Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Purpose - A New Beginning - 3. Chapter 3

I hung up the phone, and wished for the first time in months that I could swap Gar in and out at will. Then I saw Ryan staring at me. His lips were taut and he twisted a napkin so tight the tip of his finger had turned red. It didn't take much to realize I never wanted Gar back–ever.

"So….." Ryan unwound the paper and wrapped it back.

"Griffin's missing." I knew he'd want more, but he needed to hear everything. Grasping his hands in mine, I removed the constricting wad of napkin and put it on the table. "Let's go talk."

"That sounds ominous." He let me lead him to our small living room.

"It's not good." Sugar coating things never worked with Ryan. "The Chief said Griffin and his partner were the only two in the detective's room. An officer came in to ask a question and found the partner unconscious and Griffin gone. His phone was on his desk with a note."

I didn't mean to pause at that point, but the message bothered me.

"So…." Ryan raised his eyebrows and flicked his hands up. "Is this a test? Do you want me to read your mind to find out what the note said, or are you going to tell me."

"Sorry." I sat next to him and rubbed his thigh. The muscle beneath the denim had been growing steadily harder. It said because of our proximity, Ryan's abilities grew faster than any of the previous hosts. "The words were simple–bring me vengeance. I'm not exactly sure what it means."

Ryan's body tensed and I knew why. "Clearly it means they want you."

"When did you get so smart?" Ryan flinched and I regretted the sarcasm. "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for."

"It was, but you…you're tense, Will. There's more you're not telling me."

"No. I mean that's all the note said." Even the Chief didn't have much to say beyond that except to babble on about how she wanted my help. "It's the implications that bother me."

"What do you mean?"

"First, there's a leak at MPD, the Chief said as much. But, I've learned nothing is truly safe in a large organization. Either someone disapproves of something and blows the whistle or there's one who's willing to sell information for a price."

I felt my right eye twitch–something I hadn't had since law school. My tai chi sessions didn't fit in our apartment so I had to wait until I finished talking to go outside and unwind.

"Okay, so what's really got your shorts in a wad?"

Ryan's choice of words made me snort and I gave his leg a soft squeeze. "Nice image."

"Figured it might help, you seemed anxious."

"I am. It not that the information of my existence got out, it's who wanted it. What I mean is – it's one thing to want to know where the DUI check points are or who the undercover agents are, those are things people know exist."

"Barrington knows you exist, I'm sure he's behind this."

"Doubtful. At least not on his own."

"Why not? I'll bet he hates Griffin only slightly less than you."

"They've had him under surveillance since the trial ended. The Bureau expected something like this from him. The director called Chief Rawlings and turned over their tracking records to prove it wasn't him."

"Oh." Ryan didn't say anything else and I knew he grappled with the import of what I'd said. Despite my unease, I didn't want to rush him. Finally he turned toward me. "That does make a big difference."

"Yes, it does." He wanted me to say more, but I didn't have my thoughts set. Standing, I fixed my gaze on his. "I need to go do my tai chi. Come with me."

"Now?"

"You know how it helps me find my focus. Something isn't right. Worse, even if I can figure out who did this, I've no idea why they want me."

"Can you really trust the director? What if he did it and doesn't want the chief to know?"

Tugging his hand, I helped him from his seat. "Coming?"

"Will." Ryan' s lips curled down slightly – more pouty than mad. "You know I suck at tai chi."

"And Rome wasn't built in a day."

"Damn." His smile – even in the serious moment – proved infectious for me. "You haven't busted out an oldie but goodie in a while."

"And you're using my corny oldie but goodie lines now."

He opened his mouth, but nothing came out at first. Shaking his head me tugged me toward the bedroom. "You're making me so uncool, you know that?"

After two steps, I stopped, drawing a yelp from Ryan. When he turned, I pulled him closer before he could speak. Wrapping my arms around his body, I looked him in the eyes. "I still think you're cool."

"You don't count."

"No? Whose opinion matters more than mine?" I cocked my head and smiled. "I mean if there's someone else you'd rather be with…."

"Of course not, Will…."

"….I'll twist their arms off and use them to beat them silly."

"Will!" He smacked my chest but didn't make any effort to move. "You can spare me the Dr. Von Frankenstein shtick."

Rather than answer with words, I leaned closer and kissed him. His lips on mine calmed me. Until it aroused me.

"Tai chi?"

Ryan sighed, kissed me again and nodded. "Yes, I'm coming."

I let him go and gently pushed him toward our bedroom. "C'mon, it's a beautiful day and you know how I get when I'm done."

"Yeah, I know. Last time I was sore for the rest of the day." Despite his words he smirked.

"Is that a complaint?"

"Nope." He shucked his shirt and tossed it toward the hamper. "Just a reminder of where the bar is set."

Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG AQG ended the chapter with a bald face come-on! Got me all sweaty just thinking about the possibilities of which we will never get the details.... :huh:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/05/2014 08:04 AM, Daddydavek said:
OMG AQG ended the chapter with a bald face come-on! Got me all sweaty just thinking about the possibilities of which we will never get the details.... :huh:
Dave, what else did you expect? You've known me long enough to know that I like to set the table and you decide what to eat. :)

 

But I think I left you with enough details to decide what they have for 'dinner' :yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sooo...these first few chapters have been great in that yay, they're pretty much happy as they can be together given what they've been through. But it's not really until this chapter that something more than that has started to take shape.

 

If Griffin's missing and "apparently" Barrington's not responsible...I dunno, is it possible that an evil sentient being could be on the loose? No one really comes to mind as far as who could be responsible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..