Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 7,296 Words
  • 1,552 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

TYPEE - In the Valley of the Shadow of Death - A Filmscript - 1. Part 1 – A Course for Adventure

Six months at sea, and though tales of headhunters warn - visions of 'warrior beau ideals' lead Redburn's wanderlust to pull Toby into his scheme. On the Polynesian paradise of Nuku Hiva, they need to stick together, and find the right valley, or else they could lose their heads.

The Secret Melville [02]

 

TYPEE

In the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Film Script

 

 

“There are three things all wise men fear:

the sea in storm, a night with no moon,

and the anger of a gentle man.”
Patrick Rothfuss

 

“No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.”
C.S. Lewis

 

“When everything goes to hell,

the people who stand by you without flinching –

- they are your family. ”
Jim Butcher

 

“One day you will do things for me that you hate.

That is what it means to be family.”
Jonathan Safran Foer

 

“Those whom we most love

are often the most alien to us.”
Christopher Paolini

 

 


 

Based upon the Novel:

 

Typee:

A Peep at Polynesian Life

During

A Four Month's Residence

In

A Valley of the Marquesas, 1846

 

and its supplement

 

Sequel:

The Story of Toby, 1847

 

by Herman Melville

 

 

 

"But with the inconstancy of a desponding mind that speculates in the dark as to the causes that have produced the misery under which it languishes, I would often experience the most bitter remorse after indulging in these reflections & again & again would seek to pierce the mystery that hung over the sudden disappearance of my companion."

Unpublished section from the manuscript of Typee

 

 


 

[Part 1 – A Course for Adventure – I: Venture a Time]

EXT. LONGBOAT OF THE DOLLY – MORNING

The boat glides across sunlit water: oars cut a tropical bay and come up glinting, only to fall and repeat the process. GROANS of exertion alternate with the beat of the oars. REDBURN’s hand skims the moving surface near the prow, and cuts the water into diamond-like sparkles.

 

INT. LONGBOAT

REDBURN rights himself, and with a quick and friendly smirk, flicks water in TOBY’s face. They sit next to each other in the bow of the boat, and are dressed like twins – both in clean work clothes; white tee-shirts, navy-blue jumpers with scarves, white cotton duck trousers, and broad-brimmed hats with trailing ribbons. Toby has an extra, yellow bandana, tied around his left bicep. They feel they are watched. On the other side of the boat, four members of the CREW are rowing hard, while JIM and three other members of the crew sit two-by-two. In contrast to the boys, the other passengers wear colorful scarves tied like bow ties, starched shirts, clean trousers, and various fancy jackets. The Dolly is behind them at anchor. Jim elbows his compatriot, and gestures with his chin.

 

JIM

Get a gander at those two…dressed like they’re going aloft, not going ashore.

 

While the other sailors laugh heartily, Redburn and Toby exchange a silent unease.

 

TOBY

(blusters)

And look at you assorted lot. Dressed in your finest church-going togs, when the nearest proper church is six weeks to the east. We wouldn’t go fishing to the bottom of our sea chests to impress a parcel of un-britcheded natives. Why – out of the sight of you rabble – I might venture a time in the buff to match the best of them.

 

The sailors laugh good-naturedly, and Toby gives Redburn a wink unseen by the rest. Redburn turns and faces the breeze. Ahead lies the shore of Nuku Hiva and its mountain peaks rising thousands of feet above the water. Tropical lushness is peppered with dark rain clouds. A flash of lightning strikes the mountaintop.

 

EXT. LONGBOAT

The oarsmen GRUNT. The water sparkles as the oars cut it. REDBURN’s hand skims it into diamonds.

 

[Part 1 – II: The Escape]

EXT. STEEP TRAIL ON NUKA HIVA – NOON

A light tropical rain is falling. From a low vantage – close to the foliage growing along the trail – REDBURN’s and TOBY’s feet come running past. Their trouser legs are wet and already stained at the hems with mud. They continue up the path; shoes slipping on bits on muddy patches.

 

EXT. HIGHER UP THE TRAIL – EARLY AFTERNOON

It rains steadily now. The trail is less clear than before. TOBY leads by slapping the soaked overgrowth out of the way. REDBURN stops; stoops; braces his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. Both now have their jumpers tied around their waists, and Toby has his bandana tied around his neck. Redburn struggles to call out.

 

REDBURN

Toby!

 

Miffed, Toby turns and comes back to Redburn. He re-shoulders the pack he is carrying.

 

TOBY

(hoarse whisper)

No more lingering! Let’s shove ahead while we can. We have to make it to higher ground, where no one can see us from the village.

 

Toby looks over the trail’s edge. The village – a gathering of buildings with its harbor – is a couple of thousand feet down. In the bay, a French black-hulled warship, la Reine Blanche dominates, while several smaller vessels anchor at a distance around her, including the Dolly.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

(tone becomes more open)

Come on, mate. A few hours more, and we can laugh fortune right in her face.

 

REDBURN

(stands upright)

All right, brother. Quick’s our play – only – let’s stay close together. That’s all. All right?

Stop leaping around like a young roe on this treacherous terrain!

 

TOBY

(akimbo)

Why…remember, Redburn – brother – this is your idea of adventure. Not mine!

 

Toby turns and walks off, going fast up the path. Redburn inhales sharply and follows.

 

FADE IN: TITLE CARD: “The Secret Melville, TYPEE, In the Valley of the Shadow of Death”

While credits roll, there are shots of REDBURN and TOBY continuing up the trail: foliage moving, rain falling with more menace, flashes of lighting and thunder, and the men jumping rivulets fast growing into streams. They are soaked and miserable.

 

[Part 1 – III: The Assessment]

EXT. A CLEARING – MID-AFTERNOON

The sun begins to peek warmly through the receding clouds. Off the trail is a large, level meadow with some flat rocks in the center. REDBURN and TOBY come through a thicket into the clearing. Wearily they make their way to the rocks, and spread themselves out like lizards to dry in the sun. They gaze up at the clouds turning from gray to white as they roll overhead.

 

REDBURN

Let’s assess what we’ve brought.

 

Redburn sits up, cross-legged. Toby tosses him the bag without rising. Redburn lifts the flap and extracts the items one at a time. He arrays them to dry between him and Toby. First, a shaving kit. Toby rolls on his side, propped on one elbow, to watch. Redburn frowns as he opens the straight razor and flashes it in the sunshine. He sets it down. Next, a flat wooden box with notebooks and several pencils in it. Then, a ditty bag with needle and thread; a pair of pipes; a small tin box with firesteel, flint and tinder; several strings of beads; two folded bolts of calico fabric. Toby turns back to the sky with a hand behind his head. Redburn is about to set the bag down when he hears one more thing rattle in it. He reaches in and is surprised to be holding a three-and-a-half inch square photograph case. [1] It is cast gutta-percha with a simple rolled edge and a large raised scallop relief in the center. He glances at Toby, who pretends to pay no attention. Redburn opens the case. The picture is of Redburn and Toby in a studio, sitting with their hands linked. He swallows hard and wordlessly closes it. It goes with the other items. The bag is now empty. He sets it aside, then remembers more. Redburn pats his chest and moves to the pockets of his jersey. Toby rises and sits like his partner. Lifting a knowing eyebrow to Toby, Redburn extracts from his right pocket a mushy fistful of sea biscuits reduced to a pulp. He plops it down. Toby sees it is covered in flecks of brown, runny tobacco. Redburn does the same with his left pocket and extracts a fistful of tobacco likewise flecked with biscuit. Redburn motions for Toby to do the same, and he produces two identical lumps which go next to their twins.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Well – at least we brought something to eat.

 

TOBY

(aghast grimace)

We should pick the tobacco out….

 

REDBURN

No time.

 

Redburn smashes the two pulpy bread masses together. He holds it in front of Toby’s face.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Want some now?

 

TOBY

(turns his head)

Ugh…

 

REDBURN

Aye. Me neither.

 

Redburn plops it down. Toby catches sight of Redburn’s stationary box.

 

TOBY

(incredulous)

You brought pencil and paper...? What for! Did you bring envelopes and stamps as well?!

 

REDBURN

You brought a shaving kit? Planning on presenting a headhunter with the gift of a straight razor?

 

The humor is lost on Toby. He answers honestly.

 

TOBY

No. I brought it to shave.

 

REDBURN

Oh, and you think to borrow a shaving mirror from the local, tribal hairdresser?

 

TOBY

Well…

 

REDBURN

I brought my notebook to record observations; special explanations on our privileged peek into Polynesian—

 

It dawns on Redburn.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Oh. I’m the one chosen to play barber to your stubble, am I? No mirror needed.

 

TOBY

(grins hopelessly)

And, I’ve shave you.

 

REDBURN

(laughs)

We come to another Eden, and your vanity wills out. Let your beard grow! God mentions nothing about 2-bit barbers in paradise. You’re the one joking about trudging about in the altogether…or…was that just an idle threat?

 

Toby again lies back, this time with both hands behind his head.

 

TOBY

Maybe. Maybe not.

 

Redburn puts the items away in the bag.

 

REDBURN

Think they’re looking for us yet?

 

TOBY

Not till seven, when the boat launches back to the ship. I might miss the Dolly. She wasn’t a bad vessel.

 

Redburn stands and brushes the seat of his trousers. He shoulders the bag, then goes over to Toby’s rock. He looks down into Toby’s face, which is half squinting in the sunlight.

 

REDBURN

We better go.

 

Redburn extends a hand, and Toby takes it. Redburn helps Toby stand, then while Toby is brushing himself, gets their hats. He plops Toby’s hat on Toby’s head, and they head back to the trail.

 

[Part 1 – IV: Shipboard Hardships]

DISSOLVE TO:

TIME CARD:

 

“ONE MONTH EARLIER”

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE DOLLY – NOON

A scorching sun beats through rigging to bleach the deck of the ship at sea. The sails rap in a light breeze. JIM and REDBURN are coiling rope next to the Captain’s chicken coop. In it, a solitary rooster broods motionlessly on one foot.

 

REDBURN

Six months at sea!

 

Jim does not reply. Redburn coils harder with frustration.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Six months at sea! Six months, without even a glimpse of a blade of grass; six months

without one snuff of loamy earth raised to greedy nostrils.

 

Jim stops working and fishes out his pipe and tobacco pouch. As he fills it, he sets one foot on the coop.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Look at us. The sky above; the sea below; and nothing else. There’s not a sweet potato left on board; not a yam to be seen – and those spots of color – the green to yellow bananas, the sacks of oranges that spangled out stern yards. They’ve all been plucked – mainly by that Captain Vangs.

 

Jim has deftly lit the pipe, and now grins at Redburn though a smoke halo.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Jim, what? You think this is a matter

for levity?

 

JIM

No, Redburn, my boy; no. See here? Here. The chicken coop. This is your signal, lad.

We’ll be port-bound soon enough.

 

Redburn stops working. He comes up to stand akimbo by Jim. Redburn looks like Jim has lost his mind.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

You think it cruel of me to wish this little fellow a goner?

 

REDBURN

I don’t see what this has to do with—

 

JIM

Well – you should. Pray, lad, for the decapitation of so forlorn a tyke as little Pedro.

 

Jim rights himself and stands next to Redburn. He points at the coop with one hand, and puts the other on Redburn’s shoulder.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

The Captain will never point the prow of the Dolly landward while he still has the anticipation of a mess of fresh meat.

 

Jim removes his hat in faux solemnity.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

Alas, Pedro is the last of the crew that can furnish it to his praiseworthy belly.

 

Jim knocks off Redburn’s hat from behind. It falls into Redburn’s hands.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

Cheer up, boy! See? Look how he’s but the last and solitary tenant of the coop? Remember Pedro as he was – a gay and dapper young cock – strutting as a king amongst his harem of coy hens. But now? Now – pity him that he stands there, moping the day along on that everlasting one leg of his. He turns with disgust from the moldy corn set before him; huffs at the brackish water that sloshes in his little trough. Anyway, my boy, why? He mourns the loss of his companions. He saw them one by one, snatched by that great hard-hearted hand of fate. One by one, his partners were taken from him, to points unknown.

 

Jim sits on the coop. Redburn looks dubious.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

Soon we’ll have to land. I predict that by Sunday, our formerly lithe little fellow will be laid out before Captain Vangs with all due ceremony – and, that before night falls, Pedro will be buried beneath the vest buttons of that very worthy individual.

 

REDBURN

(shakes his head)

We’ll see, Jim. We’ll just see.

 

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE DOLLY – AFTERNOON

The sun in the sky is partially blocked by rolling tropical clouds. REDBURN and TOBY are greasing tackles by the bulwarks. Redburn pauses; stands; wipes his hands on a yellow bandana, and leans over the bulwarks. He grows philosophical.

 

REDBURN

Listen, Toby. Just listen.

 

Toby pauses. He looks up at his mate.

 

TOBY

I don’t hear anything.

 

REDBURN

Exactly. Why is it that when a whaler sails the line as we do, all grows so quiet? It’s like sound is replaced by a rhythmic lullaby that laps along with the tiny waves, breaking them into shards of broken quiet sunlight. Have you ever heard such silence anywhere else on this globe?

 

Toby rises, stands next to him and snatches Toby’s bandana out of Redburn’s hand. He wipes his hands clean.

 

TOBY

There’s more to hear – listen. There. I can hear the sometimes breaths of the grumpus. Forward, I can hear the Dolly ripping the water cut under by her prow.

 

Redburn smiles, remembering how alike he and Toby really are.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

You hear it too?

 

REDBURN

(serious)

There’s something I wanted to tell you. This trip’s been hard—

 

JIM interrupts them by calling from the quarterdeck.

 

JIM

Hurrah, my lads! It’s a settled thing!

 

As Redburn and Toby turn to Jim, he’s coming down the ladder to them.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

The Captain’s had enough. We shape our course for the Marquesas!

 

REDBURN

What? Impossible…

 

JIM

I predicted it! Remember! The Captain’s hungry—

 

TOBY

Ain’t we all…

 

JIM

So we head for land. Why, just now I was manning the helm, and Vangs comes out. I says to him: ‘It’s no good, sir. D’ye see? Why, Captain, I’m as good a helmsman as ever put hand to spoke, but it’s no good – not even I can coax this old ship to windward anymore. Any why, sir? Because Dolly knows the land is under the lee.’ And then you know what old binnacle-eye tells me? He says: ‘Aye. I believe you. And why shouldn’t she drift leeward, Jim? Didn’t every one of her stout timbers, and the very lashings surmounting her, all grow on shore? She has sensibilities for ’home,’ and like the rest of us, wants to return to it for rest.’

 

TOBY

But, to the Marquesas?

 

Toby turns wide eyes on Redburn.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

Why, the very name spirits up outlandish visions…

 

REDBURN

(tries to outdo Toby)

Maidens, like the lovely Houri of classical Greece – and just as naked….

 

TOBY

Coconut groves and bamboo temples. Sunny emerald vales awash with ripe fruit trees….

 

REDBURN

Tattooed chiefs and beau-ideal warriors….

 

TOBY

Canoes dancing on flashing blue waters. Forbidding woodlands guarded by horrible-looking idols….

 

JIM

Pots of chopped up stew, and a feast laid – fit for a cannibal.

 

Redburn and Toby share a ‘that’s a good one’ look, but they frown as Jim makes it clear he is all too serious.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

Study up, lads. Nukahiva is like a fan deck. Some twenty-miles round, give or take. A high peak forms her pinion. Out from that are three vales. Nukahiva, the port, is the largest, and sectioned off from the others by craggy mountains running straight to the sea; next the Happar, and these two groups are as fresh and clean, and friendly as Eden itself. But the far vale, they are to be feared. Typee – the very name is a slur by the other tribes: for it denotes a lover of human flesh. And aye, inveterate gourmandizers of the stuff they are too.

 

Jim pokes Redburn’s tummy.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

They fancy the white man’s flesh the tenderest veal available.

 

Then seriously to Toby.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

You never want to cross into their valley. Like the shadow of death, no one will cross it to rescue you from there.

 

Jim laughs at the two slack jaws before him.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

But, you’ll love the rest of it, lads. It’s the South Pacific’s own secret garden – even though the snake has been turned loose by the devil. The French new ‘empire’ includes poor buggers who can’t fight against their own enslavement.

 

Jim spits on the deck, and rubs it in.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

I’ve heard tell French war ships lie at anchor all across Tahitian waters, and at Nukahiva too. Imagine it? Being mastered by a rabble of frogs? Poor bastards!

   

[Part 1 – V: The Cave Scene]

EXT. ROCKY LEDGE ON NUKU HIVA – EVENING

A faint footpath through low grass ascends further up a rocky outcrop. Over the edge is a fall of several hundred feet. REDBURN and TOBY pause at the start of the path, looking worn-out.

 

REDBURN

It looks a sort of footpath….

 

TOBY

If so, we better beat a path away from any unwelcome encounters.

 

REDBURN

Don’t you have any curiosity. Would Robinson Crusoe, finding a footprint on the beach, as he did – run away from it?

 

TOBY

(without humor)

We are not alone on this island.

 

REDBURN

Come on.

 

Redburn edges past Toby and heads up the path. Toby reluctantly follows. They skirt their way halfway along the path, and Toby peers over the ledge. He shoots an angry look at Redburn’s back.

 

EXT. OPENING IN CAVE ROOF

REDBURN and TOBY come to a high spot where the path ends in thick overgrowth. They gently press through this, and find a flat area that forms an opening to the roof of a cave. The foliage is lush, and any number of tree roots shoot straight down the hole into semi-darkness. They come up to the rim, and cast their eyes downward.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

I suppose this was no path…

 

TOBY

Right – or else everyone who takes it, comes here to jump.

 

REDBURN

Not so.

 

Redburn has an idea. He goes to a safe spot, grabs ahold of one of the roots, and tugs on it hard to test its strength.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

They who come here manage a descent without a leap of faith. Shall we attempt the same feat?

 

Redburn doesn’t wait for a reply. As Toby makes his way to him, Redburn grabs the root and steps off the ledge. He looks up into Toby’s concerned face standing above him where he had just been.

 

TOBY

(amazed)

And what in the name of dirty coal-holes everywhere do you expect to find at the bottom? A broken neck!

 

Redburn motions for Toby’s help in rejoining him on top. He does so and they stand together on the ledge.

 

REDBURN

No, Toby, I expect to find a place to shelter. The sun goes down. Do you have another idea?

 

TOBY

I’ll tell you what, my pleasant fellow, if you intend to pry into every damn nook that catches your magpie fancy, we’ll quickly get knocked on the head by petulant locals. And that – even by your standards of adventure – would not be welcomed.

 

Toby becomes sincere and urgent. He takes Redburn by the forearm.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

For God’s sake – just, for once, take my advice. Steer clear! We need to find a place to

moor ourselves fast for the night – before it gets too dark.

 

REDBURN

(extracts his arm)

That’s just what I’ve been driving at. I wager that the cave is – roomy, dry –

and decent shelter from the rain.

 

TOBY

Aye. And, no doubt, shelter from any decent sleep too.

 

REDBURN

(peevish)

Very well, my brother...

 

Redburn sits on the ledge next to the tested root, and

looks up into Toby’s eyes.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

…I suppose then, I will see you in the morning. Looks like I’ll have to spend the night on my own…

 

Redburn takes hold, and swings himself out. He begins a slow descent.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

…Good night.

 

Toby starts to pace with his hands on top of his head. He mutters angrily.

 

TOBY

Robinson Crusoe – My Ass!

 

Toby pauses and gingerly peers into the hole. He paces again, this time not knowing what to do with his hands. He stops; looks skyward; draws in a hostile breath then shakes a cockeyed head at heaven. He quickly goes to the edge, where he squats, selects a strong-looking root, and steps off.

 

INT. CAVE

From the cave floor, the opening in the ceiling is forty five feet up. The roots cascade down from the aperture like wild fringe to a few feet above the cave floor. Water drips from the opening like a slow-motion fountain. REDBURN is carefully sliding down his root, and is about eight feet from the floor, when TOBY slides down past him on another root, and plops with heavy feet on the cave floor. Toby turns and reaches up to grab his mate’s legs, then helps him down. The two momentarily assess any damage to each other, then as if first becoming aware of it, their faces turn to the orange light of sunset coming in through the cave opening at their side. They walk up in amazement – through the roomy cave – to the precipice of the cave door. Starting from the back of their heads, and then over them, a high vista looks over a super-lush valley falling away from the cave. Far below them a stream meanders, with several rivulets feeding it, through the valley and off to the sea about ten miles away. On the sea, at the horizon, the orange disc of the setting sun is half submerged.

 

INT. CAVE – NIGHT

A mellow fire is calmly crackling. Above it, REDBURN and TOBY are standing and warming their hands and backsides.

 

TOBY

Does the valley of the Happar lie before us; that is the question.

 

REDBURN

Or of the Typee? What’s to be done now?

 

TOBY

(matter-of-fact)

Descend into the same valley we ascended from today.

 

Redburn looks shocked. Toby stares into the fire.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

What else remains to us that we can be sure of? We’ll starve if we stay in these barren highlands.

 

REDBURN

Starve, agreed. But we can’t go back to Nukahiva. By now Vangs has bribed all the natives with prospects of flowing bolts of calico to turn Judas to us, and return us to the hard kiss of the lash on board the Dolly.

 

Redburn pauses.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

You saw the valley today – could the residents of such a lovely place be anything but

fine-mannered, and good-hearted fellows?

 

TOBY

(peevish)

How can we risk it? You heard Jim: Cannibals!

 

REDBURN

Jim spun some tired nursery-tales for us. He treated us just like we were milk-toast boys tucked into our bed for a winter’s night. Nonsense. I don’t believe anyone would fancy our scrawny, salt-brined bones for dinner.

 

Toby drops his hands in an incredulous gape.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

I, for one, prefer to chance a bold descent and brave risking of the consequences,

than molder away in these sloppy caverns.

 

Toby raises his voice – Redburn backs up involuntarily, but Toby matches his step.

 

TOBY

Consequences?! This whole scheme was you mooncalf brain-child. If it were up to me, we’d still be in our

bunk on board ship. You’d risk my neck as carelessly as your own?

 

Redburn tries to placate Toby’s temper.

 

REDBURN

Right – don’t get hot…It’s my fault. It is

my fault.

 

TOBY

And who will pilot us thither – to your paradise valley; possibly of death.

 

Redburn grins from ear to ear. He stoops into a boxing stance, and playfully punches a one-two into the center of Toby’s chest.

 

REDBURN

Why – you, of course! I follow your lead.

 

Toby glares at Redburn, who self-consciously stands erect and lowers his hands.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

Look. We follow the streams. They flow right into the river that cuts through your ‘valley of death.’

 

Redburn gives Toby a playful cheek smack. Toby overreacts. His arm flies up and angrily knocks Redburn’s hand away. Toby’s sight narrows, and he puts up his dukes; one foot going back to brace himself. Redburn, after a pause, looks remotely sad. He parts his lips in regret, and then slowly lifts open palms which he gently encloses around Toby’s nearest fist. Redburn slowly closes his eyes and draws Toby’s fist to his mouth. He punches himself gently with it, then opens his eyes and kisses Toby’s knuckles. All heat is instantly gone from Toby, who now looks equally sad. Background MUSIC softly introduces Redburn and Toby’s love theme. [2]

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

I’m sorry.

 

Redburn opens Toby’s fist and interlaces his fingers with his. He leads Toby to a spot close to the fire and gestures for Toby to sit. Toby sits with his back against the cave wall, and Redburn pauses. Toby beckons with double open arms, and Redburn falls into his embrace. He rests his head against Toby’s chest, and Toby’s arms enfold him.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

This is turning out not to be the adventure I had hoped.

 

Toby is lost in his own thoughts.

 

TOBY

You are the only person in the world that can handle me. You know just how to tamp down my temper, and keep me safe. How many times on shipboard have you defused me from wrecking my face on the fists of bigger sailors? How many.

 

Redburn plays with Toby’s fingers.

 

REDBURN

You brought our photograph.

 

TOBY

(matter-of-fact)

How could I leave it behind? Remember – remember the day in New Bedford we had it taken? We were to ship out soon…

 

REDBURN

The day was overcast. But the photographer rigged some lamps. Do you think he…knew?

 

TOBY

He sees many sailor David and Jonathans. All he knows is, their money is good.

 

REDBURN

Do you remember my first sight of you?

 

TOBY

Tavern in New York. Only two years ago? Seems a life already. You finagled my address from me, cheeky boy – wrote to me ceaselessly – how we should ship together. How glad I was you pestered me. How glad I am you can handle me.

 

Toby moves the hair off of Redburn’s forehead. He bends in and kisses Redburn’s brow.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

I wouldn’t leave you – not if all the headhunters of Polynesia tried to force me. I hope you know that…

 

From the fire, Redburn’s eyes glaze over as he speaks almost from a trance.

 

REDBURN

Destiny decided our fate long before we met – where we would go – how we would travel there – wherever – together.

 

[Part 1 – VI: The Hawaiian]

EXT. PORT OF NUKU HIVA – MORNING

The Dolly approaches the mouth of the bay, and above her fly a bevy of seafowl. A fine day flashes off the lush green peaks rising thousands of feet in the center of the island. A mile in, the large French warship la Reine Blanche centers the harbor, and smaller vessels – minding a respectful distance – surround her. La Reine Blanche flies an unnecessarily large French flag. A longboat is coming out to the Dolly.

 

EXT. A YARDARM OF THE DOLLY

TOBY is at the end of a yard. The breeze hits his face as he stoops to secure a lashing. When he stands, he grips a rope and leans into the breeze facing land. He shields his eyes as he carefully surveys the island. He wears a French striped sailor shirt, indigo trousers, and is barefoot. Birds circle overhead.

 

EXT. BULWARKS OF THE DOLLY

REDBURN sends a rope ladder over the side. He looks down to the longboat and makes sure they can reach the ship’s ladder. The CREW of the longboat steadies the end of the ladder, and KARAKOI’I begins to climb. Redburn extends a hand and helps him on deck. He is instantly taken with the appearance of the man, for Karakoi’i wears a green shooting jacket with big brass buttons. The two stand in momentary silence, recognizing kindred spirits. JIM stands at the rail of the quarterdeck.

 

JIM

Welcome aboard, monsieur Pilot. To the helm, if you please.

 

Jim waves Karakoi’i over, and the man begins to go. Redburn takes a hold of Karakoi’i’s lapel.

 

REDBURN

I shipped my first voyage with a shooting jacket much like your own – only, mine was red.

 

KARAKOI’I

You like, lad? It was a gift from an admirer on board la Reine Blanche, there.

 

Karakoi’i needlessly points, but wants to delay the parting.

 

KARAKOI’I (CONT’D)

And what do they call you?

 

REDBURN

(holds out his hand)

Redburn.

 

KARAKOI’I

(takes it – holds it too long)

Karakoi’i. Redburn, eh? Not easy for Polynesian tongues. You should consider an easier name – like, Tom—

 

REDBURN

You are from...?

 

KARAKOI’I

Oahu – Hawai’i

 

Jim calls from the head of the quarterdeck ladder.

 

JIM

(peevish)

This way, s’il vous plaît.

 

Karakoi’i bows elaborately to Jim à la française.

 

KARAKOI’I

Après vous, le grand seigneur de la mer.

 

Karakoi’i slaps Redburn’s shoulder and steps towards the quarterdeck.

 

KARAKOI’I (CONT’D)

I’ll see you later, Redburn.

 

Karakoi’i winks at Redburn, and Redburn watches him go up and join Jim. Those two disappear as TOBY jogs up to Redburn.

 

TOBY

Who was that?

 

REDBURN

Our harbor pilot – a native of Hawaii – one

of us, I fancy.

 

Redburn quickly turns and looks over the bulwark. The longboat is shoving away. Redburn gestures for Toby’s help, and they haul up the ladder. The Dolly begins to glide to a spot to anchor in the harbor. Redburn and Toby lean over the bulwarks and watch the smaller vessels glide past. Soon they pass the brooding hull of la Reine Blanche and her enormous Tricolor.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

What’s the point of those ships? It’s like bringing a cannon to a cricket match. What for?

 

TOBY

Domination, is what for.

 

Once clear of the French ships, the shore becomes visible and so too a flotilla of small native boats, apparently rowing towards the Dolly. As the ship settles into an anchorage spot, Redburn and Toby hear the anchor winch release; a chain RUMBLES followed by a loud SPLASH. The canoes come closer, all rowed by solitary, smiling, young MEN. They begin to jostle around the hull of the Dolly, vying for better positions and holding up their produce. Some boats are piled high with brown coconuts; some with green coconuts; others with ripe breadfruit and smaller bright-colored fruit. Now other members of the CREW begin to crowd the bulwarks. Toby knocks Redburn’s elbow and points halfway towards shore.

 

TOBY

Look! A string of coconuts is swimming

out to us!

 

They watch amazed as a bobbing line of twenty coconuts bound with light cords moves towards them on its own. Soon, a BOY’s shaved head pops up at the leading end of the string. He smiles and waves, so the couple wave back.

 

REDBURN

But what’s that – a school of fish?

 

Redburn points, and moving out from the shore, a silvery flash of multiple ripples seems to be advancing on the ship. As the ‘school’ approaches, members of the crew begin to HOOT and WHISTLE. Several young WOMEN are swimming out to the Dolly. As they watch in wonder, Karakoi’i comes up behind Toby and Redburn with some urgency.

 

KARAKOI’I

Lads! Let down the ladder. Get to – or you’ll drown those wahine. Lively now; lively!

 

Redburn and Toby lower the ladder. The crew gather in a broad semi-circle, and Jim comes down to watch. Soon Redburn and Toby help dripping girls step on deck. The sailors stand with akimbo-awe, and the ladies move to a spot below the quarterdeck laughing and chatting. They help each other straighten up their hair, etc., and the crew form a new semi-circle around them. Jim licks his lips and pushes the brim of his hat back.

 

JIM

Break out the calico, boys! We’re about to

do some trading.

 

Redburn and Toby exchange an uneasiness, and Karakoi’i, standing next to them, laughs shamelessly at their discomfort.

 

[Part 1 – VII: Hula – Cannibal Talk – Debauch]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE DOLLY – NIGHT

MUSIC scents the warm air. Across the waters of the bay, light reflects from houses on the shore and from the ships at anchor. Looking up, the rigging of the Dolly is festively strung with different colored, multifaceted, glass oil lanterns. These small cup-lights are in pastel colors – pale blue, clear glass, amber, white – and sparkle like a man-made constellation in her rigging. In the area before the quarterdeck, the native WOMEN are dancing the legends of their people. They wear broadleaved skirts and headbands of flowers and leaves. A few BOYS sit at their side playing drums and flutes, and they too wear floral headbands. Arrayed in front of the women are the CREW of the Dolly. Some stand in groups of two or three, arms draped over compatriot shoulders, while others sit on the deck in a broad crescent. JIM, TOBY and REDBURN sit front and center with legs kicked out in front of them. KARAKOI’I sits on his haunches next to Redburn, with arms braced on his knees and hands clenched. He smiles to see Redburn and Toby enjoying themselves. Jim fancies the Hawaiian is some kind of vague threat.

 

JIM

I don’t cotton to primitive ways.

 

Redburn and Toby exchange a suppressed snicker.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

Seems young ladies should brook some underwear.

 

Redburn and Toby laugh.

 

TOBY

(to Karakoi’i)

Aye. If Jim was cappy of the French Fleet, they’d all be locked away in corsets.

 

JIM

Not what I mean – cheeky. You know-it-alls better tread lightly when you get shore

leave. Remember – some of them’s cannibals.

 

KARAKOI’I

(good-natured)

And what do you know of that?

 

JIM

(hostile)

I know it means a savage eats the most plentiful meat on this here island – his fellow man.

 

KARAKOI’I

(laughs – to Redburn and Toby)

If it happens, it happens rarely.

 

Karakoi’i reaches out a ‘peace offering’ hand to Jim, who only glowers at him.

 

KARAKOI’I (CONT’D)

It’s respect.

 

Jim huffs at Karakoi’i’s statement. Karakoi’i frowns, and withdraws his hand. He tells Redburn and Toby.

 

KARAKOI’I (CONT’D)

Respect for your vanquished foe – a warrior, and only a warrior, honors the warrior spirit of his enemy by taking a piece of that spirit into himself – carrying that brave spirit forward in the world a bit longer.

 

JIM

(to his shipmates)

Stay away from Typee, lads, despite what ‘good intentions’ you are spoon-fed. Word is, about twenty years ago, a hapless whaler put in at Typee, and every last man of them was murdered – their heads cured in savage style as a mementos of this ‘bravery’ and ‘respect.’

 

Jim stands in disgust, spits at Karakoi’i’s feet, and Karakoi’i rises defensively. Jim ignores him, and instead lectures Redburn and Toby.

 

JIM (CONT’D)

Savages. Watch ‘em, milk-sops. You can’t trust none of them.

 

Jim skulks off. Toby waves a beckoning hand at Karakoi’i, and pats the deck where Jim had sat. Karakoi’i’s smile returns, and he sits next to Toby.

 

TOBY

Don’t let him get to you. His type is a

fading breed.

 

The men return their attention to the hula, but Karakoi’i notices Toby elbows Redburn, and exchanges an odd look with his mate. Soon Toby stands, brushes the seat of his trousers and wanders off. Karakoi’i scoots next to Redburn. Redburn pretends to watch the dance, but feels the heat of the Hawaiian’s gaze on him. He turns frankly into it.

 

REDBURN

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Are you enjoying yourself?

 

Karakoi’i is flattered, and impressed. Holding his gaze.

 

KARAKOI’I

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

I like what I see…

(in ENGLISH)

Who taught you?

 

REDBURN

I’ve known some sailors – like you.

 

KARAKOI’I

A quick learner – eh?

 

REDBURN

Aye.

 

KARAKOI’I

(in POLYNESIAN, with subtitles)

Looks like you and Toby won’t be fancying any of the girls tonight.

 

Karakoi’i leaves Redburn’s startled gape for the dance, but in a moment, he laughs and turns back.

 

KARAKOI’I (CONT’D)

Some of us don’t.

 

Karakoi’i winks at him, and playfully elbows Redburn to make him laugh.

   

[Part 1 – VIII: Love in a Longboat]

EXT. MAIN DECK OF THE DOLLY – NIGHT

REDBURN walks forward alone on the deck. The MUSIC of the hula fades behind him. As he passes a secluded area, he hears faint and muffled VOICES. He turns and sees two members of the CREW one bare-assed – with a young native WOMAN against a wall. As the half-naked sailor thrusts, the other giggles along with her and pivots a hipflask to the girl’s smiling lips. Redburn assesses the woman is a willing participant, and moves on. At the stern davit of one of the longboats, Redburn pauses. He looks around and assures himself he is unobserved.

 

EXT. FORWARD RIGGING OF THE DOLLY

The MUSIC sounds, and glass oil lanterns twinkle. [3] Slowly we descend through the lights and ropes to see TOBY lying in the longboat. His head is near the bow with his hands propped behind it.

 

INT. LONGBOAT ON BOARD THE DOLLY

From TOBY’s vantage, the rigging with the lanterns and faint stars beyond, looks magical. It is a perfect tropical evening. He hears a sound, and looks up to see REDBURN climb on board from the stern. Toby half rises and pats the spot next to him. Redburn lies next to Toby. The two silently look at the beauty floating above them for a moment. Toby rolls to face his mate, then scootches around and positions his head in Redburn’s lap. Redburn absent-mindedly strokes Toby’s curly hair.

 

REDBURN

Have you given much thought to my plan?

 

TOBY

Plan? To jump ship. That’s what you call a plan?

 

REDBURN

No, I mean – once we go ashore on leave, we head straight up the mountain and make our way to the valley of the Happar – we stay there unbothered till the Dolly sails. Then we ship with a decent crew later.

 

TOBY

To ‘Happy Valley,’ huh?

 

REDBURN

Toby, I hate it here. When we signed the ship’s articles, the Captain made a contract with us too. One, to feed us – properly feed us; two, to expedite the voyage with haste and prudence – but he has broken that compact.

 

Toby sits upright.

 

TOBY

I told you – back in New Bedford, on the other side of the world – a South Seas whaling trip is arduous. I said, it’s long, we should ship on the Atlantic crossing, but you – you…. So tell me, isn’t this the adventure you were looking for? The adventure you levered my decision with?

 

Redburn sits up too. He reaches out and picks up a few of Toby’s fingers.

 

REDBURN

Toby. Mate, listen to me. I have a presentiment that Vangs will keep us to sea for years to come. We chase whales that consistently run before us. This voyage is to end badly. Brother, you know it as well as I do. Some of these New England captains run the crew on crumbs for months, then insanely put into port in Chile or Peru to restock and drive right back out to the hunting grounds. Madness! They can’t escape their own ambition for slaughter – the blood does something to them—

 

TOBY

And so you would make a criminal of me?

Of us?

 

REDBURN

We have rights to do this. I’d rather place my future prospects in the hands of islanders we don’t know, than be manipulated by the sorts of ‘christians’ who have sore abused us already.

 

Toby pulls his hand out of Redburn’s grip. He folds his arms and looks down. He blinks a few, slow, times.

 

REDBURN (CONT’D)

All right. I will have to go alone.

 

Toby drops his arms. He looks frankly at his partner.

 

TOBY

You win. But, maybe someday you will listen to me, someday important. After all,

I only want what’s best for you; what’s best for us.

 

To the look of infinite sadness from Toby, Redburn reclines halfway back and opens his arms. Toby folds himself in his embrace, and they settle down together. The sound of the hula momentarily asserts itself.

 

TOBY (CONT’D)

I don’t seem to have a choice – you’re all the family I’ve got. I can’t let you go without me.

 

They turn eyes back up on the twinkling lights over them. Redburn rises on an elbow and kisses Toby. At first, they kiss tenderly, but as the music grows in their ears, they become lost in passion.

 

 

_

  
Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad to see Redburn and Toby again in another adventure. Redburn's as positive

and impulsive as ever. He's easy to like. While I'll look forward to the next part, after

reading the story description, I worry about impending tragedy that might turn

Redburn into another bitter old sailor like so many others.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 05/28/2013 02:53 PM, Stephen said:
I'm glad to see Redburn and Toby again in another adventure. Redburn's as positive

and impulsive as ever. He's easy to like. While I'll look forward to the next part, after

reading the story description, I worry about impending tragedy that might turn

Redburn into another bitter old sailor like so many others.

Yes, Redburn and Toby were fated to be together, and your question on whether Redburn the young man will grow jaded and disillusioned is a good one. I have a feeling that one thing will keep him grounded, as long as allows himself to follow where it leads. For The Secret Melville series, seven in all, there are a pair of epigraphs that ring the loudest. Both are by Proust:

 

"We do not receive wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can make for us, which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world. The lives that you admire, the attitudes that seem noble to you, have not been shaped by a paterfamilias or a schoolmaster, they have sprung from very different beginnings, having been influenced by evil or commonplace that prevailed round them. They represent a struggle and a victory."

 

And

 

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes to see them."

  • Like 1
Link to comment

i'm glad they are together, Toby and Redburn, but i worry about them jumping ship... that must have been frowned upon big time i'd imagine.   Excellent story, AC.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/18/2019 at 10:24 AM, Mikiesboy said:

i'm glad they are together, Toby and Redburn, but i worry about them jumping ship... that must have been frowned upon big time i'd imagine.   Excellent story, AC.

Yes and no on the ship-jumping. It's a theme that comes up again and again in Melville's sea books as nothing to be too ashamed of. On Nuku Hiva there is no real foreign law enforcement, so the boys went over the top of the mountain to avoid seaside places where they'd be spotted. Once they feel the Dolly has left, they can go into town and look for a better ship. At least, that's what they're planning. 

 

American whalers were out at sea for two years or more. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Then again, these are the mountains the boys are traversing 

 

nukuhiva-montagne-bacchet.jpg

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Thank is amazing.. beautiful and incredible.

It's the start of the actual valley of the Typee - Taipivai. This is the place the real Melville went with his real Toby 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Such a chapter! Toby and Redburn are wonderful to travel with into Typee. 

Thank you for your support, Parker

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..