Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 3,684 Words
  • 739 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

TYPEE - In the Valley of the Shadow of Death - A Filmscript - 6. Appendix 2 - Script Notes

.

Typee Appendices

 

The updateable nature of the internet means some material documented here may have been moved or deleted. If so, copy the name of the content & content-creator and search online. Alternates will most likely be easy to find.

Typee Script Notes

 

1) Time Setting: April to August, 1842.

2) Character and Costume Notes:

 

On the Dolly

 

JIM: A New Englander; early-40s. A haggard and careless dresser, Jim is the kind of sailor who will take a mentoring position with a young sailor he feels is properly respectful to his authority. He likes Redburn because he is bright and well-mannered; he keeps his distance because Toby is not so well-controlled. He would fancy Redburn if Toby was not in the picture. He knows Redburn is prone to rash decisions, and tries to dissuade – he admires that Toby does the same.

 

TOBY: Born and raised in New York City; 24 years old. Toby is the type of self-contained person others must pursue to form a friendship with. Once the outer shell is penetrated, and an honest relationship is exchanged, he will fight tooth and nail against all odds to hold that friendship. Lacking in patience, his dealings with the world often seem to have a ‘chip on their shoulder,’ but when comfortable with someone, his wicked and witty sense of humor endears all close to him. Redburn is the love of his life; he never imagined he could fall for someone so completely. Married in mind, he cannot picture a day of the future not spent with Redburn. The sea is both escape and retreat for them to build a life together. Part of the reason the other sailors “quail before this stripling” is because of his physical beauty. He is lithe and jocular in the extreme, but also handsome in face, with fine dark curls and placid blue eyes that melt all hearts set against him. [4]

 

CLOTHES: On the Dolly, he is meticulous and trim, and he makes sure Redburn and his wardrobes are ship-shape. He learned this fastidiousness from his first sea protector who did the same for him when he was sixteen. He takes pride in his appearance, and in the appearance of his mate, and looks down on his shipmates who are more slovenly inclined. He likes colorful and youthful sailor attire: striped French and Russian style shirts; indigo jerseys; duck trousers; colorful scarves and bandanas; and various brimmed hats with bright-colored ribbons trailing down. On the island, he quickly dumps the wool and goes native with two additions – his belt so he can have his jackknife handy, and his hat to keep the sun off his face.

 

REDBURN: (aka Tommo) From the Hudson River Valley; 23 years old. Redburn loves Toby as he loves himself. Like two hands fitted together, their love-at-first-sight was a perfect match. So much alike, yet tempered to bolster the weak spots of the other, neither can see a day in the future when they are apart. Life on ship offered that ‘place apart’ where two men could build a life together, and neither expected to stumble into a land where they and their love is not only recognized, but seen as ideal because of its purity. As a poet, Redburn idolizes Faaua as the personification of beauty itself. He abstracts her into all that is good and kind locked with the human spirit. He loves her with a tenderness that speaks of his love of the force of life; or put another way, of his love for himself. His natural lack of a physical attraction to her aids him in rendering her in an objectified context, but via the trauma of losing his partner, he begins to sense the intensity of her feelings towards him. If conditions were right, he could imagine a life with Faaua and Kori-Kori, but their love for him is not enough to compensate for a lack of love from Redburn. He is confused. All he knows for sure is that he must find Toby. He has longish brunette hair which he sometimes wears tied back.

 

CLOTHES: On the Dolly and island alike, he wears what Toby wears. On the island, he too goes native with two additions – his belt so he can have his jackknife handy, and his hat to keep the sun off his face.

 

KARAKOI’I: Hawaiian from Oahu; late-20s. The harbor pilot and diplomat between the French and visitors to Nuku Hiva, he is suave, adept at reading people and situations, and quick to pick up cultural signals – like the French habit of bowing, and the American wink. He has many admirers to pick and choose from; a situation he is used to from years of sailing. He is suffused with a Polynesian joie de vivre which angers Jim’s naturally pessimistic nature when they clash. The love between Redburn and Toby, which he is quick to pick up on, reinforces his belief in the solidity of ‘his kind.’ He has long hair worn up and goes about hatless.

 

CLOTHES: His most distinctive article of clothing is a grand hunting jacket given to him by an officer of la Reine Blanche. He wears this green coat with pride, knowing most others know who gave it to him, and thus to whom Karakoi’i is romantically attached. Under it he wears tidy sailor trousers and tee-shirts open at the neck to proudly display a shark tooth pendant on a string of chunky coral beads.

 

Chiefs and Priests of Taipivai

 

MEHEVI: Son of a chief who rose to preeminence through merit; mid-30s. A man’s man, Mehevi jumps into situations with both feet. Having grown up in a courtly life, he manipulates courtiers masterfully, but only for benevolent goals. He is deeply conflicted concerning the French. Part of him wants to act rashly and strike the first blow. But mostly he believes, or wants to believe, that French interest will always remain remote from Taipivai. Pending further information, his wait-and-see policy is a sage one. He is Redburn’s “beau ideal warrior” as dreamed about on board the Dolly, but Redburn never could have imagined a man so accomplished in both war and politics; a native Washington for his people. His profound instincts tell him Toby and Redburn are harmless, then he grows to like both of them, and finally to respect them as a devoted couple. He has a young wife and husband who come to him after the battle with the Happar. [5]

 

CLOTHES: He wears everyday clothes: kilts, tastefully decorated mantles, and subtle earrings. His state raiment are the same form, but rich in color and scope. During these occasions, he wears commanding earrings, heavy pendants and headdresses of colorful bird feathers.

 

MOW-MOW: Son of a chief who grew up in the shadow of a commander in ‘George W. Bush’ type insecurity and curt behavior; 45 years old. He feels self-important and somehow placed on Earth to fulfill a mission. Ineffectual at leadership, his mature years have been an exercise in frustration and internalized anger at his failures. He looks upon the appearance of the French as a ‘godsend.’ His mission, as one divinely self-appointed, will be carried out come hell or the extermination for his people. He wants to be remembered, and he doesn’t care how. He is shorter than Mehevi, completely bald, a tad overweight, and lost an eye in a battle twenty years ago.

 

CLOTHES: He wears his kilts a bit too high in a vain effort to cover his noticeably flabby midriff. He too has special-occasion attire, but looks awkward in it; like someone with no style or self-confidence overcompensating with frills and gewgaws.

 

KOLORI: Pious son of a priest with a deep abiding faith; mid-50s. He does not regard the world as a changeable place, thus he is unable to see the French as much of a threat. He is swayable when it comes to matters of true catechism being diminished by outsiders. Mow-Mow finally hits upon this and is able to swing Kolori over to his antagonistic approach towards the French. Theirs is not a hands-off religion: the gods are present on a continual basis; the purpose of religious practice is to tap into this current and bring its existence forward to the minds trapped in outward consciousness. Thus Manu Atu, treated like a plaything, is deadly serious.

 

CLOTHES: The color of priesthood is red. He wears kilts and mantles of this color every day.

 

MARNU: Youngest son of a Nuku Hiva Chief; 25 years old. According to Melville, he is a Polynesian Apollo, or put another way, a nature boy of the most intense self-possession, charm and manly calm. Tall, well-built, jocular, and an all-around jolly fellow, he travels freely throughout the island collecting and dispersing news. His sacred taboo status means he can be everybody’s friend; enemy to none. He has longish hair with a soft curl to it.

 

CLOTHES: He wears kilts and bold pieces of jewelry.

 

Maheyo’s Household

 

RUNU: Senior head of the house, retired; 60 years old. In typical Polynesian tradition, he married a young couple some 25 years ago, and together they raised a houseful of wonderful children. Several years ago he passed the day-to-day management of the household to his husband Maheyo. Now, he basks in the comfort of hearth and family. When young, he was dashing and brave. The three trophy heads in the rafters are due to his youthful prowess. Jim’s tale on how the strawberry blond came to reside above Redburn’s head is accurate.

 

CLOTHES: He wears the typical kilt and mantle of his age and status when he leaves the house, which is not very often.

 

MAHEYO: Husband to Runu and Tinor; 46 years old. Tall, virile and well-built, he is a father figure to Redburn. A bit of an eccentric, caught in the middle of not liking to spend too much time with his grown children, and not yet having grandchildren to dote over, he likes to be out of the house. He spends time in his ‘tool shed,’ or visiting friends in the afternoon. He is extremely pleased with his children and looks on Toby and Redburn as sons. He is proud to see the Americans’ commitment to each other, and naturally thinks they need an unassailable woman to allow them to have their own home and children, but Maheyo will let Tinor do the matchmaking. He has a pair of commanding earrings which he wears only when visiting others. Since he is in and out all day, the earrings are constantly coming on and off. He has a penchant for bathing in the still of midnight; just he and Tinor. He plucks his beard hairs with a pair of mussel shell tweezers; smokes in the top of a nearby coconut tree; and keeps the matrimonial fires kindled with discreet nocturnal hand-jobs for his mate. Tinor and he make love on the flat rocks by the stream at midnight.

 

CLOTHES: He dresses unceremoniously, except for his ‘going out’ earrings, which are made from whale teeth. He wears kilts and goes about without any shoulder coverings or headgear.

 

TINOR: Wife to Runu and Maheyo; 43 years old. A kindly mother figure to both Toby and Redburn, she is a formidable woman. Most of her tireless day is spent directing the other women of the house in food preparations, tapa making, et al. She prefers to pound the poi herself, as the girls are too namby pamby about really smashing it. She is suitably overjoyed and distracted from domestic concerns by the ‘problem’ of finding a good match for Toby and Redburn. When she rouses her boys from their afternoon siestas, she sneaks up and places a treat into each sleeping hand. She knows what each prefers. [6]

 

CLOTHES: Her work clothes are typical: skirt to lower calves, and an outer layer that consists of a pair of long cloths tied attractively at the shoulders, and cinched at the waist with a sash. This outer piece comes down to the knees in front, and to the ankles in back. The sash is in a contrasting color and tied with a big bow at the side on the hip. Tinor only wears jewelry on special occasions. She made outer garments with the calico that Toby and Redburn presented to her for her girls and herself. They wear the calico during the feast of the calabashes, to general envy. In the custom of married women, her long hair is tied up in a bun at the back by means of a headband. This strip of colorful cloth is worn on the forehead and tied at the back around the hair.

 

MARMUNU: Family son; 23 years old. As the second eldest son, he expected the departure of his older brother to his own home would mean his elevation in the household hierarchy. This did not happen due to the presence of Kori-Kori. He is not jealous of the confidence shown to his sister’s boyfriend, mainly because he respects Kori-Kori too much. Nevertheless, he relishes the task of conducting Toby to the Happar frontier to show his mettle as leader. He is youthful, confident, fun loving, and has ambitions of rising to a chief one day. He likes to keep his hair very closely cropped, and later asks Redburn to shave his head for him, mainly because Redburn shaved Toby and Marmunu wants to be closer to him; give him a job to replace the one he lost.

 

CLOTHES: He wears kilts and goes about without any shoulder coverings or headgear.

 

FAAUA: Family daughter; 18 years old. She is an attentive student to her mother’s teaching. She is fully ready to strike out on her own with Kori-Kori and another man. Her mother had her first child at the age of eighteen, and wishes to follow suit. Kori-Kori is an imposing figure who makes her swoon to her very marrow, but feels this quality of his personality may be holding back potential suitors for their hands. With Toby’s disappearance, she grows to love Redburn as an adoptive mother might. She knows he is heartbroken, but she also knows that over the months Kori-Kori has developed a protective affection for his charge, the same kind he has for her. Hope against hope, she witnesses Kori-Kori’s affection blossom into love. With the three of them, the community will rally to build them a home and make sure their married life starts off right. When she lets Redburn go at the end, she is giving up much more than the man she loves; she is giving up a future she had already mapped out. She has pale blue eyes. [7]

 

CLOTHES: She dresses like her mother, only with more youthful flourishes. She lets her long hair flow free, and likes to arrange flowers and foliage as a crown after her morning bath.

 

MUNUNI: Family daughter; 16 years old. She acts the middle child, which she is; reserved, neither daring nor needing attention. She spends much of her time thinking about and caring for Karnunu. She knows he will be great one day, and is proud of him already. She is the type, rare among her people, who wants her man all to herself. A poly marriage has less appeal to her, even though she sees happy examples all around her. If Karnunu keeps pace with out-braving all the other warriors, she knows they will be content in a home just built for two.

 

CLOTHES: She dresses like her mother, only with more youthful flourishes. She lets her long hair flow free, and likes to arrange flowers and foliage as a crown after her morning bath with Faaua.

 

MONU: Family son; 15 years old. The doted-upon youngest, he is let loose to do as he sees fit. More scolded from the young men of the house than his parents, he nevertheless gets away with a great deal. The only thing he takes seriously in life is Ruaruga. They had been close friends from early childhood, and when puberty struck both boys, an abiding love was born and reciprocated. Edging seamlessly from boys to young men, from friends to partners, they while away the time in play and playful attention to each other’s needs. He and Ruaruga are both not quite ready to set childhood aside, except when the other is ready. Though without acknowledgement, Redburn and Toby set the example they want their evolving relationship to mature into. He is accomplished at music, has a fine voice, and relishes his father’s storytelling and prayers. This talent is encouraged, and it will probably be his calling for life. He keeps his curly hair long and boyish.

 

CLOTHES: He wears kilts and never thinks about jewelry or anything to cover his shoulders or head.

 

KARLUNA: Girlfriend to Marmunu; 17 years old. She looks up to Faaua and to the certain seriousness with which that girl goes about life. She’s more of a free spirit and often wonders why Faaua suffers Tinor’s pedantic ways; then she remembers Marmunu. She loves the nature-boy in him, like a learning lad who sometimes needs protection from himself. She too is anxious to be ‘discovered’ and have her and her man swept off their feet. She feels she will be an excellent mother, well-armed with what not to do.

 

CLOTHES: A fashion plate, she has several outfits of the most daring cut and color. She too likes things in her hair, and likes playing master hair-styler to the other young women of the house. She favors chunky coral necklaces and bangles.

 

KORI-KORI: Boyfriend to Faaua; 25 years old. A natural-born leader, he neither studies how to flatter, nor makes enemies with his frankness. People flock to his inner strength, which makes him a bit standoffish. If it were up to him, his life would be one played on the sidelines, but everybody has confidence in him, which propels him on the ‘world stage’ of Taipivai. Mehevi is secretly grooming the young man to be his right hand man and successor. Kori-Kori is aware that he is smarter than most others, but he tries to hide this. He is aware that his physical prowess is greater than most others, so he tries to play down to their levels. With Redburn, the change over from playful affection to committed love is tied up subconsciously to a commitment to stop holding himself back. If fate has put he and Faaua and Redburn together, then Kori-Kori is willing to let fate lead all aspects of his life. As Faaua says, Kori-Kori is slow to commit, but once confidence is given, mountains or seas cannot keep him from honoring and protecting that love. Losing Redburn was like having to lose himself; for him to be the instrument of this loss is like a commitment to doing what’s right no matter the consequences. He is tall, well-built, and in many ways a physical match for Marnu, though contrasting to him in having a taciturn demeanor, in which regard he is like Toby. He has straight hair, which he wears fairly short.

 

CLOTHES: He dresses with no muss, in kilts and without mantles or headgear.

 

KARNUNU: Mununi’s boyfriend; 18 years old. A jovial lad focused on the future, he is courageous, sporty, attentive to his elders, and takes the greatest offence at Monu’s ‘bad boy’ image. He can’t wait to be Kori-Kori’s age, for that age seems a golden time when ‘adults’ take a man seriously because he has had time to prove himself. With Marmunu, Kori-Kori and him in the same house, he knows he is going to the top of local leadership. He is clever but conflicted over which faction to back. Perhaps a pessimistic strain knows Mow-Mow is right, but Mehevi is the type of leader he wishes to be, so he is naturally drawn to Mehevi’s position. He has fairer hair, which is long and wavy.

 

CLOTHES: He dresses in flashy kilts and mantles that make him seem older than he is. His girlfriend, and her fashion-forward drive for being noticed, selects the decorations on his clothes. He often wears something flashy, life feathers, in his hair, and sports a rakish choker of cowrie shells and bone beads.

 

RUARUGA: Monu’s boyfriend; 14 years old. Though a few months younger, he is more mature than Monu, and quickly growing to see himself as a positive influence on his partner’s development. He still likes to horse around, but increasingly feels pangs of guilt creep over him when he sees how focused and intent Mununi and Marmunu are. Though young, he has already stopped thinking in terms of ‘me,’ and shifted effortlessly into only thoughts of ‘we’ in regards to Monu.

 

CLOTHES: Like Monu, he wears plain kilts and the rest, but recently he’s been drawn to the flashy stuff Karnunu is wearing, mainly because it makes him more handsome than he already is. He wants to ask Mununi to start dressing him too, but doesn’t want Monu to harangue him about it. He’s going to get Mununi to start dressing both of them.

 

ARVA: Family dog; 6 years old. Most Polynesian breeds of dogs are considered extinct due to interbreeding with imported European examples. Melville’s reaction to local canines is piquant: “Dogs! – big, hairless rats rather; all with smooth, shining, speckled hides – fat sides, and very disagreeable faces.” (Chapter 28). Hairlessness is a unique feature, and that coupled with small size, leads one to think of Asiatic / Mesoamerican breeds like the Chinese Crested and Tepeizeuintli. The better known Xoloitzcuintli is not a candidate, because these are large dogs and do not qualify for Melville’s “big rat” status. (see the Visual Key for a Marquesas dog drawn in 1844, and looking remarkably like a Chinese Crested.)

 

_

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..