The Class of 2007- Reunion after A Tough 5 Years

methodwriter85

I found this article from the Washington Post. I thought it was pretty interesting- it covers the 5-year reunion of the class of 2007 at Dickinson College, a small school in Pennyslvania. It looks at the class of 2007 in terms of being the final class of my generation to have graduated without the recession and horrible economy hanging over their heads.

The Class of 2007- Reunion After A Tough 5 Years

I was a sophomore when the class of 2007 graduated. It's kind of interesting to realize their place in history. I loved the context they put for them:

This class first met in fall 2003, when jobs seemed plentiful, if you had a degree. George W. Bush was president, and Sept. 11 was a horrible Tuesday morning in their junior year of high school. Dorms had land lines, and cellphones were for making calls, not text messaging or checking e-mail. Their college days were marked by Hurricane Katrina's destruction, the television finale of "Sex and the City," the debut of Facebook.

In some ways, the Class of 2007 was the last one to have it easy. It graduated into a workforce with an unemployment rate below 5 percent. For the Class of 2009, the rate was at 9.5 percent. Now, it is just above 8 percent.

I should have graduated in 2009, but I had to take an extra year. I had friends who graduated in '08 and '09 and pretty much none of them were on the pathway of having a job and most were living with their parents. These were the kids who got to the party just before the punch bowl got taken away, which is kind of interesting to think about.

Edited by methodwriter85