Margarine vs Butter

Benji

When I was a kid, Mother made lots of cookies, and one day she decided to make two batches of the same recipe, but out of curiosity to use butter in one batch and margarine in the other. She knew which was which, but I didn't, so it was not a rigorous double-blind scientific experiment and was never published in a scholarly journal. I could tell the difference between the two, and preferred the cookies made with butter. I still liked the other cookies, however, and would gladly eat any of them.

I knew an elderly lady who made wonderful poundcakes, perhaps the best I've ever eaten. She used 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco for the shortening.

How many times have we heard that something in our diet is about to kill us- oh here is a safe alternative that eventually turns out to be much worse.

We've gone through this with eggs, milk, olive oil and butter.

Maybe we should be a little more skeptical?

I think you forgot Sugar from your list.

Interesting that it was illegal to make margarine yellow in Quebec. They had to be nothing but white.

Until last winter.

I got my first margarine last month that is all yellow. It was a bit of a shock to me.

But then I gotta add it is illegal to use trans-fat anywhere in Canada.

That includes making partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

I use margarine because I don't use a lot of them.

This is what I have in my fridge now.

imgp0039.jpg

Edited by Jack Frost

I saw the disclaimer, but I thought you might like some of the facts as opposed to just disclaiming what you had said earlier. However, you still have not explained what you mean by tort reform.

Take care.

Louisiana Writer

B)...............I think you missed the article I had put with the disclaimer, stating truth/myth! Tort reform???? :blink: