Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 1,151 Words
  • 7,325 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confounded: Part II - 18. Chapter 18

CHAPTER 18 --==Kit’s POV==--

For a minute there I thought my heart was gonna fly from my throat, it jumped that high.

“Tom,” I said, rising from my bed. “I didn’t…”

“I know,” he interrupted me, not appearing to be mad at all. “I heard. Relax, I didn’t plan on eavesdropping, I just came to borrow a DVD to watch in my room and then I heard him say you thought it wasn’t yours to tell. But it’s okay…I don’t mind. Maybe it’s time they know.”

I stared at him as he came in further and closed the door behind him again. Then he came over to where I was sitting and lowered himself to the floor beside my feet, his back resting against the bed frame, waiting for me to begin.

“I don’t know the whole story, Tom; I really think you should tell it. I don’t know the details and I think they might be important for you to talk about.”
It took a while and he slowly nodded. Then, inhaling deeply, he began.

“Okay, let’s see…about two years ago I met someone. His name was Miguel; his parents came from Mexico. We didn’t really get along at first, because he was in a biker gang, harassing some kid at my school. The reason I didn’t know. One day I just couldn’t keep my mouth shut and said something to them. They got kinda pissed at me so I ran. One of them followed me.”

I leaned forward, listening while Tom spoke. I noticed Taylan doing the same.

“He gave me some shit about it not being very healthy for me to stand up to them; I didn’t really care and told him he should pick on someone his own caliber, and quoted something to him from a book.”

“Ulysses,” I mumbled, causing a frown to appear on his face as he looked up at me for a second.

“Yeah. It shut him up and then he started to laugh; told me I had some guts quoting that to him. He knew where it came from, which surprised me. And for some reason, next thing I know, this big biker is sitting with me on the curb, and we’re discussing literature.”

Tom grinned as he seemed to remember, drawing up his legs so he could rest his chin on his knees.

“I guess that was kinda weird; a bikerguy knowing literature. I never really thought about that; we just connected there. So the next day, he was back at school. Alone. One of the kids thought he was waiting for him, to beat him up. So I went outside, find out what he wanted and he said he was there for me. So…I hopped onto his bike and we drove off to the beach.”

He went silent for a minute, clearly remembering.

“To make a long story short; we fell in love. I spent a lot of time with him, after school, during the weekends…”

“How old was he?” Taylan asked.

“Sandro? He was 25 but it never bothered me that he was older, or him that I was younger. We just connected. He liked it when I started calling him by a shortened version of his second name, Allessandro. Somehow, it made him feel different; like he was someone else, not with the gang.” Tay nodded. “I never felt that way about someone before. Whenever I saw him, or even heard his bike; it did things to me. I went all soft and gooey.” He looked up at me and smirked. “Must sound familiar to you.”

I didn’t react to it other than give him a slight nudge with my knee.

“We talked a lot,” Tom continued, “about everything and anything. I started skipping classes to be with him; we’d just drive off somewhere along the coast and spend the day there. Dad was on my case about absences all the time but…I just couldn’t tell him. He wouldn’t understand, I think. But Jay found out and started bullying me about it, threatened to tell on me…”
Tom hung his head there.
“I got so mad about that…”

“You almost killed him…” Taylan softly said. “You beat him to an inch of his life, your dad told me.”
Wow…

“Yeah…I…I tried to choke him. If Dad hadn't pulled me off of him. If he hadn’t…”
The quiet moment spoke for itself.
“Dad threatened to send me away to Military School or whatever. Somewhere far away. So I ran away with Sandro. He wanted to quit the gang, I wanted to get as far as I could from Dad; why not? So we did. We stayed away for a week. Then the gang found us. How, I don’t know, but they did. They forced Sandro to go back; if he didn’t, they’d do stuff…to me.”

I involuntarily shuddered at that. I couldn’t imagine what they would’ve done but it couldn’t have been something nice.

“They forced him to come along on a robbery; some drugstore. How he did it I dunno but somehow, Sandro convinced them to have that be his last job with them. Then he’d go. And take me with him. Then the robbery went wrong and he got shot…”

I heard Taylan’s shocked inhale and looked up to see his eyes were as big as saucers, shock evident in his expression.

“One of the bikers called me; he was closest to Sandro. He told me that the robbery had gone wrong and that Sandro had been shot, several times, by the owner. It must’ve been two or three in the morning, I don’t remember. He told me which Emergency Room they’d taken him and that I might wanna get over there.”

At that point, Tom leaned back his head with his eyes closed, inhaling deeply. I guessed he was reliving that night again, judging from several movements in his face, among which a pained expression.

I lowered myself from my bed and sat next to him, gently shoving my arm between his neck and the bed frame until it rested around his shoulders.
Then his head straightened and he opened his eyes, staring into nothing.

“I’ll never forget that night. The blood, the smell…the fight with the nurses because they wouldn’t let me see him…I got there just in time. H-he…lived for about a minute more, when I got there. He was scared…”
A single tear appeared and he blinked, forcing it onto his cheek. He wiped it away quickly with the back of his hand.
“He couldn’t even make a full sentence anymore. The last he said was ‘love…you’.”

I heard a sniffle then and raised my head, seeing Taylan also wiping his eyes, quickly so that none would see.
Beside me, Tom inhaled softly through his nose, sounding full. Once, twice his shoulders moved as he hiccupped.

Then he cried.

Silently.

Edited a glaring error. :/
andr0gene 2005-present
  • Like 20
  • Love 5
  • Sad 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/24/2011 01:25 PM, Frostina said:
WOW! u weren't kidding about the 'There's More' part! :( :(
Umm...this is about half the story? ;)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Cruel fate ...  I always go on a rant when an author let something bad happen to one of the characters, because to me you are the god that created the world (story) that they live in.  I usually lash out at the author for any hurt / heartache / abuse / etc that he / she has inflicted on the protagonist in the story ...  That was brutal and cruel for a teenager to go through !  :no:  I DO NOT like it one bit ...

Link to comment
On 3/30/2017 at 7:10 AM, hohochan657 said:

Cruel fate ...  I always go on a rant when an author let something bad happen to one of the characters, because to me you are the god that created the world (story) that they live in.  I usually lash out at the author for any hurt / heartache / abuse / etc that he / she has inflicted on the protagonist in the story ...  That was brutal and cruel for a teenager to go through !  :no:  I DO NOT like it one bit ...

Yes, it was. It still works. 😉 I may revisit it though, I'm seeing some errors.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..