2012 Grammy Awards

wildone

• Site Administrator

So I'm just about done watching the Grammy's for the 2nd time tonight :P and was thinking, what did you take away from the show if you say it?

Here is just a couple of things on my mind:

Jennifer Hudson's emotional and heartfelt tribute to Whitney Houston made a tear come to my eye. I'm sure if Whitney was around she would have been proud. 'I Will Always Love You' will now always stand out in my mind when I think of her.

Glen Campbell out doing 'Rhinestone Cowboy' brought back tons of memories from when I was a kid growing up. For some reason that song was my favourite until I was about 12. :cowboy:

Foster the People, I've heard of them, but when I saw Mark Foster do the cover for the Beachboys, i fell in love :P

The Beachboys, they are iconic and it is about time that they all got together on one stage together again. They defined surfing music then, now and into the future. BTW, did you know Glenn Campbell was a backup singer for the Beachboys in the beginning. Brian Wilson even looked and sounded great.

Tony Bennett continues to charm the women and men of the world.

Adele, wow. Her voice is so amazing. I still can't believe that her voice sounds the way it does without some kind of voice enhancement. She did deserve to be the top winner tonight IMHO.

Sir Paul McCarthy, what a legend. His show closing montage was amazing. He still looks and sounds so young belying his true age. Another thing, whenever anyone was up performing, be it country, rock, indy, rap, electronic, he was getting down with it. I have a lot of respect for the man, probably more than any of the Beatles and would love to get to call him Sir in person. He is definitely deserving of the title.

Just my thoughts, how bout yours?

I agree with you Wildone. What struck me was to see Bruce Springsteen, Tony Bennett, Paul McCartney, The Beach Boys, Glen Campbell(apologies if I've forgotten any) all perform . After all the years they've been performing, they are still relevent,. It was a joy to see that all last night. If I'm not mistaken, all these guys are over 60.

I dont typically watch an awards show, at least not all the way through, but I really wanted to see Adele perform, and well I got hooked and stayed.

Alright I have my own two cents to add to this.

I was impressed that they decided to honor Glenn and that he was there for it. It was painful last year watching him in an interview and realizing how much he has already lost. To see he was able to get through the song and that people still remember him fondly was a nice touch.

The Beach Boys - Who doesn't like seeing and hearing those songs. Just figured if they were going to do a tribute to them I was halfway expecting Wilson Phillips to be there. (Sorry, can't help it.) However I did enjoy that whole section.

Whitney was 6 years older than I am. I'm sorry that was too young to die for any reason, although many suspect it is tied in one way or another to either present or past drug use. I think Jennifer Hudson did a beautiful job. I'm sure Whitney would have enjoyed it.

Tony Bennet is now the oldest Grammy Winner. I find it funny how both Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennet both did Duet albums with some of the newest and biggest and helped to reach new audiences. However, Tony I find is more cagey and seems to bring out something special in the artists he has chosen to work with.

Adele - To say that I am happy that her voice has been saved is understatement. That was her first performance since the throat surgery and I still find her incredible to listen to. I've heard people say she can't sing and isn't talented but everyone seems to be redoing her first two albums over. She reminds me of Lulu and others of the time period. There is no airs about her, she is just a powerhouse who doesn't need a bunch of instruments and mixes to sound good. Give her a piano player and mic, then turn her loose.

Anyway that is my two cents.

PS - Sir Paul just continues to surprise me with his ability. While he has always had his background in the Beatles to fall back on, he built Wings, then his solo career, and still continues on to make new and exciting music that has other artists waiting to work him. I can't wait to see what he and Elton John have planned musically for Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee this year. That show should rock.

• Like 1