Supper or Dinner

Celethiel

Someone told me that only fancy rich people from the south say supper... or was it poor people... i don't remember that part too well...

And I was like, Really i say supper all the time, in fact my whole family does... and we're neither rich nor have we ever lived in the south....

Anyway out of curiousity, the question is who say's dinner and who say's supper.

My family say's Supper unless it's a family get together, like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter...etc

In the UK, generally "supper" referred to an evening meal when the main meal of the day had been eaten early in the afternoon.  So at Christmas,when the main meal is usually eaten around 1PM, for those families who then have a light meal (perhaps sandwiches with the leftover turkey) in the evening that would be called "supper".  Though until the 20th century, it was common for the main meal of the day to be eaten between noon and 2PM, and then for a second smaller meal to be served in the evening; however, with the advent of "lunch" or "luncheon", the main meal was pushed to the evening and "supper" of old disappeared.

In some parts of the world, "supper" meant an informal family meal, usually just the family you live with and with none of the pzzazz.  "Dinner" on the other hand, was a more formal affair or for a celebration, eaten in the dining room, with napkins and tableclothes, using the best plates and cutlery, perhaps even with invited guests.  (I think is the distinction you are referring to Celethiel).

However, these "distinctions" have died out for the most part, and (rightly or wrongly) the two words are now used interchangeably.

Nowadays, it is common (in Scotland) for fish and chips to be referred to as a "fish supper", and the meal eaten on Burns Night (consisting of haggis, neaps and tatties) is referred to as a "Burns Supper".

A number of clubs and organisations offer members a "light supper" at the conclusion of evening events when it often past the usual dining hours.

A meal consisting of chicken, chips, peas, onions and gravy can be referred to as a "chicken supper" in Ireland.

I was raised in the rural Midwest where it was always supper. When I left home for college in the big city I switched to dinner in an effort to seem more sophisticated and urbane. I know; silly, isn't it? Now, I'm like Joann414. I usually use supper except when inviting others to dine with me, so there's no question as to which meal I'm referring.

Edited by mickey1952

• 2 weeks later...

tea, supper and dinner are all different meals where we come from.

Dinner - a meal eaten around 7-9pm, things like lasagna, roast, stews, stirfrys. Hot food.

Supper - a meal eaten informally at some point between 9pm and bed time, usually involves cheese, fruit, alcohol. not usually eaten hot.

Tea - a fairly formal meal eaten around 3.30-5pm, usually with tea (the drink) bread and butter, boiled eggs and sometimes cake.

Generally you will have one of these meals only per day, but on a day where you forget to eat lunch you might then have both tea and supper.