Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 941 Words
  • 558 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Escaping Kherson, a novella - 7. Day Seven

.

Day Seven

30 October 2022 pik

 

In writings and dramatizations of war, and of the people who must endure them firsthand, many are the eyewitnesses with a literary bent able to illuminate the inner turmoil of the victims. One famous author was a young soldier trapped in the ruthless invaders’ stranglehold bombardment of Sevastopol’. What he wrote is enough to make the flesh crawl, for man’s inhumanity to man gets reborn – or, reasserted – in those springtimes when young men die in fields of ‘honor’ at the orders of disgraceful old men sitting on cushions in the lap of capital-city luxury, far from any plain strewn with the death they wielded as lightly as a teacup.

But those in the fray who are commanded directly to inflict the scythe-cuts of starvation, slaughter, mayhem and chaos – and those in and out of uniform who are designated to receive them for arbitrary attributes like nationality or race or language or prayer or whom they love – know the old maxim holds true. As deadly as wars are, it's the start and end of them that prove the most dangerous to survive.

Oftentimes, an innocent to the combat simply cannot move out of the way quick enough.

For Denys and Theo, midmorning of the seventh day after the reporter encountered the teenboy rooting through a ransacked convenience store, shone in the splendor of liberation all around the military truck rumbling on the road for Mykolayiv.

In the back, the pair sit on the floor, side by side, letting slow degrees of relief wash over them.

However, there was work to do first. Denys holds his phone out as far as he can with his left hand. His right is hugging Theo close to him as he begins his update.

“Greetings, all, from the road to freedom. It’s – I don’t even know what day of the war . . . but, Theo and I are liberated.

“We made it across the frontlines and are headed to safer, Ukrainian, territory.”

He glances at the boy.

“We can’t properly express how it feels, because it’s like starting a new day, or week, or even a new year in a time you never imagined you’d live long enough to see. At least, for me that’s the case.

“However, for Theo here, he saw things more pragmatically. He also envisioned a future for Kherson I’ve ignored – in my shit blindness – and there’s nothing I would like better than reading some of the young man’s words for you.”

Theo nods and hands over the pre-selected passage, which has been flipped to the top on its notepad.

Denys holds it and reads:

 

“Today, as I wandered alone on this beautiful summer’s afternoon, seeing the image of Rudi on all that is colorful and free, I thought a startling thing. What if Kherson is all right?

“What if the park I was walking through is someday filled with families once more? What if the carousels start their roundabout motions again? What if children’s laughter floats as high as warm currents of air, up to the clouds and beyond, to buoy the spirits of their martyred parents?

“What if Kherson is all right? Liberated with the Russians forced to pull back to a position from which they cannot harm the city’s population anymore?

“Yes. Then imagine – people will flood the streets with blue and gold banners. Grandmothers will weep to see their uniformed grandsons in Ukrainian colors stride up to their gates. Crowds will throng the first vehicles rolling into the public squares, and in the best of national traditions, they will bring the flowers of joy to bestow upon their brows; they will bring loaves of bread to sustain their bodies in wholesome, homegrown nutrition; and they will bring salt to enliven each heart and give it relish in the simple joy of having life.

“Yes, I thought to myself, what if Kherson is all right?

“So from this day forward, with Rudi’s blessings from above, I will live like this vision is to be reality. Freedom will return.”

 

Denys, quite emotional now, hands the writing back to its author.

He focuses on the livestream.

“What do you think, dear viewers? Are you like me and hope Theo’s vision comes to pass? As always, I invite you to leave your thoughts and comments down below.

“Theo and Zhdan signing off . . . until, tomorrow.”

The man draws his phone back to him and ends the stream. Holding his boy’s beautifully clear baby-blues, Denys tells him, “We did it, rabbit. We made it out alive.”

At last the full weight of relief settles on them both, slumping their shoulders as they slide farther along the floor, the boy’s head cradled on the man’s arm.

Yes, they had made it out indeed. Although it was with nothing but the clothes on their backs, Theo’s notebooks, and their cellphones, they wanted for nothing more. Theirs was to be a day of rest.

Pulling out his phone once more, Denys nearly apologizes as he says, “I have to make one more call, little star.”

The boy nods, and Denys holds the device up again to capture both of them. His videocall is ringing.

Picture and sound arrive. “Hello?”

“It’s me, Mom, Denys. I’m out of Kherson, and on the safe side—”

He has to wait. The screen image goes to a blur while happy, inarticulate squealing erupts from the other end.

“Listen, Mom,” Denys says gently, “I’m coming home. And, I’m bringing a friend.”

 

~

 

 

_

 

 

 

Copyright © 2023 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you for giving the story of Denys and Theo's life, truly a remarkable effort and greatly appreciated!

Edited by drsawzall
  • Love 5
Link to comment

I"m going to need time to fully take in this story and digest it properly.  It will stay with me for a while.  Thank you for sharing this with us. I wonder if Denys and Theo will share more of their story?

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
22 hours ago, raven1 said:

Sweet message of love and hope for Kherson.  A great way to end this beautiful tale of courage and love.

Thank you, Terry, for reading my little novella. Theo and Denys came to me in a series of dreams, so I knew I had to tell their tale.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

This short chapter makes my heart rise in hope. It make me smile through tears for Denys and Theo. Like the very best kind of writing, it gives me a bright lens through which to look at the future. Thank you for this story. 

Thank you, Parker. Someone once remarked how all of my story endings are actually new beginnings. I had never thought of it that way, and still don't; yet I always want to take the reader to a point where there's a resolution. And, as you point out, hope :)

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Thank you for giving the story of Denys and Theo's life, truly a remarkable effort and greatly appreciated!

Thank you, drsawzall, for your kind and consistent support. I hope you find this piece as satisfying as Carême in Brighton, albeit at a much humbler scale

  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, belisima said:

I"m going to need time to fully take in this story and digest it properly.  It will stay with me for a while.  Thank you for sharing this with us. I wonder if Denys and Theo will share more of their story?

Thank you, belisima! I try to craft storytelling to reward multiple readings. Perhaps after a while, you might find re-reading Escaping Kherson as enjoyable as the first time. That's the working theory, at least :yes:

  • Love 2
Link to comment

It was a good story which could have been further developed. The emphasis was given to Denys and Theo's relationship which was beautiful, but I didn't feel a need for the detailed sex which overpowered the story somewhat. The writing and descriptions were excellent and finely crafted. This is my review and despite my reservations I would still give it five stars. Unfortunately, the reviews are not open to post!

Edited by Luca E
  • Like 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Luca E said:

It was a good story which could have been further developed. The emphasis was given to Denys and Theo's relationship which was beautiful, but I didn't feel a need for the detailed sex which overpowered the story somewhat. The writing and descriptions were excellent and finely crafted. This is my review and despite my reservations I would still give it five stars. Unfortunately, the reviews are not open to post!

Thanks for giving the novella a try. Perhaps later -- in several years, I mean -- a second reading will reward your efforts in better ways than now. Who knows?

Thanks again

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..