Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brushfire - 2. Chapter 2

What I hate about this the most is that Michele was always good to me. You couldn't ask for a better wife. And she's beautiful on top of it. And little Scotty was always worth coming home to. Damn, I love that boy...

Spilled milk, I guess.

By late July Fitz was dropping by campus once or twice a week. I was teaching classes during summer sessions; the extra pay helped. A couple of afternoons during any given week, Fitz would stop by my office around three. Sometimes to talk about going back to school, sometimes to play basketball. And at least one night a week Denny and I would stop by our watering-hole after work, and invariably Fitz would be there too.

After what I told you about that first day at the gym, you probably think I'd finally gotten honest with myself. But I'm here to tell you that even by the end of July, I was still pulling the wool over my eyes.

But it was pretty much a sham. By that point, on some level of consciousness I couldn't escape the realization that there was something growing in the air between the two of us. Intensifying, I guess you'd say. I guess maybe we both knew it, and I think we both knew I didn't care, either. God only knows if he did.

But we never acknowledged it. Hell, I never even acknowledged it to myself. Not at that point.

From time to time I'd catch a curious glance from Denny, who seemed to be on his way toward becoming a third wheel. Not that I'd intended it that way; it's just that Fitz and I were in such perfect sync, Denny sometimes seemed to gum up the works. I guess it's cold, but I didn't care about that either. I mean, nothing had changed externally. Denny was a great colleague and a good friend. And I liked drinking with him. But he could have moved to fuckin' Maine at that point, and I'm not sure it would have fully registered with me.

One Thursday after hoops in the gym, I left Fitz towel-drying his hair in the locker room as I went on ahead to catch up with Denny. The three of us usually grabbed a few beers before we went home on Thursdays after basketball. Denny was about twenty steps ahead of me, but I pulled up even with him by the time we reached the foyer.

"Dr. Gray," I said, trading high-fives with him. "Good game. That final three from the edge, that was a thing of beauty, man."

He laughed. "Yeah, I was in the zone the whole time today, right?"

"Absolutely," I replied. I made a show of looking at my watch. "Beer-thirty, man; first round's on me."

He shook his head. "Can't, bud, I gotta get home. Janis had to work late tonight and I gotta pick up Kyle from the babysitter's."

"Too bad," I said. "I'd buy one for him too."

"Yeah, you'd do it," he said, grinning. "But look at it this way: Your money'll just go farther with only two to buy for."

He pushed the glass door open and headed outside. I followed him back toward Science and Math, where our cars were parked.

As we walked, we chatted about the upcoming fall semester. We were working on a joint class, an upper-level seminar on chaos theory. It was my first chance to teach something besides the obligatory algebra and calculus that the new guy always gets loaded down with. We talked about that for a while, then shifted to the home-and-family stuff. I got caught up on his domestic scene and he got caught up on mine.

We got to his car; he put the key in the lock and paused briefly, looking into my face.

"Jeff...."

He stopped, unsmiling.

"What?"

Another long pause. His eyes never left mine.

Weird.

"Look," he finally stammered. "Just...just use your head, man. Be careful. Don't be stupid. Think about everything you stand to lose."

And just like that, the interior denials collapsed, and all the scary stuff I was feeling, all the scary stuff I was intending, buried just under the topsoil..all of that rose up and fuckin' roared.

Here we are, motherfucker. Nice try, stuffing us in the closet.

I blanked out momentarily; there was no time to deal with it, Ice hung in the torrid air, and I was expected to say something.

But I'd vote Republican before I'd admit to anything.

So I swallowed hard and went with, "What are you talking about?"

He put a hand on my shoulder. "You know what I'm talking about; don't make me say it."

He saw me shudder. It was involuntary, and I couldn't do a damn thing about it. I was about to open my mouth to try, but before I could, he opened the car door and said, "Look, forget about it. I won't bring it up again. Just think, okay? That's all I'm sayin'."

He smiled a little, and gave me two quick slaps on the shoulder. "I gotta go."

And with that he got in, shut the door, turned on the ignition, backed out of his parking space, and drove off.

Can't say you haven't been warned.

That's what rolled around in my head as I headed toward my car.

 

* * * * * * * * * * *

I hadn't gotten out of the parking lot before my air conditioning gave out.

Perfect. I needed cooling-down six ways to Sunday; I'd put a lot of sweat into the game at the gym, and I'd taken an extra-hot shower.

And the scene with Denny had left my face burning; How the fuck did he know? What the fuck did he know?

And now this.

Sweat dripped from my forehead.

It's hot; it's so motherfuckin' hot, why the hell does it always have to be so hot?

I grimaced, clamped my eyes shut, and banged my head against the dashboard four or five times, as frustration blazed away inside and realization broke loose like all hell.

I tried for ten years. I did what was expected of me. The heat never left me, never left me alone. But I maintained, dammit.

And just like that--right in that moment in the car, alone and sweating like a pig, a/c all fucked to hell--the fire inside kindled into a rage.

Dark; smoke-black.

Blind and driven and set on destroying something.

I was tired of fighting it, tired of turning away from it, tired of trying to save the people around me from it.

And so I stopped. Right then. It's really the only excuse I have for myself, and I know it's a piss-poor one. I don't care anymore, I found myself thinking. Fuck it all. Burn it all.

Fuckin' bring it. Leave me charred and ruined on the side of the road.

For a few minutes, I made a half-hearted attempt to fight the nihilism. I'm a decent guy, I said to myself. I've done pretty well. I don't really feel this way, and I'm just gonna go have a beer and relax with my new bud a little before I head home.

But I knew it wasn't true anymore. And somewhere in the previous five minutes I'd stopped caring that it wasn't true.

So I decided I could at least have enough fucking integrity to own up to what I intended:

I intended to break my marriage vows.

With a man.

I don't give a shit. Motherfuckin' heat won't let up? Good. I want heat. I want to burn in hell. I want a goddam inferno. I want a bonfire that destroys everything. Fuck the straight and narrow. Straight and narrow never give me any goddam break from the heat. I walked away from it once. For all the good it did.

I was done with this good-boy shit. I knew we had some kind of connection, me and Fitz. He probably wasn't like I was...but for whatever reason, I had a hunch it wouldn't take much. I thought about bringing our two naked bodies together. Combining fire, and fluid, and passion, until the heat burned out the thinking cells and nothing remained to navigate but insatiable demand, unquenchable thirst.

Fuckin' Fitz, man. I'd been doing fine. No worries. No problems. And I was a good boy.

Then he had to show up and disturb my predictable, happy life with his catastrophic, incendiary beauty.

In the moment, I hated him a little bit.

I kept thinking about exploding into him, years of frustrated need slamming into him as my stuff jetted into his insides and my body left his body raw. He'd awakened this ravenous monster in me that had slept, not always peacefully, for a decade. I wanted retaliation. As sweat covered my skin, I reached over and rolled down the passenger-side window.

You don't want retaliation. You want to fall asleep in his arms after you've fucked like animals. You want to feel what it's like to be loved by him. How queer is that?

My eye stung as a salty drop of sweat fell into it.

Goddammit, will this fuckin' summer ever cool off?

 

* * * * * * * * * * *

The fire had died down a little by the time I reached the bar. I don't know how, but Fitz had gotten there ahead of me.

He was drinking Blue Moon with an orange twist, and when I walked up he smacked the bar stool next to him with an open palm and said, "Sit your ass down here. I'm two beers ahead of you."

"Negra Modelo," I said to the bartender.

We started talking a little about my upcoming semester. Right about the time the bartender slid me my beer, Fitz looked toward the door. "What happened to Denny? I wanted him to tell me more about this multiverse shit he was talkin' last week."

"He had to go home. Duty called," I said. "You Air Force boys ought to know something about that, right?"

"I'll never tell," he said, smirking.

"I guess I'll never ask then," I responded, oblivious to any subtext. That is, until I saw his grin falter.

And then I realized what I'd said.

I could feel myself blush. A good five seconds of silence passed as he looked into my face, apprasing.

He took in a breath, let it out slowly, and shook his head as he said, "Well, your call. Whatever you need, hoss."

What?

Before I could get a handle on the moment, though, he laughed and said, "Anyway, it's his loss; I was buyin'."

With that, he launched into a story about a girl he'd picked up earlier in the week--and fucked--in an elevator.

We drank. We recapped the basketball game we'd played. We talked long and loud. Laughed. Drank some more. He slapped me on the back a couple of times. The heat surged, the heat ebbed. In certain spaces, it felt like regular good times between two regular guys. But then then this unbearable intensity would roll over me, maddening in its inconsistency; flickering, alternating, one feeling replacing the other one and being replaced again, sometimes within the space of a minute.

He had a way of making his whole life sound like a comedy routine as he talked. Even the hard times and disasters he'd faced, he managed to find the weird humor in all of it.

Back and forth the conversation went. Occasionally we'd look up at the baseball game on the screen and talk about it; then we'd then head back into the next subject. The rhythm and the flow and the wash of good feeling--and the beer, I'll admit--had taken the edge off.

He was self-effacing and confident all at the same time, and at first the combination only served to stoke the coals for me, but as time went on, I was so busy drinking and smiling and laughing and feeling completely at ease with him, I'd distanced myself from the urgency and tension just below the surface.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

It happened in the middle of all that, during a natural lull in the conversation. You know, one of those quiet places between remarks that feels perfectly comfortable when you're good friends.

I was drumming my fingers on the bar, in rhythm with the drumbeat on an old Whitesnake tune--"The Deeper the Love"--coming from the speakers.

I looked up from my beer and saw him staring into my face.

As I started to speak, he touched my hand with his; pulled away a little; then, tentatively, he brought it back and let it rest on top of mine.

When he finally spoke--so low I could barely make out the words--all I could think of was acres of burning scrub.

"Look, Jeff...don't you think it's time we got real and owned up to we don't wanna keep our feet on the brakes?"

Copyright © 2007-2014 Adam Phillips; All Rights Reserved. This story and its characters remain the property of the author and may not be reproduced or republished elsewhere without the author's written consent. Chapters may contain scenes depicting a loving and/or sexual relationship between consenting males. If you find this material morally or legally questionable, please do not read further.
  • Like 22
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's so weird re-reading this again seven years after the first time, at the perspective of being 28 instead of being 21. I really liked Jeff's friend pretty much could see what was going on, but couldn't bring himself to actually say it. As someone who grew up in a world where terms like "lesbian" and "gay" and "bisexual" or "bi-curious" were thrown around with ease, it was interesting to see the mindset of someone who's not really comfortable with those words because they grew up in a very conservative environment. I really didn't understand that until I moved to Western P.A. for grad school and saw how people would react when I'd tell them that I had an openly lesbian principal at my high school, or when I heard about the kinds of things that were happening to LGBT kids on campus.

And of course, the friend's reaction is exacerbated by the fact that he knows Jeff is married, and he's likely been charmed by Jeff's lovely wife Michelle at staff functions.

I think I also get Fitz more- he's a guy who's life didn't really turn out the way he wanted it to, and at late 20's that's when you start to see the people who at least appear to have made it (i.e. Jeff) vs. those who seem like they're still searching, in terms of Fitz.

I do think Jeff's repression was pretty fascinating- that you can get to nearly 30 and deny such a huge part of yourself because you're a slave to an image that people want you to fulfill, until you just can't anymore.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The underlying turmoil in this chapter read like a "brushfire". I was hot just reading it. What a way to end a day. Your best friend gives you advice that you know is true, but your inner self pushes you in the opposite direction. Fitz opened the gate though :o-_-

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love this story because it gets at some of the tensions and turmoil that we Bis have struggle with when taking that first step down a new path. The excitement and risks both tugging at you in different directions. You have done a very good even excellent job I should say of portraying those feelings.

So glad that you have gotten back your mojo, Adam. I look forward to each new chapter as well as stories to come.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/25/2014 07:26 PM, methodwriter85 said:
It's so weird re-reading this again seven years after the first time, at the perspective of being 28 instead of being 21. I really liked Jeff's friend pretty much could see what was going on, but couldn't bring himself to actually say it. As someone who grew up in a world where terms like "lesbian" and "gay" and "bisexual" or "bi-curious" were thrown around with ease, it was interesting to see the mindset of someone who's not really comfortable with those words because they grew up in a very conservative environment. I really didn't understand that until I moved to Western P.A. for grad school and saw how people would react when I'd tell them that I had an openly lesbian principal at my high school, or when I heard about the kinds of things that were happening to LGBT kids on campus.

And of course, the friend's reaction is exacerbated by the fact that he knows Jeff is married, and he's likely been charmed by Jeff's lovely wife Michelle at staff functions.

I think I also get Fitz more- he's a guy who's life didn't really turn out the way he wanted it to, and at late 20's that's when you start to see the people who at least appear to have made it (i.e. Jeff) vs. those who seem like they're still searching, in terms of Fitz.

I do think Jeff's repression was pretty fascinating- that you can get to nearly 30 and deny such a huge part of yourself because you're a slave to an image that people want you to fulfill, until you just can't anymore.

If you've read any literary criticism, you know that there's a lot of debate about the degree to which the author's intent is germane to the meaning of the story. I have to admit that my take on what Denny said and how and why he said it is somewhat different from yours. But that's not to say that none of that's in there. The ideas and images that fill a writer's story are not uniquely his and are not his property. Or, to put it another way, we're all swimming in the same wide river. I'll explain that some time if you're ever suffering from insomnia. ;-)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/26/2014 03:04 AM, joann414 said:
The underlying turmoil in this chapter read like a "brushfire". I was hot just reading it. What a way to end a day. Your best friend gives you advice that you know is true, but your inner self pushes you in the opposite direction. Fitz opened the gate though :o-_-
I have to admit, I enjoyed the hell out of the core imagery when I started writing this. As I mentioned before, Crosscurents was stifling me and I needed a break from it, so I just let go and started throwing my creative juices at this one. The results were rewarding to me. I'm glad you liked it.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/26/2014 04:55 AM, RLC MA said:
I love this story because it gets at some of the tensions and turmoil that we Bis have struggle with when taking that first step down a new path. The excitement and risks both tugging at you in different directions. You have done a very good even excellent job I should say of portraying those feelings.

So glad that you have gotten back your mojo, Adam. I look forward to each new chapter as well as stories to come.

I've lived those tensions and that conflict, RLC, so I didn't have to reach too deeply inside to get some insight. I'm glad you think I managed to represent all that with some accuracy.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I've mentioned recently that I looked at my interest in men as simply a phase I was going through, and by the time I was finished with college, I would be ready to get married and srart my "normal" life. Talk about wearing blinders! It's not exactly the same as Jeff's situation, but similar enough that I can relate. I'm really looking forward to following this story. Welcome back, Adam!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Denny is very intuitive. Jeff had no idea he knew what was going on between him and Fitz.

 

I can't imagine the turmoil going on inside of Jeff. On one hand I'm yelling, "Go for it! You've denied yourself for far too long.", and on the other hand I'm crying for Michele and their little boy. Michele will be heartbroken. It would be wonderful if Michele could be just like Angie from "Crosscurrents". =)

 

Another great chapter, Adam! :2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/26/2014 09:40 PM, mickey1952 said:
I've mentioned recently that I looked at my interest in men as simply a phase I was going through, and by the time I was finished with college, I would be ready to get married and srart my "normal" life. Talk about wearing blinders! It's not exactly the same as Jeff's situation, but similar enough that I can relate. I'm really looking forward to following this story. Welcome back, Adam!
Glad to be back and posting chapters to Gay Authors again, Mickey. Thanks for reading. And yeah, I think many gay and bi men go through versions of what Jeff is going through.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/27/2014 02:29 AM, Lisa said:
Denny is very intuitive. Jeff had no idea he knew what was going on between him and Fitz.

 

I can't imagine the turmoil going on inside of Jeff. On one hand I'm yelling, "Go for it! You've denied yourself for far too long.", and on the other hand I'm crying for Michele and their little boy. Michele will be heartbroken. It would be wonderful if Michele could be just like Angie from "Crosscurrents". =)

 

Another great chapter, Adam! :2thumbs:

I wouldn't hold my breath for Michele to be another Angie. And of course, what makes Denny even more intuitive is that at this point, nothing overt has happened between Jeff and Fitz.

 

Thanks for reading, Lisa.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Adam - Mickey1952 may be living my past life. In college my roomate and I enjoyed man to man sex. Then I would go out and beat myself up and swear I would never do it again. It was just an adolescent phase I KNEW I would grow out of. So I married had children and 30 years later my wife and I separated because I could no longer deny my sexuality. Don't cry for me. I haven't missed much. My wife and children accept - and love me - but I could no longer live a double life.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 04:13 PM, GAV said:
Adam - Mickey1952 may be living my past life. In college my roomate and I enjoyed man to man sex. Then I would go out and beat myself up and swear I would never do it again. It was just an adolescent phase I KNEW I would grow out of. So I married had children and 30 years later my wife and I separated because I could no longer deny my sexuality. Don't cry for me. I haven't missed much. My wife and children accept - and love me - but I could no longer live a double life.
So many gay men have gone through this same experience. Some day, hopefully, being gay will be so uncontroversial that people won't feel any pressure, either internal or external, to try to be straight.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm hooked on this story after only the 2nd Chapter. The budding relationship between Jeff and Fitz is quite interesting. The blunt comments by Denny really made Jeff do some serious thinking. I didn't experience the experience of man to man relationships until my late 50's, so these budding younger age romances are always interesting.

Thanks for writing. I'll look forward to more drama in future chapter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

"Then he had to show up and disturb my predictable, happy life with his catastrophic, incendiary beauty."

 

This is inflammatory stuff and should come with a health warning.

But I WANT to feel this sickness.

Good stuff, this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

"Look, Jeff...don't you think it's time we got real and owned up to we don't wanna keep our feet on the brakes?"

I loved that line - so much packed into one sentence.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..