Boybands

methodwriter85

Lol, you sound like my dad. Posted Image I definitely think its a generational thing. The 'new age' music is radically different from what you grew up with, so naturally its not really your thing. But while I like some rock from your era, I think a lot of it just sounds repetitive and cliche after a while, and its not that original. My point is, the older generations will always dislike and even criticize the younger generation's music/style/attitudes, etc. because its not the one they grew up with, just as the young will do the same about the older's music/style/attitude.

That's not strictly true. I listen to an awful lot of new music, since I live in a college town, and turn on the radio all teh time when I'm driving. I don't like to listen to much old music because I crave something different. Therer's a lot of great music being made, but I haven't heard ANYTHING from ANY boy band that I liked.

I stopped listening to classical music many years ago becuase it's boring to hear the same music all the time. For the same reason, I got rid of my 70's vinyl. But coming from a musical family, and being educated in performing arts, if it's not well-written and well-played, or too sophomoric, it won't catch my ear.

I'll listen if it's good but boy bands are NOT. They are aimed at 12 year old girls and are neutered to be harmless in the view of parents. Their lyrics are like Fun With Dick and Jane, without the edge or the soul of a Jane's Addiction, the Cranberries, Stone Temple Pilots or Tool.

If you want baby food, have at it. I'm looking for something with more substance to sink my teeth into.

Edited by jamessavik

Honestly, the appeal for boybands is mainly just fun- it's easy and simple and familiar. Listening to One Direction, it takes me back to the summer of 1997 when I fell in love with the Backstreet Boys. That doesn't mean I don't listen to music that I can't sink my teeth into, but sometimes I just want something fluffy and fun that I can dance to.

Anyway, we can't have a boyband thread without mentioning the late 80's/pre-Nirvana 90's phenom, New Kids on the Block.

[media=]

[/media]

This would be more Private Tim's generation than mine, but man...I remember the cartoon they had. My dad apparently really wanted my sister Christine to be into New Kids on the Block(I'm guessing it's because my sister Jennifer had gotten into sex-crazed hairbands like Skid Row and Poison), so she had the New Kids on The Block bed spread and a New Kids on the Block puzzle.

And then Nirvana came and wiped out boybands for about five-six years.

Edited by methodwriter85

I'll listen if it's good but boy bands are NOT. They are aimed at 12 year old girls and are neutered to be harmless in the view of parents. Their lyrics are like Fun With Dick and Jane, without the edge or the soul of a Jane's Addiction, the Cranberries, Stone Temple Pilots or Tool.

If you want baby food, have at it. I'm looking for something with more substance to sink my teeth into.

Would you rather listen to something that's aimed at 12 year-old boys? (*duck and cover*) Seriously, there should be boy bands for boys....

Come on, you know sometimes you want to listening to something for the brain-dead. You know you want it.... Stop resisting.

And please no denture.... (*runs for his life*)

• Like 1

Boy bands are aimed at straight girls and gay boys/men. What would be the point of having a boy band strictly for straight boys?

http://www.nextmagazine.com/content/return-boy-band

There's another article about the possible return of the boy band.

Edited by methodwriter85

I'm liking One Direction and the Wanted. It's just funny to see how the rabid fans keep going at each other- you literally cannot look at comments for either One Direction or the Wanted videos without flame wars going on.

Anyway, here's prolly my favorite boyband song, ever. Take That's "Back for Good".

It's absolute smaltz done so damn well. It hits at all the right heart strings.

Boy bands are aimed at straight girls and gay boys/men. What would be the point of having a boy band strictly for straight boys?

I was just poking fun at jamessavik. He likes to make those kind of remark (what he really meant was, he doesn't like boy bands, but instead he said the parts I quoted), so I just thought oh well, I can play his game also. LOL! Kind of fun.

I think Max and Tom are my favorites.

I like that the Wanted seem like rougher-edged guys, not quite as polished. They get to act more like actual twenty-something guys since they're not in the tween zone as much as BTR or 1D are. They're like a boyband for older people. Nice.

oh you forgot

* Jackson Five, Take That, Boyz II Men, The Ozmonds, New Edition, BoyZone, 98 Degrees,

* The Moffatts (the gay member that broke up the band)

* BBMak, Hanson

* Menudo (i think I heard there's two sets of them to keep up with the demand)

* Next of Kin, No Authority, Take 5, The Choir Boys, Il Divo, UFF

synthetically created boy bands

* Dream Street

* One Direction

* The Monkeys

* Old Town (Teen Choice Awards Band - Parody on N'Sync)

* Naked Boys Singing (theater)

Edited by hh5

• 4 weeks later...

Fandom wars are always funny.

Of course, this particular fandom war is stoked by the fact that these girls all have Twitter and the like.

It's funny though- how does The Wanted's success threaten 1D's, and vice versa? N'Sync and BSB ruled the airwaves back in my day. There was room for both.

Fandom wars are always funny.

Of course, this particular fandom war is stoked by the fact that these girls all have Twitter and the like.

It's funny though- how does The Wanted's success threaten 1D's, and vice versa? N'Sync and BSB ruled the airwaves back in my day. There was room for both.

Is that chick on speed or something? She talks so damn fast. Posted Image

Edited by TetRefine

What the hell is a 'Val'?

MAJOR personality type from the 1980's. So popular it even inspired a movie.

Edited by methodwriter85