Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Purpose - A New Beginning - 1. Chapter 1

A short story that uses most of the characters in Purpose. Hopefully those who read Purpose will like it.

It's said, "absence makes the heart grow fonder," I've just never figured out who did the research. Ryan'd only been gone three days, and my heart was anything but fond of the separation. Then again, the research never considered the affect of being host to a spirit.

The logic part of me knew there was nothing to worry about. Even though Ryan had only been a host for a short time, the Purpose had enhanced his body enough that he'd be well beyond most people already. So why did I worry?

"Because it is the nature of your kind to worry."

Some days I preferred it when the Purpose didn't speak to me. "I don't recall asking you?"

"There is no one else here, who else could it have been meant for?"

Arguing with a non-corporeal spirit never really worked in my favor. Fortunately, It never really cared if I ignored a question or comment. Of course that was because I'm wasn't important enough for It to care, but I was usually grateful for the silence.

Ryan of course stewed over it. I suspected with time he'd grow to appreciate the silence. Then again, he'd never felt the need to avenge an angry soul. I learned to cherish the silence when it came.

"Your mate is in no danger, you that is called Will."

The first time It referred to me like that it annoyed me. Then I realized it had been an attempt to improve the interpersonal way we interacted. Now it just made me smile.

"I know." Speaking out loud made it feel a bit less like I was alone. "If he was, you'd tell me."

"If he was, you'd feel it."

The situation was new to all of us–Ryan, me and them–and the changing nature of things as Ryan grew stronger changed the 'rules' almost daily, but I had to believe It knew so much more than it was telling me. As if It fed me little morsels here and there, but withheld the larger cake.

"I do not understand your example."

"Of course you don't. You've never tasted really good cake."

"Even if I had, it would make no sense. Why would I withhold something I have no desire to keep for myself?"

"It's called an analogy, not an example." I got up off the leather couch–yes I knew leather was so dated, but I still like what I like–and headed for the kitchen. Our apartment was small, maybe too small for the two of us, but Ryan loved the view. It had taxed all my powers of persuasion to convince Ryan that buying made no sense. I'm not sure I'd have prevailed at the end had we not found this place.

"I understand it is what you call an analogy, but it is flawed."

My face broke into a smile as my eyes fall on the one-cup coffee maker–the kind that uses the little cups. Decorating 'our' place made Ryan so happy I didn't tell him we might need to leave it all if we were forced to move suddenly. Without thinking, I picked up a little container and rolled it in my hand.

"He knows this is probably all temporary. You can always get more when you find a new home."

"Easy for you to say, it's not your money." It barely felt like mine, but at least it was there to make Ryan happy. Then it hit me. "Why did you say, 'when' and not, 'if?'"

This was another aspect of the 'new' Purpose that annoyed the shit out of me; not answering me when it didn't want to share. Joined as we were, there was nothing I could do to It that wouldn't hurt me worse.

Footsteps in the hallway alerted me that Ryan was back. I had expected a call, but since I'd missed him, I wasn't going to let that ruin his return.

The tumblers moved and I heard the lock turn. My apprehension seemed to increase, not recede. "What aren't you telling me?"

Fucking spirit. When I want an answer It never responded.

His head down, Ryan shuffled into our place and shut the door. Defeated most aptly describes what I was looking at. Something I rarely saw in him.

"What's wrong?"

Ryan's head whipped up and around until he stared at me. I saw in his face, he knew he couldn't brush this off.

"We've got a problem." Shoving his key into his pocket, Ryan leaned back against the wall. "Barrington beat the charges at trial."

This one is complete and I'm going to set the chapter to post automatically every Tuesday.
Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

WTF? I guess I'll have to wait to find out how Barrington beat the charges.

Andy I loved Purpose and it seems you picked it right back up. :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm so glad to see Ryan and Will back, and of course, "The Purpose." I love how he annoys the hell out of Will. :funny:

So, Barrington is back out on the streets. The good thing now is he'll have to deal with Will and Ryan. I'd say the odds are in our boys favor.

This was a great surprise to wake up to this morning. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm happy to see this story. Will and Ryan appear to have achieved some sort of

normal domesticity. Of course it can't last...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/21/2014 01:07 AM, Daddydavek said:
WTF? I guess I'll have to wait to find out how Barrington beat the charges.

Andy I loved Purpose and it seems you picked it right back up. :worship:

Thanks Dave, I hope this one - which is much shorter - will make the grade. It's not going to have the love/relationship part the original had - because, well how could it right? But I think it came out well :)

 

Thanks again.

 

Andy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/21/2014 01:44 AM, joann414 said:
I'm so glad to see Ryan and Will back, and of course, "The Purpose." I love how he annoys the hell out of Will. :funny:

So, Barrington is back out on the streets. The good thing now is he'll have to deal with Will and Ryan. I'd say the odds are in our boys favor.

This was a great surprise to wake up to this morning. :)

Glad you were pleasantly surprised, I'd been gone for a while so I know I disappointed a few people.

 

That said,I think the odds were NEVER in Barrington's favor. All he had going for him was Ryan's kind nature. I suspect without knowing, Will would have gladly snapped his neck and not lost any sleep over it, if Ryan hadn't insisted he play nice. - Just sayin. 0:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/21/2014 02:19 AM, Stephen said:
I'm happy to see this story. Will and Ryan appear to have achieved some sort of

normal domesticity. Of course it can't last...

Thanks Stephen. I think that 'normalcy' might prove a facade that Will only maintains becuase he loves Ryan and doesn't want anything to ruin his outlook. Eventually Ryan might join Will's world view, but here too, I figure Will is going to do his very best to shield RYan from that reality as long as he can. As for can't last? I think I wouldn't bet against Will. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..