gaming survey

Kia Zi Shiru

hi all, next Tuesday I'm having a presentation. I chose to do one about cross gender gaming, playing characters of the opposite sex, even though there is a lot of information about it it all contradicts eachother so I decided to do my own little survey. The questions are mainly aimed at crossgender gamers but I need a lot of different people for this. Not everyone does it but if I only get people who do my charts will turn out all wrong. So please can you guys help me out by filling out my survey and send them to other gamers you know?

When it is done I will post my findings here too :)

http://tiny.cc/crossgendergaming <- the url to the survey.

thnx guys, I really hope you will help me out!

For me, it's not a sexuality thing. I know who I am and I am happy to be a man (there is a certain part of me that I'm most fond of). But, usually, when I play video games I automatically go for the female characters. I've been doing it my whole life. And if I choose to be a male character, or I am forced to, I surround myself with the female characters. It's probably something Freudian, but I think I do it because it works. I have this theory that female characters get extra buffs, so when I'm playing RPGs or fighting games, I use them, and subsequently, dominate. But in FPSs (like CoD) or casual gaming (like Rockband), I'm a dude, as close to myself as possible.

My gamertag always identifies me as male, so I'm not living through my characters. And boobs are great, but it's not like I masturbate to them. I don't really know. Is it really that weird?

I found this interesting, so I filled out your survey :]

I rarely choose to play a female character. Usually if I do, it's because they've allowed me enough room to custom tailor the character to my specific tastes. As a female gamer, I still feel like most games are created to suit a general male preference. For instance... seductress type females- or butt-kicking, muscled, small waisted, big boobed type females. So I guess it really comes down to me not being able to relate on an aesthetic level.

And since I can't relate to the female anyway, I don't see how playing a dude is any different.

I play WoW. And to me, it's not about sexuality either. It's more about aesthetics. In WoW, especially on the Alliance side, where me and my friends play, the male characters are really really ugly and just annoying to look at. WoW is a really cool game, but you don't really get much customization in there. I did start out playing a Human male (he ended up looking like Arnold Swarchenegger with a Michael Jackson nose) but once my friend played a trick and changed my character to female, made it look exactly like his to make us "Twins" when the character gender change feature was implemented. Ever since then I've pretty much always played female character unless I'm playing a dwarf (female dwarves are the ugliest) or a blood elf. Male blood elves are not bad at all.

Bottom line is, it's simply for looks.

Wow... I'm a freakin' nerd. Hope it helped.

Done it as I like games and play as both male and female characters but I don't really play MMORPGs so I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I wrote why I sometimes choose girl characters in games like smash bros. or mario kart which is to beat people who think the girl characters are crap. Even though they aren't real, and I'm a guy, seeing idiots get upset over losing to a "girl" even if its just the character is really funny.

Done it as I like games and play as both male and female characters but I don't really play MMORPGs so I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I wrote why I sometimes choose girl characters in games like smash bros. or mario kart which is to beat people who think the girl characters are crap. Even though they aren't real, and I'm a guy, seeing idiots get upset over losing to a "girl" even if its just the character is really funny.

LoL, you should see what happens when they find out that they really did lose to a girl. It's double funny for me, since I normally play male characters. I had one guy go off on me in private messages- using every curse and name he could think of. Then one day I popped onto one of those voice chats and he found out I was female. He got really quiet then apologized for being so rude, but then got even more embarrassed for losing to a chick.

I don't even understand why my gender matters. Whenever they find out I'm female, all the guys get nicer. But then it's even more of a blow to their egos if they lose? What the hell? It's a freakin' game, who cares.

• 9 months later...

LoL, you should see what happens when they find out that they really did lose to a girl. It's double funny for me, since I normally play male characters. I had one guy go off on me in private messages- using every curse and name he could think of. Then one day I popped onto one of those voice chats and he found out I was female. He got really quiet then apologized for being so rude, but then got even more embarrassed for losing to a chick.

I don't even understand why my gender matters. Whenever they find out I'm female, all the guys get nicer. But then it's even more of a blow to their egos if they lose? What the hell? It's a freakin' game, who cares.

I think it's the whole chivalry thing, but I won't get into that.

I don't really get the idea of cross gender gaming because I like to sometimes immerse myself in the character and the game sometimes to clear my mind or something and I can't do that with a female character.

In today's world, in general, is there really that much difference between male and female personalities? I''m not talking about sexual orientation or specifics, but could you even tell if someone on the Internet was one sex or the other?

It would be interesting to set up anonymous chats to see if people can figure out if they're chatting with a guy or a gal. No deliberate deceptions, just normal conversation to see if there is a discernible difference.

Based on my personal in-game chat experiences, I find that guys like to be more upfront and direct while girls like to add some pleasantries here and there. They're not entirely obvious, nor are they absolutes. Some guys will want to add standard pleasantries here and there while some girls will want to be direct - even to the point of being blunt.

Of course much of this is circumstantial too. If there is a situation where there is not much time to enter an urgent message, obviously a direct approach would be taken. Also if they lost a unit or ship or team member, they would more than likely be blunter than usual out of frustration. Someone in a position of command such as guild master, fleet commander, general, squad leader etc also would typically be more direct. Again, no absolutes.

The gender lines are much more blurred out-of-game though and I probably would have a much smaller chance of guessing compounded on an already microscopic chance of guessing whether the other person is a guy or girl. In this modern world, in general, there are no set rules as to how one should communicate via the internet, provided they are civil in their conversations.