The Rise (and Stay) of Battle Royale

While gaming companies have tried to innovate and still draw in players, recent years have featured the rise of Battle Royale.  PUBG & Fortnite drew much of the early attention, with the newest addition being EA/Respawn's Apex Legends.  

These offer a rather different take than previous models, and feel much closer to mobile mindsets than traditional console games.  The free to play + micro-transactions to get things system has dominated mobile gaming for as long as that's been a thing.  However, by making most of  it cosmetic-based, it does keep the playing field fairly simple (at least in Apex, but I didn't try any before then).  Like mobile gaming, these play on the few spending massive amounts, as well as the casual "what's a few bucks here and there" type players to make up for the lack of an initial price tag.

Anyone have any thoughts on the rise of these games?  I find it to be an interesting model to change, but it seems to be working (and with some major AAA titles floundering, it's not like it's simply all video games doing well).  Do you all love them?  Hate them?  Ignore them? I'm late to the game since I never looked at these in the past, but I can see some of the draw.  Just curious what others' experiences have been.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Looks cool.  Probably great for watching (Twitch, Mixer, Whatever).  Not my sort of game genre.  I like single player, story heavy games most.  

• Like 1