Jump to content

kajean

Members
  • Posts

    85
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by kajean

  1. kajean

    Chapter 73

    Happy memories of my own of the Bronx Zoo, and, yes, including lunch (Manhattan style clam chowder); I was 16 and on vacation with family. We drove from Colorado to New York to visit Dad's people. That was 62 years ago, and I still remember the thrill of being at the Bronx Zoo (and New York City). Learning other languages can be fun. While my college major was English, I also minored in French and German. I failed French but somehow learned it anyway and can still read it. Straight "A's" in German, and now I recognize when I see it, but it is a "foreign" language. Later in graduate school I studied classical Hebrew and New Testament Greek. Again, straight "F's" in Greek, but now I can read the New Testament in the original. Straight "A's" in Hebrew, and now I only recognize it when I see it! Never studied Spanish although I live in the Southwest. Never studied Italian, but I can understand it well enough in movies to know whether the English subtitles are correct. I never thought I would enjoy languages, but it has been fun over the years. Next: Dutch and Gaelic - if I live long enough. Colin can do it. Armand just has to "incentivize" him enough. Book stores (and Amazon) are full of books on learning just about any language you can think of. And there are loads of online language-learning tools also. To fit any age person. And, of course, I retired as a computer programmer. Computer code is just another language, albeit a lot simpler and infinitely more direct than any people language. Great memories in this story. Thank you for it (the story) -- and them (the memories).
  2. kajean

    Chapter 72

    Clancy59, I'm with you. Absolutely loved your "diatribe". And it is all true, too true. John (Ph.D. in English)
  3. kajean

    Chapter 1

    I recognized it. And loved it. But like you, my dear dachshund, it has been so many years that I didn't feel like commenting. However, since you did, I did too.
  4. kajean

    Moving Forward

    "...a pronoun is anywhere a mouse can go…over, under, through, around and others.” I believe you mean prepositions rather than pronouns. Pronouns merely substitute for nouns, e.g., he, she, it, they, them, etc. Prepositions can be tricky. I'm multi-lingual, myself, and I can assure you that prepositions can be VERY tricky. Even in ancient Greek and Hebrew pronouns are simple. I remember the day in ninth grade when suddenly prepositions made sense, and I knew I would become an English teacher. I did teach English for a short time before I went on to do other things, but I continued language studies in graduate school, eventually earning a Ph.D. in English. Another great chapter. These are wonderful guys.
  5. kajean

    Weight Of The Past

    Another amazing chapter in this superb story. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...