Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 2,014 Words
  • 556 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Room with a View (of the Brooklyn Navy Yard) - 3. iii. Making History at a book launch

.

iii.

Making History

at a book launch

 

 

Much hard work having gone into building up Patrick’s new ‘authentic’ self, an appreciative Kingston approved favorably of the outward change in the young man’s appearance.

Although far too late, gentles all, to include any author pictures with the press announcement package, Random, Reed and Sales had scheduled a HUGE – their word – book launch.

So, three weeks after Patrick Forsa’s swagger tutorials began, event day arrives to find an auditorium packed with those most likely to buy and rave about the fledgling writer’s adult-only efforts.

Kingston and Gerhard have pulled out all the stops and arranged for “just the right kind” of hardliners headliners to open the premiere party.

Paula Deen’s come out of forced retirement to do canapés – deep-fried butter pats on non-Vegan pork rind cracklins. M&M’s slated to rap out his oldies-but-goodies about murdering every Gay man in sight, replete with his sniggering, meaningless disclaimer: “Just playin’, ya’ll.”

Norm MacDonald had been scheduled to do his stand-up routine where he calls Chris Kattan a f*gg*t again – his classic laugh-getter – but he did the world a favor instead and croaked.

The powers that be at Random, Reed and Sales scrambled to see if Chevy Chase wouldn’t stop by and do the same to Terry Sweeney – just like the old days – but he bailed last minute. Seems he’d been advised by Matt Damon that the quote-un-quote “F-slur” was so 2020, and the Ill-Will Hunting actor had just himself stopped using it.

So now, as the drone of hate-rap filters back to them, Ted Rector watches Patrick soundlessly wringing his hands. He’d spent enough time with the young Brazilian American to know the kid’s silences were uncharacteristic. Ted can also suspect he knows part of it relates to tensions being high, what with the “There’s a lot of money at stake!” men in the greenroom with them, waiting to go on.

Unknowingly to Ted, his own brooding-hen instructions to Forsa have not made things easier today: “Remember to hold your head erect, like this”; “Nod with a tongue-click to show your disinterest”; “Smirk like this, not like you want to smirk, but like you can’t be bothered feeling one way or the other about anything”; “And no hand to your nose – you don’t wear glasses anymore!”

None of this had relaxed the novelist, and now Ted feels it. Angry, he snaps at the suits, “Why’d you schedule all these homophobic racists to do ‘the entertainment’?”

Marshall quickly coughs up, “Paula Deen just hates the Blacks, not the Browns—”

The lawyer clears his throat. “Allow me.”

Marshall slinks off moodily. He’s still sore he lost the battle to rename Forsa’s book. For, in the end, Patrick got to keep his self-chosen title, although Kingston would still switch it in a heartbeat to his best alternative: “All About Steve.”

Bray J. Gerhard goes over and peers down on Ted and Patrick sitting in lounge chairs side by side.

He addresses them as if infants. “Publicity, my fine— Well, lesson one in the publishing world: accentuate the negative. You want to launch a book on old fashioned gardening, get the Social ragers riled up by featuring pro-Big-Agra people, the weed-poison people, the build-more-golf-courses elites – right there, at the very first reading. Conflict sells, man; conflict outsells harmony ten to one in this country nowadays. Ten to one!”

Patrick lets slip a soft but exquisitely well-heard, “Yeah, the Gops have taught us that.”

Ted laughs, delighted. He slaps the young author’s back. “Good one, buddy!”

When Patrick does not respond favorably, and the necktie men only look pissed, Ted tells them, “Hey, guys, our young Salacious Sylvester here is about to do something scary as shit. So why don’t you two give us a min, okay?”

Suddenly, Bray and Marshall – glancing at their ‘investment’ sitting there mangling his digits – get it. Chatting about business, the pair move off to loiter by the greenroom’s refreshment table. They continue to talk as Ted places a reassuring arm across Patrick’s Armani-clad shoulders.

Finally, the author holds the other man’s gaze.

Gentle as a psych nurse, the actor inquires, “What’s going on in there, Patricio? You all right?”

“I can’t”—Patrick croaks, starting again—“I cant. I just can’t.”

“Can’t what, Puma?”

Forsa’s eyes become round. “Go out there. Do this.” He flicks his lapels. “Pretend to be—”

“Hey, now, whoa. It’s just nerves got ya. Everybody gets ‘em before public speaking engagements. It’s okay; natural, and all. But you can’t let it stop ya, ya know.”

Over the underbelly whine of em&em’s hateful ‘music,’ the corporate types’ words drift in to fill the void of silence left by Patrick staring at his fingers. Terms like “too big for their britches,” and “I know; I know” intrude.

“Look, Patrick.” Ted places his right hand on the kid’s thigh. “You can do this. In fact, you got this! I know it. Spending time together like we have, believe me – in a fight, I want you on my side.”

Suddenly, Bray J. Gerhard’s words become painfully clear and offensive from the other side of the room.

 

“How I pine for the 1990s,” the lawyer opines. “A time when these queers weren’t so over-represented in the media, in cartoons, in romcoms, in the news, speared all over the Interwebs – in libraries.”

 

“And on beer cans—” interjects Kingston.

 

“Exactly. What we need – as a nation – is to dial it back down again; rescind a few rights and privileges; burn a few million books; head backwards to a time when TV’s Murphy Brown could never come out. Back to the golden age when Congress’ sacred right to discriminate against any minority group they choose, and do it with a simple 50% plus one vote, could not be impinged upon. To the days of the Defenseless Marriage Act. To our proud heritage of Don’t Ask While We Do Tell disrespectful discharges for our troops . . . . ”

 

 

The suave actor suddenly changes tactics to loosen Patrick up. “Don’t look now,” he says grinning, “but Gerhard is outing himself as a closet Donald J. Dump voter.”

Patrick smiles. “Living in New York, he’d have to keep his dark secret in a dirty little walk-in.”

“Yup.” Ted loves seeing Puma being more himself. When he’s like this, his eyes sparkle to match the citrine-set pink gold bands in his ears. He goads the author on in good humor. “Bray and his nasty electoral ‘preference’.”

“At this point, I’m sick of them shoving their disgusting lifestyle votes down our throats. Down the throats of us decent, hard-working, tax-paying folks in the majority.”

Patrick’s sitting more upright now, and Ted feels relief – this thing might go off without a hitch after all. “Too true, little Cougar. Too true.”

Wild cheering erupts from out in the auditorium as the ‘musician’ finishes up his “kill all the [f-words]” crap rap.

A knock on the door precedes a headset-wearing head poking itself in. “Five minutes. Five minutes, Mr. Kingston. You’re up next to introduce our speaker.”

The head disappears again as the door closes.

Patrick rises to his feet like a somnambulist zombie about to take his first step towards a brain sandwich. He’s pasty as Paula’s canapés.

“I can’t,” he says.

The suits rush up to him, chorusing: “WHAT!”

“Naaa – no! I’m not. Noooo—”

“Rector,” Kingston growls, “what are you getting paid for—”

“Patrick,” reassures Ted, “remember, you got this.”

“No, I don’t. And I’m not going out there like this.” Again he flicks his clothes. “I’m not fake, goddammit.”

“Rector!” Gerhard shouts.

“You do it.”

The three men do a triple take on the words Patrick Forsa had just uttered so matter-of-factly.

“You do it,” he repeats, looking at Ted.

“Do what?”

“Be me. Go out there as me. You’re camera-ready just as you are. You’ve got confidence for days. You can pull this off.”

“But—”

Ted’s slow-motion protest gets cut short.

“He’s right,” the publisher exclaims, already pulling the guy towards the door.

“But – I can’t pretend to be an author,” he says as if very distasteful to him.

“Why not?” Gerhard adds his two cents. “You’re an actor and a stud, so who better?”

The shyster had a point there . . . .

In a flurry of motion and blurry sights, Ted’s led out of the room, across the backstage area as a faceless lackey brushes the Armani jacket Patrick had given him off his back to wear.

More blurry sights and sensations follow as Marshall leads Ted out into the bright lights of the stage. He’s vaguely aware of Bray and Patrick following and standing by his side, but behind him.

Kingston goes up to the podium, intros himself, tells a lame joke with a homophobic punchline, and then announces, “So here he is, our next mammoth discovery at Random, Reed and Sales – Patrick Forsa.”

In the exchange of applause and Ted’s position up to the lectern, Marshall says, “The author will now read an excerpt from his salacious premiere novel, Where Rascals Fear to Tread.”

Left alone, Ted finds the book already open on the stand like a bible. The section to read from Patrick’s work is marked with an arrow post-it, so, clearing his throat, silencing his own nerves, Ted launches into it.

Needing to stop and adjust his crotch collar after about the third line, the actor remembers to ‘fuck the blush’ and put some vavavavoom in his reading. This is helped by the fact that Rector sees a fair portion of Queer “Book Club Hotties” in the audience and takes heart. They’re instantly recognizable by their skin-tight polo shirts and camouflage capri cargo pants.

Once the stunned silence of the assembled gets replaced with open mouths and gasps for air, Ted knows he’s on the right track.

Word after word flows in the force of Forsa’s utter brilliance as a master erotitician, and a small part of Ted realizes he’s becoming part of history; the genius of Patrick’s smut will be admired – and made use of – for centuries to come.

As the scene he’s reading builds to its climax, he can feel the audience as a body lean in towards him, so he scoops up the book and starts pacing the front of the stage.

His words dare the collected assemblage of horned-up folks to think about anything other than the glories of sex between men – and even Paula Deen and Em&Em – two bastions of straight is mighty right mindsets – emerge back on stage to clasp arms in total shocked arousal, as if two Amish sisters in Times Square.

And then . . . . Patrick’s gloriously connected orgasm washes over the crowd with the crest of a cosmic tide.

It’s over.

Patrick – that is, Ted pretending to be Patrick – closes Where Rascals Fear to Tread and walks back to the lectern.

As if released from a log jam, a collective roar suddenly bursts forth.

It hits Ted like a shockwave.

The audience surges forward, and again, as if one body, wants to get their hands on the mastermind who seemingly conjured such celestial porn from the thin air of stardust.

A few women begin scrambling up the black scrim of the stage front. Their lips are red and swollen with words like “Do me next,” and “Shit, I love the GAYS!”

An instant later, all hell breaks loose, and even Paula and eM&eM can be seen throwing themselves at Rector’s feet, latching onto one of his lower legs for dear life. They refuse to slacken their grip even after security arrives to drag the Random, Reed and Sales party off to a safe-room vault in the basement.

So, Patrick’s book is launched. And, yes, history, gentle audience, has been made.

 

 

 

 

_

 

 

 

Copyright © 2023 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Haha 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love it

 

Patrick backs off and cannot be the fake he was molded into being

 

His well paid mentor is pushed up and out to portay him to the public at the book release

 

The crowd goes wild hearing his erotica bring read by the imposter and surges for him in joy

 

Success--Now What?

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

Love it

 

Patrick backs off and cannot be the fake he was molded into being

 

His well paid mentor is pushed up and out to portray him to the public at the book release

 

The crowd goes wild hearing his erotica being read by the imposter and surges for him in joy

 

Success--Now What?

That is an excellent question, akascrubber! How long will, or can, the reversed roles play themselves out? Fake it till you break make it!

Thanks for reading and commenting. I think you're enjoying the ride

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

I sense a new audio-book reader being born!  Ted!

Thanks, ReaderPaul. That's a whole marketshare I hadn't even thought about! Soon American truckers will be listening to Ted's suave voice relaying transcendental Gay smut as they truck on down the avenue. It will be interesting to know if pile-ups increase or decrease on the Nation's roads due to Rascals 🤣

Thanks again   

  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

BTW, the concept that the writer of a stunning book is a fake who fits the preconceived image has been a useful plot device at least from a Hallmark murder story--pg only- to Murder She Wrote to a movie called American Dreamer. In the last example, it turns out the famous well published romance writer was not an elegant older lady, but reallly her younger son . In all cases the real writer gets  found out. It will be fascinating to see what happens when the roles of Ted and Patrick are correctly revealed. Will they have changed in the meantime?

Edited by akascrubber
  • Love 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, akascrubber said:

BTW, the concept that the writer of a stunning book is a fake who fits the preconceived image has been a useful plot device atb least from a Hallmark murder story--pg only- to Murder She Wrote to a movie called American Dreamer. In the last example, it turns out the famous well published romance writer was not an elegant older lady, but really her younger son . In all cases the real writer gets  found out. It will be fascinating to see what happens when the roles of Ted and Patrick are correctly revealed. Will they have changed in the meantime?

The concept has also been used in at least three books of which I am aware.  In that case, a gay man wrote steamy M/F romance novels, and for book signings, his secretary posed as "the 'female' author" when needed for book signings, promo events, etc.  The real author lived in Atlanta, Georgia, with his partner, but handled the money end of things through a Boston, Massachusetts, law firm.  The premise held up well.

Ted could easily pretend to be Patrick for quite some time.  If a reader asks "Patrick" a question about a scene that Ted is not sure about, he could say, "I'll have to consult my notes to see what I had in mind with that for sure."

Loved this section from this chapter:

“You do it.”
The three men do a triple take on the words Patrick Forsa had just uttered so matter-of-factly.
“You do it,” he repeats, looking at Ted.
“Do what?”
“Be me.  Go out there as me.  You’re camera-ready just as you are.  You’ve got confidence for days.  You can pull this off.”
“But—”
Ted’s slow-motion protest gets cut short.
“He’s right,” the publisher exclaims, already pulling the guy towards the door.
“But – I can’t pretend to be an author,” he says as if very distasteful to him.
“Why not?” Gerhard adds his two cents.  “You’re an actor and a stud, so who better?”
The shyster had a point there . . . .

@AC Benus -- instant classic section!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/16/2023 at 5:26 AM, akascrubber said:

BTW, the concept that the writer of a stunning book is a fake who fits the preconceived image has been a useful plot device at least from a Hallmark murder story--pg only- to Murder She Wrote to a movie called American Dreamer. In the last example, it turns out the famous well published romance writer was not an elegant older lady, but really her younger son . In all cases the real writer gets  found out. It will be fascinating to see what happens when the roles of Ted and Patrick are correctly revealed. Will they have changed in the meantime?

*feigns indignity* Well, I am shocked. :rofl: *hands on hips akimbo*

Are you suggestion this work – whose very title is derivative of an E. M. Forster book – about an erotic book – the title of which is derivative of another E. M. Forster novel – and whose content boasts all manner of cockeyed references to plays, movies and singers is somehow derivative?! And this, the third in a series of Irreverent Tales where the premiere yarn is a rip-off spin-off of Franza Kafka and Robert Louis Stevenson concepts, AND the second of which is a blatant send-up of It’s a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol – I suppose next you’ll be saying the whole series is some sort of derivative drivel :read: [and you may be right! lol].     

The very idea of it – humph, or as Catherine Tate would say, “How very dare you.” And as much as the thought of Angela Lansbury playing a dildo-wielding ersatz Lesbian writer on film appeals to me personally, I have to say A Room with a View (of the Brooklyn Navy Yard) will have no such nonsense, thank you very much. 🤣

*sighs a breath of relief!* But at least you did not name that actual source that inspired me to write this Tale. That info will be forthcoming as a note at the end ;) And for that, I thank you

 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2023 at 11:43 AM, ReaderPaul said:

The concept has also been used in at least three books of which I am aware.  In that case, a Gay man wrote steamy M/F romance novels, and for book signings, his secretary posed as "the 'female' author" when needed for book signings, promo events, etc.  The real author lived in Atlanta, Georgia, with his partner, but handled the money end of things through a Boston, Massachusetts, law firm.  The premise held up well.

Ted could easily pretend to be Patrick for quite some time.  If a reader asks "Patrick" a question about a scene that Ted is not sure about, he could say, "I'll have to consult my notes to see what I had in mind with that for sure."

Loved this section from this chapter:

“You do it.”
The three men do a triple take on the words Patrick Forsa had just uttered so matter-of-factly.
“You do it,” he repeats, looking at Ted.
“Do what?”
“Be me.  Go out there as me.  You’re camera-ready just as you are.  You’ve got confidence for days.  You can pull this off.”
“But—”
Ted’s slow-motion protest gets cut short.
“He’s right,” the publisher exclaims, already pulling the guy towards the door.
“But – I can’t pretend to be an author,” he says as if very distasteful to him.
“Why not?” Gerhard adds his two cents.  “You’re an actor and a stud, so who better?”
The shyster had a point there . . . .

@AC Benus -- instant classic section!

That’s quite a twist, ReaderPaul – a Queer fellow penning ‘man/woman romance’ novels! We are so used to it convoluted the other way round ;) And if you know what I mean, for God's sake don’t say it out loud! lol – at least not on this site . . . .  :rofl:

As for your praise, I’ll take it! Gladly. There are parts of this work – usually moments of dialogue – that will come back to me at random times during the day to make me cackle like a fool in delight. The “actor and a stud” line is one such :2thumbs:

Another gem from this chapter – which I’m surprised no one has yet singled out for glory or damnation – is: “Paula Deen just hates the Blacks, not the Browns—” [Oh, I’m so wicked, lol 😈 ]

As for how the book and our new team of two will fare in the public market sphere, please stay tuned. The next installment will have more wry information to convey :thumbup:

 

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/15/2023 at 2:26 PM, Parker Owens said:

I loved the book launch, and loved Patrick all the more for insisting on being true to himself. Then again, I had to laugh at your skewering of Kingston and Bray, and by extension, all of their corporate compatriots. I used a laugh icon, but could just as easily used love’s heart instead. Hooray for Patrick and Rascals

Thank you, Parker, for all of your help during the creation of this Irreverent Tale. The inspiration hit me all of a sudden, which surprised me, because I have been mulling over another concept for a different Irrelevant Irreverent Tale for the longest of times. 

I'm pleased to say that story's pieces are finally falling into some sort of semblance. Soon there may be a fourth sibling to nestle down with the existing three :yes: Thanks again

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..