Are the Penguins poised to win the cup?

wildone

• Site Administrator

So the Pittsburgh Penguins have made a trade that most in the hockey world thought they wouldn't be able to do, they acquired Jarome Iginla from my beloved Calgary Flames early this morning in the eastern time zone.

This just after acquiring Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray to their line up for the run for the cup.

The question now is this the perfect lineup to win this years Stanley Cup, or is it a recipe for disaster. There is always a chance an 8th seeded team of winning it all like the LA Kings did last year.

I have lots of mixed emotions of Jarome Iginla leaving from the Flames. I got to know him personally from the first day he showed up where he actually left me with a bad first impression of him. It took a few years of growth and maturity on his part for me to see and accept that the first impression was very wrong. Calgary is losing their franchise player, one that has been more to this city than any other player including Theo Fleury, Lanny McDonald, Joe Nieuwendyk, or others.

I guess the most overwhelming feeling I have is that I'm glad that he will have the opportunity to have a chance to win the Stanley Cup since the '04 appearance against Tampa Bay.

Wishing that the pride and joy of Jarome's pass to Sydney Crosby to win the Gold Medal in the Vancouver Winter Olympics to all Canadians, gives me hope that those two will continue their winning ways when paired up together.

• 5 weeks later...

Since the playoffs are almost here, I will take the time to answer this one...

Personally, I don't think that pittsburg will win the cup.. A team with so many big names usually do not get to win it all... 

As for who will win it, well if it can't be the habs, I'll go with Chicago or Detroit.  :) Mind you those are my personal favourite, I'm not taking any bets...

Edited by FrenchCanadian

B) ...............I have no idea, to be honest with you, I follow NCAA basketbal religiously, the NCAA Baseball and NBA, and Pro- Baseball I watch in the quarterfinals only. I do follow teams in the NFL that I like during the season, and other teams I don't follow at all. I'm not sure I have ever watched a soccer match to it's conclusion. I guess it comes down to what you like!!  :lol:

Last day of the season, and not a single matchup is set yet.  Crazy!  For tonight/tomorrow:

EAST

Pittsburgh Penguins:  Locked into the 1 seed.

Boston Bruins:  Will be the 2 or 4.  In Washington today, host Ottawa tomorrow.  They need to get more points than Montreal (@ Toronto) this weekend to keep the 2 seed, otherwise they get the 4. UPDATE:  Get the 2 with a win over Ottawa, the 4 with a loss.

Washington Capitals:  Locked into the 3 seed.

Montreal Canadiens:  Will be the 2 or 4.  In Toronto tonight; must get more or the same number of points as Boston (tonight @ Washington, tomorrow vs Ottawa) this weekend to take over the 2.  UPDATE:  Get the 2 with a Boston loss (vs Ottawa), the 4 with a Boston win.

Toronto Maple Leafs (!!!):  Will be the 5 or 6.  Keep the 5 with at least 1 point tonight hosting Montreal or any kind of loss by Ottawa tonight (vs Philly) or tomorrow (@ Boston).

New York Rangers:  Will be the 6 or 7.  Fall to 7 if Ottawa earns at least 3 points this weekend (tonight vs Philly, tomorrow @ Boston).

New York Islanders (!!!!!):  Will be the 7 or 8.  Keep the 7 if Ottawa loses both games in regulation this weekend (tonight vs Philly, tomorrow @ Boston).

Ottawa Senators:  Could finish as the 5, 6, 7 or 8Get the 5 with 2 wins and Toronto regulation loss vs Montreal.  Get the 6 with 2 wins and Toronto earning at least a point against Montreal, or with 3 points this weekend.  Get the 7 with 1 or 2 points this weekendKeep the 8 with 2 regulation losses this weekend.

8 ISLANDERS @ 1 PENGUINS

7 SENATORS @ 2 CANADIENS

6 RANGERS @ 3 CAPITALS

5 MAPLE LEAFS @ 4 BRUINS

WEST

Chicago Blackhawks:  Locked into the 1 seed.

Anaheim Ducks:  Locked into the 2 seed.

Vancouver Canucks:  Locked into the 3 seed.

Saint Louis Blues:  Will be the 4, 5, or 6Get the 4 with a win tonight hosting Chicago, or a point tonight and a loss by LA (vs San Jose).  Get the 5 with a point tonight and a win by LA, or a regulation loss and any result except a SJ win over LA in OT or shootout.  Get the 6 with a loss tonight and a SJ win over LA in OT or shootout.

Los Angeles Kings:  Will be the 4, 5, or 6Get the 4 with a win tonight hosting San Jose and a Saint Louis loss against Chicago.  Get the 5 with a win and a Saint Louis win, or an overtime or shootout loss and a Saint Louis regulation lossGet the 6 with a regulation loss, or an overtime or shootout loss and Saint Louis earning at least a point.

San Jose Sharks:  Will be the 4, 5, or 6.  Get the 4 with a win tonight at Los Angeles and a Saint Louis loss in regulation against Chicago.  Get the 5 with a win and Saint Louis earning at least a point.  Get the 6 with a loss tonight.

Detroit Red Wings:  Will be the 7, 8, or miss the playoffsGet the 7 with a win tonight @ Dallas, or an overtime or shootout loss tonight and a Minnesota loss tonight (@ Colorado).  Get the 8 with an overtime or shootout loss tonight and a Minnesota win, or a regulation loss and Minnesota earning at least a point and a Columbus loss (@ Nashville), or a regulation loss and a Minnesota loss and a Columbus win.  Miss the playoffs with a regulation loss and Minnesota earning at least a point and a Columbus win.

Minnesota Wild:  Will be the 7, 8, or miss the playoffsGet the 7 with a win tonight @ Colorado and a Detroit loss (@ Dallas), or an overtime or shootout loss tonight and a Detroit loss in regulation and a Columbus loss (@ Nashville).  Get the 8 with a win and a Detroit win, or an overtime or shootout loss and Detroit earning at least a point and a Columbus loss, or an overtime or shootout loss and a Detroit regulation loss and a Columbus win, or a regulation loss and a Columbus regulation loss.  Miss the playoffs with an overtime or shootout loss and Detroit earning at least a point and a Columbus win, or a regulation loss and Columbus earning at least a point.

Columbus Blue Jackets:  Will be the 7, 8, or miss the playoffs.  Get the 7 with a win @ Nashville and a Detroit regulation loss (@ Dallas) and a Minnesota loss (@ Colorado).  Get the 8 with a win and Detroit earning at least a point and a Minnesota loss, or a win and a Detroit regulation loss and a Minnesota win, or an overtime or shootout loss and a Minnesota loss in regulationMiss the playoffs with a loss in regulation, or an overtime or shootout loss and Minnesota earning at least a point, or a win and Detroit earning at least a point and a Minnesota win.

8 WILD @ 1 BLACKHAWKS

7 RED WINGS @ 2 DUCKS

6 SHARKS @ 3 CANUCKS

5 KINGS @ 4 BLUES

Edited by BlueSoxSWJ