Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 10,163 Words
  • 1,055 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

TYPEE - In the Valley of the Shadow of Death - A Filmscript - 2. Part 2 – Hard Reality Dawns

Down from the mountains the boys hope they've entered the right valley. They struggle to overcome a waterfall, and Redburn faces physical pain. After they have reached their goal, it dawns on them that their hosts care more about politics than anything else. And why shouldn't they? The French are threatening their autonomy, their way of life, and their families. Despite the tensions, and their worries, the boys begin to settle in.

.

[Part 2 – Hard Reality Dawns – I: Morning in the Cave]

INT. CAVE OVERLOOKING THE VALLEY – DAWN

TOBY stands at the entry. Below him stretches a landscape barely coming alive in sunlight. Crimson edges the ridges facing east, and all seems animate with movement from the breeze and running water. Behind Toby, the remains of the fire lightly smoke. REDBURN sleeps close to it, lying on his side, in a near-fetal position. Toby’s hand goes to Redburn’s shoulder and rouses him.

 

TOBY

Awake, brother.

 

Redburn only half opens his eyes at Toby, and frowns. He speaks in a husky voice half-choked in sleep.

 

REDBURN

Awake, mate?

 

He struggles to sit up.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

If I am awake, then my top lights have gone out. It’s darker with my eyes open than shut.

 

TOBY

Nonsense. You’re just not awake yet.

 

Redburn scratches his head, stretches and yawns.

 

REDBURN

You intimate that I’ve been asleep.

 

Toby reaches down with both hands, and Redburn grabs on. Toby hauls him to a standing position.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

It seems you’ve had a steak and egg breakfast – by the mood of you.

 

Toby musses Redburn’s hair.

 

TOBY

Don’t be peevish – child. Up with you!

 

Toby rubs Redburn’s cheeks.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

Let’s away. You plan on dozing through your adventure?

 

Toby spins Redburn, and brushes off his mate’s back, seat of his trousers and legs.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

Where’s your hat...?

 

REDBURN

(mumbles)

Our adventure.

 

Toby gathers their things. He plops Redburn’s hat on Redburn’s head.

 

TOBY

What?

 

REDBURN

(gruffer)

OUR…

(softer)

Adventure – together.

 

Toby stops his busy work. He sighs open-mouthed, and holds Redburn’s eye.

 

TOBY

I’m here, aren’t I?

 

Toby gently forms a fist and brings it to rest on the side of Redburn’s cheek.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

Now. Let’s go.

 

[Part 2 – II: Waterfall and Tree]

EXT. STREAM – MID-MORNING

The sun is burning hot in a cloudless sky. REDBURN and TOBY follow the course of the growing stream cutting through the high canyon. They have to wade in it in places; at other areas, they have to clamber over boulders along its bank.

 

EXT. THICKET – NOON

REDBURN and TOBY follow a low RUMBLE through a maze of six-foot-high swamp grass and reeds. The sound becomes more distinct the farther they go. By the time they break through to a clearing, the ROAR of a waterfall is loud and clear.

 

EXT. WATERFALL

REDBURN and TOBY skirt their way along the line of grass to a rocky promontory overlooking the falls. They stand and peer down at the straight descent of a three-hundred-foot cascade. Following the course the water takes from there, they scan a mild river running through fields of taro and orchards of breadfruit trees. Farther along, roofs of thatched structures multiply as the stream nears the sea, about 5-miles away. The partners are stunned with amazed disbelief.

 

REDBURN

Well, Toby – What’s to be done now?

 

Toby glances back over his shoulder. A steep grade covered with foliage blocks all sense of direction.

 

TOBY

Since…we can’t beat a retreat, I suppose we must shove forward.

 

REDBURN

Very true, dear brother, but how do you propose to accomplish such an amiable ambition?

 

TOBY

We ride the waterfall straight down.

 

REDBURN

It’s the easiest thing in the world to jump, hothead, but the hard thing will be the report of rocks on our limbs when we land.

 

Toby doesn’t listen. He focuses on the flank of the waterfall. Toby motions with his head.

 

TOBY

Look. See those roots? They fall straight

off the cliff.

 

Redburn turns to see various tree roots cascading in clumps, like dark and mossy icicles, continually sprayed by mists from the falls. Suddenly Toby clamps a hand on Redburn’s shoulder. He croons right in his ear.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

Are you ready to venture it?

 

Redburn’s gaze glides into Toby’s big baby-blues, only inches away.

 

REDBURN

I am.

 

EXT. TOP OF CLIFF FLANKING WATERFALL

TOBY leads the way as he and REDBURN edge over the tops of slippery tree roots. At a likely spot, he stops and carefully sits. He reaches down, and by feel, selects a sturdy root. Toby grabs ahold, and swings his legs out to lock them around the root. He begins to lower himself. Redburn moves to where Toby had started, looks down on the top of Toby’s head, and beyond to the craggy terrain beneath his partner. Redburn slowly sits.

 

EXT. CLIFF FACE

TOBY’s progress is halted. His root is getting too thin. He spies and tugs on a nearby root. Toby transfers to this one. He looks up and yells at REDBURN.

 

TOBY

Come on! It’s fine – do as I do.

 

EXT. TOP OF CLIFF FLANKING WATERFALL

REDBURN grabs the same root Toby is on, and inches his way off the cliff. He frantically wraps his legs around the root and begins a not-too steady descent. After a couple of controlled movements, Redburn begins to slip.

 

EXT. CLIFF FACE

REDBURN slides uncontrolled. He can see TOBY’s hat below him. He yells out.

 

REDBURN

Toby! Heads up!

 

Redburn clamps down with all his might, but by the time he is able to stop, he is precariously close to the top of Toby’s head.

 

TOBY

Mate! Do me the kindness of not falling until I get out of your way.

 

Toby swings onto another root. Redburn gets the notion not to use the roots already ‘cleaned’ by Toby. He transfers and continues down. Finally, Redburn seems to have backed himself into a corner. The roots he tries are thin and snap off in his hand. He spots a good-looking candidate, but it is four feet to his side. Toby has paused below and watches. Redburn feels around on the cliff wall for a toe footing, and slipping once or twice, finds one. He eyes his target, inhales sharply, and kicks off. He flies toward the root with outstretched arm, and just as he grabs it, the root he was on snaps loudly, and plummets past Toby’s head with only inches to spare. The root splashes into the roiling water at the bottom of the falls, still a hundred feet below. Toby shouts up congratulations.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

Good job, lad. You are nimbler than I supposed!

 

REDBURN

Heads up, Toby. I may beat you to the bottom yet!

 

EXT. NARROW LEDGE IN CLIFF FACE

TOBY, standing on the ledge, helps REDBURN down from his root. Both keep their backs pressed against the cliff wall. All the usable roots are gone. They inch their way over, away from the falls, and Redburn gingerly gawks over the ledge. They are still fifty feet above the ground. Redburn rights his view and stares straight ahead. Toby squats and peers over.

 

REDBURN

Well, my boy, what’s to be done now?

 

Toby stands erect. He wears a grin.

 

TOBY

Exit as soon as possible.

 

REDBURN

And how, mate-o-mine, do we do that?!

 

TOBY

Something like this.

 

Toby steps off the ledge.

 

REDBURN

Toby!

 

Redburn makes his way to where Toby had been, and looks down. The top of a palm tree is twelve feet below. A rustle of palm fronds, and Toby stands wobbly. Toby laughs and whoops in a rushed inhalation. He waves for Redburn to join him.

 

TOBY

Come on, me hearty! There’s no other way!

 

Toby gauges Redburn’s hesitation.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

You can do it. I know you can!

 

Toby changes position and the fronds rustle as Toby sinks from sight. His voice drifts up.

 

TOBY (O.S. CONT’D)

Come on! Don’t leave me….

 

Redburn holds out his hands in a ‘hold on’ gesture. He gulps air, and leaps.

 

REDBURN

Christ Almighty…!

 

EXT. TOP OF PALM TREE

REDBURN lands amongst the fronds, but instantly roils in pain. His left knee jerks up to his chest, and he desperately grabs his left ankle. He grimaces as he touches it.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Toby?

 

TOBY (O.S.)

You’re fine. Start climbing down.

 

Redburn rolls over to see TOBY climbing down the trunk. Redburn turns onto his back, clutching the brim of his hat: he can’t stay here, but can he make it down? He turns again; Toby is on the ground, looking around impatiently. Redburn inhales sharply and disappears from view.

 

EXT. BASE OF PALM TREE

TOBY has antsy feet, but he raises his arms, and REDBURN falls the last few feet into them. Redburn won’t let go, and hops a few times, giving Toby the idea that the left leg is a problem. Toby helps Redburn sit at the base of the tree. He plops down next to him. Redburn lifts his trouser leg and Toby inspects an ankle bruised and beginning to swell. Toby leans back against the tree. Before them spreads a quiet valley.

 

TOBY

Well. We made it.

 

REDBURN

Yes, but made it where?

 

[Part 2 – III: A Trip into Town]

EXT. HIGH VALLEY PATH – MID-AFTERNOON

Trudging downhill, TOBY has his arm under REDBURN’s armpit, and is supporting him while they walk.

 

REDBURN

Toby, mate, this is serious business. We can’t intone willy-nilly the name of tribes that might

be enemies here. Mum’s the word till we know where we are.

 

TOBY

Aye, lad. Aye.

 

They begin to perceive a looming clearing on their left. As they near its entrance, both stop in wonder. From the path, a mighty forty-foot-high Tahitian gooseberry tree is carpeted with ripe yellow fruit that grows like bunches of grapes straight from its branches. A two-hundred-foot clearing surrounds the tree.

 

EXT. CLEARING

REDBURN and TOBY rush towards the tree. Toby un-shoulders his pack to better aid Redburn’s speed. Toby deposits Redburn against the tree trunk, then runs bedlam looking for a stick. He finds one and begins to swing at the fruit. It falls, and Toby yells in exhilaration. He drops hard to his knees, and uses his jersey to hold the collected fruit. He pops one in his mouth and stumbles over to his mate. The two sit and contentedly gorge themselves.

 

EXT. CLEARING – LATE AFTERNOON

REDBURN and TOBY lie beneath the tree and stare up at a constellation of pale yellow fruit. Toby suddenly misses his bag. He sits, then stands and spots it. He casually goes up to the bag laying near the perimeter of the clearing. Redburn sits up and watches. Toby bends down unconcernedly to retrieve the bag. He stops. Something catches his eye in the undergrowth.

 

REDBURN

Toby? What is it?

 

Toby, while still bent, waves his hand for Redburn to stay away. Redburn gets up and hobbles over to Toby. He looks where Toby is looking. A couple of feet in, a small BOY and GIRL stare out at them. The boy’s hand is covering the girl’s mouth. They wear woven belts with fresh green breadfruit leaves hanging down as kilts.

 

TOBY

(half-mouthed)

What do we do?

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Hello!

 

The boy and girl do not react, except with wider eyes. Toby gets an idea. He sits cross-legged facing the children. He makes a show of rooting in the bag, and slowly extracts one string of beads, which he holds up. He acts surprised, and pulls out a second string. The boy drops his hand from the girl.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

A gift for you. Come, get it.

 

The children exchange an expectant glance, then the boy pushes the girl forward, and follows her out into the clearing. Redburn takes one string and places it around the neck of the boy. He repeats this with the girl. The kids pick up the beads and look at them.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Where are the older people?

 

The kids point down the path.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Let’s go.

 

[Part 2 – IV: The Welcoming Committee]

EXT. VALLEY PATH

TOBY supports REDBURN as they walk. The BOY and GIRL are trooping in front of them, but turned to watch the men. Toby smiles at them with a head nod.

 

TOBY

(low tone)

I think we try to learn what we can before the grown-ups appear. I’m going to…

 

Toby asks the children loudly.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Happar, good?

 

REDBURN

Toby! I said don’t.

 

The kids look at each other amazed.

 

TOBY

See. It means something to them.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Happar good?

 

BOY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Happar? Good….

 

TOBY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Yes – Good?

 

The boy turns to the girl like Toby is nuts. Giggling, he asks.

 

BOY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What’s he babbling?

 

GIRL

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

He likes the Happar!

 

Both kids turn to Toby and nod as if placating an unstable mind.

 

GIRL

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Happar good!

 

The children laugh.

 

TOBY

(satisfied)

See. I told you. We’re in the clear!

 

Suddenly the path broadens, and in a few paces, the children run ahead and begin to shout for help. Soon, a few PEOPLE gather, spot the strangers, and they in turn shout down the path. An echoing chain of shouts now telegraphs through the valley.

 

EXT. ROAD IN FRONT OF MAHEYO’S HOUSE

The road enters an area with several houses close together. PEOPLE choke the street escorting REDBURN and TOBY who are led by the BOY and GIRL. A WOMAN and MAN walk along with the kids.

 

WOMAN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Where did they come from?

 

BOY and GIRL

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

The annui tree.

 

MAN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Did they give you those?

 

GIRL

(holding it up – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They said it was a gift!

 

MAN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What else did they say?

 

BOY

(excited – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They love the Happar!

 

GIRL
(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Yes – the strong one said the Happar

are the best!

 

The crowd is aghast. This upsetting news spreads among them. The procession comes to a stop. All is still as they see MEHEVI standing in the road. MOW-MOW, and other CHIEFS stand behind Mehevi.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Take them to Maheyo’s house.

 

As the chief says this, a path through the crowd opens up to the gate of a spacious home. Toby and Redburn are guided in, and the crowd waits for Mehevi, Mow-Mow, and the other chiefs to enter. The crowd swarms up to peer through any available cranny.

 

INT. MAHEYO’S HOUSE

The women of the house – matron TINOR, and daughters FAAUA, KARLUNA and MUNUNI – lay out mats and motion for REDBURN and TOBY to sit on them at the dais. Toby sets Redburn down, then plops himself in tired relief. On the other side of the house, MEHEVI, bald, one-eyed MOW-MOW and the other CHIEFS greet MAHEYO. The other men and boys of the house –patron RUNU, and prime-of-life KORI-KORI, MARMUNU, KARNUNU, plus young teenage MONU and RUARUGA – stand behind Maheyo. ARVA, the family dog, runs around. [See Typee Appendix (Volume 1, page 289) for the Maheyo Family Organization Chart]

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

I have brought you strangers, Maheyo. They may be enemies.

 

Tinor gasps. The chiefs and Runu sit at the opposite end of the dais. Slowly, as Mehevi glares at them, the clamor in the house dies to quiet, then the noise outside quiets too. Redburn and Toby exchange an unease over the nature of Mehevi’s unflinching stare. Mehevi rises and re-sits right in front of Redburn, so close their knees almost touch. He holds Redburn’s gaze. Redburn pulls out a pinch of tobacco from his pocket and offers it to the chief. Mehevi dourly refuses. Finally, he asks.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Happar – Good?

 

REDBURN

(inspired – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

No. No –

 

Redburn gives an urgent look for support from Toby.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Happar are bad; very bad. Typee are good. Typee are the best!

 

Mehevi slowly smiles. He rises regally, and turns to ring-out for the whole house to hear.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Taipi are the best!

 

Mehevi walks to Mow-Mow.

 

MEHEVI (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

See, Mow-Mow. I told you.

 

MOW-MOW

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Ask about the French – Are they French...?

 

Mehevi re-sits in front of Redburn.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Where are you from, friends?

 

REDBURN

America.

 

MEHEVI

(mouthing it – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

A-mer-ri… Oh! Manika?

 

Redburn nods, and Mehevi calls out to the rafters.

 

MEHEVI (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They’re from Manika!

 

MEHEVI (CONT’D)

(to Toby – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What is your name, friend?

 

REDBURN

(quietly to Toby)

Name.

 

TOBY

(smiles)

Toby.

 

MEHEVI

(mouths the sounds warmly and easily)

TO-bi; Tobi.

 

Mehevi pats his own chest.

 

MEHEVI (CONT’D)

ME-HE-VI.

 

TOBY

Mehevi.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Your name?

 

Redburn looks blank. He turns quickly to Toby.

 

REDBURN

If you’re Toby, I should be…

 

Inspired, Redburn returns to Mehevi.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

…Tom.

 

MEHEVI

(pained expression)

TA…

 

REDBURN

Tom.

 

MEHEVI

TA-ma; Ta-mu; TO-muu…

 

REDBURN

Tom…

 

MEHEVI

TO-M-mo; TOMMO?

 

REDBURN

Tommo. Toby; Tommo!

 

MEHEVI

(looks kindly)

Mehevi.

 

REDBURN

Mehevi.

 

MOW-MOW

(impatiently – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Ask about the French…

 

Mehevi gives Mow-Mow an impatient glare, then returns to Redburn with benevolence.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

You know about the French – the ‘Wi-Wi?’

 

Toby chuckles.

 

TOBY

Did he just call the Frogs – ‘Oui-Oui’s?’

 

REDBURN

(mouthing the word for French)

Francee – Franee?

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Ships in Nukahiva. Many ships.

 

This piece of intelligence stirs Mow-Mow to his feet. Mehevi holds up his hand, silently commanding Mow-Mow to stay put.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

The ‘Wi-Wi’ are our greatest enemy: do you know that?

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Yes.

 

Mehevi glances between Redburn and Toby.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What can you tell us about their plans? The number of soldiers; weapons?

 

REDBURN

(exhausted – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Water.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What?

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Water – please.

 

Mehevi feels a great boor. He calls to Tinor.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

The boys need water!

 

Tinor directs Faaua and Karluna to pour water into several gourd cups. The women take these to the guests, and as Redburn takes a cup from Faaua, he brushes her hand, and sees she has blue eyes. As they drink greedily, Tinor croons softly to them.

 

TINOR

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Drink. It is medicinal water – the best.

Drink it all.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Boys – bring some light.

 

Kori-Kori, Marmuni and Karnunu rush out to the veranda to light torches. Tinor asks Mehevi.

 

TINOR

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What about food?

 

MEHEVI

(to Toby – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Food?

 

Mehevi pantomimes eating.

 

TOBY

(emphatically)

Yes –

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

(self-consciously)

…Please.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

We are hungry.

 

Tinor roars to the girls.

 

TINOR

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Poi-poi! Go, quickly!

 

Mehevi tells Toby.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

It’s coming. Please wait.

 

The young men appear with lit torches and position them along the front of the dais.

 

MEHEVI

(to Redburn – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

About the French—

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Six ships.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(to Toby)

How many men on the French ships?

 

TOBY

About…with the crew?

 

REDBURN

Just the marines.

 

TOBY

About twenty on the Blanche.

 

Redburn tries to convey the number.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Two – tens – twenty? Twenty on the

largest ship…

 

TOBY

About ten on each on the others.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Three tens on the other ships.

 

Mehevi looks to Mow-Mow who is doing the mental calculations. He turns back warmly to Redburn.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Good. It’s good you tell us what you know—

 

The food arrives – two gourd bowls with poi. The guests pick up the bowls, but pause in confusion.

 

TOBY

No spoons…

 

Redburn shrugs and sticks his fingers in and scoops up a giant glob. Toby follows suit, and makes an equal mess. The whole house breaks into laughter.

 

REDBURN

Looks like our uncivilized manners are entertaining our hosts.

 

TOBY

Aye – we’re like a pair of monkeys at

tea with the Queen Vicki.

 

They continue to eat. Mehevi gestures to Tinor for a bowl of poi. He holds it up to his face.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Toby. Tommo. Like this.

 

Mehevi delicately takes the fore and middle finger of his right hand, deftly dips it in, and swirls out a dainty portion. He grins at the Americans, and plops it in his mouth. Redburn and Toby try, but continue to make a mess of it. Tinor leads a charge of steaming dishes, which are set down one by one between her guests: dumplings wrapped in green leaves, slices of toasted breadfruit and coconut; and to drink, green coconuts with their tops cut off, and bowls of kava. Redburn and Toby can’t believe the feast taking shape before them. They dig in.

 

MEHEVI

(rising – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Rest. Eat – enjoy. We’ll talk in the morning.

 

Mehevi walks to Mow-Mow and the other chiefs. He gestures for them to rise and go to the door. Runu stays where he is.

 

MEHEVI (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

We need to strategize, but wait…

 

Mehevi has a quick unheard word with Maheyo.

 

MOW-MOW

(to Kori-Kori – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

I don’t trust them – you can never

trust them—

 

KORI-KORI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

True. They’ll all the same – treacherous. And, they stink. Don’t those savages wash?

 

Mehevi comes back quickly and takes Kori-Kori by the arm.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Kori-Kori – mind our guests. They go nowhere without you. Understood?

 

Kori-Kori is abhorrent of the idea, but he acquiesces.

 

KORI-KORI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Yes, chief.

 

Mehevi leads the way out, and is followed by Mow-Mow and the other chiefs. Kori-Kori catches Redburn’s eye, and Redburn starts: there is something suspicious and hostile in Kori-Kori’s intent.

 

[Part 2 – V: The First Full Day]

INT. MAHEYO’S HOUSE – MORNING

REDBURN opens his eyes. Above him, in the rafters, are three bundles about twelve inches round. They are fabric, tied at the top with a rope that rounds the beam, and trails one end down to eyelevel, where it is secured by a peg in the wall. Two of the bundles are of faded and soiled tapa, but the third – hanging right over Redburn’s head – is made from a sailor’s blue and white striped shirt. Redburn becomes aware of the noises of the house – people are abuzz with their usual activity. He cocks his head. TOBY lies next to him, turned on his side facing him, and Redburn realizes he has slept on Toby’s extended arm as a pillow. The sailors are down to their tee-shirts and drawers, and a light tapa blanket is kicked down around their heels. He sits up and is unprepared to find KORI-KORI sitting cross-legged, staring him down. Redburn blinks a few times, then pokes Toby in the side. Toby groans and rolls over to his other side. Kori-Kori does not flinch, and Redburn pokes Toby again with some force.

 

TOBY

What...?

 

REDBURN

Get up.

 

Toby groggily sits, propping himself on his hands. He sees Kori-Kori’s stare. Kori-Kori rises and calls to the rest of the household.

 

KORI-KORI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They’re awake.

 

Redburn and Toby glance around the house. RUNU sits in the same position as last night. ARVA is in his lap. MAHEYO sits next to him. Teen boys MONU and RUARUGA are roughhousing near the door to the veranda. TINOR sidles up to them, none too amused.

 

TINOR

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Monu; Ruaruga! Take it outside.

 

The boys stop playing as Tinor pushes past them. She goes to the veranda door and calls out.

 

TINOR (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Girls! Time to bathe them.

 

Redburn and Toby have stretched, yawned and come to sit at the front edge of the dais. Now they can see through the open front door. A crowd is there, all the way back to the road, to catch a glimpse of the visitors. FAAUA, KARLUNA and MUNUNI come from the veranda. The first two girls hold large gourd bowls with water and sponges. Mununi carries a smaller bowl of coconut oil in one hand, while short rolls of tapa are draped across her other arm.

 

TINOR (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Monu, Ruaruga – undress them.

 

The boys exchange a funny look, then go to Redburn and Toby. Each takes the hand of one of them, and lifts them to make the guests stand. The boys grab the ends of the sailors’ tee-shirts and lift and pull them off. The boys set the shirts aside, making a ‘stinky face,’ then go to work pulling on the drawers.

 

TOBY

(squirming)

Oh, no, Pillgarlic. No, no, no….

 

REDBURN

(to the boys – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Not those.

 

The boys stop, and turn to Tinor.

 

MONU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They want to wear that…

 

Monu points at Redburn’s crotch.

 

MONU (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

…Thing.

 

TINOR

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Leave it – could be a religious thing.

 

The boys walk away, bumping shoulders, and looking well-entertained. The girls come forward. Faaua bathes Redburn; Karluna, Toby. The girls squeeze out their sponges and moisten the sailors’ shoulders and chests. Redburn gazes into her blue eyes.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What is your name?

 

FAAUA

Faaua.

 

REDBURN

Fa-au-a.

(to Toby)

Did you ever hear anything so romantic.

 

The girls raise up the men’s arms, and scrub their armpits.

 

TOBY

What is it? Fay-a-way?

 

REDBURN

(considers)

Fayaway – equally poetic. Did you see? She has blue eyes – like you.

 

Toby grows squeamish, and the girls chat merrily.

 

KARLUNA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Skin so white –

 

FAAUA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

– It feels so smooth –

 

MUNUNI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

I wonder if it smells good?

 

Karluna pulls Toby’s forearm down and brings her nose to it.

 

TOBY

I don’t like this…

 

KARLUNA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Smells the same –

 

REDBURN

Afraid of a reaction?

 

TOBY

As if!

 

Done with the bath, the girls dip fingers in the coconut oil and rub it in their palms. Karluna smears it evenly over Toby’s chest and arms, Mununi over his legs and top of his feet. Faaua extends Redburn’s arm and massages the oil into his chest.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

You have beautiful eyes.

 

Faaua looks downcast and blushes.

 

FAAUA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Don’t let Kori-Kori hear you say such things – we are together. He is very protective of those he loves.

 

As Redburn digests this, Mununi touches his left ankle. He recoils in pain. The girls back away and look to Tinor.

 

TINOR

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Dress them girls; dress them.

 

Mununi unrolls a piece of tapa, which is about eighteen inches wide, and she and Karluna approach Toby. Faaua gestures for him to lower his drawers. Toby instinctively clutches onto the waistband.

 

TINOR (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They want them on.

 

As the girls wrap the tapa kilt around Toby’s waist, Redburn sniffs in his direction.

 

REDBURN

You smell – tropical.

 

The girls dress Redburn, and Toby snuffs Redburn’s way.

 

TOBY

You smell like – axle grease.

 

After the girls leave, Toby starts to dance from foot to foot.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

I’ve got to pee. Don’t you?

 

REDBURN

Um – let’s go to the door.

 

Toby supports Redburn and they move to the front door. Kori-Kori blocks it. Redburn swallows hard.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

I don’t know the word…

 

Redburn points to Toby’s crotch, and Toby – getting the idea – clutches at it and springs from foot to foot. Kori-Kori’s stern expression falters for a moment, then he leads the sailors outside.

 

INT. MAHEYO’S HOUSE

Steaming plates of food are laid for the guests. Toasted squares of coconut, and steaming dumplings are stacked on plates. Two green coconuts with their tops cut off stand by. KORI-KORI leads REDBURN and TOBY through the front door. MAHEYO rises and gently pushes Kori-Kori aside. Gesturing to the food, he invites to his guests.

 

MAHEYO

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Eat, friends – eat!

 

Toby sets Redburn on the edge of the dais and climbs up himself. They tuck in. MEHEVI enters followed by MOW-MOW and other CHIEFS. Mehevi looks officious – he wears bold earrings, a red-feathered headdress, and a finely decorated tapa mantle. While Redburn and Toby eat, the chiefs exchange an unheard word with Maheyo and Kori-Kori, who gestures at the guests without looking.

 

TOBY

Look. It’s the tribe’s commodore – I guess the one-eyed chap’s captain of the ship of state.

 

REDBURN

What’s was baldy’s name again?

 

TOBY

Something like ‘Meow-Meow.’

 

The chiefs settle in the same positions as last night and greet RUNU. ARVA growls at Mow-Mow. Mehevi’s expression is grave and wordless on the Americans. After a pause, Redburn motions for Toby to toss him Redburn’s jersey. Toby does, and Redburn fishes out some tobacco. He faces Mehevi, holds up the lump, and speaks softly.

 

REDBURN

Mehevi?

 

Mehevi beams, rises, and sits in front of Redburn.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Tommo! So kind.

 

Mehevi pushes Redburn’s hand back, and pats it warmly. He glances at Maheyo, who springs into action, telling the older boys.

 

MAHEYO

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Quick. Light some pipes, Tommo wants to smoke! Quickly now.

 

MARMUNU and KARNUNU rush out the veranda door.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Do you remember, we were talking about the French—

(to Toby)

The ‘Wi-Wi….’

 

Toby involuntarily giggles, and shoulders Redburn.

 

REDBURN

(to Mehevi – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Yes.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What kind of weapons do they have?

 

REDBURN

(to Toby)

What weapons do you suppose they have?

 

TOBY

Same as everyone – rifles; cannon.

 

REDBURN

(just remembering)

Oh, cannon; about forty. Where’s our bag? Get it.

 

Toby roots under their clothes and hands the pack to Redburn. Redburn pulls out his stationary box. Opens it, and quickly takes out a pad and pencil. He draws a sketch of a rifle and shows it to Mehevi.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What is the word?

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Gun.

 

Marmunu and Karnunu come up with trays of lit pipes. Toby, Redburn and Mehevi each take one. The young men move on to the other men, and soon all are smoking.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Many guns.

 

Redburn then draws a cannon in the same scale as the rifle. He shows it to Mehevi, who puzzles over it.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Big gun. Four tens big gun.

 

MEHEVI

(to Mow-Mow – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Look. What does it mean?

 

Mow-Mow comes up and looks over Mehevi’s shoulder.

 

MOW-MOW

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

It means they’ve come to invade.

(to Redburn)

Forty big guns?

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Yes. One cannon – big gun – destroy this house in single shot.

 

The men are shocked and pass grave glances at one another. Maheyo looks to account for all his treasured belongings.

 

MOW-MOW

(hotly to Mehevi – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

And you talk of placating the French – I told you, Mehevi—

 

Mehevi rises and dresses down his underling.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Later – not here. Watch what you say.

 

Mehevi gestures for Mow-Mow to sit in his old position. Mow-mow does so with reluctance.

 

TOBY

Well, it’s what they wanted to know – if only Montezuma had been so warned.

 

Redburn stands to put his stationary away – he flinches in pain. Toby rises to support him.

 

MEHEVI

(to the room – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Tommo is hurt! Ruaruga – go and fetch the doctor. It’s his ankle. Run, boy. Run.

 

Ruaruga dashes out the front door. As Toby helps Redburn sit, he tries to distract his mate from his pain. He motions with his chin towards Arva.

 

TOBY

What in the name of Great Danes everywhere do you think that is?

 

REDBURN

Some sort of hairless – rat?

 

TOBY

I have a sinking suspicion it passes for a dog of sorts in these parts.

 

Monu, seeing their interest, goes and picks up the dog. He brings Arva to the sailors, and holds it up to their faces – they recoil.

 

MONU

Arva. Arva!

 

The boy cuddles his dog.

 

REDBURN

(smiles a bit)

Arva. Hell of a name; hell of a dog….

 

RUARUGA comes back holding the doctor’s bag and several green coconut leaves. The DOCTOR follows him in.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Toby – look at that old Hippocrates – Don’t let them – Don’t…..

 

The Doctor immediately latches onto Redburn’s ankle. Mehevi motions for Toby to scoot, and sits himself on the other side of Redburn. The Doctor at first gently palpates all around the perimeter of soreness. Redburn stiffens. Suddenly, the Doctor casually begins to hammer on the tenderest spots. Redburn immediately roars in pain and tries to stand. Mehevi takes his shoulders and pins him to his seat.

 

TOBY

(springing up)

Oh, God. Oh, my God!

 

Toby can’t figure out what to do. Redburn is nearly screaming now, but Toby doesn’t want to lay a hand on the chief, so he begins to sign-language to Mehevi, to Tinor, to Maheyo, about pain, and letting his mate stand, and on and on. Toby panics. He drops to his knees before Mehevi and the Doctor. He makes supplicant hands to them, and tears of fright roll down his cheeks.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

Please stop. Stop….

 

Mehevi and the Doctor are somewhat puzzled by Toby’s tears, but the doc assesses that the ankle is better. He motions for Ruaruga to hand him his bag and plant-leaf bandages.

 

DOCTOR

(to Mehevi – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Hold him.

 

The Doctor pulls out a small gourd bowl sealed with a leaf. Uncovering it, he dips his fingers in a thick salve, which he liberally spreads all around Redburn’s left ankle. Toby rises, backhanding his eyes and cheeks. The Doctor bandages Redburn’s ankle with leaves and twine. He stands and speaks to Mehevi.

 

DOCTOR

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

It’s not too bad. It will heal.

 

The Doctor gives the salve to Tinor with instructions. Mehevi stands, as do the other chiefs.

 

DOCTOR (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Spread on some ointment every morning and change the dressing mornings and evenings.

 

Mehevi escorts the Doctor to the door, and they and the chiefs go out together. Toby sits next to Redburn. He puts his arm around Redburn’s shoulder from behind.

TOBY

Do you want to lie down?

 

REDBURN

No – I think I’m going to be sick.

 

Redburn starts to tremble. Toby freshly panics.

 

TOBY

You’re shaking – you had – Where’s your frock? You want your frock?

 

Redburn nods, his teeth chattering. Toby crawls across the dais behind Redburn. He finds Redburn jersey, and kneels behind him.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

Raise your arms.

 

After he slips it on, Toby sits next to his partner, and supports him – one arm behind, one arm in front. Toby slowly hugs, and rocks Redburn gently. On the other side of the house, everyone watches with the joint recognition of just how close these two young men really are.

 

[Part 2 – VI: First Bath in the Stream]

INT. MAHEYO’S HOUSE – MORNING

REDBURN opens his eyes. He blinks a few times, recognizing where he is by the bundles above him in the rafters. Redburn becomes aware of the NOISES of the house – people are abuzz with their usual activity. He cocks his head. TOBY lies next to him, turned on his side facing him, and using Redburn’s arm as a pillow. They wear only their drawers, and a light tapa blanket is kicked down around their heels. Toby groans, and snuggles in close to Redburn’s chest. Redburn looks beyond Toby, and is unprepared to find KORI-KORI sitting cross-legged, staring him down.

 

REDBURN

(to Kori-Kori – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Good morning.

 

Redburn gingerly extracts his arm, but Toby groans and rolls onto his other side; almost into Kori-Kori’s lap. Toby starts awake. He pushes back sluggishly, and blear-eyed looks around for Redburn. He greets Kori-Kori still half asleep.

 

TOBY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Hello.

 

KORI-KORI

(to the house – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They are awake.

 

As Kori-Kori rises and moves off, TINOR bustles up.

 

TINOR

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Toby! Tommo! – Bathe! In the stream. Go –

 

Tinor gestures to the door.

 

REDBURN

I guess we’re going out.

 

Toby gets their tee-shirts, and as he does, KARLUNA and MUNUNI come with their kilts. Redburn scoots to the edge of the dais, and sits with his legs on the floor. He stands to test his pain level. He is surprised.

 

REDBURN

Don’t go telling that old Aesculapius of a witchdoctor – but – my ankle feels better today.

 

Toby flings Redburn’s shirt to him.

 

TOBY

Good. Indolent to invalid – that suits you.

 

INT. FRONT VERANDA OF MAHEYO’S HOUSE

KARLUNA, MUNUNI, RUNU, MARMUNU, KARNUNU, MONU and RUARUGA troop out the front door loaded down with bathing accouterments. The girls carry small containers with lotions and oils; the young men, gourd dippers and sponges; the boys, stacks of tapa towels. They chat merrily, and the boys roughhouse, as they move to the road. KORI-KORI follows, and is stopped by FAAUA grabbing his arm. She is in mid-sentence.

 

FAAUA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

…He can’t make it all the way to the stream – you’ll have to carry him.

 

Kori-Kori is amazed at the suggestion.

 

KORI-KORI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

What..?

 

FAAUA

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

You heard Mehevi – Watch after them; especially Tommo.

 

KORI-KORI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Watch them – not watch after them….

 

REDBURN comes out of the door supported by TOBY. Toby holds onto something wrapped in his bandana. TINOR follows in a fluster.

 

TINOR

(to Faaua – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Tommo’s medicine. Use a lot of it, we want him better!

(to the sailors)

Enjoy! Bathe…bathe.

 

Tinor shoos them away.

 

REDBURN

(empty repeating – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Bathe.

 

Tinor laughs and goes inside. Faaua pokes Kori-Kori in the ribs and gestures to Redburn. Toby repositions his arm for Redburn to grab on to, but suddenly Kori-Kori blocks him. Kori-Kori takes Redburn by the elbow and leads him to the edge of the top step. Gesturing ‘wait a minute,’ Kori-Kori deftly steps down in front of Redburn and turns his back to him. Kori-Kori stoops and slaps his sides a few times.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(to Faaua – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

No – I – I will walk….

 

FAAUA

(insistent – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Kori-Kori will take you! You must.

 

Faaua gently pushes Redburn closer to her partner. Toby laughs; makes riding crop gestures.

 

TOBY

Ride, Pillgarlic, ride! As I said: from indolent to invalid.

 

Redburn sighs and grabs onto Kori-Kori’s shoulders. The man grabs Redburn’s legs behind the knees, and straightens.

 

EXT. STREAM IN TAIPIVAI

The young MEN and WOMEN of Maheyo’s household crash through clumps of waterweeds in high spirits. In a clearing by the brilliant water moving along the rocky brook, the party sets their things down and the young men and boys immediately strip their kilts and dash in the water to play. Various other PEOPLE are bathing already. As the young women arrange their things, KORI-KORI appears at the opening with REDBURN on his back. TOBY and FAAUA follow. A chorus of “Good morning, Toby” and “Good morning, Tommo!” come from the crowd in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles.

 

EXT. ROCKY OUTCROP IN STREAM

KORI-KORI skirts along the bank with REDBURN still on his back to a spot where a large flat rock is lapped by a deep pool of the stream. TOBY and FAAUA follow. Kori-Kori steps into the water and backs Redburn up to the rock where he puts his charge down. Toby clambers on the rock behind him and tosses his bandana aside. Toby rips off his shirt, then undoes his kilt to show he is still wearing his drawers. He reaches down and pulls off Redburn’s shirt, and puts their clothes together in a safe spot. Toby jogs up to the edge of the rock, arcs his back, and with a smiling glance at his mate, dives into the water. Toby’s head bobs up from the sunlit water and shakes a moment like a dog. Toby slicks his hair back, and squints a challenge at his partner.

 

TOBY

You want to mope all day long? Get in!

 

REDBURN

(self-pity)

I better not….

 

Faaua reaches down and undoes Redburn’s kilt, distracting him from noticing Kori-Kori coming with a big sloshing bowl of water. Standing behind him, he douses it over Redburn’s head. Toby hoots and laughs riotously. KARNUNU, MONU and RUARUGA wade over to join the fun. The four begin to splash and play as Kori-Kori scrubs Redburn vigorously with a sponge, especially under his arms. After another dousing of water, KARLUNA and MUNUNI dry him with towels, and FAAUA gently pulls his left leg to a dry position on the rock. She undoes his bandage. As the other two girls massage coconut oil into his skin, Faaua dabs on the salve and redresses the wound with new leaves. She makes eye contact with Redburn who smiles at her with tenderness. Kori-Kori, standing above Redburn, stiffens.

 

EXT. ROCKY OUTCROP IN THE STREAM – MORNING – LATER

Looking down from above, REDBURN and TOBY lie side-by-side sunning themselves on the rock. They have their hands behind their heads. Sounds of the women CHATTING and GIGGLING, and of the young men SPLASHING and CALLING drift in from the sides. Toby suddenly remembers something, and spryly jumps onto his haunches. He reaches over and grabs his bandana.

 

TOBY

OH – now it’s time for you to do a little work.

 

Redburn sits up, and Toby unties the cloth to reveal his shaving kit. He opens it and pulls out a bit of shaving soap. He calls to MUNUNI who is off a short distance with KARLUNA and FAAUA combing each other’s wet hair.

 

TOBY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Water – water, please.

 

Toby points to a gourd bowl and Mununi fills it and brings it to him.

 

REDBURN

Are you serious?

 

TOBY

I need a shave – you need a shave.

(to Mununi – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Thank you.

(to Redburn – in ENGLISH)

Now – up, and about your duty.

 

Redburn kneels and Toby sits back on his heels. In the water right by their rock, KARNUNU, MONU and RUARUGA pause and watch. Redburn lathers the soap in the palm of his hand and smears it on Toby’s face. Opening the razor, he tilts Toby’s chin this way and that and shaves his mate. At the end, Redburn wipes off stray soap from Toby’s face with his fingers dipped in water.

 

REDBURN

How’s that?

 

Toby rubs his cheeks with the back of his fingers.

 

TOBY

Tolerable… Now, you.

 

REDBURN

No. I think I’ll let my stubble grow

au natural.

 

Redburn dabs the razor dry with Toby’s bandana, noticing the interest of the boys in the water. He puts the gear away, and turns his legs on the rock. He says to them.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Good?

 

Karnunu launches his upper body out of the water, and braces his chest on Redburn’s legs. He stretches out an arm towards Toby, who brings his cheek down. Karnunu strokes Toby’s grin.

 

KARNUNU

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Smooth. Like a baby!

 

Karnunu forcefully kicks his torso backwards into the water with his hands. He comes to the surface, and singsongs to the others. They quickly join in.

 

KARNUNU (CONT’D)

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Toby’s got a baby face! Toby’s got a baby face….

 

TOBY

What does he say?

 

REDBURN

(ear-to-ear grin)

Smooth as a baby’s backside.

 

[Part 2 – VII: A Tour of Taipivai]

EXT. VERANDA OF MAHEYO’S HOUSE – NOON

A slow pan of the railing shows items hung to dry: tapa towels, Kori-Kori’s kilt, a pair of drawers, more tapa towels, a second pair of drawers, then two tee-shirts side by side.

 

INT. MAHEYO’S HOUSE

REDBURN and TOBY sit on the dais, smoking. They wear their belts and jackknifes over their tapa kilts. KORI-KORI rushes in.

 

KORI-KORI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Toby; Tommo – Mehevi is here. Let’s tour Taipivai. Up, up!

 

Redburn tries to rise; Toby helps him.

 

REDBURN

I guess we’re being given a tour.

 

EXT. GATE TO MAHEYO’S HOUSE

When they get to the bottom of the steps, MEHEVI greets REDBURN and TOBY warmly. Toby is supporting his mate. KORI-KORI comes down after them, and Mehevi meets them halfway between gate and house.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Toby! Tommo – how is the leg?

 

Mehevi frowns severely at Kori-Kori, who gently replaces Toby as Redburn’s crutch.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

It’s fine.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Good. Now, let’s visit the heart of the valley, and lunch at the men’s house. All right?

(to Toby)

All right?

 

EXT. CENTRAL AVENUE OF TAIPIVAI – AFTERNOON

MEHEVI, TOBY, and REDBURN – supported by KORI-KORI – stroll down the straight, forty-foot-wide road. PEOPLE come out of their houses to warmly greet Redburn and Toby. Toby smiles and waves, something the locals do not do, but they receive it as friendly.

 

EXT. GATE OFF CENTRAL AVENUE OF TAIPIVAI

MEHEVI, TOBY, REDBURN and KORI-KORI approach a grand passage formed by woven tree boughs. Beyond it, an impressive one-hundred-fifty-yard-long allée of arching coconut trees stretches back. The guards open the gate for Mehevi.

 

REDBURN

I wonder what this could be?

 

TOBY

(swallows hard)

Fairground meets execution ground...?

 

EXT. HULA HULA GROUNDS

At the other end of the allée, a second gate opens onto a clear space one hundred twenty-five yards by two hundred fifty yards. MEHEVI, TOBY, REDBURN and KORI-KORI come into the open. The sailors note that the perimeter is marked by any number of shrines in the form of six-foot-square houses raised on five-foot high stone platforms. Each shrine is thatched and completed with narrow steps up to the open front; each features an idol and offerings of fresh flowers, food and water.

 

TOBY

Like Westminster – walls packed to the brim with the mighty…and dead.

 

Straight in front of them is a third and smaller gate. Flanking it on either side are the narrow ends of identical structures with wide verandas. This compound is the Ti, or inner sanctuary. The two buildings are about fifty feet by one hundred fifty feet. As they near this third gate, Redburn glances over his shoulder. The trail of women following them begins to dwindle. [See Typee Appendix (Volume 1, page 288) for a scale drawing of the Hula Hula Grounds]

 

REDBURN

Did you notice? All the women are now falling back. I reckon they are not allowed any farther.

 

Mehevi leads them to the structure on the right.

 

[Part 2 – VIII: Lunch at the Ti]

INT. FRONT VERANDA OF THE TI – AFTERNOON

MEHEVI, TOBY, REDBURN and KORI-KORI mount the steps, and the Americans see a pure-white gravel yard beyond the third gate. It is about one hundred fifty feet square, and two mature trees are aligned with the gate. They have platforms built around their trunks about three feet off the ground. The back of this court is formed by a structure like bleachers.

 

INT. OF THE TI

MEHEVI, TOBY, REDBURN and KORI-KORI walk through the vestibule. Hanging on the wall are half a dozen muskets and powderhorns. BOY servants greet the party, and show them inside to a wide-open space. The men sit on mats the boys arrange for them facing the yard.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Boy, where are Mow-Mow and the others?

 

BOY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

At the Rectory.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Fetch them, and we’re ready to eat.

 

The boy leaves. First he pauses at the veranda to tell something to the other boys, who spring into action by filling dishes, then the boy runs across the yard and up the steps of the identical building.

 

MEHEVI

(to Toby – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Are you hungry?

 

TOBY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Yes!

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Good. Good! Today is a special day – we have roast pork. It was cooking all night.

 

TOBY

(quietly to Redburn)

What...?

 

REDBURN

(smiling awkwardly)

No idea.

 

The boy reappears from the Rectory and runs back across the yard. MOW-MOW and the other CHIEFS come casually down the steps and make their way to the Ti. With them is the high priest KOLORI in a red mantle and swaddling something in his arm.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Now comes Kolori with the likeness of Manu Atu, our sacred guardian of Taipivai.

 

REDBURN

Manu Atu?

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

A great spirit – Kolori keeps him content, and thereby, Taipi safe.

 

The others arrive and seat themselves; Mow-Mow next to Mehevi. The boys form a line and bring steaming trays of food. First poi, then dumplings, roasted breadfruit, and lastly, a boy with cups of kava. They begin to eat, and Redburn notices Kolori pull back the hood on the idol he is holding. He then holds up a piece of food to the statue’s lips. The idol’s features are smooth from hundreds of years of touching. It wears a fine tapa mantle, and has a bib made of faded crimson fabric on its chest.

 

KOLORI

(crooning in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Eat. Eat, or you will get sick.

 

REDBURN

(nudges Toby diplomatically)

Don’t look now, but it seems the pontiff of these parts had a baby….

 

TOBY

I saw. It’s just as lovely as he.

 

REDBURN

I suppose they always invite God to attend their earthly affairs.

 

TOBY

Don’t all Bishops implore just the same?

 

MOW-MOW

(aside to Mehevi – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Should these outsiders be in the presence of the image of Manu Atu? They may be planning treachery….

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Eat, Mow-Mow. The time to talk is when we have no guests to attend to. (loud baby talk) Is that not correct, Manu Atu?

 

Kolori holds up the idol and nods its consent. An odd NOISE arises; a guttural agreement. Redburn and Toby stop chewing and gawk at each other for silent confirmation that they both heard it.

 

INT. OF THE TI – MID-AFTERNOON

The plates of food are pushed aside. The men smoke leisurely. MEHEVI begins to absentmindedly sing an old song. Soon the other men join in. Afterwards, REDBURN and TOBY clap, but become self-aware that the others don’t know what this means.

 

REDBURN and TOBY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Good! Good.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Toby; Tommo – sing!

 

The sailors glance at each other, and Toby beats out the time for a drinking song.

REDBURN

(SINGS – chorus section)

“Every voice raise a song!

Every heart then pass it along

Like a free-flowing gift

For every free spirit to lift.

 

REDBURN and TOBY

(SING – chorus section)

A bottle, a barrel, a flask –

A tankard, a piggin, a glass –

Lift them high where we all may bask

In brotherhood’s freed tantalus.

 

REDBURN

(SINGS – verse one)

A lass loved a lad and was glad,

Though shipped he far away from her,

With every cheer she was not sad,

But knew he drank to only her.

 

(Redburn and Toby recap: “Every voice raise a song… A bottle, a barrel, a flask – “ etc.)

 

TOBY

(SINGS – verse two)

A lad left his brother on the shore,

Though two men were never more fit.

One the other would not see more,

Until Providence had seen to it.

 

TOBY

(SINGS – chorus section)

Every voice raise a song!

And let no misery prolong

Hearts a-flow but never adrift

From every spirit’s potent drift.

 

REDBURN and TOBY

(SING – chorus section )

A bottle, a barrel, a flask –

A tankard, a piggin, a glass –

Lift them high where we all may bask

In brotherhood’s freed tantalus.”

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Amazing! Like the voice of spirit itself.

 

MOW-MOW

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

I don’t know about that

 

The boys reappear, this time all of them toting a large wooden trencher covered in steaming breadfruit leaves. The platter is set before Redburn and Toby, and the boys remove the leaves. The sailors peer in on three small forms, well roasted.

 

TOBY

(quiet amazement)

I think the tales were true – they are serving us baked babies…

 

REDBURN

(annoyed)

Oh, Toby, be done with your jokes.

 

Mehevi gestures, and Redburn reaches into the dish to pull off a small portion of meat.

 

TOBY

You’re not going to eat any of that mess, are you? How can you tell what it is?

 

REDBURN

By tasting it, of course.

 

TOBY

Saints protect us!

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

It’s Pork. Try the pork!

 

REDBURN

(considering)

It’s oddly familiar – much like….

 

Toby deftly takes out his jackknife and turns some of the meat over in the dish. It’s clearly roast suckling pig.

 

TOBY

Like, pork?

 

REDBURN

Like pork!

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Pork.

 

REDBURN and TOBY

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Pork!

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Eat! Everyone, eat.

 

The men, except Redburn and Toby, stand and move toward the food, but Mow-Mow tugs at Kolori and they step aside.

 

TOBY

I still think they are just fattening us up.

 

REDBURN

Then starve yourself to bone and gristle.

 

TOBY

Too good – can’t stop eating….

 

INT. FRONT VERANDA OF THE TI

MOW-MOW and KOLORI talk unobserved.

 

MOW-MOW

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

They mock our ways – laugh too freely…they are French spies working with our enemies. They profane our holy grounds – come around, Kolori, to support me. We must make for the French before they make for us. It’s do or die.

 

KOLORI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Mehevi’s plan for French appeasement is a popular one. Things will have to change – minds will have to be swayed – before you have a chance to lead us.

 

MOW-MOW

(crafty)

Perhaps the best mind-changer is cradled

in your arms.

 

Kolori shifts the weight in his arm, and a slow descent onto the idol’s face shows its worn and menacing features.

 

INT. OF THE TI – EARLY EVENING

The men sit and smoke as before. KORI-KORI restlessly goes to the front veranda, exchanges heated, unheard words with the BOYS, then he comes back restlessly to REDBURN and TOBY’s side. He gets up again, and Redburn gets the idea.

 

REDBURN

It looks like our welcome here has run thin.

 

TOBY

It is getting late.

 

Kori-Kori comes back, sits and sighs. He attempts a halfhearted smile at Toby.

 

REDBURN

(to Kori-Kori – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Home...?

 

KORI-KORI

(springs up, relieved – in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Oh, all right – if you insist.

 

Redburn and Toby stand, stretch, and move towards the entry; Redburn with Toby’s help. Mehevi suddenly stops them. Kori-Kori rushes past them and out the door.

 

MEHEVI

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Wait. Wait.

 

TOBY

(low)

Your cauldron, sir, will be ready shortly.

 

REDBURN

Shush!

 

Kori-Kori comes back beaming. He takes Toby’s place as Redburn’s crutch, and Mehevi leads the way.

 

[Part 2 – IX: The Parade Home]

INT. FRONT VERANDA OF THE TI

A spectacle opens up in front of them, and REDBURN and TOBY gasp. The Hula Hula ground is full of PEOPLE, while the head of the parade waits for them in front of the Ti. Young MEN and BOYS stand two by two with woven leaf headbands and anklets.

 

EXT. HULA HULA GROUNDS

When they clear the last step, KORI-KORI motions, and TOBY supports REDBURN. Kori-Kori links arms with an equally well-built young MAN, and the two genuflect before Redburn. Kori-Kori gestures for Redburn to hop on. Another young MAN helps, and he and Toby lift Redburn into position. Redburn braces himself with hands on the napes of the two men under him. Before he knows it, Toby is hoisted on the shoulders of two other young MEN, and together with his mate, they are matched along the double columns of waiting MEN and BOYS. As they pass, things happen. At the rear of the troop, a single strong MAN lifts a trencher full of roast pork onto his head; then four MEN raise ten-foot bamboo poles with green baskets of breadfruit suspended from the ends; then five pairs of BOYS hoist five-foot poles, some with bunches of banana, some with strings of green coconut; then ten pairs of BOYS, each with a gourd bowl, lift them to the top of their heads; some with roasted breadfruit, some with roasted coconut, some with Tahitian gooseberry, and some with leaf-wrapped dumplings. When Redburn and Toby get to the head of the parade, MEHEVI is there and signals. Four young MEN hoist fifteen-foot poles with eight-foot-long narrow pennants of pure white tapa. Then the troop begins to intone a chant and stomp their feet as they move through the gate of the Hula Hula grounds.

 

EXT. CENTRAL AVENUE OF TAIPIVAI

The voices of the MEN and BOYS of the parade ring down the vale. PEOPLE and CHILDREN laugh and march along with REDBURN and TOBY.

 

EXT. GATE TO MAHEYO’S HOUSE

MAHEYO and TINOR come out to see what the ruckus is. The gate is opened, and REDBURN and TOBY are deposited in front of them with the last crescendo of the chant.

 

MAHEYO

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Toby! Tommo! Welcome home.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Home.

(to Toby – in ENGLISH)

You, and your dark thoughts….

 

Toby shrugs, and is immediately pulled aside as a torrent of food begins to enter the yard. Maheyo and Tinor instruct the men and boys where to put it all.

 

_

 
 
Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 1/18/2019 at 11:10 AM, Mikiesboy said:

oh man ... seems like there may be trouble ahead

Times are never easy, but here, Melville is witness to the do-or-die moment of their way of life. The outsiders invaders - the French with their guns and crosses - have brought something to the valley it had never had before - crime. 

 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Times are never easy, but here, Melville is witness to the do or die moment of their way of life. The outsiders invaders - the French with their guns and crosses - have brought something to the valley it had never had before - crime. 

 

That's a shame...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..