. It only requires a simple majority of voters to do so via the initiative process (which is what happened in Proposition 8).

Well, the best news about this, is that if it Happened in Iowa, there's a good chance it's coming to Wisconsin.

Especially since Wisconsin likes to think of itself as the "progressive" state in the Midwest. Not always an accurate representation, but nonetheless how some people view us. (Particualarly Madison, as they're in an ultra-progressive liberal bubble that doesn't stretch far past the city limits. And I can say that having lived there :P )

In addition, it's super exciting for some WI politicians, because now they can state some precedence on getting rid of our ban. Horray Horray!

The Poli Sci and State Government nerd in me is all a twitter.

California's constitution is relatively easy to amend. It only requires a simple majority of voters to do so via the initiative process (which is what happened in Proposition 8).

*Adds note* whereas in Iowa, it would require an approvals from two legislative sessions before putting it on the ballot. In another word, it's not easy to get it done quick.

Edited by Jack Frost

Hold your applause.

If history is any guide, there will be a constutional amendment on the ballot and the voters will quash it.

Iowa is Middle America and you can bet the anti-gay marriage groups will pump enough money into the state to float a battleship.

Hold your applause.

If history is any guide, there will be a constutional amendment on the ballot and the voters will quash it.

Iowa is Middle America and you can bet the anti-gay marriage groups will pump enough money into the state to float a battleship.

True in the past with their multi-billion dollar powerhoouse,

However, due to the recent economic crunch, those anti-gay groups cannot pump as much money into the fight. Gay rights group lost a lot of capital, too, but the rules of superior size and superior decline would dictate the anti-gay coalition lost more.

There might be a mid-west judicial strategy now that no one ever thought possible if gay rights groups want to capitalize on this decision. Open up the dialogue in Wisconsin, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Illinois. If two or three of these four states declare similar rulings in the best case scenario, then the anti-gay groups have a three front war to fight in one their heartland regions. With the northeast legal issue of Vermont now in jeopardy to their cause, and the continued war of war-chest attrition now being fought in California over prop 8, the anti-gay groups do not have the financial capital to fight gay rights on too many fronts. Anti-gay groups will have to pick and choose on their battlefronts; most likely leave California and regroup their financing for death kneel fight in the mid-west.

In other words, we can bankrupt them into a corner; there is no way they have enough money now to fight gay rights while being fiscally solvent all around if we open enough fronts for them to fight.

So James, don't worry, I think this will be a fight that might get to be fairly fought.

Hold your applause.

If history is any guide, there will be a constitutional amendment on the ballot and the voters will quash it.

Not likely - at least not before 2012. Here is a quote from the NY Times article today:

Unlike some states that have barred the marriages with voter-led ballot measures, voters here cannot directly initiate constitutional amendments. Instead, an amendment would require approval by state lawmakers during two legislative sessions, and then approval by voters at the ballot box. That means the earliest a prospective ban could take effect would be 2012.

Wow... a lot of good news this week.

Sweden approves it. Effective May 1st.

Vermont approves it, but a veto is looming. Override is possible if they can convince just three lawmakers to change their mind.

Iowa Supreme Court struck down the ban. Effective in three weeks.

New Hampshire's House approves it, but a veto is looming. No chance of override.

Edited by Jack Frost

Vermont approves it, but a veto is looming. Override is possible if they can convince just three lawmakers to change their mind.

New Hampshire's House approves it, but a veto is looming. No chance of override.

We need New Hampshire to fall in line in the northeast to complete the New England stronghold. It's inevitable if Vermont succeeds in passage.

True in the past with their multi-billion dollar powerhoouse,

However, due to the recent economic crunch, those anti-gay groups cannot pump as much money into the fight. Gay rights group lost a lot of capital, too, but the rules of superior size and superior decline would dictate the anti-gay coalition lost more.

There might be a mid-west judicial strategy now that no one ever thought possible if gay rights groups want to capitalize on this decision. Open up the dialogue in Wisconsin, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Illinois. If two or three of these four states declare similar rulings in the best case scenario, then the anti-gay groups have a three front war to fight in one their heartland regions. With the northeast legal issue of Vermont now in jeopardy to their cause, and the continued war of war-chest attrition now being fought in California over prop 8, the anti-gay groups do not have the financial capital to fight gay rights on too many fronts. Anti-gay groups will have to pick and choose on their battlefronts; most likely leave California and regroup their financing for death kneel fight in the mid-west.

In other words, we can bankrupt them into a corner; there is no way they have enough money now to fight gay rights while being fiscally solvent all around if we open enough fronts for them to fight.

So James, don't worry, I think this will be a fight that might get to be fairly fought.

I hope it happens that way!

Not likely - at least not before 2012. Here is a quote from the NY Times article today:

Good!!!

And good it is!!

We need New Hampshire to fall in line in the northeast to complete the New England stronghold. It's inevitable if Vermont succeeds in passage.

That would be great!!!!

Oh i frgot...Congratulations Iowa!!!

and Sweden go on!!!!