NHL lockout appears to be over

A.J.

Happy to have it back as well A.J., crappy local team or not.  We get a bit overwhelmed with college football here; the bureaucracy and inconsistency of the NCAA makes Bettman and the process surrounding the lockout not seem so bad. 

The NHL will never amount to much on the national stage until it gets ESPN to start caring about hockey again. Back in the pre-2004 lockout when ESPN used to broadcast games, the NHL was pretty popular (although still easily in fourth place). When ESPN dropped them after the '04 lockout, and SportsCenter stopped airing anything about the NHL, its popularity plummeted again. For a while, the only nationally televised games were on Versus, which wasn't even a basic cable channel. I don't know if it is now since its changed to 'NBC Sports'. Until you get the monopolized ESPN to care about hockey, it will continue to be a bottom dweller sport in terms of popularity. 

Edited by TetRefine

The deal with NBC is a long one (10 years, iirc), but the good news for the NHL in the NBC deal is that it puts a game on NBC every Sunday after the NFL ends, and every playoff game gets nationally televised, even if some of them are stuck on CNBC.  HDTV has also done wonders for the watchability of televised hockey.

The deal with NBC is a long one (10 years, iirc), but the good news for the NHL in the NBC deal is that it puts a game on NBC every Sunday after the NFL ends, and every playoff game gets nationally televised, even if some of them are stuck on CNBC.  HDTV has also done wonders for the watchability of televised hockey.

Thats true, but that is only one game a week. Take baseball for example. ESPN airs games on Monday, Wednesday, and Sunday nights. Fox and TBS also airs games on weekend afternoons in the summer. So thats at least 5 nationally televised games a week, all on major channels. The NBA gets the same treatment. The NHL is stuck with one game a week on Sunday afternoons, and it doesn't even start until the NFL is over, more then half way through the season. Also, having some playoff games stuck on a business channel where people won't even know its on isn't good for business either. The problem is, ESPN no longer has a financial stake in the NHL, so they completely ignore it in their SportsCenter coverage, which also hurts its popularity. During the winter, SportsCenter is 95% NBA, and the ending couple minutes will include one or two hockey highlights. It gets about as much coverage as soccer does. That I think is the major problem. 

• Site Administrator

Well, I'm usually a humble person myself, but I do have to take A LOT of credit for the ending of the NHL lockout....

I wrote both the NHL and the NHLPA and told them about the risk of the Annual GA Hockey Pool being cancelled this year due to the lockout. I explained that the tens of fans here would be devastated if the pool didn't happen.

Before even the media knew, Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr both personally called me to let me know that our pool was the driving force for the two sides to finally hammer out the final agreement.

:D

• Like 1
Oops, how'd that pic get into my post?  0:)

I do remember, not that long ago the Habs winning the 8 games of the season against Boston... Just sayin'

You'll notice how I took out the pic out of my reply too ;)

Boo Buffalo Teams (including Toronto Bills :P)

It's about time! Montreal for the 25th time!!! :D

I won't predict a 25th for Montreal, at this time... But, once in playoff anything can happen! :P

Ehh... Montreal lost 2-1, but it's a good match... Michel Therrien is back where he should be... back with the Canadiens :D

Also, I watched the opening ceremony... I have to say that it's a battle between Lars Eller, the Dane, and Alex Galchenyuk, the rookie, for the hottest Hab!

nhl-agalchenyuk-02.jpg

What a handsome face... I think I will like having him on our team hopefully for a long time! and he can speak Russian, Italian, and English fluently :D

Edited by Rakuten06

Fun with small sample sizes:

If the season ended today, Toronto and Columbus would make the playoffs; the Capitals, Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings, Canucks, Coyotes, and Kings would all miss.

In all seriousness, get ready for some flukes this year, but probably mostly on the individual stats level - last year, 15 of the 16 eventually playoff teams were in playoff position after 48 games.