Will Intel Haswell chips bring the desktop power to the tablets?

hh5

gosh imagine all computing replaced with Haswell
the electric bill will go down and the computing power will go up
the tablets will run for days

other uses of the technology could be applied to make other products smarter

of course we're still far away from the Terminator universe, lol

perhaps companies will not be so fast to drop Intel
while intel is lucky that cyber espionage hasn't stolen their secrets

The graphics performance of Haswell will depend on the chip type and PC configuration. For example, Intel's fourth-generation Core i7-4650U ultrabook chip, which is based on Haswell and draws 15 watts of power, delivers one-and-a-half times the graphics performance of a comparable 17-watt, third-generation Core i7-3687U based on Ivy Bridge. A 28-watt Core i7-4558U doubles the graphics performance of the 17-watt Ivy Bridge chip.

intel-haswell-graphics.jpg 
The company typically releases a new chip for laptops and desktops every year, with each new generation adding more CPU and graphics performance. With PC shipments falling, Haswell chips are perhaps the most important chip release for the company to date. Intel hopes the power-efficient fourth-generation Core chips will also be used in devices like tablets or hybrids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMujmUonqk

So a year from now ... could we be holding a tablet with more than the power of current day desktops?

Edited by hh5

Found out that haswell will be the last processor of its kind

Haswell => broadwell => skylake => Skymont

22nm .. => 14nm..... => 14nm .. => 11nm

2013 .. => 2014..... => 2015 .. => 2016

by 2016 desktop chips will be lower power and running faster

but those chips won't be socketed ... they will be soldered to the motherboard

Intel Atom processor next revision Silvermont, a smaller architecture promises to double the cpu n GPU performance

Win8 tablets will be blazing fast and much cheaper in price to take on the smaller tablets

I still look forward for Skymont ... I wonder how much power it will take to run it and how much of a performance gain

its three years down the line and the industry going to get even more competitive

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like a dinosaur for saying this but I think that the saddest day in technology (for me) will be the day that we evolve beyond desktops. I am intrigued by every advancement we make and spend way too much money making sure I stay on top of the latest of... well, everything (like my Note 2 that I pretentiously take out of my pocket every few seconds so everyone can see!). But desktops will always hold a special place in my heart. From the first computer my mom brought home when I was 12 (that my baby brother stuffed full of pennies two days later) to my ASUS desktop I got in a trade for a laptop and have NEVER regretted.

But, to wrap up my rant and answer the question, I can see where it makes sense for a company to throw all their energy into creating faster tablets. A few years ago, I worked for Dell and even then there was a noticeable market for laptops, netbooks and tablets. I can only imagine that's growing almost daily.

• 2 weeks later...

some say we've reach the level of the matrix ...

c_Matrix_notizia.jpg'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2216189/Do-live-Matrix-researchers-say-way-prove-do.html

China Supercomputer Poised to Take No. 1 Ranking

Google and NASA collaborate on AI research with new quantum supercomputer

Japan Plans New Super-Fast Supercomputer

IBM’s Watson supercomputer could be the cure for awful customer service

Gosh one day all service would be replaced by supercomputers ... man will have nothing to do, lol

It would be the matter of wide spread use of supercomputers at the corporate level ... than at the country level for science

isn't the processors of supercomputers specialized ones ... so we won't really see an INTEL\AMD supercomputer

120511043715-computer-aided-writing-stor

Could a computer write this story?

Computer applications can drive cars, fly planes, play chess and even make music.
But can an app tell a story?
Chicago-based company Narrative Science has set out to prove that computers can tell stories good enough for a fickle human audience. It has created a program that takes raw data and turns it into a story, a system that's worked well enough for the company to earn its own byline on Forbes.com.
Kristian Hammond, Narrative Science's chief technology officer, said his team started the program by taking baseball box scores and turning them into game summaries.
"We did college baseball," Hammond recalled. "And we built out a system that would take box scores and historical information, and we would write a game recap after a game. And we really liked it."

Who is using this? or is this still R&D?

intel-knights-corner-2.jpg

What's the future of Knights Corner? A supercomputer containing only these many-core processors?

Reinders: Yes, we're definitely on that path. Knights Corner is doing a teraflop. I was one of the designers of the Ascii Red, the first teraflop computer on the planet. It was more than 9,000 processors. When you shrink all of that onto one chip, you still need to surround it with memory and I/O and other things but you can't touch the individual cores the same way we could on a 9,000 processor machine. There are some challenges there. Those get worked out over time. So, in the future we'll have a cluster of these that will be more power efficient. We haven't announced a product that does that but it's certainly an expectation that we won't miss fulfilling eventually.

I don't know of any operating systems that boot on GPUs. When we demonstrated Knights Corner (on Tuesday) we had a Linux operating system running on the chip. Is part of it running on the Xeon? No, actually the full Linux operating system is running on the Knights Corner chip.

There's a significant difference in power consumption too. The 5110P draws 225 watts at peak load, while the 3120A is rated at 300 watts, which is going to limit its deployment in densely configured servers. Nevertheless, Intel says this latter card is the go-to product for situations where you want to maximize FLOPS per dollar. Intel's recommended price is below $2,000 for this part, while the higher memory 5110P is being targeted at $2,649.

wow $2,000(cpu)+$2,649(mem) .... at least $10,000 for one of these supercomputers

downside ... the electric bill lol

Edited by hh5

Moore's Law of 1965 predicting the logarithmic increase in computing power every two years or so has proved uncannily accurate

350px-Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

This may be a case of making the prophecy come true. Since it was put forward, who is to know how much holding back or extra effort has been applied by companies and governments to meet the curve.  I certainly know of cases where "the project has been held back because it does not meet the curve" There is no market yet for the product. Simalarly when I have been left alone in the bar at night because "we need a new product" huge effort was expended.

• Like 1

mac air will have haswell

zdnet-cnet-wwdc-2013-macbook-air-2-600x4

the 128gb will compete well with Win 8 128 gb at 999

most likely people will move to apple for that same 999 price

ipad retina 128gb 4g cost 929

the extra 70 dollars and u get a keyboard or save 70 dollars and u get retina 

• Like 1

Which is better? which is power efficient?

GigaHertz Wars 2.0? AMD Releases World's First 5.0 GHz FX Processor

header.jpg

AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled its most powerful member of the legendary AMD FX family of CPUs, the world's first commercially available 5 GHz CPU processor, the AMD FX-9590. These 8-core CPUs deliver new levels of gaming and multimedia performance for desktop enthusiasts. AMD FX-9000 Series CPUs will be available initially in PCs through system integrators.