Toyota Prius

Tiger

Toyota Prius  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or have you ever owned a Toyota Prius?

• Yes (If so, what model, year, etc.)
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy a Toyota Prius?

• Yes, in fact, I already did
    • Yes, I intend to purchase one soon
    • I would consider it
    • No way!

While I cannot afford to purchase another vehicle now, I intend to do so when I can. I have been thinking that a Toyota Prius would be a good decision, but I wanted to hear what others think. I especially am hoping to hear from some who actually own one, because their opinion would be most helpful. :)

I don't like them cause how they look, they are good for fuel economy though, but there are other good hybrids out there , ford fusion hybrid, or even a civic one. There will be more choices for hybrids as the years go on or even full electric or hydrogen in California, honda has a car that is just for the state and for leasing only. Honda fcx clarity.

Anything's better than a Buick. :D

I like them, but then again, I like hybrids. They may not be as powerful as non-hybrids (and I'm a power freak, so that's a big deal to me), but there's something really cool about sitting in traffic, at a drive through, or wherever, and not having the engine running. It's quiet, and it feels good (from a planetary perspective).

The cool thing now is that they've damn near got one for everyone. Before you buy a Prius, try Honda' new Insight. Or if you want something better, the Ford Fusion Hybrid is getting rave reviews. It's competitors: Toyota Camry Hybrid and Nissan Altima Hybrid. SUV? Ford Escape Hybrid, or a Chevy Tahoo Hybrid. Win the lottery, or if you're Chase? Lexus LS Hybrid.

Yes, the Ford Fusion hybrid looks great. It's cool that I could drive to KC and never fill my tank. You cannot say that with many aside from one of the hybrids, and that really is saying something if you consider that it's almost 600 miles from here to there. I could even drive to El Paso, which would mean I could get to California easily if I filled up there. I don't know how far the Prius would go, as there's another factor as in how much fuel it can carry. Regardless 40+ miles per gallon on a mid-sized car is good. :)

My suggestion: do your homework, no matter what you're looking for.

There has been a great deal of controversy over the claimed mileage of hybrids. I don't know the answers, but it's worth looking into.

Another factor is operational cost. Once the warranty runs out (Always check to see what the warranty covers and for how long.. it varies from vehicle to vehicle, and also between vehicle subsystems)

you've got great deal more complexity and potential expense with a hybrid. The battery pack alone can cost thousands.

One of my major dislikes about hybrids is that some continually start and stop the engine. Starting is always hard on an engine, so I have to wonder what that does to engine life. I don't know the answer to that, either, but its definitely something to look into.

Lastly; do the math. Estimate what kind of mileage you are likely to drive per year, and how long you plan to keep the vehicle (Check blue book to see how they hold their value). If you're a low-mileage driver, the extra cost of a hybrid probably isn't worth it. If you drive a lot, especially in cities or urban areas, it probably is.

All hybrids are not created equal. The Honda Insight, for example, has garnered some nasty reviews. Here's a link to one, and it's worth reading just for the humor. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6294116.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

Personally, when it's time for me to go vehicle-shopping again, I'd be willing to look at hybrids, but I doubt I'd be buying one. I'd be buying an SUV (Necessity for me, as i go offroading and on unimproved roads a lot) so a Prius, along with any other car, would be a no-go. There are hybrid SUV's, but from what I've seen of them (and I haven't looked this year) the extra cost and complexity just isn't worth the fuel savings. One big plus for some hybrid SUVs and trucks; the batteries are hooked up to an AC rectifier, which gives you a heavy-duty 110 AC power source; great for a work vehicle or camping. (I have no idea id hybrid cars have this, but it would be a big plus IMHO)

Another thing to consider; serviceability; check under the hood to make sure whatever you are looking at is easy to maintain. For example, a friend of mine bought a car that had the battery inside the wheel well, and to change it you had to take the wheel off and be a contortionist in order to get to the lock-down nuts. A real nightmare. Same goes for poorly located oil dipsticks, etc.

One last bit of advice; never, ever make a decision to buy in the presence of a salesman. Think it over on your own. If they claim you'll get a better price now than by coming back in twenty minutes, find a different dealership.

My suggestion: do your homework, no matter what you're looking for.

There has been a great deal of controversy over the claimed mileage of hybrids. I don't know the answers, but it's worth looking into.

Another factor is operational cost. Once the warranty runs out (Always check to see what the warranty covers and for how long.. it varies from vehicle to vehicle, and also between vehicle subsystems)

you've got great deal more complexity and potential expense with a hybrid. The battery pack alone can cost thousands.

One of my major dislikes about hybrids is that some continually start and stop the engine. Starting is always hard on an engine, so I have to wonder what that does to engine life. I don't know the answer to that, either, but its definitely something to look into.

Lastly; do the math. Estimate what kind of mileage you are likely to drive per year, and how long you plan to keep the vehicle (Check blue book to see how they hold their value). If you're a low-mileage driver, the extra cost of a hybrid probably isn't worth it. If you drive a lot, especially in cities or urban areas, it probably is.

All hybrids are not created equal. The Honda Insight, for example, has garnered some nasty reviews. Here's a link to one, and it's worth reading just for the humor. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6294116.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

Personally, when it's time for me to go vehicle-shopping again, I'd be willing to look at hybrids, but I doubt I'd be buying one. I'd be buying an SUV (Necessity for me, as i go offroading and on unimproved roads a lot) so a Prius, along with any other car, would be a no-go. There are hybrid SUV's, but from what I've seen of them (and I haven't looked this year) the extra cost and complexity just isn't worth the fuel savings. One big plus for some hybrid SUVs and trucks; the batteries are hooked up to an AC rectifier, which gives you a heavy-duty 110 AC power source; great for a work vehicle or camping. (I have no idea id hybrid cars have this, but it would be a big plus IMHO)

Another thing to consider; serviceability; check under the hood to make sure whatever you are looking at is easy to maintain. For example, a friend of mine bought a car that had the battery inside the wheel well, and to change it you had to take the wheel off and be a contortionist in order to get to the lock-down nuts. A real nightmare. Same goes for poorly located oil dipsticks, etc.

One last bit of advice; never, ever make a decision to buy in the presence of a salesman. Think it over on your own. If they claim you'll get a better price now than by coming back in twenty minutes, find a different dealership.

That's good advice whether you buy a hybrid or not.

I haven't bought a car from a live salesman in 7 years. The whole bargaining process just pisses me off and ruins what is otherwise a great experience (I love getting new cars). I do all my shopping online, via internet quotes. Last car I bought, Acura MDX, took 30 minutes at the dealership, half of which was instructions on the nav system.

CJ, this link does not work any longer. Can you supply another one?

Edited by Rubilacxe

Yaa - read a favorable review on it

Price seems good.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Ford_Fusion-Hybrid/

I like the feature where you can drive up to 47 mph on battery.

Considering that means less time spent on gas while getting to highway speed

I'll wait for the hatchback or wagon version of the car to come back.

I'm not a sedan car type person.

I like to be able to move stuff in my car.

The only feature I like on priesis is the solar cooler.

I bet ford will come out with one in another year or two.