Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Purpose - A New Beginning - 7. Chapter 7

Nothing. It didn’t totally surprise me, but I had hoped for more.

“Have you come for vengeance?”

He made my skin itch. I supposed he perfected the skill over a lifetime of using people. Still. It made me almost long for Gar’s detachment so I could smack him hard enough to permanently wipe the smirk off his face. But I could at least pretend.

“No. Had I come for that I'd have broken a few bones and made you suffer before I revealed myself to you.”

His bravado waned as his pulse rate spiked. For all his talk, he had the same fears as everyone.

“I came to speak to you about Daniel Griffin’s disappearance.” I could feel his emotions boil as I spoke the name.

“I had nothing to do with that.”

“I know that.” Given the level of surveillance they had on him, I’d have been more surprised had I found a connection in his mind. But there had been hope. “But I’m sure you have some idea who might.”

I raised an eyebrow, as much for what I saw in his mind as for effect. When he laughed – not the reaction I expected – it took an effort not to visibly show my surprise.

“That’s unbelievable. You think I’m going to help you find Griffin? You two are the reason I got shit canned by the bureau. I almost went to jail for life because of you two and now you want my help? Go torment someone else.”

Before he could react, I grabbed a handful of shirt and hoisted him off the ground. Despite the common perception film and television leaves people with, being held in the air by your shirt is painful. The fabric digs into the only place it can; the soft tissue under the arms.

“Your recklessness is what got you fired, not Daniel Griffin. The only thing you cared about was catching me. Everyone else was acceptable collateral damage.” I twisted his shirt tighter. “I don’t give a damn about what you want. You are going to help me.”

He began the motion to spit in my face, but I took control of his nervous system before he could complete the act. When the reality of what happened sunk in, his eyes went a fraction wider.

Giving him my best sadistic grin, something I’d perfected over nearly four decades of avenging the innocent I tossed him back against the cushions. Both his guns flopped around and one landed on the ground. “Didn’t Mother Barrington teach you that spitting is a disgusting act?”

He rubbed his armpits and glared at me. If he could have harnessed the venom in his stare he might have killed even me.

"You're supposed to be a spirit that can read minds, why do you need my help? Just find your answers and leave me alone."

The resignation in his voice told me more than the words. He knew too much, had angered the wrong people. Being acquitted hadn't been a victory for him, only a reprieve.

"They don't know I'm here."

"What?"

"The people watching you, they don't know I'm here. They can't see me and I've neutralized their listening devices." I let my words registered before I continued. "As far as they know, I'm not even in the area."

"So?" He had a good poker face, but not as good as mine.

"Agent, I can help you if you help me."

"Why should I believe you'd help me?" He cautiously leaned over and reached for the .9mm Beretta on the floor. When I didn't move to stop him, he grabbed the weapon and set it on the cushion next to him. "The last time you spoke to me, you threatened to exact vengeance for the death of your boyfriend. Now I'm supposed to believe that if I help you, you're willing to forgive and forget? Whatever."

As much as I disliked the man, his skepticism was to his credit. If he'd leapt to accept my offer, he'd have been a fool. Right now I needed a seasoned pro, not a court jester.

"There are several things you need to know about me. Despite your disbelief, I am a spirit. I've been alive since before men grunted to communicate with each other."

"Right, and what about Leon." He raised an eyebrow. "What? You didn't think we knew about the other of your kind?"

"Leon is not one of my kind." I'd known from my first encounter with the director that the FBI had found Leon's body. My lack of reaction shook Barrington's confidence. "He was a human who proved useful to me, nothing more. When he'd outlived his purpose, I let him die."

"You're a real Mother Teresa, you know that? He shook his head and stared at his feet. "So my choices are; help you until I'm no further use to you – at which point you'll kill me or let me die, or, I can refuse and you'll take vengeance on me. Helluva pair to choose from."

"The third option is you can help me and in exchange I get the Director to call off the dogs."

"Right and I've got a bridge to sell you." He racked his handgun and set it down. "Why do you need my help anyway? Thought you read minds."

"I can only read the thoughts you have. Your instincts and ideas are only available to me once you have them."

"So you need me to be your human computer. Fuck off. You and Griffin."

The urge to grab him again and throw him against the wall nearly overwhelmed me when a stray thought calmed my irritation. Smirking, I moved until I stood in front of him. "Yes, Barrington, I can do even that."

"What…how…." For the first since we met, he finally believed I could read his mind. "Fine, put your money where your mouth is and prove it."

"Help me find Griffin, and I will."

Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/02/2014 11:23 AM, Daddydavek said:
I don't know why I keep hoping to learn something about Griffin......
THere's only 12 chapters, I promise you I'll tell you what happens before that. Promise. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..