Player stand against homophobia

Graeme

• Site Administrator

This morning, there was an interesting article in the newspaper about a player in the Collingwood Football Club who has taken a stance against a homophobic comment made within the club:

Lumumba and Collingwood set to part ways over slur

The reference to the "Mardi Gras" in the article is for Sydney's Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras -- Australia's highest profile 'pride' event.

The main reason I'm posting this, though, is because of a couple of comments on the article:

Please don't go Heritier. We love you. As for the poster, that's appalling. As a gay man and Collingwood supporter, I find it insulting and hurtful. Thanks for standing up, Heritier. Tom

Commenter J

@J

Thanks for the post. As a bit of a dinosaur, I had a giggle and thought nothing more of it.

But I am the father of a gay teenage boy, and it this offends then I'm now aware of it. Good luck to H and you too J

Commenter Paolo

I actually thought the same as Paolo -- the reaction from Heritier Lumumba was too strong. However, I also agree with Paolo -- if it offends then it offends. Casual homophobia is not acceptable.