Kettle......Pot.....

Red_A

Idioms. Wow, you've really opened a can of worms. It would take a lot of time just to get to first base with this topic, and we'd never capture the whole nine yards. On the other hand, creating a collection of idioms could be more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Let's run it up the flagpole, and see if anyone salutes. I'm waiting with bated breath.

I wouldn't be able to write a shopping list without a idiom and a metaphor in it somewhere. :)

What's with the Black Pig? Okay, I'm not a man but I have never come across anything offensive involving pigs... now if you had said sheep ..... :)

• Like 1

I never understood the kettle pot saying, well I knew what it meant, but well... the pot never goes on the hob... so it doesn't get black...

erm..... yes it does... the pot was either placed in the embers of the fire (if it was an earthenware one) or was suspended over the fire (cauldron) or placed on the hob (saucepan). Additionally the pot (if it was a saucepan/cauldron) would be made of iron and therefore black in colour anyway. Of course you could be thinking of a different kind of pot in which case it would only go on the hob if it was inside a nice spiced cake when it would probably go on the griddle :)

Nephylim translate that into welsh and it was used in my youth as a mild?!? swear word to describe a person of unwelcomed personnal habits and or morals. Normally used to describe unwelcomed english speakers. although I do not know whether CarDIFFians know or realise this.

Excuse , my grandmother used a kettle to boil water on the fire in the grate, and the cooking pot to cook the food on the fire in the grate. Both were made of black mild steel , and equally dirty from the smoke. some extra info Pot Kettle Link

OOOH a cooking pot... like pots and pans... I don't know why that never clicked... I always thought because it was a kettle and a pot it was refering to an old style kettle - used in the kiln or on a hob which would boil the water to be added to a tea pot... thanks for clarifying that guys :D

Nephylim translate that into welsh and it was used in my youth as a mild?!? swear word to describe a person of unwelcomed personnal habits and or morals. Normally used to describe unwelcomed english speakers. although I do not know whether CarDIFFians know or realise this.

Excuse , my grandmother used a kettle to boil water on the fire in the grate, and the cooking pot to cook the food on the fire in the grate. Both were made of black mild steel , and equally dirty from the smoke. some extra info Pot Kettle Link

Aaaahhh I see. Of course. Where I am from the phrase is Mochen Brunt which translates colloquiall as Dirty Pig, not Black Pig... strange I just hadn't made the connection in English :) Sometimes I think in Welsh, it's strange. Not being a Cardiffian I don't know what they know or realise.. they're all Saes down there anyways. I'm a dyed in the wool valleys girl me :) although I am in the process of selling my house so I can move to Cardiff and get a life :)

In reading stories, it isn't just the idioms, it's also sometimes just other word differences. The main ones that come to mind are "chemist" instead of pharmacy, "boot" instead of trunk (for cars) and the names of various drugs ("paracetamol" instead of Tylenol or acetaminophen, and "nurofen" instead of ibuprofen or Advil).

To be honest, in most cases, I find it a delightful way of expanding what I know about - when I run across these differences, I usually take a break and check them out on wikipedia to find out what they equate to.

PS - thank you Nephylim for translating "hob" - one fewer word to look up ;-)

In reading stories, it isn't just the idioms, it's also sometimes just other word differences. The main ones that come to mind are "chemist" instead of pharmacy, "boot" instead of trunk (for cars) and the names of various drugs ("paracetamol" instead of Tylenol or acetaminophen, and "nurofen" instead of ibuprofen or Advil).

To be honest, in most cases, I find it a delightful way of expanding what I know about - when I run across these differences, I usually take a break and check them out on wikipedia to find out what they equate to.

Erm... sorry that wasn't a translation of hob. I was saying that earthenware pots go in the fire, cauldrons hang over it and sacepans go on the hob. The hob used to be the hot plates at the side of the range where the kettle and pots stood to heat up or keep warm after they had been boiled over the fire. Now it is the name for the cooker top.

NOTE - I have no idea but a brief look gives:

Y Mochyn Du = The black pig in welsh

Most of the links seem to reference a famous pub in Cardiff, it looks like the name is from a welsh folk song. Get the impression there are other connotations but can't find it in a cursory look...

NOTE - I have no idea but a brief look gives:

Y Mochyn Du = The black pig in welsh

Most of the links seem to reference a famous pub in Cardiff, it looks like the name is from a welsh folk song. Get the impression there are other connotations but can't find it in a cursory look...

Cardiff is 99% english speaking "Saes" and has the only pub in wales with that name. My apologise but I try to polite as I thought that Nephylim was bilingual and may be insulted by use of that swear word.

Edited by Red_A

Cardiff is 99% english speaking "Saes" and has the only pub in wales with that name. My apologise but I try to polite as I thought that Nephylim was bilingual and may be insulted by use of that swear word.

Hehe... that's the problem with idioms... they don't translate and you can't look them up :)

I am not completely bilingual and I don't take offence... well sometimes but it is pretty hard to offend me... there have been people who have tried for years :) It is a matter of regret that I am not entirely bilingual, unfortunately my granfather experienced the 'Welsh not' and was speaking English by the time my mother came along. Both my children are entirely bilingual and I have been trying off and on for years. However, I am completely immersed in all things Welsh and ... well I had better not get started on anything nationalistic or I will be guilty of getting very off topic and probably get hung drawn and quartered. :)

whoa... wait a moment! How is it with those pills? I know nurofen and ibuprofen - so Advil is the US name for those? For which one? And paracetamol is either Tylenol or acetaminophen and for god's sake where? :wacko: that's so strange - one can't be ill abroad because they wouldn't be able to buy some common pills... :blink:

now I understand this T-Shirt design! :-D http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/what-the-f**k-did-you-call-me-pot-and-kettle/ so it's something like moralizing? Why it is English law not British law?

Because England is not the whole of Britain. It would like to think it is but.... tongue.gif Seriously Great Britain is made up of 3 separate countries. England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is ... the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland... therefore England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Oh and I forgot to say that Scottish and Irish law is completely different. They have their own legislatures. Technically therefore it is English/Welsh Law

Because England is not the whole of Britain. It would like to think it is but.... tongue.gif Seriously Great Britain is made up of 3 separate countries. England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is ... the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland... therefore England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Oh and I forgot to say that Scottish and Irish law is completely different. They have their own legislatures. Technically therefore it is English/Welsh Law

Oh, of course I know about the division of the UK, only it never came into my mind that each of them has its own legislative - altough they have their own parliaments, i.e. legislatures. Now I feel a little dumb :-D I thought it's something with some idiom about the English law.

whoa... wait a moment! How is it with those pills? I know nurofen and ibuprofen - so Advil is the US name for those? For which one? And paracetamol is either Tylenol or acetaminophen and for god's sake where? :wacko: that's so strange - one can't be ill abroad because they wouldn't be able to buy some common pills... :blink:

Advil and Motrin are both brand names for ibupofen in the US - though Motrin tends to be more thought of for menstrual cramps (I think because of their advertising campaign) - but both are just pure ibuprofen. I saw nurofen for the first time reading a story (The Price on nifty) with the characters living in England. Similarly for paracetamol - I think it was one of Mike Arram's Peacher stories. In the US, Tylenol is a brand name for acetaminophen (and very famous as it was also the source of tampering in the early 80's which led to increased care in packaging of shelf-drugs such as foil wrappers and shrink-wrapping around the lids).

Why it is English law not British law?

I think it's more of a historical reason as the colonies based their legal system on English Law (also frequently referred to as Common Law). Now, 49 of the 50 states use the precedent based common law system, with just Louisiana using a civil law legal system based on French law (and its predecessor Roman law).