2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

15 Things That 1980's College Students Did That Would Baffle Kids

methodwriter85

Heh, I hope Arbour gets a kick out of this:

15 Things That 1980's College Students Did That Would Baffle Kids Today

I don't think I would have wanted to be a college kid in the 1980's- no dorms with cable t.v., and having to type things on a typewriter would have just sucked. Instead, I would pick being a college kid in the early/mid-1990's- computers are common, the internet is there, and the music is great.

However, one big advantage 1980's college students had...from the 1985-1986 UD student catalog:

fHys16I.jpg?3

Could you imagine that? And it's not like 1985 money is that much smaller than 2015 money. Inflation wise the tuition would be $4,682 in today's money. Actual 2015 tuition is like 12k.

Anyway, to go along with this theme...check out these 1985 University of Delaware students having an informal study session with their professor in their dorm lounge:

10009997_728789707231730_682421408026847

Gotta love their funny hairstyles and clothes!

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Actually, this was like Totally Me in the 80s. I mean Totally!

I even had a linen blazer!

Those college guys up there totally didn't Rock the look.

f68667f216e240ecebf25dde0e883535.jpg

That was interesting. 

I had cable tv in my dorm room.  Of course. 

The biggest annoyances from that era, IMHO, are both in the article:  typewriters and no cell phones.  You had to become an ace with that correction tape shit, otherwise papers were a royal pain in the ass.  And without cell phones, you had a tough choice to make.  Stay home, by the phone; or go out and try to meet up with your friends?  And once you left home, you were incommunicado. 

That was interesting. 

I had cable tv in my dorm room.  Of course. 

The biggest annoyances from that era, IMHO, are both in the article:  typewriters and no cell phones.  You had to become an ace with that correction tape shit, otherwise papers were a royal pain in the ass.  And without cell phones, you had a tough choice to make.  Stay home, by the phone; or go out and try to meet up with your friends?  And once you left home, you were incommunicado. 

Yeah, but you also went to a massively expensive private college, didn't you?

The first Firefly I went to, I pretty much decided to go cell-phone free, in terms of not calling up my acquaintances from that weekend. We joked that it was like 80's style. There was something kind of cool about just trying to see if you could bump into your friends.

Edited by methodwriter85

Wait, you mean you guys opened up those funny looking things with white paper pages to find information to write papers? Didn't you know about Google back then?!?!

They also didn't have Wikipedia as well!!

Wait, you mean you guys opened up those funny looking things with white paper pages to find information to write papers? Didn't you know about Google back then?!?!

They also had something called card catalogs instead of a search engine at the library.