Jump to content
    6819zulu
  • Author
  • 2,690 Words
  • 2,884 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gabe Darby - 1. Chapter 1 Coming Home

This is My first attempt at writing and publishing a story..

I hope you enjoy this first installment please send your comments and Constructive criticism to 6819zulu@gmail.com

 

 

Gabe Darby

Chapter 1 Returning Home

The room was dark and quiet, except for the beep of the medical monitors and a small reading light in the corner. Gabe Darby sat in one of the chairs with a book in hand, not reading, in fact, He hadn't turned a page in over an hour. Gabe just sat there staring at the small form of his Mother lying in the Hospital bed, her face bandaged, left foot in a cast. The Doctors were keeping her sedated because of her crushed ribs when her car hit the tree. Gabe gave thanks that his father had given his Lincoln Town Car to her. His company had given him a promotion, which came with a corporate car, for his latest patent that had saved the company hundreds of millions of dollars. That large car had saved his mother. A smaller car would not have protected her as comfortably as that “behemoth” as she likes to call the Lincoln. Gabe smiled at the thought of his tiny mother driving that huge two door 1972 Lincoln Town Car.

Carolyn Darby was a small woman, she stood five feet three inches, and she weighed 140 pounds. Carol had to sit on a pad just to see over the steering wheel of that big car. Though Mom was diminished in stature, she was huge in the heart. The mother of seven kids, five sons, and two young ladies, she had more love to share than anyone Gabe had ever seen.

She was a stay at home Mom; she also performed volunteer work for St. Catherine's Catholic Church. She had married Gabe's father after his stint in the Navy during WWII. Nine months after the wedding her first son Michael (Mike) was born. Raphael (Raph) came along 14 months later. Then came Zadekiel (Zad) 16 months later. Two years later came Margaret. Next, 18 months later came Gabriel (Gabe). Then two years later Rachel was born. The Doctor’s told Carolyn no more children as the bout of Rheumatic fever had severely weakened her heart. But four years later, along came Patrick. Gabe's Mom had run out of angel names by then.

As Gabe sat there thinking about his mother, a large figure stepped into the doorway. Gabe looked up to see his father standing there. A.J. Darby was a large man, he stood six feet three inches, and he was 180 pounds of barrel chest and hard muscle. A.J slowly walked to the bedside, bowed his head and held on Carolyn's hand for a few minutes. Then he bent and kissed her gently on the forehead. He sat in the chair beside Gabe and sighed. Gabe reached for his father's hand and held tightly for a few seconds; then half smiled at his father.

“The doctors are going to keep her under for at least a week to help those ribs heal.” said A.J., “They say she will be here in the hospital for at least a month. After that, she should be strong enough to come home. “ “I know Dad, I spoke to the Doctors when they were in a while ago,” said Gabe “They also said it would be at the very least, six months before she will be able to be on her own.” “It's when she comes home that's got me worried,” said AJ.

“I have been thinking about that too Dad. “Said Gabe “I called the Regional VP and explained about the accident, I have four days off this week, then I need to head back to the city for a few days. He is looking into a position for me around here, so I can be closer and help out when Mom comes home.” “Now Gabe, no need for all that I will get things worked out, with Margaret and Rachel both here in Indian Creek I think we can manage.” “But Dad they both have their own families to care for, and with your promotion, that means a lot more travel for you. Plus, I'm tired of the city I need to get away for a while, and being back here, close to the family will help a lot. To tell you the truth, I have been very lonely there. Since Darla left, I have a lot of time on my hands.”

“You never told us what happened between you and Darla; you were together for what six years?” asked AJ “Dad… I’m sorry, but I don't want to talk about it now, “sighed Gabe “OK!” “OK,” said A.J. Holding his hand up defensively. “I get it, why don't you head home and get settled in visiting hours are almost up. I'll sit with your mother till they chase me out, then I will come home.” “OK Dad,” Gabe said shaking his head “Rose Sanders is the night nurse tonight, she stopped in just after the doctors, she a good friend so don't give her too much grief when she tells you to leave. “Shaking his finger and smiling at his Dad Gabe said “Please... I heard about the night of the Accident when you got in the orderly's face, and the duty nurse called Security thinking you were going to hit him” said Gabe smiling knowing it took a lot to get his father so mad he would use violence to get his way. With a big grin on his face, Gabe turned slow away and started down the hall. His Dad was a big guy, and he knew how to use his size to intimidate and bully people into getting what he thought was right. But Gabe had learned long ago that his father was just an old softy at heart and but if you stood your ground with respect, he would return that respect.

As Gabe stood waiting for the elevator, he looks at his reflection in the glass of a door to a darkened office. Standing Six feet and weighing 170 he looked good. In fact, lots of people said he looked a lot like the UCLA Quarterback and actor Mark Harmon. He liked that comparison, not only because the girls thought Harmon looked hot but so did he. There it was, the nagging secret. The truth, he had kept buried since high school, Yes, Gabe had dated and even slept with women, but he also had had sex with men. Gabe was Bisexual. He liked women and loved being intimate with them, but he always felt a much closer bond with the guys.

The chime of the elevator broke Gabe from his private thoughts; he turned towards the door as it opened, and was surprised to see Brad Jacobs standing there. Six two, dark blond, bright blue smiling eyes that could melt icebergs. Brad had been Gabe's best friend in high school and roommate in college and his lover. Though he had added muscle to his chest shoulder and arms, he still gave Gabe the chills when he looked at him. Gabe stood there in stunned silence until Brad quickly smothered Gabe in a bone-cracking hug. “Gabe, it's so good to see you,” said Brad and placed a quick, gentle kiss on the side of Gabe's neck, sending shivers down his spine. Gabe pulled back and looked at Brad again; It was then he noticed the khaki uniform shirt and badge that he wore. He did it, he had become a Deputy Sheriff. “Brad, oh my God, what are you doing here?” exclaimed Gabe

“I heard about our mother's accident and came over to see how she and your Dad were doing.” answered Brad. “You know that your Parents mean the world to me, and I was hoping to see you.” Brad said with a sly smile and a wiggle of his eyebrows. Gabe looked at his foster brother, friend, ex-roommate, and ex-lover up and down. Brad was more than just a friend/boyfriend; he is his brother. When they were both thirteen, just starting high school. Brad's Parents had been killed in a robbery of their Gas Station Convenience Store that was just off the exit to the interstate ten miles east of town. It was such a shock to the community. The Jacobs had been very popular with the residents of Indian Creek. Sponsoring little league teams and lots of other things for the benefit of the town's youth. Brad's older sister had been a freshman in college when this all happened, and she was his only other family. A.J. And Carolyn had requested to be Brad's foster parents and Judge Collins thought that was a very good idea. So Brad had come to live with Gabe and the Darby family. He shared a room in the basement with Gabe and his older brother Raph, till Raph went off to boot camp. That is when the basement became their sole domain. His mother and sister never dared enter “Man's Country” with Dad and Pat only coming down to watch sporting events with them. It's during this time that Gabe and Brad had started experimenting together and “helping each other out “as they say. Gabe's smile couldn't have been broader as he looked at Brad.

“Mom is in room 425, Dad is with her now, I was just heading to the house to get some food and unpack.” he said, “Moms in a medically induced coma right now they want her ribs to heal some before she wants to start to move around.” “OH! I had heard she had been hurt, but didn't know it was that bad “Brad said with a look of concern. “Relax Buddy, she's going to be okay the doctors assured me. “Answered Gabe. “So you're with the Sheriff’s Department now?” He asked. “Yeah, I am... I am working out of the County Seat right now, but if the Board of Commissioners approves my promotion I will be a shift supervisor for the Eastern Substation.” replied Brad “Man that is just too cool Brad I'm happy for you,” said Gabe “Hey, let me look in on the folks and then will we can grab some grub and catch up,” Brad said as he started down the hall, pulling Gabe along with his massive arm around Gabe's shoulder.

As they walked through the door, AJ looked up, and his face broke into a smile. He hadn't seen Brad in almost a month since he had stopped by the house at Christmas time. Brad hadn't been able to make the family Christmas as he had the duty shift at Arlowe, the county seat some 30 miles southwest of Indian Creek, which was in the northeast corner of the county. “Brad my boy! “Exclaimed A.J. Rising upon seeing the two boys walk into the room. “Found him lurking in the elevator on my way out Dad,” said Gabe smiling broadly. “LURKING! Peace officers don't lurk that's what Criminals Do Bucko” stated Brad punching Gabe in the shoulder just like they did in high school. A.J. Laughed at the two boys... young men now, he thought to himself. It's like the days when they were in high school and almost inseparable.

“Sorry it's been so long Pop, and I hate that it's something like this that gets me back home,” Brad murmured as he hugged his foster father. He was the only person to get away with calling him Pop, but It was just too difficult to call him Dad. “It’s OK boy, it’s really OK “A.J. whispered to Brad as he returned the warm, loving hug and patted him on the back. As he pulls back from the hug, he could see the tears in Brad's eyes. AJ is fighting back his own tears also. They exchanged an unspoken moment, knowing how each felt. AJ never tried to replace Brad's father who had been his best friend for many years. He had just stepped up to support and guided the son of his best friend. Brad at first had been grateful to the Darby family for taking him in and watching over him and his older sister, but long ago he had come to love the Darby Family as his own. He was never an outsider or an add-on he was a son and brother to all the Darby's.

Brad stepped away and went to Carolyn standing bedside looking down on her sleeping. He bowed his head said a prayer of thanks for the sparing of her life and her quick recovery, then kissed her forehead and turned back to Gabe and AJ. Looking at his watch, then glancing at the two he said: “Gabe we got to get moving if we are going to grab a bite to eat, I go on shift in an hour and a half.”

With a gentle smile, AJ shooed them out the door and told Gabe he would see him at home.

Gabe sat across the table from Brad in the German House, a small family restaurant in Indian Creek. They both ordered the house specialty Schnitzel with the works, red cabbage and Spaetzle and gravy. Brad smiled at Gabe.

“So you still with ah… Darla? Yeah, that’s her name.” he said with a questioning look.

“No, I'm not” Gabe replied, “and it's not a lovely story, I can say that I'm lucky not to have been outed on 60 Minutes if she had had her way.”

Gabe gave Brad a wry smile, trying to make light of an atrocious ending to a long relationship.

“Oh, I see,” said Brad staring into the mug of coffee in front of him.

“I'm truly sorry for you; I never wish ill will on anyone. I can see your hurt and afraid, anything I can do? He continued.

“No, no... well is just be my friend and brother like you always have been that will help a lot” said Gabe, eyes tearing a little.

Brad's heart ached for Gabe, he wanted to get up, sit beside his brother, friend, lover. Hold him and let him cry it out, but he knew he couldn't, not with the way society viewed male/male relationships. He stretches out his foot and gently laid it along Gabe's ankle while looking at Gabe with as much care and concern he could.

“So how long are you home for and what are your plans? Brad asked. “I’m home till Thursday evening, then I fly back, I have an important meeting on Friday, and I need to meet with my assistant and set things up for next week so I can return home for another four days. As for what I'm going to do while I'm here, I’m going house and car hunting and spending lot of time with Mom and Dad and my sisters.” Gabe answered with a gentle smile while looking directly into the warm, comforting eyes of Brad.

Their dinner came, and they chatted and caught up on small events in each of their lives. At the end of an hour, Brad grabbed the check and paid the waitress. “Listen, I’ve gotta go, my shift starts in twenty minutes, and I have to be on the road and on the air in my patrol area by then.” Said Brad, standing by the register counter. He continued “I get off at 7:00 am let me grab four-five hours of sleep, and then I’ll meet you for lunch and then we will go house hunting. I'm off on Monday and Tuesday nights this week and work thirds Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, then I go back to day shifts next week starting on Thursday.” he started out the door “I 'll pick you up at Mom and Pops at 12:30 or one o'clock… See you then Gabe!”

Gabe stood and watched as Brad trotted off toward his patrol car. Gabe shivered and stepped out the door so no other patrons could see the hard-on in his jeans he got from watching Brad's ass. Gabe walked to his car adjusting his hardening cock as he walked. Gabe drove home thinking it would be a night he would use memories of Brad and him to help get rid of his stiffy.

p>I hope you enjoyed this first installment please send your comments and Constructive criticism to 6819zulu@gmail.com

 

Thanks

Copyright © 2016 6819zulu; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Your story will look more professional if you have someone proofread it and correct the spelling and grammatical errors. It may not seem important to you, but it does make a difference.

Link to comment
On 09/27/2016 08:22 AM, croyde said:

A good start, enjoyed the build up so far let's see how it goes next.

Thanks Croyde i'm working on the next chapter now hope to be done by this weekend. thanks again

Link to comment
On 09/27/2016 08:19 AM, droughtquake said:

Your story will look more professional if you have someone proofread it and correct the spelling and grammatical errors. It may not seem important to you, but it does make a difference.

Thanks for the advice, I have since found an editor and the chapter will be updated and re-posted to offer a better look.

thanks againI hope you will keep reading

Ted

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Guys please take another look. This story has a great future. I'm now working with Zulu and I think he has great story to tell. Thanks again for any feedback. Good or Bad .. I know myself and Zulu can learn from our mistakes.

 

Thanks to CIA for helping us.

 

Rick

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..