Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Purpose - A New Beginning - 5. Chapter 5

Only the chief could see me as her subordinates entered the room. Odds were, one of them had let whomever bugged the chief's office into the room. The rest, however, would be useful in finding who had Detective Griffin.

I didn't listen as the chief started talking in vague terms about security and the need to be sure that information is kept confidential. Instead, I focused on the sound of the ten heartbeats in the room. When she started speaking about a potential leak of information that could only have come from her immediate office, I heard two hearts start to pound much faster.

Walking behind the men and women in the room, I noticed the chief's eyes following my movement. When I stopped behind the first person, the already rapid heart rate increased to dangerous levels.

"Commander Guthrie helped someone gain entry to your office," I said after reading his mind to confirm his participation. For a moment, I almost let him hear my words, but I decided to wait until we separated both accomplices from the others. "He doesn't know who the woman worked for, but he got fifty thousand dollars to do it."

The chief stared a hole into Commander Guthrie, and I could feel the heat rising from his skin. I let her twist the knife into the man's soul as I searched the line for the second traitor.

Two places down from Guthrie, Captain Baker stood next to an assistant chief. Her pulse was so fast I feared she might pass out once she became the focus of the chief's attention.

"Chief?" I waited until she tore her gaze away from Guthrie. "Captain Baker also helped with the infiltration. She also received fifty thousand dollars."

"You?" There was more hurt than anger in the chief's voice as she focused on the second person who had betrayed her trust.

All eyes in the room turned toward Captain Baker; everyone except Commander. Guthrie. If I hadn't been standing behind her, Baker would have slumped onto the floor.

"Chief?" When she looked up, I circled the room with my eyes. "It would be best if the others waited outside."

"Everyone except Guthrie, Baker and Harper please step outside and wait for me there."

I raised an eyebrow at the inclusion of Assistant Chief Harper, but a quick scan of the chief's thoughts told me that Harper was her most trusted colleague. I held my tongue using the time to search Harper's thoughts. A thorough scan convinced me that Assistant Chief Harper could be trusted.

The other officials didn't move immediately, appearing confused by what had just happened. I didn't want this to drag on, so I 'told' them to follow the chief's instructions immediately. As for Guthrie and Baker, I kept control of them so they didn't try to leave.

After the six who were asked to go outside had left, I told the others in the room they could see me. Assistant Chief Harper, in a move reminiscent of her boss, pulled her gun in one motion pointed it at my head.

"Who the fuck…."

Chief Rawlings put her hand on the top of the slide and slowly pushed the gun down. "He's with me."

Harper stared at her friend, as if looking for some hint that the chief had been compromised. The chief shook her head, and walked back to the chair behind her desk.

"I'm fine, Jen. You'll need to trust me until I can explain everything."

To her credit, Harper didn't question her boss's request. That didn't stop her from giving me a long hard stare.

"Like the lady said, I'm not the one you need to worry about." I turned my head drawing all attention to the still bodies of Guthrie and Baker. "Your colleagues here decided MPD didn't pay enough, so they accepted money from someone to allow them to bug the chief's office."

"What!" Any animosity Harper had towards me was quickly transferred to the two subordinates standing in the office. She seemed to focus her attention on Captain Baker. "How could you? After all Chief Rawlings and I did for you."

"She can't answer." I moved over so I stood in front of the two suspects. "At least not until I release them."

"Linda?" Harper turned towards her friend and boss. "What's going on?"

She stood up and folded her arms across her chest. "I requested help trying to find who had taken Detective Griffin. If you remember, Danny made contact with an unusual informant."

Harper's eyes went wide as she turned her attention back toward me. "Him…?"

"In the spirit." I open my arms wide and gave her a mock bow.

"Yes, this is that one." She turned to me and I could tell she wanted me to explain.

"The chief asked me to help find Detective Griffin. I don't like to announce my presence when I come and go, so I slipped into the chief's office to wait for her return. Needless to say I was a bit surprised to find listening devices secreted throughout the office."

Harper's gaze went from me to the chief, to the two officers standing in front of the desk. "And how do you know these two are involved?"

Before I could answer, the chief spoke first. "Gar can read minds."

"He can…."

"Read minds," I completed her thought for her. No one said anything for several seconds. This wasn't my fight. Oh, I was certain the two events were connected, but what she did with her traitors, was her business.

"Now what?" Harper asked looking between the chief and me.

"Now we use these two would be Judases to find who bugged the chief's office." I left out my hope that finding them would lead me to Griffin.

"What if they don't cooperate?"

"Have no fear." A wicked grin stretched my lips. "I'll make sure they'll play ball."

Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh my, I thought we would get something out of the pair of would be Judases, but no, another week before the next morsel is provided.....arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Indeed, aside from learning who the inside help was, it seems like there's really not much to this chapter. Evil evil man for making us wait and, I suspect, for Chapter 9 as well... :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/19/2014 12:01 AM, Daddydavek said:
Oh my, I thought we would get something out of the pair of would be Judases, but no, another week before the next morsel is provided.....arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Really Dave? I have to keep people guessing. I promise you - all will be explained, in due time :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/19/2014 06:23 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Gar doing what "he" does best. Loving it!!!
Cole, When I started this mini sequel, one of the things I wanted most was to flesh out some of Gar/Will and step back from the romance. That's what this is so yep, we're gonna see a bit more of what Gar can do before this is over. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/19/2014 05:26 AM, MJ85 said:
Indeed, aside from learning who the inside help was, it seems like there's really not much to this chapter. Evil evil man for making us wait and, I suspect, for Chapter 9 as well... :P
There is a fine line between virtue and evil - I try to walk it, but sometimes I slip. And yes, you WILL need to wait til chapter 9 to find your answers, though you tend to have very very good 'guesses' I some time thing you've hacked my computer. Now if I find picture on the internet of me in compromising positions, I'll know for sure. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..