2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

When I'm Gone - A Serious Of Heartfelt Letters From A Father To A

Menace

Very touching. ... I was 22 when my father died of cancer. The last time I saw him he didn't tell me he was dying. At the time of his death I was in the USAF at a school in Louisiana and was woken in the night to be told my father was dead. I went home on a 30-day emergency leave not knowing the reason of his death. My mother was devastated, but I couldn't understand why. I thought it had been sudden, but within a few days I found out the why and how and couldn't see how my mother, who had been there at his death, could be totally broken down.

My last memory of my father was one of the few father-son chats we ever had. He wasn't a personable father. He always seemed to hold me off at arms length, but on that day he told me that one of his fishing buddies, who owned a HVAC company, said he could get me into the steamfitter's union when I graduated from high school. My father told him I probably wouldn't be interested in doing that kind of work. He didn't even discuss it with me. He just assumed I wouldn't want to make big bucks doing dirty work. Of course, looking back it was probably for the best, but when he told me that it simply reinforced my opinion that he wasn't the greatest father who ever lived.

So people have fond memories of their fathers. Some don't. Unfortunately, I belong to the latter group. My only hope is that I've been a good father to my son.

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing that, Dennis.  It was a real tear jerker, but hopefully it will bring some comfort to those that lost a parent when they were young, or possibly encourage someone in a similar situation to do something like this too.  I sat by the bedside of several relatives when they passed and I sometimes wish they had written me little notes too, so I'd be able to think about the good times with them again, and not just miss them so badly.  Thanks again.  

• Like 1

Oh, gosh darn it (these are not the words I'm saying right now) Dennis! It's too early to cry this much!

Thanks for sharing though. A beautiful story.

• Like 1

That's really touching and sort of morbid to know your dad is speaking to you from beyond the grave after you lose your virginity or figure out you are gay.

It reminds me of Mitch Albom's books like Tuesday with Morrie or For One More Day